TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-31-2012, 12:45 PM   #181
pmyers

Keep in mind with these dance troops (spelling) that they cycle members in and out constantly so I would predict that there isn't a single person in there that was there 6 years ago so I don't see any problem with them coming back again.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:57 PM   #182
ConstableClyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
And funnier!

I liked Howard but he is definitely playing the "Howard Stern" character for this

Perfect description, Howard Stern character. I like that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ConstableClyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:32 PM   #183
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
Keep in mind with these dance troops (spelling) that they cycle members in and out constantly so I would predict that there isn't a single person in there that was there 6 years ago so I don't see any problem with them coming back again.
I can't tell in the YouTube video but it seems to me the main guy who was talking during this audition was part of the group back in S1. I think though that could be the argument saying hey it is the same name, but look most if not all of are new so it is a new group and if we audition under another name then it wouldn't be a big deal.

Another group I liked from Tampa was the brass band but then again I like the acts that perform years at theme parks and become locals to the area. Many long time acts in theme parks all got the ax recently and it is sad to see that happen, so I have a soft spot for them.

S2 526 HR - Lifetime
Premiere XL4 300 HR - Lifetime

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #184
tiams

Did anyone else think it was weird they didn't have a better shot of the Human Cannonball's landing?

In later rounds, his act is just going to be the same thing. It was interesting one time, but the thrill for the audience watching acts like this is wondering if something will go terribly wrong. But that only works for a live audience; we at home watching on TV know that nothing is going to go wrong, so there is no tension.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #185
Fish Man
Phish Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Did anyone else think it was weird they didn't have a better shot of the Human Cannonball's landing?

In later rounds, his act is just going to be the same thing. It was interesting one time, but the thrill for the audience watching acts like this is wondering if something will go terribly wrong. But that only works for a live audience; we at home watching on TV know that nothing is going to go wrong, so there is no tension.
Agreed.

He'll be this year's "Professor Splash".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fish Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #186
Donbadabon
Geocacher

I loved the 'sand artist'. It was very cool how he changed the scene with just a small modification.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #187
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
They had the shot, they just chose to not show it to us, so that they could make us think that he went splat.

The editing was very manipulative. First, the "under net" angle was shot in a way that gave no indication of how high off the ground the net actually was. Then they do a smash cut away from the net just after he's landed in it but not stopped descending. Then they add a "splat" sound effect as they cut away and cut to Nick saying "oh sh*t!" and running to the landing zone.

It was all designed to make us think something horrible had happened, just so they could have some artificial tension before revealing that he was okay.

Afterwards, on the replays, they couldn't then show a "good" angle because that would be admitting that they had withheld it the first time.

I found it to be quite annoying and dooshy. It's why I hate shows like this. It's why I only watch for the initial train-wreck auditions phase. Truthfully, I feel dirty even watching that much of it, given the vile production tactics.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #188
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
They had the shot, they just chose to not show it to us, so that they could make us think that he went splat.

The editing was very manipulative. First, the "under net" angle was shot in a way that gave no indication of how high off the ground the net actually was. Then they do a smash cut away from the net just after he's landed in it but not stopped descending. Then they add a "splat" sound effect as they cut away and cut to Nick saying "oh sh*t!" and running to the landing zone.

It was all designed to make us think something horrible had happened, just so they could have some artificial tension before revealing that he was okay.

Afterwards, on the replays, they couldn't then show a "good" angle because that would be admitting that they had withheld it the first time.

I found it to be quite annoying and dooshy. It's why I hate shows like this. It's why I only watch for the initial train-wreck auditions phase. Truthfully, I feel dirty even watching that much of it, given the vile production tactics.

Kinda like the way we were shown the "escape artist" in the trap. All tension is going to be artificial with these acts. Even my 9 year old knows nothing bad is going to happen.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #189
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Kinda like the way we were shown the "escape artist" in the trap. All tension is going to be artificial with these acts. Even my 9 year old knows nothing bad is going to happen.
At least the escape artist's act (if done right) is specifically designed to have artificial tension built into it. I'm not even sure why they needed to do all the BS camera tricks to add to it (unless the guy didn't do a good job of doing it on his own).

With the cannonball guy though, they were just flat out engaging in cheap deception.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:24 PM   #190
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:

They also threw in a couple of blasts on the ambulance siren as Nick went running to the net trying to make us think the ambulance was on the move.

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:45 PM   #191
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
With the cannonball guy though, they were just flat out engaging in cheap deception.
At least they didn't do what usually happens in non-circus televised human cannonball shootings - have a "test run" with a dummy that (intentionally, but they never mention that part) misses the net.

