TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2012, 04:40 AM   #1
Land
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5
Any Premiere owners out there that gave it up to ditch cable?

I wasn't really sure where to post this. But I figure this is less about what DVR I'd replace it with as much as it is about the fact that I'm really hesitant about giving up my Premiere. As unhappy as I am with Comcast as a company and considering the money it would save me, it's the only reason I haven't switched to DTV or DISH.

I've done a fair amount of searching Google and digging through forums, with only a small amount of success. It's hard to find direct comparisons between the Premiere and the HR34, THR22, Hopper, etc., I'm assuming because the Tivo fills a separate niche and is not generally the deciding factor.

I can compare their features, but not really the overall user experience from the perspective of fellow Tivo users. Quirks that might annoy me that others might not notice because they weren't used to something different, or features I don't realize how much I miss until they're gone. Stuff like that.

I've been a loyal Tivo customer since 2005, and they've treated me well over the last eight years. After that amount of time I think I'd also go into Tivo UI withdrawal, unless I went with the THR22 (though two tuners isn't really enough for me, I barely squeak by on two plus a separate cable box to record two HD channels + watch one live). Plus losing wishlists and suggestions.

Any suggestions? Any Premiere owners switch to satellite and are unhappy? It's costing me a lot of money sticking with cable (more than $800 over the first two years) to keep the Tivo around, but even so I'm really on the fence.
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
slowbiscuit
FUBAR
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 2,595
It's not like you're going to save a ton of money over time switching to sat, so I don't see the point. Plus their DVRs are still not as good as a Premiere multi-room setup, especially when you add in extra stuff like pyTivo, kmttg, and streambaby.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
poppagene
User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 693
I use my premier and S3s for ota and internet content only.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
stlbluesfan74
Mike
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
It's not like you're going to save a ton of money over time switching to sat, so I don't see the point. Plus their DVRs are still not as good as a Premiere multi-room setup, especially when you add in extra stuff like pyTivo, kmttg, and streambaby.
Agreed. I switched to cable from Directv. The HD DVRs that I had became so painfully slow that I was forced to switch before I ended putting my remote through the TV out of frustration.

I love the Tivo whole home network. Speed of the Tivo boxes are pretty good. And the Tivo Premeire having 1TB of space is awesome.
__________________
2x Premiere XL
stlbluesfan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
Land
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
It's not like you're going to save a ton of money over time switching to sat, so I don't see the point. Plus their DVRs are still not as good as a Premiere multi-room setup, especially when you add in extra stuff like pyTivo, kmttg, and streambaby.
I live by myself and only have one TV, so multi-room isn't an issue for me.

I worked it out at saving $500 the first year, $350 the second year, and a bit over $150 the third year and thereafter. That's a decent chunk of change, to me anyway. And one expensive Tivo if you consider it's the only reason I'm not switching.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlbluesfan74 View Post
Agreed. I switched to cable from Directv. The HD DVRs that I had became so painfully slow that I was forced to switch before I ended putting my remote through the TV out of frustration.
Well... that's not promising.
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #6
stlbluesfan74
Mike
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land View Post
I live by myself and only have one TV, so multi-room isn't an issue for me.

I worked it out at saving $500 the first year, $350 the second year, and a bit over $150 the third year and thereafter. That's a decent chunk of change, to me anyway. And one expensive Tivo if you consider it's the only reason I'm not switching.

Well... that's not promising.
Well, if you are really loooking to save some money, just buy a Premeire and hook up an antenna for OTA. Then you are only paying $15 bucks a month.

Anyway, it really sounds like your cable company is sticking it to you. I bet if you called to cancel, they would give you a better offer.
__________________
2x Premiere XL
stlbluesfan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #7
Land
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlbluesfan74 View Post
Well, if you are really loooking to save some money, just buy a Premeire and hook up an antenna for OTA. Then you are only paying $15 bucks a month.

Anyway, it really sounds like your cable company is sticking it to you. I bet if you called to cancel, they would give you a better offer.
I've tried to get them to lower prices, but, so far, they haven't budged. I already have an OTA-compatible Premiere but sadly I watch too many cable channels to be satisfied with that.

To boot, I spent a good portion of my day today just trying to get information from them about an outage in my area after a bad storm. I don't want to turn this into a thread about my experience with Comcast, so I won't say anything other than it was a very frustrating experience dealing with them giving me the run around and conflicting (and confusing) information.

Oh well. Seems I'm between a rock and a hard place here.
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:20 AM   #8
magnus
Tivo User
 
magnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land
I've tried to get them to lower prices, but, so far, they haven't budged. I already have an OTA-compatible Premiere but sadly I watch too many cable channels to be satisfied with that.

To boot, I spent a good portion of my day today just trying to get information from them about an outage in my area after a bad storm. I don't want to turn this into a thread about my experience with Comcast, so I won't say anything other than it was a very frustrating experience dealing with them giving me the run around and conflicting (and confusing) information.

Oh well. Seems I'm between a rock and a hard place here.
You can always buy your shows from Amazon and have the season pass delivered to your Premiere. Depending on how many shows you watch and if they have them all on Amazon..... You might still save a good amount of money.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:39 AM   #9
///MJS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlbluesfan74 View Post
Well, if you are really loooking to save some money, just buy a Premeire and hook up an antenna for OTA. Then you are only paying $15 bucks a month.
This is exactly what I did. I was with DirecTV for 10 years and was paying about $110/month (1 HD DVR, 1 HD, Choice Ultimate pkg). And that didn't even include any of the good movie channels. It was nice having all the channels, but we just didn't watch it that much. With 3 young kids, our TV time pretty much starts around 9:30 or so and ends by 11. And at that point we'd usually end up watching NBC/ABC/FOX/CBS stuff anyway. It just didn't make sense.

So, I put up a huge Winegard antenna wtih a pre-amp, bought 1 Tivo Premiere, and hooked everything up. We couldn't be happier. $15/month, plus Netflix, which we already were paying for before. And we have TV in 4 rooms now, instead of just 2.

As for the DirecTV DVRs? They blow. Not sure if the latest ones are any faster, but mine(only a year or two old) was super slow. I'd hit the guide button and it would literally take 5-10 seconds for it to respond and pull it up. Same for changing channels. Frustrating as hell.

The other issue we had with satellite was weather. A heavy rain would destroy the signal. But snow was the worst. It builds up on the dish, killing the signal. Our dish was mounted on the very top of our two story house. We tried dish heaters, only to have them short out after a year or so. I've stood outside throwing snowballs at the dish more times that I care to count....

Mike
///MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #10
Land
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5
I watch at least a dozen cable shows, so between buying them all and the downloads eating up my bandwidth OTA isn't really a feasible option for me.

This isn't so much about penny pinching - I can afford to keep cable, but it would definitely be nice to have that money to spend on other things, and I can't even begin to explain how upset I am with Comcast and their service.
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #11
slowbiscuit
FUBAR
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 2,595
Well, you can always roll your own WMC HTPC with the Hauppauge HD-PVR or Colussus, then rent a couple of sat STBs and use WMC to record from them. Might be better than their DVR, might not depending on what you want it to do.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #12
StringFellow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 57
Up until a month ago I was a longtime TiVo user (to include 2 premieres). I had TiVo for about 5 or 6 years but recently dropped TiVo/cable in favor for Dish.

1. Hopper/Joey setup is very comparable to a TiVo premiere. Lacks suggestions (I didn't use this feature) and the auto jump back after pressing play after FF isn't quite as good.
2 . Signal loss during a storm has been minimal. Severe T-storm will cause signal loss but for a very short time.
3. Not having to deal with cable card issues is a HUGE plus.
4. Extra recording time is huge. No external HDD required. The premieres I had were the initials ones with fairly low recording times. Also TiVo didn't sell external HDDs, always out of stock.
5. Dish on demand and blockbuster on demand is nice. Not quite as good as Netflix, but close.
6 Netflix not integrated into Hopper and requires some other device to access Netflix.
7. SD and HD picture quality is superior on Dish, not to mention a lot more channels broadcasted in HD (compared to local Comcast provider)

I have Comcast for Internet (only option due to rural location), VoIP for phone and Dish for TV. Even after the Dish discounts expire I am still saving $20 - $30 per month. Haven't regretted the switch yet.

I have had DirecTV in the past and TiVo is far superior to their DVRs, for many reasons.
StringFellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #13
Land
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Well, you can always roll your own WMC HTPC with the Hauppauge HD-PVR or Colussus, then rent a couple of sat STBs and use WMC to record from them. Might be better than their DVR, might not depending on what you want it to do.
I haven't looked at WMC at all. I actually have parts for another computer, minus the operating system and any reasonable amount of hard drive space. Where the heck I'd find a place to put it and how loud it would be (I've never particularly built quiet computers so I don't much have the parts for one offhand) is another matter.

I actually wasn't aware they were compatible with satellite either. Hmm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringFellow View Post
Up until a month ago I was a longtime TiVo user (to include 2 premieres). I had TiVo for about 5 or 6 years but recently dropped TiVo/cable in favor for Dish.

1. Hopper/Joey setup is very comparable to a TiVo premiere. Lacks suggestions (I didn't use this feature) and the auto jump back after pressing play after FF isn't quite as good.
2 . Signal loss during a storm has been minimal. Severe T-storm will cause signal loss but for a very short time.
3. Not having to deal with cable card issues is a HUGE plus.
4. Extra recording time is huge. No external HDD required. The premieres I had were the initials ones with fairly low recording times. Also TiVo didn't sell external HDDs, always out of stock.
5. Dish on demand and blockbuster on demand is nice. Not quite as good as Netflix, but close.
6 Netflix not integrated into Hopper and requires some other device to access Netflix.
7. SD and HD picture quality is superior on Dish, not to mention a lot more channels broadcasted in HD (compared to local Comcast provider)

I have Comcast for Internet (only option due to rural location), VoIP for phone and Dish for TV. Even after the Dish discounts expire I am still saving $20 - $30 per month. Haven't regretted the switch yet.

I have had DirecTV in the past and TiVo is far superior to their DVRs, for many reasons.
Thanks for the info. The one issue I have with Dish, which I realized only recently, is their seemingly constant disputes with the networks. They keep dropping a local channel here that has a large amount of the Braves games in my area, and that pretty much kills the deal for me. Then there's the whole thing with AMC.

Otherwise I could probably get by with the Hopper. PTA + two tuners isn't a perfect solution since I watch so much cable programming, but since some of the networks like USA sometimes rebroadcast their programming a few hours later I could probably get by.
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #14
StringFellow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land
.Thanks for the info. The one issue I have with Dish, which I realized only recently, is their seemingly constant disputes with the networks. They keep dropping a local channel here that has a large amount of the Braves games in my area, and that pretty much kills the deal for me. Then there's the whole thing with AMC.

Otherwise I could probably get by with the Hopper. PTA + two tuners isn't a perfect solution since I watch so much cable programming, but since some of the networks like USA sometimes rebroadcast their programming a few hours later I could probably get by.
Dropping channels and the threat of dropping channels is common across all TV providers. I think this will increase as production costs increase and the growing content available online.

However I do understand your concern regarding channel availability.
StringFellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #15
jmatero
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 84
I've been with TiVo since the beginning and I'm about to say bye-bye.

Internet + AppleTV + Netflix + the "free" network HD via the cable tuned through my TV's. (Live in a condo so they never "pull the plug") Maybe HuluPlus.

Internet: $40/month
Netflix: $7.99
HuluPlus: $7.99 (opt)
__________________
2 TiVo Premieres
2 Apple TV (3rd Gen)
Macs/iPhones/iPads w/AirPlay

Last edited by jmatero : 06-13-2012 at 10:24 AM.
jmatero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:09 PM   #16
tripplesix
TiVo is ok.
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 5
I can only say a little bit because I actually went in the opposite direction. Had Directv for 10 loyal (first mistake) years. Until 2 weeks ago when I got rcn tivo. I can honestly say that depending on the bells and whistles on tivo, maybe they are enough for you to love it. I have 4 tuners (didn't know anyone made that) on my tivo.... that is the best thing ever. I personally don't care for some of the bells and whistles in lieu of a better user interface. Directv has problems in and of itself, however the user interface on thier hd dvr is a beast and way better (and user friendly and efficient) than tivo's. The picture quality on directv is by far better (the user interface and the actual channels). That's it. Whatever you choose, do not choose directv. they are as high priced as anyone else and they love sticking you with 2 year contracts. I don't know about their new tivo box but their hd receiver was the slowest, most stalling thing known to the human race.

i don't know if you made your decision yet, but loyalty does not pay. don't choose directv if you don't have to. if you like what you currently have minus the high prices, then just do this:
call comcast and actually cancel. watch how quick they throw deals/discounts your way... but avoid a contract if you can.

good luck on your choice. cable/dish is a B.
tripplesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #17
agredon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringFellow View Post
Dropping channels and the threat of dropping channels is common across all TV providers. I think this will increase as production costs increase and the growing content available online.

However I do understand your concern regarding channel availability.
It seems to be a bigger problem with satellite (Dish Network and DirecTV). Usually, when Cable drops a station it some minor network like Hallmark (Uverse). No cableco would ever dream of dropping Disney Channel or ESPN...as Dish Network did. Though, technically Dish didn't drop them...they simply couldn't be bothered to pay the content provider (Piracy) and got caught.
agredon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |