TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-12-2012, 06:22 AM   #1
Joe54

Arrow Lost ability to download Tivo content

I haven't seen this metioned anywhere else and I guess this is to serve more as a warning.

The local Comcast recently converted to all digital channels. The fact that I lost the ability to use the 2nd tuner in my Series 2 was bad enough, but when I started to experience errors when changing channels, I figured it was time to get rid of my Motorola DCT2000 box.

I took it back to Comcast and they replaced it with a Pace unit. The unit they gave me was sitting on a shelf without a box. The channels change just fine with the IR drivers, but, since I installed the new cable box, everything recorded on the TIVO shows up as protected. There is nothing in the users guide I found online that talks about this.

My S2ST is connected with the Comcast DCA and does not have this problem. The other forums indicate the S2DT does not support the cable box attached through coax. My attempts to connect with the DCA support this.

Unless anyone has any suggestions, I am stuck.
Joe54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

You're basically stuck*.

Programs are copy protected when they come from a digital source because you basically have a "perfect copy" of the program.

Content providers don't seem to care as much if an analog source is copied.

* If your Google skills are good you might find a hardware solution to your problem, but I think you might find that it is more trouble than it's worth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:34 AM   #3
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe54 View Post
I haven't seen this metioned anywhere else and I guess this is to serve more as a warning.
You can't have looked very hard. The CCI byte discussion is splattered across multiple threads on this website.

Quote:
The local Comcast recently converted to all digital channels. The fact that I lost the ability to use the 2nd tuner in my Series 2 was bad enough, but when I started to experience errors when changing channels, I figured it was time to get rid of my Motorola DCT2000 box.
So the TiVo was controlling the DCT2000?

In any case, it doesn't look to me mike the DCT2000 is a CableCard based unit.

Quote:
I took it back to Comcast and they replaced it with a Pace unit. The unit they gave me was sitting on a shelf without a box.
How is that relevant?

Quote:
The channels change just fine with the IR drivers, but, since I installed the new cable box, everything recorded on the TIVO shows up as protected.
That doesn't add up. The S2 is not a CableCard based unit. The CCI byte can't be transferred.

Quote:
There is nothing in the users guide I found online that talks about this.
What user's guide?

Quote:
My S2ST is connected with the Comcast DCA and does not have this problem. The other forums indicate the S2DT does not support the cable box attached through coax. My attempts to connect with the DCA support this.
I'm not following you. What do you mean by, "cable box attached through coax"?
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:37 AM   #4
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Programs are copy protected when they come from a digital source because you basically have a "perfect copy" of the program.
Not on an S2, he doesn't. That's what isn't making any sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
* If your Google skills are good you might find a hardware solution to your problem, but I think you might find that it is more trouble than it's worth.
What, you mean hack the TiVo?
Old 05-13-2012, 02:41 AM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Not on an S2, he doesn't. That's what isn't making any sense.
Yeah, the only explaination I can come up with is it has to do with changing out the cable box. The "new" cable box is abiding by the CCI byte where the old one might not have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
What, you mean hack the TiVo?
Well, I just figured the possibility exists, it just depends on how much time/money you want to invest.

But for some reason, I suspect you already know this.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:25 AM   #6
ggieseke

I've seen one other case like that with a new Pace box. I think it's reading the CCI byte and applying Macrovision copy protection to the output, which a Series 2 will honor.

I would see if you can get your old Motorola box back. There are a lot of them still in use and IR control is very reliable if set up properly.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I would just get a Macrovision-stripping device and insert it between the STB and the TiVo. They could be had for as little as $10 back when I got one. They may be getting scarce in this digital age, though.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
Joe54

The Motorola DCT2000 is the Comcast cable box that has the worst reputatiuon for working with the IR drivers from the Tivo box. I have been through the tips and could get only about a 90% success rate on the cable box I had, even with the "IR tent".

After the switch to all digital, I started getting 007 errors from Comcast when the Tivo tried to change channels. The times the box recorded the wrong channel without an error code, the channels reached were not consistant as far as dropping first or last digits. Comcast says the 007 error has to do with the on demand feature which I wasn't using.

It was the swap to the Pace cable box last week that introduced the protected attribute to the S2D2. It was all programs, 1/2 hour sitcoms, hour long dramas & reality shows and movies. This week I noticed the programs I recorded on on FOX, CBS, ABC & SIFI are not protected, but shows from TCM & BBC America still have the red flag. The unprotected programs are still first run episodes.

Because I can still record all shows to my S2T1 unit attached through a DCA, I was hoping I could hook up a DCA to the S2T2, but the DCA connects through coax only. The D2T2 will only try to change channels on the cable box attached through the RCA jacks

I found no reference to CCI because I limited my searches to the boxes I own, S2T2 & S2T1. If what you say is true, the CCI bit can't be transferred to the S2, then there is something else that is limiting this recording, perhaps this Macrovision protection. The program shows up with a red flag and it states:
Due to policy set by copyright holder, this recording: Can only be kept until (1 week) or for 24 hours after you start playing it, whichever comes first. Cannot be transferred to VCR, DVD, or any other media device. To learn more, visit www.tivo.com/copy protection
Of course, kmttg honors the flag. But I can transfer the same show from my other Tivo to this unit and it will show up, side by side, without protection.
Joe54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
I've seen one other case like that with a new Pace box. I think it's reading the CCI byte and applying Macrovision copy protection to the output, which a Series 2 will honor.
OK, well that makes sense.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #10
lpwcomp

Why were you not using the serial connection to the DCT2000? Had Comcast removed support for it? I using one with my DCT2000 and a single tuner S2.

Also, your problem with copy protection is more likely to be the cable box putting macrovision on everything. Comcast usually only adds th ecc1 byte to premium content. Of course, that may be different in your specific location.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #11
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Of course, kmttg honors the flag.
No, no. The flag is enforced on the TiVo side. There's nothing that kmttg (or any other PC-side software) can do about it.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #12
agredon

Does Series 2 not support Cable Cards ??? Call Comcast and tell them you need a Cable Card. Better quality [all digital] and you can dump their c****y cable box. They might charge you $1/month for the card, but its worth it and it might fix the problem.

Back when I was with U-verse, their box would randomly block you from recording. That is, I could record a show on TNT one day, but not the next. I tried to record Buffy on Logo and it would block recording in the middle of the show. Their box even mistakenly blocked CW and/or CBS on several occasions. The funniest thing was that I could record the same show 3 months later when it was rerun or in the case of certain shows, I was able to record the show off on Demand while the same episode on the local CBS affiliate was marked as copy once or copy never.

I now have Comcast and other than Showtime, The Movie Channel, Chiller and HDNet (strangely, my U-verse box almost never blocked Showtime from being recorded, but would frequently block Logo and occasionally TNT, CBS, and/or CW - Comcast doesn't carry Chiller or HDNet/HDNet Movies except in a few markets where they bought out another cable company who already carried it) I can record everything I could before and then some (U-verse blocked AMC and Fox Movie Channel). Plus, Comcast + Cable Card has so far been consistent in what it copy protects (All the Premiums - HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Encore, Starz, Indieplex, and Movieplex). No random copy protecting of broadcast stations and/or TNT.
agredon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #13
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by agredon View Post
Does Series 2 not support Cable Cards ?
No. Only Series 3 & 4.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #14
babyfragthief

Cool multistream cable cards for series 2&3

I have always used multi stream cable cards, we get all digital channels, premium cable channels, but not on demand.....we use a motorola surfboard sbg6580,(2 macs, iPad, and phones) comcast(cable one also) approved router,yes it cost higher than some others, but everyone is digitally upgrading all around the country, and I so dislike cable problems. you all have heard it, its your modem, tivo, or anything they can say to explain why their cable is dicked up. Comcast went with a higher digital cable, and old router was not doing the job, yes they called to say so, and i ignored them, till i could not transfer, and tivo would lose signal while transferring, now hd shows are transferred fast) our rv is all wireless, and tivos update same....some premium cable channels are blocked, like HBO, but I record showtime, stars, and all lower channels, our entertainment area is small, so we get cable cards, no room for the box, and we move around for work, so using the tivo system works for us...also for those who buy this modem, if you look at the reviews some have had problems with install, I also had some, but I called motorola, and they kindly walked me thru the security issues that were occurring, using my tivos thru it, after that it works great, have had no issues at all.....
babyfragthief is offline   Reply With Quote