TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #31
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
can a 'human' set up a dns server themselves?
Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
If a 'human' can figure out how to run a Linux box, then yes.

for others-

I had an old router hanging around that I've been meaning to set up to increase my wireless footprint.

So i slapped DD-WRT on that and set it up to be my DNS server with dnsmasq caching.

Honestly it took a couple hours to fight my way though it (had to figure out how to get i to work alongside my current router to fit my particular needs) but eventually i got it and now my cached DNS times are:
0.000-0.001
that's compared to:
0.014-0.018 for the best internet servers in my area. (happens to be level3 is slightly better then the rest but there are tens of servers in this range for me)
0.024-0.027 for the 2 servers that my ISP (comcast) provides
0.031 for my old router just forwarding along comcast's dns servers
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #32
brentil

Placing your router as the DNS point that connects to the external DNS server might be still causing you slowdowns. If you use DHCP then your TiVo will be told to use your router as the DNS server which means it has to hit it then hit the 3rd party one. It might actually be best to set your TiVo to use that DNS directly instead of doing it via the router.

If you truly wanted to super speed up your interface beyond this then a http caching gateway would allow you to also cache all the resources the TiVo uses on your network so that it never has to hit off network to get them again unless they expire. That would take a lot of setup though as DD-WRT doesn't provide those features.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
brentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #33
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentil View Post
Placing your router as the DNS point that connects to the external DNS server might be still causing you slowdowns. If you use DHCP then your TiVo will be told to use your router as the DNS server which means it has to hit it then hit the 3rd party one. It might actually be best to set your TiVo to use that DNS directly instead of doing it via the router.

If you truly wanted to super speed up your interface beyond this then a http caching gateway would allow you to also cache all the resources the TiVo uses on your network so that it never has to hit off network to get them again unless they expire. That would take a lot of setup though as DD-WRT doesn't provide those features.
If I follow above using a local router that caches keeps it from having to use the external DNS for anything beyond the first check? Does the TiVo make so many "new" DNS inquiries that caching won't help?

(As an aside for others wondering DD-WRT is dramatically faster even for uncached then the stock firmware in my other router. Also unlike the stock firmware it allows you to pass the external DNS servers via DHCP)

The idea of an http cache is interesting. Can a human do that? Lol
But seriously that's what TiVo should have done that in the first place.

Bottom line I like to tinker and I needed to futz with the other router to get another AP but my perception of the speed of the HDUI isn't any different now than before even with dramatic speed improvement for DNS.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #34
DeWitt

On someones recommendation I switched my units to fixed IP addresses and fixed DNS (Open DNS) rather than using DHCP. This has worked out very well for me.
DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote