Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #91
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
I think the whole plot with Reek/Ramsay Bolton (Lord Botlon's bastard) would have taken too much time unless they make the show 12 episodes a season, I wouldn't complain. They left it very ambiguous as to what happened to Winterfell. They could have at least shown a few of the Iron Men dead to at least give you the impression something nefarious happened to Winterfell with Stark's own bannermen men.
But by then they'd already strayed from the plot anyway. I figure next season we'll found out what happened and it will amount to getting important characters where they need to be in order to continue the story.

My wife is not happy with how the show is going (she has not read the books) because it seems like only good people die. I started to disagree but actually from what I remember of the books...it doesn't pay to be a 'good' guy in Westros.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #92
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

If nothing else it is another cliff hanger to keep us excited about next season. What the heck happened at Winterfell. What about the men north of the wall? Etc Etc. I can't believe the season is over already and we have to wait at least a year for the next one. If Arya grows as much as Sansa did between years somethings gonna give.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #93
robojerk

Did the tv show ever reveal the fact the Peter Baelish asked for Cat's father for her hand in marriage even though she was promised to Brandon Stark (Ned's older brother). Peter and Brandon dueled over her and Brandon easily beat Peter, then gave him mercy on Cat's request, she did think of him like a brother after all. After Ned's brother and father were burned alive by the mad king, Cat was then promised and married to Ned.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #94
allan
I survived the Mayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
Did the tv show ever reveal the fact the Peter Baelish asked for Cat's father for her hand in marriage even though she was promised to Brandon Stark (Ned's older brother). Peter and Brandon dueled over her and Brandon easily beat Peter, then gave him mercy on Cat's request, she did think of him like a brother after all. After Ned's brother and father were burned alive by the mad king, Cat was then promised and married to Ned.
That rings a bell, but since I've read Book 1 and most of Book2 I can't swear that I saw it on the show, though I think I did.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #95
robojerk

I never really liked the whole drowned men, they sound way too anarchist to be as organized as they are. If the iron born way of life is to take things you want by force, how and why do they have a king? You would think there would be constant rebellions as they're motto is to acquire things by paying the "iron price", so even if the king of the islands took the little kingdom by force, any chance of his offspring inheriting the throne is zero since they never paid the iron price for it. Also they're little rebellion by raping and plundering the sea towns seems so near sighted. If the Lannisters or Baratheons win the iron throne, the first thing they would do is crush the drowned men little raiding parties. You would think a little forethought would mean aligning with the Starks (even though they hate them) would be the only way to ensure the little kingdom would have a chance to survive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerock View Post
But by then they'd already strayed from the plot anyway. I figure next season we'll found out what happened and it will amount to getting important characters where they need to be in order to continue the story.
I just think the whole plot was chopped up too much. Also I don't think the Theon's men would sacrifice Theon like they suggested on the show. How would they ever be able to live in a kingdom where they gave an enemy their prince so they could come home?

If the show was 2 episodes longer, they could have added these few scenes: I added spoiler in case someone hasn't finished book 2 yet.
Spoiler:
  • Bran sends men to capture Ramsay Bolton for raping/killing a lady of a house sworn to the Starks. Ramsay and Reek do their switcharoo, Rodrik thinks he kills Ramsay and captures Reek. ( they could hide the switch from the viewer)
  • After Theon takes winterfell he releases Reek and had him available to help with the search of the Stark boys that escaped.
  • Then after Theon's sister refuses to give him the men he needs to hold the castle, Reek could have offered his allegiance to Theon and promised to come back with more men.
  • Reek returns with his men and Theon let them in Winterfell reveals he's not really Reek but Ramsay, kills the iron islanders, captures Theon, burns Winterfell.
But like some have said in the episode thread, they could have left it mysterious to get people excited for season 3.

Last edited by robojerk : 06-04-2012 at 02:50 PM.
robojerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #96
robojerk

Speaking of books, there is a series of short novels called the Dunk and Egg Tales
Quote:
The DUNK AND EGG TALES are a series of short novels written by George R. R. Martin, also known as "Tales of the Seven Kingdoms." These tales take place roughly 90-100 years before the events of A Game of Thrones, and follow a young hedge knight named Dunk and his squire, Egg.
http://towerofthehand.com/books/dunkandegg.html

Has anyone read them?
Old 03-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #97
cherry ghost

Any thoughts on how to handle a Season 3 thread? If what I've read is correct, there may be some things from book 4 in season 3.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #98
stellie93

I hope we have a thread for those of us who have read the books--there are probably more of us than those who haven't at this forum by now.

I'm rereading book 3 now, and there's so much in there, I don't know how they're going to get to book 4 stuff.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #99
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
I hope we have a thread for those of us who have read the books--there are probably more of us than those who haven't at this forum by now.

I'm rereading book 3 now, and there's so much in there, I don't know how they're going to get to book 4 stuff.

I think Book 3 will be two TV seasons but there will also be some of Book 4 in both seasons. The new thread might have to be "Season 3 - All Books".
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #100
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Yes, the connection between specific books and specific seasons will apparently grow increasingly tenuous as we progress.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:31 PM   #101
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Even though I said I wouldn't, I'm rereading selected portions of book 3 now. Mostly just the Jamie, Tyrion and Arya chapters.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote