TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
buscuitboy

Question Xfinity on Demand with an Xbox360 & Series 2 TiVo

Ok, this might be EXTREME wishful thinking & really grasping at straws, but thought I would investigate. I was wondering if there could be a way to make a Series 2 (DT) work with an Xbox 360.

Here is my situation and why; I was looking to possibly get an Xbox360 for several main reasons; gaming machine, Netflix box and access to Xfinity OnDemand services with Comcast. I also have a Series 2 DT (lifetime) in my basement rec room that is basically hooked up to just an old school 36" Panasonic CRT screen and controlling a Comcast DTA box. This is probably the area where the Xbox 360 would go as well.

Now, since Comcast is about to require some sort of hardware (cable card, digital box, DTA) for all programming, I just went ahead & made my Series 2 a single tuner DVR (controlling a DTA). It works well for the most part, but it made me wonder if I could then somehow hook up the Xbox 360 RCA outputs to the Series 2 RCA inputs (currently turned off).

Go through the Guided setup again and then basically make the Xbox 360 the 2nd tuner for the Series 2. I could manually record OnDemand material from the Xbox360 to the Series 2. Then I could MRV its material to one of my main TiVos on the main level of the house (2 Premieres). Anybody ever try this?

I had sort of did something similar when I had a full digital box hooked up to this Series 2 (but have turned it back into Comcast). Was able to manually record OnDemand material to Series 2 and MRVed it to my S3 & S4 TiVos. It worked so wondering if it could work with a Xbox360. In theory, it seems like it should.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:53 AM   #2
Samantha Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
Ok, this might be EXTREME wishful thinking & really grasping at straws, but thought I would investigate. I was wondering if there could be a way to make a Series 2 (DT) work with an Xbox 360.

Here is my situation and why; I was looking to possibly get an Xbox360 for several main reasons; gaming machine, Netflix box and access to Xfinity OnDemand services with Comcast. I also have a Series 2 DT (lifetime) in my basement rec room that is basically hooked up to just an old school 36" Panasonic CRT screen and controlling a Comcast DTA box. This is probably the area where the Xbox 360 would go as well.

Now, since Comcast is about to require some sort of hardware (cable card, digital box, DTA) for all programming, I just went ahead & made my Series 2 a single tuner DVR (controlling a DTA). It works well for the most part, but it made me wonder if I could then somehow hook up the Xbox 360 RCA outputs to the Series 2 RCA inputs (currently turned off).

Go through the Guided setup again and then basically make the Xbox 360 the 2nd tuner for the Series 2. I could manually record OnDemand material from the Xbox360 to the Series 2. Then I could MRV its material to one of my main TiVos on the main level of the house (2 Premieres). Anybody ever try this?

I had sort of did something similar when I had a full digital box hooked up to this Series 2 (but have turned it back into Comcast). Was able to manually record OnDemand material to Series 2 and MRVed it to my S3 & S4 TiVos. It worked so wondering if it could work with a Xbox360. In theory, it seems like it should.
I think MoCA adaptors can be used to connect TIVO and Xbox 360. It can be used to stream HD videos and store them in it, but I am not sure about Xbox 360 working alongside Series 2 DT as a second tuner. If you come along anything pass it on.
Samantha Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post

There's no way it's going to work unless TiVo adds the ability to control an Xbox (for changing channels, etc) from the TiVo, which seems rather unlikely.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
buscuitboy

Well, in all fairness, I don't really think ANY kind of remote codes are needed for the Xbox360. Here is why. When I did something similar with my Comcast digital box (Scientific Atlanta), I had to manually record the OnDemand channel (ch1). Basically, I made the TiVo tune to ch1. It would do this and essentially activate its RCA inputs. I would then have to use the Comcast remote to bring up the OnDemand program I wanted to record on the Series 2 & go through the process to play it.

Therefore, I'm thinking the same thing could pretty much be done here; make the Series 2 tune to ch1 (which ultimately will be the RCA inputs), but then manually set up & start OnDemand material through the Xbox360. Then hit the record button on the TiVo remote and proceed that way. Will see.

I just remembered that the only downfall was that when I would hit the 'record' button on the TiVO remote, it would record that 4hr OnDemand block that was in the guide. So, I would have to either stop the recording manually when it ended or just have a LOT of extra nothing at the end of the OnDemand title.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
jmpage2

If you are talking about manual recording, then sure, possibly it would work. I have not manually recorded a television program in a decade though, so have fun with that!
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
There's no way it's going to work unless TiVo adds the ability to control an Xbox (for changing channels, etc) from the TiVo, which seems rather unlikely.
I've had IR remotes for my 360's for years(they came with the first few 360s I got in 2005/2006). I haven't used them in a while, and haven't used them with the slim models. But they worked with the previous XBox 360 versions. If the TiVo has the remote codes for the 360 in it's data base then maybe it will work.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:53 AM   #7
classicsat
Astute User

Not directly. The Series 2 DT , ironically supports only one box, period. Dual tuner requires analog cable, period.

The only way would be to get a VCR or such to get A/V from the DTA, or a full cable box, and an A/V selector to switch between the cable A/V (box or DTA through tuner), and the Xbox360.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote