Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-02-2012, 02:30 AM   #1
coreybryant
Texan at Heart

TC CLUB MEMBER
Creating Auto-Transfers

I am using TiVo Desktop 2.8 and have a Series2 and Series3. I am using eSet Smart Security 5.2.91 again (there was an issue with 5.0.95 and not detecting spam, so I had to try to find another program)

I noticed that after installing VIPRE my Auto Tranfers stopped working. So I was going back and forth comparing to what was on my server and the TiVos.

Is there an easier way? If so, please be so kind to share - heck, this is one of the greatest forums out there.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:50 AM   #2
ggieseke

Auto-transfers are sort of like scheduling a recording on the web. Desktop doesn't actually push them directly to the TiVo, it logs into your account online to set up the transfer and the mothership takes it from there. My wireshark trace got corrupted when 2 drives in my RAID went out, but I remember that it used SSL and multiple ports.

If you enable firewall logging in VIPRE you will probably see some dropped packets from Desktop to the internet, and from there you can create exceptions as needed. I would also relink Desktop to your TiVo account just to be sure that the password etc is correct.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
coreybryant
Texan at Heart

TC CLUB MEMBER
I actually dropped VIPRE and went back to eSet - they had a new version that seemed to fix the spam / malware issues I was having in Outlook 2010.

I can download the shows from TiVo Desktop from to both Series2 and Series3. I can also upload shows to the TiVo Desktop from both Series2 and Series3.

I just did not know if it would be better to recreate the Auto Transfers again.

eSet made it very easy to set it up - they actually remoted into my computer, installed it, and asked what I needed to run
Old 06-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
ggieseke

It sounds like everything you need within your home network is working, but something is still blocking the necessary communication between Desktop and TiVo. I don't know eSet but I suspect that it's the culprit. Can you configure it to log dropped packets?
Old 06-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
coreybryant
Texan at Heart

TC CLUB MEMBER
It has a lot of logs, that for sure. I can easily go back and download them.

I have so many connections opened - trying to catch up on a few things. Let me try to finish with this - reboot and transfer a program
Old 06-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
coreybryant
Texan at Heart

TC CLUB MEMBER
I was looking at the programs and it has the Beacon Services, Auto Updater, User Interface, Service Process entered - TCP / UDP allowed, all addresses, and for both incoming / outgoing.

Now the bad part. Before I rebooted, I decided to try Bonjour service. I looked - and my program was downloaded.

Looking at the Applications though, the There are two for TivoBeacon Service Process and TiVo Server Service Process. I don't know if this has something to do with it or now.

I'll probably remove the one(s) with the 2 by them (I can always add them later). I'll also email eSet to see what they say about it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eset-tivo.jpg (9.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 10-14-2012, 10:52 PM   #7
LeeAnnK

Creating Auto-Transfers, continued

I have a Tivo Series 3 box and Tivo Desktop Plus 2.8.3 (I had 2.8.2 but upgraded today in hopes that would solve the problem, but it did not).

I have been working for a month on digitizing all of my exercise tapes and DVDs to put on a single designated "Exercise TiVo", grouped by topic or teacher. What a boost this will be to my workout!!

Before I launch into my TiVo Desktop Auto-transfer woes, let me tell you where I've been and what I've done. I wrote metadata for each video and used pyTivo to push them up onto the TiVo, assigning each group its own seriesID. It was fast and seemed PERFECT!! And then after a few days, something happened. Suddenly, instead of a folder filled with video "episodeTitles", my folders were filled with very long titles that contained the folder title followed by the "episodeTitle". Now Playing only displays a very few characters, so that is NOT PERFECT because I can't read my video titles, or at least not enough of them.

So, in searching for the answer to that, I stumbled on the fact that TiVo Desktop Plus, a product I've been using for years to transfer to the PC, actually can upload folders and subfolders. Great! So I tried a couple of test folders and it worked, right away. And so far, it looks like my episode title will be left alone.

So, I am ready to go live. I deleted all of my work from the ExerciseTivo and identified the folder I wanted to upload, with subfolders checked and to Keep All. Here is the problem: It will only upload one file and then it seems to be done. If I look at the logs (and I am no expert in most of the log gibberish), and it appears that all of them queued up. But only one actually recorded. When the others in the queue will go, who knows? Or will they ever? To get the next one to go, I remove the folder, restart TiVo Desktop Plus to clear the cached info. Then restart it again to clear the auto-transfer and then delete the one file that actually did upload from the folder. And then reselect the folder under "Add Video".

And again only one file seems to upload.

I am intrigued with ggieseke's comment:
Auto-transfers are sort of like scheduling a recording on the web. Desktop doesn't actually push them directly to the TiVo, it logs into your account online to set up the transfer and the mothership takes it from there.

Maybe if I wait a few days the mothership will eventually download the rest?? Is there a place to monitor that? To make it go more quickly? Or am I really never going to see another file transferred?

I think pyTivo was pushing it straight from my PC to the Tivo and that was really fast!

Any suggestions to hurry this along, I'd appreciate it. Or if you know why I only get one recording. This is a really painful process.

Thank you!
LeeAnnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:49 AM   #8
ggieseke

It sounds like Desktop or your TiVo has a stuck transfer. If it's the TiVo I think it will show up in the To Do List and a reboot will probably fix it.

If it's Desktop, go to File > Preferences > Restart or Reset and try clearing the Transfer Status window.

Also make sure that your PC isn't going to sleep.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #9
unitron

As I understand it, 2.8.3 isn't really an upgrade to 2.8.2, it's just 2.8.2 with something added that lets it work with the new DirecTiVo that finally came out a few months back (although I think Duke Nukem Forever showed up first).

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote