TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
joe1515

Does Premier XL have less re-boot issues than the Elite/XL4?

Are the premier XL's just as succeptable to the re-boot problem as the Elite/XL4?

I need to upgrade my HD unit which just died, the power won't turn on. I wanted to get another premier or elite. So this a good time. I am just concerned about the issues I keep reading about Elite/XL4 units.

Am I way off base thinking the premier XL is more stable than the Elite/XL4?

Thanks
Joe
joe1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

My Premiere XL was a flaky beast with reboot problems, my Elite has never rebooted unless requested, in fact my Elite has been the most reliable and best performing Tivo I have had since I came to the flock in 2000
Old 06-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
UCLABB

You know it would be helpful if people that respond provide some info on their set up. In reading about this issue it seems that the tuning adapter seems to be in the mix and a system like FIOS without an adapter seems to be problem free. So it would helpful if people indicated the system and whether they have a tuning adapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
My Premiere XL was a flaky beast with reboot problems, my Elite has never rebooted unless requested, in fact my Elite has been the most reliable and best performing Tivo I have had since I came to the flock in 2000

Last edited by UCLABB : 06-05-2012 at 07:48 PM.
UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
DeWitt

My Fios based (No adapter) Premeire XL has been problem free. All HDMI connections for output. It was a significant improvement in stability over the HD it replaced.
DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:26 AM   #5
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWitt View Post
My Fios based (No adapter) Premeire XL has been problem free. All HDMI connections for output. It was a significant improvement in stability over the HD it replaced.
My Comcast connected TPXL has also been problem free and i have a 2Tb drive upgrade installed. I should note that I only use the SDUI and that may make a difference in anybody's re-boot problems. (no tuneing adapter)

Old 06-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #6
joe1515

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLABB View Post
You know it would be helpful if people that respond provide some info on their set up. In reading about this issue it seems that the tuning adapter seems to be in the mix and a system like FIOS without an adapter seems to be problem free. So it would helpful if people indicated the system and whether they have a tuning adapter.
I am running Fios with no adapter and I do not use any of the online or streaming features I have a Roku for Netflix, HBO Go, etc...

Thank for the replies. Keep them coming.

Joe
joe1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
Ed_Hunt
Pokerpro

Reboot

I have two Premiers using Comcast (for another month) and over the air. Never had a reboot with either.
1 Roamio OTA only
60" LG Plasma
60" Vizio 1080P
36" LG HD
Ed_Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #8
DonaldBurns65144

Our FIOS connected TPXL has had very few reboots over the 18 mts (more or less) that we've owned it.
DonaldBurns65144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #9
stlbluesfan74
Mike

I have two Premiere XLs with Charter cable and a tuning adapater. So far no reboots. However I've only had them for a couple of months.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:47 AM   #10
jaredmwright

I have two TiVo Premiere units, one upgrade to 1TB and the other upgraded to 2TB drives with M-cards on Comcast in the Bay Area with no SVD. I have had zero problems with either one. I received the first Premiere right when they came out and the second about 9 months ago. No complaints here.

I just purchased a TiVo XL4 (Elite) this weekend on sale; couldn't resist.

I also have two TiVo HDs and previously had a Series3. When I did have problems in the past, one ended up being RMA'd and that fixed the flaky issues. The others have all been rock solid. I haven't owned a TiVo that I didn't uprade the hard disk in, maybe that helps in some way? I do know I have had low signal which caused problems like pixelation and hanging that appeared TiVo related, but ultimately weren't. I agree with others, have your signals checked and make sure they are clean across the range.

I will be selling my two Tivo Lifetime Series3 HDs (500GB and 1TB upgraded drives) now and going all in on Premiere and hoping the streaming box works out.
DirecTV HR22 HDMI/ETHERNET & Slingbox Solo
jaredmwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #11
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Is anyone getting Elite reboots who does not have MoCA internet connection? Mine reboots when you change or add or backup season passes at the Tivo.com site, and I'm thinking it is Internet related. I've had two spontaneous reboots while just watching something too and don't know what kind of background activitiy might have been going on.
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:25 AM   #12
atmuscarella

No rebooting issues with my Premiere. 2TB upgrade drive used for OTA only, connected via Frontier DSL, using HD UI, auto download many pod casts, use Pandora allot, YouTube a little but not Netflix or Hulu+.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #13
brianfuchs

I had 3XLs and an Elite. FiOS. Not a single problem with any of the XLs, but the Elite was a nightmare. Pixellation, reboots, freezing, constant complaining about signal strength. I returned the Elite at 29 days and bought a 4th XL.

3 months later, and not a single spurious reboot on any of the XLs. I have had a freeze happen 4 times in that period of time, across 3 different machines. I'll live with that until the fix all of the problems that Elite has.
TiVo 4. Premiere XL
brianfuchs is offline   Reply With Quote