Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #31
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
How about being bold and actually staying in high school and use new characters. Doesn't mean the gone ones can't show up. Just less of them. Like real life.
Three words: The White Shadow. Didn't the original Beverly Hills 90210 have one character age four years while the others aged three so they would all graduate together, and then the high school was pretty much never mentioned again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpacaboy View Post
As I was watching, the thing that got me was I was thinking was "Chang... Puckerman... Hummel... Hudson... Berry..." Traditionally, don't most graduation ceremonies go in alphabetical order?
Okay, it was 30 years ago, but mine didn't, and there were over 500 students in the class. I'm not sure how the order was determined - probably randomly. (In middle school, it was more or less by height, as they wanted the entrance of the students to go from shortest to tallest.)

Something else mine didn't have: the students moving their tassels from one side to the other separately, when they accepted their diplomas. "Traditionally," you wait until the end, and do it together. Of course, what usually happens is, everybody throws their hats into the air as soon as the last name is called.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #32
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
It's pretty hard to pull off. People generally like the TV shows for the characters. Lose all the characters, and the appeal goes away.

But there are exceptions. Friday Night Lights did it well. Of course, that show really wasn't about the kids so much. And by that time, the show had a fairly unusual arrangement in the way it was aired.
L&O did it well. Always reminded me of a real job, where some people leave and new ones come on board. Same with real high school. I had friends that were seniors when I was a freshman, and gradually as I got older, my new classmates were younger.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #33
alpacaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Three words: The White Shadow. Didn't the original Beverly Hills 90210 have one character age four years while the others aged three so they would all graduate together, and then the high school was pretty much never mentioned again?
Yup. Everyone except David repeated their Junior year.
alpacaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #34
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker

It's pretty hard to pull off. People generally like the TV shows for the characters. Lose all the characters, and the appeal goes away.

But there are exceptions. Friday Night Lights did it well. Of course, that show really wasn't about the kids so much. And by that time, the show had a fairly unusual arrangement in the way it was aired.
But they already started the process. Adding new students. And they will do it again with the Glee Project. Plus, as I said, they can have the old seniors be there at the start (summer), Christmas and spring breaks and at the end again.

Not changing the cast to create new stories helped doom Heroes. I can cite examples, too!