TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #241
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by haplo888 View Post
It was better in the Old Netflix App when you could submit ratings by just hitting Thumbs Up/Down with the show selected.

Netflix likes us to submit lots of ratings. Making it easy like in the Old Netflix App will facilitate this.
I don't see how it is hard now. It takes about 3 seconds to rate a show.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #242
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13077 View Post
I was using the Netflix app last night and I couldn't get it to pause. When I hit pause it would pause for a couple of seconds and then start playing again. I tried several times without success. Am I doing something wrong or can you not pause anymore?
You have to wait for the pause to take affect. If you hit pause twice because you didn't think it was working, it will play again. There is just a huge delay in hitting pause/play and it actually happening.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #243
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
I don't see how it is hard now. It takes about 3 seconds to rate a show.

Yes it doesn't take long. Of course the old way with Thumbs up/down was better and quicker. But the new app is inline with the app on most other devices which is obviously what Netflix wants.

I always rate any titles I watch. That way the recommendations that Netflix makes are more likely to match my tastes.
If for some reason I don't rate it on after watching a title, I will periodically got to my disc rental and streaming history on a PC to rate them. So far I've rated over two thousand titles over the last 13+ years. But I'm not really sure when netflix started their ratinsg system.

My only real complaint with their ratings system is that you can't rate by half stars.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #244
Desktop Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
was just watching the pilot of Sliders. The video froze midway through and the sound kept going for a bit. Then it stopped, went black, rebooted.

I was having the same problem, minus the rebooting. Every few minutes the video would go black for about two seconds while the audio continued.

My Tivo has been on wireless and the coverage to that room has never been great, but it has been sufficient so far. I started to wonder if the new Netflix app was making great demands of the net connection, so I finally undertook a project that I hoped I would never have to do: stringing cat-5 to the Tivo.

It might be too early to deem this a total success, but I can report that while on wireless every single program I streamed on the new NF app experienced the video drop-outs, the one program I've watched on the new hardwired setup performed flawlessly.
Desktop Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:05 PM   #245
dave13077

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
You have to wait for the pause to take affect. If you hit pause twice because you didn't think it was working, it will play again. There is just a huge delay in hitting pause/play and it actually happening.
The problem was it would pause but after a few seconds it would start playing again. I only pressed the pause button once. Did it several times.
dave13077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #246
alleybj

Switching between 720p and 1080p24

I've seen that a number of folks have the problem that I do-- frequent switching up and down between 720p 1080p24, with brief blackouts in between. I get that I can switch 1080p24 off on the Tivo to stop this, but the picture really is better and I'd rather not. Does anyone have any idea why it's doing this? I understand why it switches up the first time, but why does it keep switching back and forth? Thanks
alleybj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #247
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleybj View Post
I've seen that a number of folks have the problem that I do-- frequent switching up and down between 720p 1080p24, with brief blackouts in between. I get that I can switch 1080p24 off on the Tivo to stop this, but the picture really is better and I'd rather not. Does anyone have any idea why it's doing this? I understand why it switches up the first time, but why does it keep switching back and forth? Thanks
Most likely bandwidth.. The App is having issues getting enough speed to maintain the PQ
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #248
aaronwt
HD Addict

I've not had any issues with speed from my FiOS connection. The titles stay at 1080P24.

But even at my GFs house and her slow 1.2 Mb/s DSL connection. The Netflix streaming is rock solid. Once it starts playing and reaches the max resolution for the bandwidth it keeps on playing. I am using Google DNS at both locations. When I initially switched to the google DNS, it did make a noticeable difference in the speed that streaming titles start from all streaming apps I've used at both locations.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #249
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by haplo888 View Post
It was better in the Old Netflix App when you could submit ratings by just hitting Thumbs Up/Down with the show selected.

Netflix likes us to submit lots of ratings. Making it easy like in the Old Netflix App will facilitate this.
Yes, but it is apparently too much to expect the Netflix app running on TiVo to act like a Netflix app on TiVo. Arrrrrrrg
Old 06-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #250
comma, splice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerome View Post
After a month with the new Netflix, overall I give it a giant thumbs down.

On the plus side:
Discovery is better

On the downside:
The playback is atrocious when it jumps between high & low bitrate-- complete black screen, no audio for a few seconds, then back. Wash, rinse, repeat.
Yep, this happens to me too. Even on my FiOS 30/30 connection.
comma, splice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #251
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by comma, splice View Post
Yep, this happens to me too. Even on my FiOS 30/30 connection.
Then maybe there is some issue where the servers are located for you since I don't see any issues from my FiOS 43/35 connection. And I would think my GF would also be using the same netflix servers since she is in the DC area as well.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #252
Desktop Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desktop Icon View Post
It might be too early to deem this a total success, but I can report that while on wireless every single program I streamed on the new NF app experienced the video drop-outs, the one program I've watched on the new hardwired setup performed flawlessly.

Yep, I spoke too soon. The problem is still there.
Desktop Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #253
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Then maybe there is some issue where the servers are located for you since I don't see any issues from my FiOS 43/35 connection. And I would think my GF would also be using the same netflix servers since she is in the DC area as well.
It also happened to me and I have a 100 meg business connection from comcast.

When I had my business tech guy (This guy can translate IP's to binary and binary to IP in his head, makes me not feel like a geek) look at my network he found sometimes there is a DNS issue (a good tell about ur DNS quality is how fast a stream starts). Because I run my own DNS server he did something so I always connect to the same node.

Before a show might take 5-10 seconds to start and now its 3-5.

Before that the easiest fix for me was simply stoping the stream completely (hitting stop not pause) and then starting it again.
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #254
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettf View Post
Before that the easiest fix for me was simply stoping the stream completely (hitting stop not pause) and then starting it again.
Although I know that the function exists because I use it, the TiVo remotes do not appear to have a STOP button. Am I not seeing something? (In this thread I kept mentioning that STOP should work as well as UP to get back to where you started playing a title and was surprised that no one else was saying it, then I dragged my peanut remote out and looked at it. I notice that STOP is a no-op in the old Netflix app though it works when playing a TiVo recording).

It's been years and years since I used a TiVo "peanut" remote and my various universal remotes through those years have always had the function mapped to their STOP buttons for TiVo.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:26 PM   #255
theanswriz42

I just received my tivo yesterday and was trying to use the Netflix app on there. It's definitely not as good as any of the other devices I have (PS3, Toshiba TV, Roku, and Google TV) due to the resolution switching issue. I got sick of it after a 1 hour long TV episode and switched back to my PS3 where I had absolutely no issues.
theanswriz42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #256
Innerloop

New Netflix app is terrible, no way to sugar-coat it. A huge step backwards in every way (performance, stability, streaming quality, etc.). And near as I can tell, I can no longer go directly to a show using the iPad interface.

Personally if there was a toggle to go back to the old one, I would in a heartbeat. The iPad Tivo app already has solved the discovery problem in a much better way, and while I would miss the captions, at least the thing would stream reliably and not take ages to move through the menus.

Big thumbs down. Next time, Tivo, do the programming work youselves, don't trust Netflix to deliver something up to Tivo standards.

Please revert or give the option to revert to the one that worked.
Innerloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #257
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innerloop View Post
The iPad Tivo app already has solved the discovery problem in a much better way...
Perhaps, for whatever subset of TiVo users use iPads. So if I want a complete Netflix experience on TiVo I should invest in a $500 tablet accessory? I cannot believe that anyone used this ultra-lame non-argument. "Why'd you mess things up, TiVo? Things were already great for those of us with iPads!"

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
Old 06-08-2012, 06:40 PM   #258
morac
Cat God

Personally I think if TiVo could fix the resolution switch issue (maybe have the app remember if the last video had enough bandwidth to stream at 1080p and start off with that if it did) and add the ability to bring up the playback status (playbar and info) like the Hulu Plus app, it would be pretty near perfect. As is, I would always switch to my PS3 to do Netflix. Now I'll use the TiVo.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #259
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Personally I think if TiVo could fix the resolution switch issue (maybe have the app remember if the last video had enough bandwidth to stream at 1080p and start off with that if it did)
I doubt that will ever happen. Netflix's adaptive bitrate streaming is standardized across all platforms now. It constantly adjusts to streaming conditions on the fly. The only "fix" I can see happening is TiVo could keep from switching between 1080i and 720p by converting to either format it starts with. I don't see a way for them to fix the 1080p switching.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:34 PM   #260
Drewster
Shooting blanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac
As is, I would always switch to my PS3 to do Netflix. Now I'll use the TiVo.
Similar with us. I used to have a Roku plugged in. We always used it for NetFlix because the TiVo was so lousy at it. Now we use the TiVo and the Roku is in a box.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:15 AM   #261
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
Similar with us. I used to have a Roku plugged in. We always used it for NetFlix because the TiVo was so lousy at it. Now we use the TiVo and the Roku is in a box.
I still use my Roku2 for the DD+ 5.1 titles. For the stereo titles I use the TiVo.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:13 AM   #262
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt
I still use my Roku2 for the DD+ 5.1 titles. For the stereo titles I use the TiVo.
The new Netflix on TiVo does 5.1 audio.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #263
lujan

I was watching a movie on the new Netflix app this morning and doing some rewinding and the app kept going to the black screen so many times; I couldn't stand it. I went to the Netflix app on my LG blu-ray player to watch the rest of the movie.
7 DVD
lujan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #264
HockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleybj View Post
There's a good article over here explaining the hardware limitiations of the tivo.
http://www.techofthehub.com/2012/05/...on-review.html

Personally I think Tivo's netflix app is a great success. Not seeing the flicker after 30 seconds is disappointing, knowing the video was only encoded 1080p/30fps is a letdown.
HockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #265
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
Personally I think Tivo's netflix app is a great success. Not seeing the flicker after 30 seconds is disappointing, knowing the video was only encoded 1080p/30fps is a letdown.
Very few titles have 720p encodings but not a 1080p one. If you know that the title has HD encodings, it's more probable that conditions on your connection to Netflix's servers are such that you aren't getting enough bandwidth/response from the servers to get to the 1080p24 encoding.

I don't think that there are any HD p30 titles. There are some HD p25 titles (generally British TV)--I wonder what TiVo does with those? Somebody try an episode of the recent Doctor Who series (from the latest seasons--the first seasons were SD only).

"
" -- hookbill
Old 06-09-2012, 01:10 PM   #266
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts
I don't think that there are any HD p30 titles. There are some HD p25 titles (generally British TV)--I wonder what TiVo does with those? Somebody try an episode of the recent Doctor Who series (from the latest seasons--the first seasons were SD only).
I tried Doctor Who season 6 and it displayed at 1080i (I only have 1080i and 1080p) selected.

I did notice something odd with the audio. It's supposed to be Dolby Digital Plus, but the first time I tried playing it was only Dolby Digital. When I stopped and started again, it was then Dolby Digital Plus. I'm not sure what the difference is exactly other than what my audio receiver reports. I know DDP can do 7.1 audio, but I don't Netflix has any titles encoded with that.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #267
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
I tried Doctor Who season 6 and it displayed at 1080i (I only have 1080i and 1080p) selected.

I did notice something odd with the audio. It's supposed to be Dolby Digital Plus, but the first time I tried playing it was only Dolby Digital. When I stopped and started again, it was then Dolby Digital Plus. I'm not sure what the difference is exactly other than what my audio receiver reports. I know DDP can do 7.1 audio, but I don't Netflix has any titles encoded with that.
On my other players it gets up to 1080p (I can tell on my Sony BD player and the PS3's player which have stream status overlays you can call up); they can handle the conversion but I don't think that TiVo can (if it can't convert p24 to p30 or i30 then it's hard to believe that it could convert p25 to i30 or p24).

"
" -- hookbill
Old 06-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #268
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts
On my other players it gets up to 1080p (I can tell on my Sony BD player and the PS3's player which have stream status overlays you can call up); they can handle the conversion but I don't think that TiVo can (if it can't convert p24 to p30 or i30 then it's hard to believe that it could convert p25 to i30 or p24).
Doesn't the PS3 display all programs at 1080p?
Old 06-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #269
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Doesn't the PS3 display all programs at 1080p?
As does my PS3, Xbox, Roku and BD player--everything except my TiVo S3 (until I get my Premiere). They all convert anything they're displaying to 1080p. The PS3 and the Sony BD player can tell me which Netflix encoding they're playing in a little status overlay in the upper lefthand corner, like this:

Spoiler:
It describes the currently played encoding as Low/SD, Medium/SD, High/SD, Medium/HD, High/HD or X-High/HD (updated in realtime so you can see it switch); X-High/HD indicates 1080p.

There's a TiVo backdoor code to get it to describe the video its playing, isn't there? SPS-Replay-S? Does that work on the Premiere when you're playing Netflix? If so, what does it say when you're playing Doctor Who? EDIT: That code doesn't seem to work on my S3 anymore--is it still there?

"
" -- hookbill
Old 06-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #270
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
There's a TiVo backdoor code to get it to describe the video its playing, isn't there? SPS-Replay-S? Does that work on the Premiere when you're playing Netflix? If so, what does it say when you're playing Doctor Who? EDIT: That code doesn't seem to work on my S3 anymore--is it still there?
Those backdoors aren't relevant for TiVo HME applications.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote