TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
mahohmei

Authorized channel lineup

With the TiVo Premiere, you have the long list of channels that are checked or unchecked to indicate if you receive them or not in your cable package--and if they are skipped or included when you use the channel up/down buttons.

Is there a way to tell the Premiere "If my CableCARD is authorized to receive a channel, check it. If not, uncheck it."

I got the CableCARD working in my brand-new Premiere just yesterday, and the checkbox channel list is not accurate--several channels are unchecked for which we actually _are_ authorized.

Comcast is useless wrt this matter. Their website won't list the channel number lineup for my market (Tallahassee, FL), and the paper channel number lineup I picked up from their office with my CableCARD is not accurate either.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
mahohmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
sharkster

I don't think there's a way to change what they do when channels are added. I noticed, with my old Series 2 Tivos, they always automatically checked any new channels.

Now, with my Premieres, it does NOT check the new ones so I'm stymied on that. What I do is to just go to the channel list every time I get a Tivo message of channel changes and check what I want.

The good thing is that you don't have to scroll through a zillion numbers to get to a targeted area. If you want to go right to channel 800 you just punch in 800 and it takes you right there.

I could be wrong, but I've never seen a setting to change how they treat new channels added. Any channel that IS listed on that list is among those you get, and Tivo recognizes them as such. The difference is just that the unchecked ones aren't in your scroll until you check them.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #3
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahohmei View Post
Is there a way to tell the Premiere "If my CableCARD is authorized to receive a channel, check it. If not, uncheck it."
I'm not positive, but I think this would require trying to tune every single channel.. i.e. it would essentially be the same as the channel scan for clear QAM.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
dcrowell77

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I'm not positive, but I think this would require trying to tune every single channel.. i.e. it would essentially be the same as the channel scan for clear QAM.
Sounds like a good feature to me... Since Charter's packages are more granular than TiVo's choices it is currently guess and check for me.
dcrowell77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
rainwater

I have a document on my computer I keep up to date. I just manually go and tune every channel. If it works, I add it to my list. I have constantly updated the list over the years when new channels are added. Unfortunately, this is the best way for me to keep the list accurate. I also use it to disable channels that have a HD version so I don't see those channels in the guide.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #6
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrowell77 View Post
Sounds like a good feature to me... Since Charter's packages are more granular than TiVo's choices it is currently guess and check for me.
But I'm saying this would run for several minutes at the very least.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:29 AM   #7
jkn

I wish there were a way to check/uncheck channels and add/remove from channel favorites while viewing the channel.
jkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkn View Post
I wish there were a way to check/uncheck channels and add/remove from channel favorites while viewing the channel.
That w/b nice. But the channel list is pretty easy to go through, just a little less convenient. I tend to just go through mine from time to time, or any time I get a message of channel line up changes.

The one thing I requested, last time I talked to a Tivo tech, was a feature to change the channel of an SP, right in the SP's 'recording options' interface. Now that I have HD, I've been converting all my SPs to the HD versions of the old channels but some shows are on hiatus and I am unable to change them until the shows come back.

Even then it's a PITA because you have to go into the SP, click on the additional airings, go into the one with the SP, delete that SP, then when it takes you back to the airing choices, choose one on the HD channel and start a new SP. It seems like it could be easier.

Meanwhile, while a show is not airing, you cannot just change the channel on the SP until it starts airing again so you have to keep that old channel in your list until you can change it out.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #9
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
The one thing I requested, last time I talked to a Tivo tech, was a feature to change the channel of an SP, right in the SP's 'recording options' interface. Now that I have HD, I've been converting all my SPs to the HD versions of the old channels but some shows are on hiatus and I am unable to change them until the shows come back.

Even then it's a PITA because you have to go into the SP, click on the additional airings, go into the one with the SP, delete that SP, then when it takes you back to the airing choices, choose one on the HD channel and start a new SP. It seems like it could be easier.

Meanwhile, while a show is not airing, you cannot just change the channel on the SP until it starts airing again so you have to keep that old channel in your list until you can change it out.
That's one of my biggest complaints, too. You have to remember to keep checking for new airings on those old-channel SPs. It is indeed a huge never-ending PITA, and TiVo really needs to fix it. I can't imagine that it would be very difficult to allow editing the SP channel to anything currently in the channel list.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote