TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
haplo888

Big transfer from HD to XL4

Hi,

I just bought an XL4 to replace an HD and I want to transfer like a hundred saved shows from my HD to my new XL4.

Is there an easier way to do this other than 1 by 1? Without pulling the HDDs.

How about bringing over Season Passes/Wishlists?

Thanks,
Haplo
haplo888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
vectorcatch

The season passes part is easy, if they are both online:
www.tivo.com/spm

Wishlists I think you will have to recreate.

And I'm not sure of a good way of transferring all the shows at once (you could go the pyTivo route, but that would require a push to the new TiVo, which would not allow them to be transferred in the future.)
vectorcatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
jrtroo
User

Do you need to transfer the shows to the new tivo, or just have them available for viewing?

I would use pyTivo (I suppose desktop would work, but it is not nearly as powerful) and save them onto a PC/server for pulling to the TiVo when you want to view.

Depending upon your cableco and how they treat copy protection, you may/may not be able to transfer the shows at all.

I'm sure someone will note streambaby for season passes, but I don't use it or know its capabilities. Try searching that term. I have not had problems with the online season pass manager.

In the alternative:
If your HD is not lifetime, try to get it for $99 when you call to cancel, then just use it for storage or as needed. This only works if you have the ability to transfer shows.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
shwru980r

Even if the HD doesn't have a subscription, you could still use it to watch the previously recorded shows. You can set the remote codes so that you can control the two tivos with one remote.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
haplo888

It has lifetime, that's not it. And they are on the same LAN so the XL4 can just navigate to the HD and transfer shows.

But I have to go through them one by one and it takes several clicks with surprising long UI load time for each selection.

Plus apparently "Transfer from Beginning" doesn't work. It always transfers from the pause point. So I have to go through each one on the HD first and FF to the end, ect.

It's taking hours just to select them. I was hoping there was some way to just transfer all my shows, or at least all the Keep Until Deletes.

Last edited by haplo888 : 06-04-2012 at 09:14 PM.
haplo888 is offline   Reply With Quote