TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-08-2012, 08:22 AM   #151
DougF

Finally got to watch this last night when my wife got home. I take back my "best ep. of the season" comment for last week and would like to apply it here instead. Really good hour of TV.

I also got spoiled by a headline, but it wasn't a big deal. Anyone who's watched this season knew it was coming. We just didn't know when. It had to be this week or next week.
DougF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #152
Marco
Yes, Mr. Tony

Anybody else want to speculate on events in the finale?

Does the firm get Dow's business?
Does Peggy return somehow?
Does the firm's life insurance refuse to pay out on Lane?
Does the story of Lane's death become generally known?
Old 06-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #153
rifleman69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Yes
No
Yes
I imagine Don keeps that between himself and possibly Cooper.
rifleman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #154
Mikeyis4dcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman69 View Post
Yes
No
Yes
I imagine Don keeps that between himself and possibly Cooper.
it has been confirmed that the life insurance was valid for suicide after 2 or 3 years. The policy has been in effect longer. It will pay.
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #155
Zevida
witless and unarmed

The insurance policy won't pay out because he resigned before he died and was no longer part of the firm.

Don won't tell anyone about Lane's embezzlement. He would not sully his name like that post death.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #156
Queue
UnbowdUnbentUnbrokn

So what's up with Jared Harris,
Spoiler:
he got killed off on Mad Men and Fringe.

Last edited by Mike Lang : 06-11-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Queue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:27 PM   #157
rifleman69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyis4dcats View Post
it has been confirmed that the life insurance was valid for suicide after 2 or 3 years. The policy has been in effect longer. It will pay.
Lane resigned...life insurance doesn't pay.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #158
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Is the life insurance story really a story?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:09 AM   #159
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
Is the life insurance story really a story?
The partners might hide his resignation.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:09 AM   #160
JETarpon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida
The insurance policy won't pay out because he resigned before he died and was no longer part of the firm.
He resigned. He didn't get bought out (yet). He was still an equity share holder.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:36 AM   #161
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
The insurance policy won't pay out because he resigned before he died and was no longer part of the firm....
A resignation has the be ACCEPTED to be official. It wasn't....it'll pay.
Bierboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #162
Jon J
Curmudgeon

We obviously have a number of non-life insurance professionals commenting. Once in effect if there was no fraud involved in the application (no lies, all facts disclosed to underwriting and accepted) and the policy is over two years old, it must pay. The insurance contract is between the owner (who is not necessarily the insured and in this case is the ad agency) and the insurance company. The owner has the right to name and change the benefiiciary and even the person insured under some circumstances but usually subject to re-underwriting.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #163
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

I still don't understand why getting or not getting the life insurance payment would be a major plot point in the show.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #164
tiams

Quote:
I still don't understand why getting or not getting the life insurance payment would be a major plot point in the show.
One character (Pete) made a specific reference to the company's insurance policy and it's suicide clause. Another character then commits suicide. Throughout the show there have been many references to death and suicide both subtle and overt. So the writers have made it a plot point. There will be an issue over whether Lane's wife will collect.

Or were you saying you don't understand why the writers chose suicide as a running theme?
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #165
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
One character (Pete) made a specific reference to the company's insurance policy and it's suicide clause. Another character then commits suicide. Throughout the show there have been many references to death and suicide both subtle and overt. So the writers have made it a plot point. There will be an issue over whether Lane's wife will collect.

Or were you saying you don't understand why the writers chose suicide as a running theme?
I recall the reference Pete made. I get the suicide part. I just don't get why an insurance payment is a huge deal. Does the payment go to the firm or the wife ? If to the wife, who cares. If to SCDP, does it save them financially after Lane got an extra $50,000 ?

I guess I really don't care so much about this plot point and wonder why others make it an issue. I'm more interested in Peggy and where she is and how SCDP grows without P (insurance or not)

Old 06-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #166
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Soze
Probably not. Extending it and drawing it down are two different things. Apart from the money Lane took, and maybe the staff bonuses which we don't know if SCDP can afford or not, the rest of the line seems available untouched.
I don't think there's anything left untouched. Lane told the partners he found an extra $50k. He didn't tell them it was from their line of credit. They originally intended to pay themselves bonuses, but then the Mohawk strike happened and the Jaguar opportunity came up and so the partners agreed to forego their bonuses so that the firm could still pay bonuses to everyone else and have the operating funds they needed to cover the lost income from Mohawk and the increased expense of Jaguar.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #167
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

They won Jaguar. So, they should start to see money from that. Though I do recall there were conversations about different fee structures for that deal? Or at leas the possibility of it. Mohwak strike can't last forever, right? I guess they will be back to normal there (of course, I know Mohwak eventually goes away or gets bought up. But don't know when)

Old 06-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #168
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida
The policy is a legal contract. If the terms are met, it has to pay out. The insurance coverage wouldn't be lost simply because he's no longer employed at the firm. It might (unlikely) mean that the beneficiary has to change, but the insurance company doesn't get out of paying just because he resigned.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #169
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
Though I do recall there were conversations about different fee structures for that deal? Or at leas the possibility of it.
Hence the episode, and thread, title.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #170
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
The policy is a legal contract. If the terms are met, it has to pay out. The insurance coverage wouldn't be lost simply because he's no longer employed at the firm. It might (unlikely) mean that the beneficiary has to change, but the insurance company doesn't get out of paying just because he resigned.
Without knowing the terms of the contact, it's hard to say. I am no insurance expert. But I have to think a policy for the benefit of the firm is contingent on the person being an active partner. If he is not a partner/employee, they have no insurable interest. If he resigned, moved back to London, then six weeks later he died, there would be no benefits. The events happened so close together, it's fuzzy.

I'm with smeek in that I hope they don't spend a lot of time fussing over insurance or any of the details of Lane's death. I'd like them to move on.

- billypritchard
Old 06-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #171
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

I really hope next season we get more of the ad side of things. Maybe Don and Peggy can go head to head for several accounts. That would be fantastic.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #172
wouldworker
_

Quote:
All the stuff about Pete's insurance policy was to provide a reason for Pete to go to that guy's house so he could get it on with his wife. I'm with smeek - whether or not Lane's insurance policy pays out isn't interesting and won't be a major plot point. It might rate a mention but it won't be a story line.
wouldworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #173
rifleman69

Quote:
Without knowing the terms of the contact, it's hard to say. I am no insurance expert. But I have to think a policy for the benefit of the firm is contingent on the person being an active partner. If he is not a partner/employee, they have no insurable interest. If he resigned, moved back to London, then six weeks later he died, there would be no benefits.
This. And it should be a small but important plot point, but one that is quickly forgotten about after the last episode of the season.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #174
rifleman69

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouldworker View Post
All the stuff about Pete's insurance policy was to provide a reason for Pete to go to that guy's house so he could get it on with his wife. I'm with smeek - whether or not Lane's insurance policy pays out isn't interesting and won't be a major plot point. It might rate a mention but it won't be a story line.
It's not a major plot point? Well sure it's not the underlying message/themse but it does have quite a bit to do with the company's future.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:04 AM   #175
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post

My prediction for the season finale : Don cheats on Megan!
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #176
Jon J
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Without knowing the terms of the contact, it's hard to say. I am no insurance expert. But I have to think a policy for the benefit of the firm is contingent on the person being an active partner. If he is not a partner/employee, they have no insurable interest. If he resigned, moved back to London, then six weeks later he died, there would be no benefits. The events happened so close together, it's fuzzy.
I am an insurance professional and you are wrong. Insurable interest is only necessary when the policy is issued. Policies are often maintained for the benefit of the business long after an employee leaves and carried on the books as an asset.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #177
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon J View Post
I am an insurance professional and you are wrong. Insurable interest is only necessary when the policy is issued. Policies are often maintained for the benefit of the business long after an employee leaves and carried on the books as an asset.
However, if Lane only had the policy for the benefit of the business, or possibly if he had a policy for his wife through the business, there's a possibility that his wife gets nothing. I suspect some sort of uncomfortable scene as Don has to go talk to Lane's wife to (a) tell her that he's dead (she probably doesn't know yet), and (b) that he resigned first.
kaszeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #178
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon J View Post
Interesting! I wouldn't have thought that would be possible or reasonable. Obviously there's some benefit to the insurance companies but it sure doesn't make sense! Like keeping insurance on a house after I've sold it.

- billypritchard
Old 06-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #179
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
My prediction for the season finale : Don cheats on Megan!
Duh....
Bierboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:35 PM   #180
ElJay

Quote:
Interesting! I wouldn't have thought that would be possible or reasonable. Obviously there's some benefit to the insurance companies but it sure doesn't make sense! Like keeping insurance on a house after I've sold it.
I don't know how it was in the '60s, but here's some reading for you: http://online.wsj.com/public/resourc...s/april_19.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpora...life_insurance
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote