TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #571
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
But I still like tivo better.
I rest my case...

Are you following the Latest Ceton InfiniTV 4 Info Thread?
Not all peaches & cream over there... Hope you have continuing success with Ceton InfiniTV 4.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:02 AM   #572
tootal2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
I rest my case...

Are you following the Latest Ceton InfiniTV 4 Info Thread?
Not all peaches & cream over there... Hope you have continuing success with Ceton InfiniTV 4.
Ceton is doing fine but microsoft doesnt seem to keep the tv guide updated.
My guide only goes 5-12. also it took some time to fix the nvidia video driver flicker and lock up problem. And the wishlist on wmc is not as good as the one on tivo.

I use to only use wmc to play shows i downloaded from my tivo. now i use it for everything. i even play my 3d blu-rays on it.

still got my tivo hd running but havnt used it in a week.
tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #573
Teeps

Bump to put thread back on first page of forum.

The tuning adapter connected to a lamp timer continues to prevent the "program info will runout on..." message, as GC completes almost daily.

Tootal2,
How is the Ceton working for you, any problems?
Old 06-09-2012, 12:05 AM   #574
tootal2

The ceton card is doing fine. but i hate the copy protection system on tbshd.
on tivo hd tbshd is not copy protected but on ceton its set to CGMS Protection protected-copyonce. and it cousing me some problems recording tbshd.

Quote:
Bump to put thread back on first page of forum.

The tuning adapter connected to a lamp timer continues to prevent the "program info will runout on..." message, as GC completes almost daily.

Tootal2,
How is the Ceton working for you, any problems?

Old 06-12-2012, 12:25 AM   #575
schoolbus

Fortunately I found this thread. Unfortunately I had a reason to search for it.

I'm stuck in the Guided Setup LOOP

What's the easiest way out?

I am assuming none of the Kickstart codes will help? I tried #57 to no avail and just gave #58 a try, along with changing the setup to use Antenna Only (hoping this would reduce data to unpack). It's still "Preparing right now, so we'll see in the morning, but I don't have high hopes.

Here's my stats/info:
Series3
70 Season Passes
9/24/10 - upgraded to 1TB drive with winmfs (sorry don't know swap size )
11/5/10 - added TWC cable cards / TA
Late 2011 - Tivo started giving me almost-daily messages about channel lineup change occurred, but then clicking through it basically said "never mind, you're using a tuning adapter". I never bothered to chase down that issue.
Spring 2012 - Started getting messages about running out of programming data. I merely checked the guide and saw data out 2 weeks so I thought it was some glitch. I basically ignored it. I think it occurred a few times over the months but shows kept recording so I didn't see any ill effects.
6/9/12 - I was traveling and went online to Mytivo to request to record Game 7 of the NBA East Playoffs as I was in a plane at the time and wanted to see it when I got home. It never recorded and then I started snooping around.
I found that the last call had failed due to Error S03. That's when I looked online and found this thread (and others). I checked my GC and it was 5/16/12. I saw references to running channel lineup to update the GC, which I did and am now stuck in this loop

In hindsight, I would have done one of the clear/delete steps first, and/or disconnected internet or TA.

It's now been almost 2 years since I opened up my Tivo / used winmfs (ie I'm rusty), so what's the easiest way to get out of this loop? I don't seem to have an image from my drive, however I do have the original (250GB?) drive so I could copy from scratch all over again if I must. I saw reference here to adding/changing fakecall.tcl - what's that? It seems that would allow me not to lose all of my recordings, right? Any help would be much appreciated. My wife loves Tivo and needless to say she's the typical unhappy camper right about now. I did set her expectations pretty low though; that it might never work again.

Thanks in advance!
schoolbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:41 AM   #576
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolbus View Post
Fortunately I found this thread. Unfortunately I had a reason to search for it.

I'm stuck in the Guided Setup LOOP

What's the easiest way out?

I am assuming none of the Kickstart codes will help? I tried #57 to no avail and just gave #58 a try, along with changing the setup to use Antenna Only (hoping this would reduce data to unpack). It's still "Preparing right now, so we'll see in the morning, but I don't have high hopes.

Here's my stats/info:
Series3
70 Season Passes
9/24/10 - upgraded to 1TB drive with winmfs (sorry don't know swap size )
11/5/10 - added TWC cable cards / TA
Late 2011 - Tivo started giving me almost-daily messages about channel lineup change occurred, but then clicking through it basically said "never mind, you're using a tuning adapter". I never bothered to chase down that issue.
Spring 2012 - Started getting messages about running out of programming data. I merely checked the guide and saw data out 2 weeks so I thought it was some glitch. I basically ignored it. I think it occurred a few times over the months but shows kept recording so I didn't see any ill effects.
6/9/12 - I was traveling and went online to Mytivo to request to record Game 7 of the NBA East Playoffs as I was in a plane at the time and wanted to see it when I got home. It never recorded and then I started snooping around.
I found that the last call had failed due to Error S03. That's when I looked online and found this thread (and others). I checked my GC and it was 5/16/12. I saw references to running channel lineup to update the GC, which I did and am now stuck in this loop

In hindsight, I would have done one of the clear/delete steps first, and/or disconnected internet or TA.

It's now been almost 2 years since I opened up my Tivo / used winmfs (ie I'm rusty), so what's the easiest way to get out of this loop? I don't seem to have an image from my drive, however I do have the original (250GB?) drive so I could copy from scratch all over again if I must. I saw reference here to adding/changing fakecall.tcl - what's that? It seems that would allow me not to lose all of my recordings, right? Any help would be much appreciated. My wife loves Tivo and needless to say she's the typical unhappy camper right about now. I did set her expectations pretty low though; that it might never work again.

Thanks in advance!
If the original drive was a 250, then I'm guessing you've got a TCD648250B, the one with the display and buttons on the front.

You may need to disconnect the TA from the USB port and take both cable cards out (while the TiVo is unplugged), and then run through GS with just an antenna connected to see if it'll complete that.

Are you using wired Ethernet, wireless adapter, or telephone line for connecting to the mothership?

Considering what model you've got, you should also open it up and look at the power supply capacitors to make sure that's not a problem.

I can hook you up with a guy in Raleigh that can supply replacements cheap.

If you don't know which end of a soldering iron to hold he can probably do that part for you at a reasonable rate as well.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #577
schoolbus

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If the original drive was a 250, then I'm guessing you've got a TCD648250B, the one with the display and buttons on the front.

You may need to disconnect the TA from the USB port and take both cable cards out (while the TiVo is unplugged), and then run through GS with just an antenna connected to see if it'll complete that.

Are you using wired Ethernet, wireless adapter, or telephone line for connecting to the mothership?

Considering what model you've got, you should also open it up and look at the power supply capacitors to make sure that's not a problem.

If you don't know which end of a soldering iron to hold he can probably do that part for you at a reasonable rate as well.
I was going off of memory on the drive size, but yes I believe that's the model you mention. Checking my account at tivo.com, I see the SN does start with 648. It does have lights and buttons on the front display.

I'll try with all of that disconnected and just antenna through GS to see if that helps, but again I don't expect it will. I tried running setup last night, but it failed again with S03, after doing Kickstart #58 and Antenna-only setup.

What issue does the capacitor problem usually create? I haven't read about that related to the issue I have. It sounds like maybe you're just proactively suggesting to check that too. I will while I'm at it. I have the soldering iron skills under control if it comes to that

If I hadn't done anything, I think my machine would have continued to work itself out of the issue. I'm guess I did previously run out of programming and then a few days later it finally cleared GC on it's own, restarting the cycle. But alas, here I am...
Old 06-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #578
unitron

Quote:

What issue does the capacitor problem usually create? ...
Lots of sneaky ones you might not think were the power supply.

Like working fine until you put in a cable card and then crashing, leaving you thinking you've got a bad cable card.

Or random re-boots.

There's a Series 2 DirecTiVo model whose symptom was one tuner worked and the other one didn't, but there wasn't anything actually wrong with the tuner.

It's a known issue for S2 and S3 TiVos, so it needs to be eliminated very early in the troubleshooting process.

Go read the wikipedia page on "capacitor plague"

Then load this page

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/index.php?

click on the Search button on the top bar between New Posts and Quicklinks, enter "capacitor OR capacitors" and click "show posts"

and look at some of older results.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #579
schoolbus

Quote:
Lots of sneaky ones you might not think were the power supply.

Like working fine until you put in a cable card and then crashing, leaving you thinking you've got a bad cable card.

Or random re-boots.

There's a Series 2 DirecTiVo model whose symptom was one tuner worked and the other one didn't, but there wasn't anything actually wrong with the tuner.

It's a known issue for S2 and S3 TiVos, so it needs to be eliminated very early in the troubleshooting process.

Go read the wikipedia page on "capacitor plague"

Then load this page

http : // www . tivocommunity . com/ tivo-vb/ index.php?

click on the Search button on the top bar between New Posts and Quicklinks, enter "capacitor OR capacitors" and click "show posts"

and look at some of older results.
Thanks unitron, will definitely check that out when I open up the box.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:26 AM   #580
schoolbus

unitron,

sure enough, this one cap is bulging and oozed some material out. All others look good. It's the C701 2200uf 25v. See attached photo.

I'll happily accept your Raleigh hook-up for an inexpensive replacement

Of course I still need to break out of the guided setup loop. I don't expect this alone will do it. I tried restarting without tuning adapter connected and cable cards removed, just to antenna, no dice.

I've been reading up on fakecall.tcl, but I would be in need of an overview on how to get that running - it seems one of many other parts and I only need to trick the system to thinking it has done a successful setup which it seems that will do. Anyone have a "fakecall.tcl operation for Dummies?" I haven't been successful searching.

and yes I do have TCD648250B.

Thanks again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7004.JPG (85.4 KB, 23 views)
Old 06-13-2012, 12:38 AM   #581
unitron

Quote:
unitron,

sure enough, this one cap is bulging and oozed some material out. All others look good. It's the C701 2200uf 25v. See attached photo.

Of course I still need to break out of the guided setup loop. I don't expect this alone will do it. I tried restarting without tuning adapter connected and cable cards removed, just to antenna, no dice.

I've been reading up on fakecall.tcl, but I would be in need of an overview on how to get that running - it seems one of many other parts and I only need to trick the system to thinking it has done a successful setup which it seems that will do. Anyone have a "fakecall.tcl operation for Dummies?" I haven't been successful searching.

Thanks again!
Just PM'ed you.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:48 AM   #582
unitron

Quote:
unitron,

Thanks again!
Since you have to take the power supply out anyway*, take it with you to the meetup and get him to help you pick out all the caps across the 5V and 12V output lines, i.e., connected directly between one of those and ground, and replace them all now and be done with it. Probably a max of 4, 2 per rail.

*In addition to the obvious screws holding it down, there's one you take out from the outside back panel that goes into the AC jack, and it needs a smaller Torx bit, like an 8 or 9.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #583
schoolbus

Quote:
Just PM'ed you.
Thanks, I tried to PM you back, but alas my post count is not enough. Hey look, here's one more
Old 06-13-2012, 08:16 AM   #584
schoolbus

Quote:
Since you have to take the power supply out anyway*, take it with you to the meetup and get him to help you pick out all the caps across the 5V and 12V output lines, i.e., connected directly between one of those and ground, and replace them all now and be done with it. Probably a max of 4, 2 per rail.

*In addition to the obvious screws holding it down, there's one you take out from the outside back panel that goes into the AC jack, and it needs a smaller Torx bit, like an 8 or 9.
Thanks for the pointer on removing it. Yeah I may want to do those others as well. Searching really showed that the one that failed for me is the common one, but wouldn't hurt to do while in there. I'll see what else he has. Thanks again.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #585
unitron

Quote:
Thanks, I tried to PM you back, but alas my post count is not enough. Hey look, here's one more
I included my email address so you didn't have to PM me back to get in touch.

Got an email back from the guy, he's waitin' to hear from you.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #586
schoolbus

Quote:
I included my email address so you didn't have to PM me back to get in touch.

Got an email back from the guy, he's waitin' to hear from you.
Thanks, we're in touch now. Appreciate the contact.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:31 PM   #587
tootal2

My tuning adaptor has been unpluged for 6 hours and gc file is still set to friday june 8 9:45 am. I dont want restart it. I guess its my fault since i have not used my tivo in a long time.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:00 PM   #588
WO312

Quote:
My tuning adaptor has been unpluged for 6 hours and gc file is still set to friday june 8 9:45 am. I dont want restart it. I guess its my fault since i have not used my tivo in a long time.
This will be an interesting experiment. Let's see how long it takes to update.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:13 PM   #589
tootal2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
This will be an interesting experiment. Let's see how long it takes to update.
The gc: updated at sunday june 24 5:50 pm guess i need a timer.
But i might stop using it soon.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:56 AM   #590
Teeps

Quote:
The gc: updated at sunday june 24 5:50 pm guess i need a timer.
But i might stop using it soon.
As GC usually completes every other day; I've seen it take up to 3 days to complete, with the t/a on a 3 hour daily time out(power off.)

tootal2,
Happy that you are having success with the Ceton card..

The problems with the TiVo XL4 seem to be subsiding, so I'll likely get one soon.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #591
tootal2

Quote:
As GC usually completes every other day; I've seen it take up to 3 days to complete, with the t/a on a 3 hour daily time out(power off.)

tootal2,
Happy that you are having success with the Ceton card..

The problems with the TiVo XL4 seem to be subsiding, so I'll likely get one soon.
ceton works fine does the tivo xl4 have ota tuners? i wont buy a tivo without ota tuners
Old 06-25-2012, 10:18 PM   #592
WO312

Quote:
ceton works fine does the tivo xl4 have ota tuners? i wont buy a tivo without ota tuners
Yes, I know you need OTA. I see your posts on AVS Forum.

And I'm happy with my Ceton also.

Edit: My bad. I guess it's another thread on TCF where you are talking about meTV. But I still see you on AVS.

Last edited by WO312 : 06-25-2012 at 10:25 PM.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:57 PM   #593
tootal2

Im putting a 3 tb in my computer just for recording shows with ceton. I hope 6 tuners a 3 tb is enough to record the summer olypics.

I think this will be my last week of tivo hd in the living room. But the second tivo hd will still be used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
Yes, I know you need OTA. I see your posts on AVS Forum.

And I'm happy with my Ceton also.

Edit: My bad. I guess it's another thread on TCF where you are talking about meTV. But I still see you on AVS.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #594
steffen707

Quote:

I'm in a similar pickle, I have a tivo hd that i upgraded the drive on. i started getting the s03, i have a cable card and a tuning adapter. I read to try the guided setup, now i'm in the loop (because i failed to read that it can cause these issues). I have a tcd652160.

I'm currently doing a dd_rescue copy of my drive, but I doubt that's going to fix the guided setup loop problem right? Is the root problem the tuning adapter? Also, if you pull the cable card out and then complete guided setup, will i have to have a cable company tech guy come set up the cable card again?
steffen707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #595
steffen707

Quote:
I would just restore the image. It will not take long to remake your season passes.

My tivo says it will run out of program info in 3 days. Think i will get that ceton cable card tuner for my desktop computer.
What do you mean restore the image? I've got mfslive, i've moded several tivo's but i can't find on the forum what i'm suppose to do to "restore the image". I'm fine with remaking all my season passes, i just don't want to lose all my shows. Will "restoring the image" make me lose my shows, or cable card settings?
Old 07-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #596
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffen707 View Post
i posted this in the first thread,
And that's where I posted an answer to you.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #597
steffen707

Quote:
And that's where I posted an answer to you.
Thanks unitron.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #598
Rodney
TiVo'd since 9/17/01

I have two Series 3 HD TiVo's and one has spontaneously started having this guide data problem, and unplugging the SVA for four hours today fixed it. Thanks to the folks that figured out the workaround.
Now how do we get TiVo to correct the issue? And what is the underlying cause? The two Tivo's I have are identical and both have the 1TB "My DVR Expander" added to them.

-Rodney
3 TiVo Premieres expanded to 318 HD hours
1 Roamio Pro w/lifetime
Rodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #599
steffen707

Has anybody had an s03 error, and then unplugged the tuning adapter for 4 hours, and get a successful guide download/load, or have all of you guys tried the 4 hour tuning adapter off method BEFORE getting an s03 error?
Old 07-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #600
Icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffen707 View Post
Has anybody had an s03 error, and then unplugged the tuning adapter for 4 hours, and get a successful guide download/load, or have all of you guys tried the 4 hour tuning adapter off method BEFORE getting an s03 error?
None of the above.

Found a way to solve S03 (there are other methods listed in the thread), then got a lamp timer to prevent it from happening again.

Most people are not going to do the lamp timer thing unless they know they have to. It doesn't affect everybody.

-David
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote