TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #211
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
I too assumed he had someone in the audience whispering the descriptions in his ear via a wireless earpiece, and that he stuck the earpiece in his ear when wrapping the unnecessary extra tape around his head, and that he removed and discarded it with the tape when he took the tape off. I'd be curious to see whether he could still "read the judges' minds" if the pictures they drew were hidden from the view of the audience.

That story about the war veteran is crazy if true. Wow.
Not true...

Quote:
Poe had a stutter when he spoke with the judges, which he attributed to his brain injury. The stutter disappeared when he sang. He also didn't appear to stutter when he spoke with the show's host after his performance.
Google "Mel Tillis" and you'll see that this isn't the first time there has been a stuttering Country Singer. I think this dude simply ripped off his whole act. The only difference being, that in Mel Tillis' case the stutter was real.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #212
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
I have no doubt that the guy's stutter is real. It just seems that it's not the result of a service-related injury like he claims it was.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #213
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by nataylor View Post
I have no doubt that the guy's stutter is real. It just seems that it's not the result of a service-related injury like he claims it was.
I'm not so sure... Why would he lie about how it happened? If it wasn't in the Military then how did he suddenly become a stutterer? I think if he lied about one, he could be lying about the other. Unless of course it happened as the result of a drunk driving accident or something like that where he'd need a better back story... I guess we'll see. Something like this isn't going to go away.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #214
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Oh my, that pole dancer...

Like a train wreck, that was so bad I couldn't avert my eyes.
Whoever rigged the pole did a good job.
did anyone else notice how disgusting the bottoms of her feet were?
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #215
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
I'm not so sure... Why would he lie about how it happened? If it wasn't in the Military then how did he suddenly become a stutterer? I think if he lied about one, he could be lying about the other. Unless of course it happened as the result of a drunk driving accident or something like that where he'd need a better back story... I guess we'll see. Something like this isn't going to go away.
Maybe he's lying about suddenly becoming a stutterer. Maybe he's had the stutter his whole life. Maybe it's the result of a non-service related injury and he says it's service related to get more sympathy.

Faking stuttering seems like it would be hard, especially when you'd have to be "always on" around the competition.

I bet we don't hear about him on the show. He just won't be there in Vegas, and they'll never mention it.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #216
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by inaka View Post
Yeah, it's a simple trick if he has a partner watching and relaying him info via a radio transmitter either as an earpiece, or if they checked his ear, one cleverly built into his blindfold.
Agreed. That's the only way he could do it. Most of these tricks have ridiculously obvious answers once you know what they are. Remember when they were making 747 Planes disappear in front of 50 people a few years ago? All they did was move the Camera over to where the plane wasn't. Yep. You guessed it. All 50 people were in on it.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #217
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Radio Howard would have LHAO when he started speaking.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #218
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Maybe he's lying about suddenly becoming a stutterer. Maybe he's had the stutter his whole life. Maybe it's the result of a non-service related injury and he says it's service related to get more sympathy.

Faking stuttering seems like it would be hard, especially when you'd have to be "always on" around the competition.

I bet we don't hear about him on the show. He just won't be there in Vegas, and they'll never mention it.
If he's been a stutterer his whole life then everyone in his life would know he's lying about it happening during combat. So does that mean his wife and all his supporters are in on the lie too? I hope we find out the truth some day. Can't imagine what it might be. There's always the possibility that he got brain damage some other way. But why lie when it's so easy to get caught? The whole thing just seems really bizarre to me.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #219
WhiskeyTango

Quote:

For what it's worth:

Quote:
However, AGTNews adds that his ex-wife, an Air Force veteran, claims Poe is compulsive liar whom she "never heard have a stutter like (he had on the show)."

WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #220
tiams

Quote:

Haven't they already taped the Vegas rounds? I'm sure they can re-edit them if so.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #221
inaka

Quote:
Agreed. That's the only way he could do it. Most of these tricks have ridiculously obvious answers once you know what they are. Remember when they were making 747 Planes disappear in front of 50 people a few years ago? All they did was move the Camera over to where the plane wasn't. Yep. You guessed it. All 50 people were in on it.
Yup. The "Mind Reader" trick reminded me of this clip, where James Randi exposed how a faith healer did essentially the exact same thing as this "mind reader":

Faith Healer Exposed

@ the 2:33 mark, James Randi uses a radio scanner to fully expose how this faith healer scammed his audience, with the radio transmitter and partner (his wife.)

Yup, same "trick".
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #222
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Of course there are ways of doing that without "cheating." Like when David Copperfield make the Statue of Liberty disappear. The audience wasn't in on that. It's just that when he moved the camera, he moved the audience along with it.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #223
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
For what it's worth:
Not sure how much of that AGTNews report I believe. The guy is 35. Their story says his ex wife caught him cheating on her in 1991. He would have been 13 or 14 in 1991. And she says "The whole time I have known him, I have never known him to be enrolled in any college. There is a possibility he may have an associates degree from before I met him. On his Facebook page he says he has a Masters degree in project management.” Why would she even think a 13 or 14 year old would have an associates degree?
Old 06-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #224
inaka

Quote:
Not sure how much of that AGTNews report I believe. The guy is 35. Their story says his ex wife caught him cheating on her in 1991. He would have been 13 or 14 in 1991. And she says "The whole time I have known him, I have never known him to be enrolled in any college. There is a possibility he may have an associates degree from before I met him. On his Facebook page he says he has a Masters degree in project management.” Why would she even think a 13 or 14 year old would have an associates degree?
Maybe he lied about his age too, and he's really 42?

"Everybody lies"
-Gregory House, M.D.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #225
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess 1991 is a typo. 2001 makes more sense.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #226
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
After rewatching the mind-reading trick, I think I've come up with something that doesn't require an assistant.

The coins actually hold the blindfold and tape off his eyes. This leaves a little bit of a gap towards the bottom of the nose. You can see what I'm talking about in this screen cap:

While he has Nick place the drawings face down, it sure is convenient that he gave them paper and a thick pen that bled through the paper. He also makes sure to have them draw something "big and bold," helping ensure the image is viewable from the reverse side of the paper.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #227
inaka

No way. It's gotta be a wireless transmitter.

The reason it's "big and bold" is probably because his partner assisting him in the trick had to view it from really bad seats and was farther away than normal.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #228
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
No way. It's gotta be a wireless transmitter.

The reason it's "big and bold" is probably because his partner assisting him in the trick had to view it from really bad seats and was farther away than normal.
There's a huge gap right there by his nose. It would be simple to see out of. The other thing is that he applies the last bit of tape himself, allowing for adjustment as needed so he can make sure he has at least a sliver to look through.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #229
inaka

Still leaves WAY too much for chance.
The pictures were folded and then unfolded above his head.
Plus, he had so much detail about each image. Giving the trick more fun by slowly revealing more details, etc.

He's doing this because it takes time for the partner to describe the image to him with detail.

Lastly, in any trick, it's about diverting attention AWAY from where people are looking. A trick like that relying on his actual eyes is where everyone will be looking. That's why he can slip in the ear piece undetected when he's doing the duct tape schtick.

A radio transmitter in the ear solves all of that and leaves nothing to chance besides maybe a battery/transmitter failure. But that's not happening if he's a pro.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #230
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
If he's a pro, he's practiced applying the tape and blindfold a thousand times before he even did it in public. And while he's describing one, he has plenty of time to look at the next one.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #231
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
And while the pictures were folded when Nick handed them to him, he quickly unfolded them:

Also, when he's applying the tape, you can see he's pushing the blindfold up his head, giving more of a gap at the bottom.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #232
inaka

Just assuming he can see out of the bottom, doesn't mean he can always see the art.
Again, you're then relying on someone not part of the trick to possibly ruin it if the keep the folded art behind their backs and/or reveal it in a way you can't see.

The Howie pic alone takes a few seconds to really grasp what it is. It could be a stick figure holding a kite unless you look really closely.

Wireless transmitter with a partner is the answer.
It's so obvious.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #233
tiams

The half dollars are an important part of the trick because when I have seen it done they were used then also.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #234
inaka

If he didn't have a earpiece receiver, I would expect him to say something like, "Nick, please feel free to check my ears to show I'm not using any listening device, etc." as part of the trick.

Then again, it's possible he said that an AGT edited it out, etc., but that seems unlikely as it would make the trick stronger.

