TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-02-2012, 08:59 AM   #1
sd0t22

Series2 suddenly not working?

Hi folks,

I am hoping someone can help me out or at least point me in the right direction - I would definitely appreciate it!

I have a Series2 DT Tivo with Comcast cable and a cable box. I've had this setup for over a year, everything working well. A few days ago a number of the channels weren't working... so I decided to go through the whole Guided Setup process again. I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that my cable provider sent some of the channels in digital but a few were still analog (i.e., the "basic cable" channels - 2, 4, 7, etc.). So I had the splitter connected, etc... and again all was working.

Well, after repeating the Guided Setup a number of times I couldn't get things working. What's weird is that, even though I told the Tivo setup process that I DO have a cable box, it then summarizes the info later on and tells me I selected "no cable box". When I clearly didn't. BTW I tried bypassing Tivo and was able to get it working fine.

So then I called Tivo...and they said that for my zip code their info shows the cable is all digital. So that I should remove the splitter from the configuration and go through Guided Setup again, selecting the option to disable the dual tuner on the Tivo. So I did that, and rewired everything according to a single tuner setup.... following the directions here: hxxp://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/97

At this point I repeated Guided Setup again....but no dice. :/ No picture at all. Really not sure what the problem is and could definitely use any pointers! I am far from an expert on this stuff, but not clueless either. Perhaps someone can confirm the connection configuration for me as well? As it's possible I have something miscabled... Note I have a VCR as well as a DVD recorder in the mix here too.. Composite connections, and RF coax (no component connections, no HD, no S-video, etc..).

Thank you much for any assistance you can offer!

Regards,

- Dave
sd0t22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
babyfragthief

sorry you are having issues, i also have a series 2, using a multi streaming cable card, and it gets glitchy, and acts up, weird issues, like while in the playlist, not listing to what my preferences are in tivo suggestion s, unknown series listed ect, I thought it was just the comcast cable area we are in....
babyfragthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyfragthief View Post
i also have a series 2, using a multi streaming cable card,
Your Series 2 doesn't use a cable card.

-or-

Your TiVo isn't a Series 2.

Take your pick.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
cannonz

Do you have the composite outs from tivo hooked directly to your TV? If not do that and see if you have signal if one doesn't work try other set. If you get nothing still and do get signal when hooking cable box directly then it has to be the tivo, try a restart if that doesn't bring back the composite outs try the RF out with coax.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
cannonz

If the above doesn't work only thing left would be RF for both in and out on tivo. If that works go back to composite out, still working would mean the composite in is defective.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:34 PM   #6
sd0t22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonz View Post
Do you have the composite outs from tivo hooked directly to your TV? If not do that and see if you have signal if one doesn't work try other set. If you get nothing still and do get signal when hooking cable box directly then it has to be the tivo, try a restart if that doesn't bring back the composite outs try the RF out with coax.
Hi Cannonz...thanks for replying. Yes, I have composite out from Tivo hooked directly to TV... I also tried using the 2nd set of composite outs on the back of the Tivo, still nothing. Note I only have one set of composite inputs on the TV.

Quote:
If the above doesn't work only thing left would be RF for both in and out on tivo. If that works go back to composite out, still working would mean the composite in is defective.
Maybe the RF connections are where I'm getting messed up here...not sure. To summarize, I have coax from wall coming into RF IN on cable box. And I have RF out on Tivo going to RF/Antenna In on VCR. And RF Out on VCR going to TV RF IN.

I have a series2 dual tuner, but I'm running it in single-tuner mode (no splitter, and I disabled dual tuner during guided setup), as all of my cable channels are digital.

Note if I bypass Tivo I can get all my channels just fine. i.e., cable from wall coming into cable box. And then RF Output on cable box going right to TV...works just fine.

Still confused... :/

Thanks for your help -

- Dave
Old 06-03-2012, 01:13 AM   #7
cannonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd0t22 View Post

Maybe the RF connections are where I'm getting messed up here...not sure. To summarize, I have coax from wall coming into RF IN on cable box. And I have RF out on Tivo going to RF/Antenna In on VCR. And RF Out on VCR going to TV RF IN.

- Dave
Do you also have the cable box RF out connected to tivo's in?
Old 06-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
sd0t22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonz View Post
Do you also have the cable box RF out connected to tivo's in?
No - I have cable box composite out connected to Tivo composite IN... Should I have cable box RF out to RF IN on Tivo too?
Old 06-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #9
cannonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd0t22 View Post
No - I have cable box composite out connected to Tivo composite IN... Should I have cable box RF out to RF IN on Tivo too?
If only now to see if the RF input will work (meaning the composite input is the defective part). Although I wonder if when you set it to single tuner if that shut off the RF in? You might have to go to settings tell tivo you will use the RF out from cable box to test.