And one "advantage" of living on the west coast is, even on the live shows, you know that nothing serious is going to happen - if they were to show something like this live out east and a serious injury were to happen, almost certainly NBC would edit it out of the west coast airing. (Pretty much every swear word that "got through" on live broadcasts of SNL has been edited out of the west coast broadcast - in fact, according to one book about SNL, when Charles Rocket dropped his famous F-bomb, pretty much the first thing the executive producer did was to call NBC Los Angeles and warn them, so it would be censored.)
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #192
tiams

Quote:
At least the escape artist's act (if done right) is specifically designed to have artificial tension built into it. I'm not even sure why they needed to do all the BS camera tricks to add to it (unless the guy didn't do a good job of doing it on his own).

Only a live audience experiences any tension. All of us watching TV know that if something horrible had happened during taping, we would have heard about it before and it wouldn't air. It's all ho-hum.

side note: When I was a kid, I got so excited for Evel Knievel's stunts! We need live daredevil stunts to make a comeback!
Old 06-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #193
inaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
I loved the 'sand artist'. It was very cool how he changed the scene with just a small modification.
Yeah, I liked the sand artist too.
Reminded me a bit of Denny Dent's use of music and art.
I had never seen that done with sand before. Very cool.
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #194
pmyers

I thought I had remembered seing something similiar with the sand from a previous season....but it was cool and it was patriotic which is always a crowd pleaser
Old 06-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #195
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
I thought I had remembered seing something similiar with the sand from a previous season....but it was cool and it was patriotic which is always a crowd pleaser
Same here. Not exactly original, but then again, what is? I wonder if they will have people in blackout suits using lights in front of a darkened background again this year?
Old 06-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #196
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Interesting... a quick check of Wikipedia indicates that a clogging group out of Myrtle Beach, SC named "All That" came in second during season 1. This show allows repeat acts, particularly an act that made it all the way to the finale?
That's very strange.
What's even stranger is I totally forgot Brandy was once a judge!!!
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #197
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
That's very strange.
What's even stranger is I totally forgot Brandy was once a judge!!!
Me too. Now that you mention it, I do recall that she was terrible and was only there to promote herself. That stuck with me.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #198
tiams

The mind reader - I have seen the trick before, complete with half dollars duct taped over the eyes. But I don't know how it is done? Anyone know?

Chainsaw to an apple in the mouth - what makes people so stupid?

Goth singer - wow. He has never sung in front of anybody ever, and he decides to do it on a national TV show? He was amazingly good, but I have suspicions about the backstory.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #199
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
The mind reader - I have seen the trick before, complete with half dollars duct taped over the eyes. But I don't know how it is done? Anyone know?

http://www.ottoexcellence.com/produc...-ear-receiver/
Old 06-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #200
morac
Cat God

I guess he thought no one would check.

http://apne.ws/MBFNN2
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:37 PM   #201
CorgiMom28
In search of a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einselen View Post
Another group I liked from Tampa was the brass band but then again I like the acts that perform years at theme parks and become locals to the area. Many long time acts in theme parks all got the ax recently and it is sad to see that happen, so I have a soft spot for them.
Me too! When they came on stage, I immediately thought Busch Gardens! A friend of mine saw them at a tailgate before a Bucs game... I'm glad they're getting national exposure, they definitely deserve it.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:05 PM   #202
bryhamm
randomize

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataylor View Post
You think he had someone watching them in the audience? That's how the trick is done?

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:06 PM   #203
bryhamm
randomize

Quote:

Chainsaw to an apple in the mouth - what makes people so stupid?

Goth singer - wow. He has never sung in front of anybody ever, and he decides to do it on a national TV show? He was amazingly good, but I have suspicions about the backstory.
Regardless of the back story, was still very unexpected.

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:12 PM   #204
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryhamm View Post
You think he had someone watching them in the audience? That's how the trick is done?
Pretty sure. A lot of mentalism relies on stooges.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:04 AM   #205
spikedavis

I don't understand how a human cannonball is considered a "talent". The cannon does all the work.
spikedavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:43 AM   #206
inaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryhamm View Post
Yeah, it's a simple trick if he has a partner watching and relaying him info via a radio transmitter either as an earpiece, or if they checked his ear, one cleverly built into his blindfold.
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #207
danterner
Not it!

I too assumed he had someone in the audience whispering the descriptions in his ear via a wireless earpiece, and that he stuck the earpiece in his ear when wrapping the unnecessary extra tape around his head, and that he removed and discarded it with the tape when he took the tape off. I'd be curious to see whether he could still "read the judges' minds" if the pictures they drew were hidden from the view of the audience.

That story about the war veteran is crazy if true. Wow.
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #208
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Oh my, that pole dancer...

Like a train wreck, that was so bad I couldn't avert my eyes.
Whoever rigged the pole did a good job.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #209
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post

Yikes.

I gotta say though, when he was with Nick afterwards and Nick said, "that whole sentence, you didn't stutter", I didn't suspect anything, but I did jokingly think he was thinking "oh crap, I forgot to stutter!"

Old 06-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #210
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post

People probably missed this the first time, but the stuttering military guy is fake (according to this article).