TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
Punker1234

Stuttering in parts of the picture, not my TV.

Hey folks.

I'm wondering if anyone has encountered this issue before. I recently purchase a new Sony TV and replaced my 3 series with a Premier model. However, I noticed over awhile that I could see hiccups if you will within the picture itself. It never seems to be the frame, just part of the image. It looks like the image is stuttering and not smooth.

It's really noticeable sometimes and drives me bonkers. The good news is, it's not my TV. I thought maybe it had something to do with my 120 mhz picture, but I ended up trying it on my old TV and the problem was there. Another obvious tip off was I could rewind the Tivo, and still had the issue, so the hiccup seems to actually be recorded.

So, that makes me believe it's the Tivo itself, or could it possible be the cable providers compression? I never noticed this issue ever on my 3 series, and my Premiere is only 45 days old. Has anyone seen this problem?

I've tried to capture this on video using my iphone, but no luck.
Punker1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
omnibus
cowboy, yee-ha

I thought you were referring to a problem I was having traced by Dish network tech support to an HDMI cable (or my 722K receiver). A replacement cable from Dish seems to have resolved it.

As I described it, if I powered on my TV while the receiver was already on, most times I got a picture that stuttered and had a ton of snow...weak signal. It would last 5 to 15 seconds then clear itself up.

I've only had the new cable a couple of days so I haven't ruled out my Sharp 52" 60 hz TV
Old 06-11-2012, 12:13 AM   #3
Punker1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnibus View Post
I thought you were referring to a problem I was having traced by Dish network tech support to an HDMI cable (or my 722K receiver). A replacement cable from Dish seems to have resolved it.

As I described it, if I powered on my TV while the receiver was already on, most times I got a picture that stuttered and had a ton of snow...weak signal. It would last 5 to 15 seconds then clear itself up.

I've only had the new cable a couple of days so I haven't ruled out my Sharp 52" 60 hz TV
Bummer, I hope you resolve your issue. For me, it can't be the HDMI as I've ruled out that it's not the TV itself, but the box or my signal. Either way, the problem is in my Tivo. I could try replacing the coax cable, but I doubt thats the issue as I've never seen this problem prior.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:15 AM   #4
jcthorne

If its in the recording, its in the data stream as sent from your cable company. Tivo does not encode digital signals, only records exactly the data stream sent.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #5
Punker1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
If its in the recording, its in the data stream as sent from your cable company. Tivo does not encode digital signals, only records exactly the data stream sent.
Could it still be the hard drive that's an issue maybe and thus the stuttering? But it isn't the whole screen, so that makes logical sense that it's the source.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
mattack

Could be the hard drive, but it also could simply be a partial signal dropout, which would cause a brief blocky image.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #7
Punker1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Could be the hard drive, but it also could simply be a partial signal dropout, which would cause a brief blocky image.
I only say this as I never noticed this with my 3 series Tivo. But maybe my new TV allows me to spot these easier. And I wouldn't say it's blocky, just stuttering. I don't see pixelation, it's really hard to explain.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:49 AM   #8
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

If the picture stutters with no pixelation, it's probably the drive. Had same problem on mine recently and a quick copy/swap to a new drive using jmfs did the trick. Try running kickstart 54 on the existing drive to see if there's errors, but don't be surprised if it doesn't find anything.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #9
Punker1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
If the picture stutters with no pixelation, it's probably the drive. Had same problem on mine recently and a quick copy/swap to a new drive using jmfs did the trick. Try running kickstart 54 on the existing drive to see if there's errors, but don't be surprised if it doesn't find anything.
Yea. Not to sound lazy, but I think I'm just going to have Tivo replace it, as it's only 45 days old. Kind of a bummer to be honest, but I think it's the HDD or the signal. Again, I don't notice it on my old tivo box, but I'm going to record the same program and watch it on my cable provider box to see if I notice anything.