TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
jlin

Upgrade my new Premier box to 2TB BEFORE activiation?

When is the best time to upgrade the HD to 2TB from the 500GB internal one?

Should it be done before or after initial software download/activation?

Obviously it should be done before any recordings are made to save copying data time.

Last edited by jlin : 06-04-2012 at 04:35 PM.
jlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
Jebberwocky!

I did mine before after I made sure the original drive would activate okay. In other words I went up the the point where the next step was to activate and quit. Swapped out the drives and then did the activation process over and completed it.

I'm really not sure if that was necessary but I thought if the unit was defective out of the box I didn't want to possible ruin the warranty.
Jebberwocky! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
jrtroo
User

Do it after activation and cablecard install is working (and software is updated). That way you'll be ready to go immediately and if the drive ever fails your backup can go in with no issues.

Last edited by jrtroo : 06-05-2012 at 08:33 AM.
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
jlin

I won't be using it for cable. just OTA.
jlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlin View Post
Then wait a couple weeks to make sure everything is working properly. The extra copy time won't be that bad.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlin View Post
The only real issue is if you use cablecards, the pairing info is saved to the hard drive so if you don't copy the data to the new drive you would have to re-pair the cablecards. With OTA it will not matter.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Then wait a couple weeks to make sure everything is working properly. The extra copy time won't be that bad.
This.

But if you want to dive right in, at least power up the Tivo, complete the guided setup, and let it get the latest software version.

That way, when you do the upgrade, you won't have to do guided setup again, and it will already have the current software on it.
And, if/when the upgraded drive fails, you can re-install the original hard drive to get back up and running ASAP.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:48 PM   #8
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
But if you want to dive right in, at least power up the Tivo, complete the guided setup, and let it get the latest software version.

That way, when you do the upgrade, you won't have to do guided setup again, and it will already have the current software on it.
And, if/when the upgraded drive fails, you can re-install the original hard drive to get back up and running ASAP.
Also, wasn't there some problem with early software versions not supporting the 2TB drives? Or was that just a problem with the Series 3 units?
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:05 AM   #9
Series3Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
Also, wasn't there some problem with early software versions not supporting the 2TB drives? Or was that just a problem with the Series 3 units?
I believe since there is subsequent software developed by 3rd party that does allow an S3 (648) to see the entire 2TB HDD. This includes HDD's sold by Weaknees and DVR Dude, just as two examples. If you attempt to install a 2TB HDD without the necessary software, then the S3 will only see 1.5TB of your 2TB HDD.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:41 AM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Are you talking about the early TiVo software on the Premiere, or the open source aftermarket software used to upgrade to bigger drives?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:43 AM   #11
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Are you talking about the early TiVo software on the Premiere, or the open source aftermarket software used to upgrade to bigger drives?
I'm talking about early TiVo software on whichever box was being discussed back then. I think it was said that you had to update the TiVo software first because the original software shipped on the box wouldn't know what to do with a 2TB drive. Or if I'm remembering a Series 3 discussion, maybe even a 1TB drive would be a problem. So definitely upgrade the software from TiVo's servers before upgrading the drive.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #12
MeStinkBAD

Quote:
I'm talking about early TiVo software on whichever box was being discussed back then. I think it was said that you had to update the TiVo software first because the original software shipped on the box wouldn't know what to do with a 2TB drive. Or if I'm remembering a Series 3 discussion, maybe even a 1TB drive would be a problem. So definitely upgrade the software from TiVo's servers before upgrading the drive.
The TiVo has always been able to read up to 2.1TB.
MeStinkBAD is offline   Reply With Quote