Just sayin...
Old 06-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #235
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Just assuming he can see out of the bottom, doesn't mean he can always see the art.
Again, you're then relying on someone not part of the trick to possibly ruin it if the keep the folded art behind their backs and/or reveal it in a way you can't see.
He tells Nick to set the pictures face down in his hand. After then, he's in control of them.

Quote:
The Howie pic alone takes a few seconds to really grasp what it is. It could be a stick figure holding a kite unless you look really closely.
He had at least a few seconds to look at it. Brains are great at pattern recognition. And his instructions beforehand make sure they draw something relatively simple.

Quote:
Wireless transmitter with a partner is the answer.
It's so obvious.
While magicians don't mind using stooges when necessary, I'm sure they prefer to find a way that doesn't require them. If it really was a wireless transmitter, he could have done a lot more to make sure he couldn't see or even interact with the drawings, which would provide even more credibility to the trick.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #236
Donbadabon
Geocacher

I was convinced too that he used an earpiece.

But then I came across this page:

http://crisjohnsontricktalk.blogspot...d-tips-vs.html

For those that can't click links, it talks about an instructional DVD that tells you how to do the trick. From reading this, it is a solo trick, so he must be able to see out of the blindfold:

Quote:
During this DVD, you'll see John perform his 20 minute blindfold act. During the act, his eyes are ductaped shut, complete with coins and a sleeping mask. After all of this is done (with the assistance of two spectators) Archer asks three people in the audience to draw pictures on pieces of paper. Once finished, the three spectators join Archer on stage where he, blindfolded, describes the drawings.

The response is incredible and the working is surprisingly (at least to me at the time) simple. I actually bought this DVD two years ago and for many months was too scared to try it out. What if the audience left? What if someone screwed with me?

After trying it, I became addicted and have now done the act at least 100 times. It's angle-proof and everything can be borrowed. What's especially wonderful about this act is the fact that the journey to the revelations is highly entertaining - people can NOT believe you're actually putting duct tape on your face. Whereas many mentalism (and magic effects, for that matter) feel somewhat "procedural" during the set-up, here the journey to the pay-off is wonderfully engaging. In some ways, this is the perfect mentalism routine - angle-proof, no boring parts, visual, etc.

The visual aspect of the act is enhanced by Archer's decision to have people draw drawings as opposed to holding up small objects - keys, etc. It's more visible for the audience and, as Archer points out, it gives him more scope for comedy and ad-libbing.

Quote:
The blindfold has no moving parts, slides or sneaky, hidden gizmos. The "secret" is in plain sight, though you could leave this with laypeople for hours or days, and it's doubtful they'd ever discover the secret.

Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #237
busyba
The Funcooker

For what it's worth, I remember seeing Penn and Teller live about 20 years ago when part of their show was revealing some of the older illusions, and I recall that they mentioned that in tricks involving blindfolds, it's practically impossible for you to be rendered completely unable to see out the bottom.

Having now recalled that, I'm more inclined to think the trick is simply that he could see the drawings as he held the papers by his stomach, although I think the earpiece approach is also plausible.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #238
inaka

Quote:
He tells Nick to set the pictures face down in his hand. After then, he's in control of them.
Very true, and I didn't really pick up on this.
Your screen grab is a good one.

Quote:
He had at least a few seconds to look at it. Brains are great at pattern recognition. And his instructions beforehand make sure they draw something relatively simple.

While magicians don't mind using stooges when necessary, I'm sure they prefer to find a way that doesn't require them. If it really was a wireless transmitter, he could have done a lot more to make sure he couldn't see or even interact with the drawings, which would provide even more credibility to the trick.
All very good points.
Very possible then I too I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
I was convinced too that he used an earpiece.

But then I came across this page:

http://crisjohnsontricktalk.blogspot...d-tips-vs.html
Good link, thanks. I really was convinced too that he used an earpiece too, with my mind instantly going to that preacher clip I posted earlier.

You guys have swayed me a bit on this.
I was dead set on earpiece.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #239
WhiskeyTango

Stern mentioned on his show something about the producers mentioning that he did the trick alone in a room with them so that would rule out a stooge in the audience helping him.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #240
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Wow. I don't know what to think of this.
Quote:
Stuttering 'AGT' Contestant
Soldier Photo's A FAKE!!!
http://www.tmz.com/2012/06/07/timoth...o-afghanistan/