TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #61
aaronwt
HD Addict

Wow! I guess I can't complain about the $4 fee per cable card on FiOS. I can have as many outlets as I want. We just need to pay for the cable card.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:50 AM   #62
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Yep, Verizon is doing it right. The problem with Comcast is that they're not complying with the new FCC rules, and the FCC doesn't care if people don't complain in numbers.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:09 AM   #63
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Yep, Verizon is doing it right. The problem with Comcast is that they're not complying with the new FCC rules, and the FCC doesn't care if people don't complain in numbers.
Is there an FCC rule that prohibits an A/O fee for customer-owned equipment? I just thought the rule was there had to be a separate charge for equipment versus programming, so that the equipment charge could not be charged to customers who bring their own equipment.

Comcast has done that. The equipment charge is $2.50 a month. They also charge $6.75 for programming to a second TV. Does that violate a rule? (I'm seriously asking, not rhetorically).

The $2.50 A/O discount was recent, so I assumed it was implemented because of the FCC rules.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #64
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

The violation is not about the bogus A/O fee, it's about the lack of a standard, universally applied rental fee per card, and that they don't break out the STB vs. card charges correctly on the rate sheets.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #65
tabathadolley

The charges were added back onto my bill for this month, after my BBB complaint was closed. Amanda from our local office, who removed the charges, now won't return my calls. We are moving in October and looking at places that have options other than Comcast.
tabathadolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:33 AM   #66
mikengrove

Comcast now charging for additional outlet plus other things

Every month my Comcast bill arrives it gets higher.. Last month they added a new HD technology charge of $9.95. This month they have added additional outlet charges $9.95 per outlet( they say I have 3, not true)
I have 2 cables cards which I've always been charged $1.50 per card.
Also there is a technician call out fee $30.00. I called Comcast as cable cards were not working, now they charge you to come out..did not fix problem and late not in 2hr window as seen on TV. Told I would get $20.00 credit for being
Late. Had to call them back 3 times and still problems with missing channels, picture quality, always late and always told I would receive $20.00 credit.

I called today to go over the new HIGH bill and explain charges, I was given run around, disconnects from billing agent, not calling right office, will transfer you.
I called the local Miami 305-266-2278 (Comcast). How do I resolve this..any advice?
mikengrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:03 AM   #67
lpwcomp

I have sent the following e-mail to the FCC:

Quote:
Have the portions of the "Cable Television Consumer Protection and Competition Act of 1992" and/or the implementing FCC regulations governing charges for additional outlets been superseded or repealed/rescinded?

If so, the FCC needs to update the FAQ (http://transition.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Ca...s/nrcb4009.txt) to reflect the current situation.

If not, the FCC needs to do more than just forward complaints about Comcast's "Additional Digital Outlet Fee" to Comcast.

<Name, Address, and Phone # redacted>

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #68
jadziedzic

You do realize that the portions of the act that use as basis for your argument refer to the PHYSICAL WIRING, right? As in the cable operator is allowed to charge you to run wiring for additional outlets and charge you to maintain that wiring, and even charge you for the materials used if and when you cancel your service.
jadziedzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #69
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadziedzic
You do realize that the portions of the act that use as basis for your argument refer to the PHYSICAL WIRING, right? As in the cable operator is allowed to charge you to run wiring for additional outlets and charge you to maintain that wiring, and even charge you for the materials used if and when you cancel your service.
Cable companies do not own the wiring inside your home. That's why Comcast will charge you to fix wiring problems unless you subscribe to their cable guard monthly fee.

Yes you can pay Comcast to run wires in your house to add outlets, but you can hire someone else to do it or do it yourself. Comcast can't charge you if you add wiring in your own house.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #70
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadziedzic View Post
You do realize that:

...they have a separate, optional fee for "inside wiring maintenance"?

...all the splits in my current residence are internal?

..even though they call it an "outlet fee", they are not actually charging for the outlet but for enabling a device connected to the cable?

...they will add this fee even if you just install a splitter after it leaves the wall and add additional devices to the same physical outlet, as long as they know about it, either because it is their equipment or you installed a "free" CableCARD?

...they are only allowed to recover actual costs?

...installation costs can only be spread out over a few months and cannot be a permanent charge?

Either you don't understand any of the that, or you think that while a cable company is only allowed to recover actual costs associated with the installation and maintenance of an outlet, they can charge whatever they want to use it. Just like with a CableCARD for other than the primary "outlet". No monthly rental fee but an ADO fee - customer owned equipment credit.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #71
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadziedzic View Post
...and even charge you for the materials used if and when you cancel your service.
No, they cannot. You must be allowed to purchase it if you wish (assuming you don't already own it). Your option, not theirs.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #72
lpwcomp

Does anyone object to my semi-hijack of this thread to discuss the general legality of the ADO fee?