TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-01-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
True Colors

Requesting help..... need assistance using pyTivo and kmttg

System info
- Tivo Premiere with latest firmware installed

- PC is dual core Dell, plenty of memory, Windows 7 pro 64 biit, new video card

I want to use kmttg and all of its features. In particular, I would like to use kmttg to get pyTivo to push files from my PC over to my Tivo.

I have read as much documentation as I can find, but I still get lost.

I installed
kmttg(main app seems to be working mostly okay)
Python(I have no clue if it is actually working or not)
pyTivo(I have no clue if it is actually working or not)

Help?

Thanks,

TC

Last edited by True Colors : 06-01-2012 at 04:10 PM.
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Colors View Post
System info
- Tivo Premiere with latest firmware installed

- PC is dual core Dell, plenty of memory, Windows 7 pro 64 biit, new video card

I want to use kmttg and all of its features. In particular, I would like to use kmttg to get pyTivo to push files from my PC over to my Tivo.

I have read as much documentation as I can find, but I still get lost.

I installed
kmttg(main app seems to be working mostly okay)
Python(I have no clue if it is actually working or not)
pyTivo(I have no clue if it is actually working or not)

Help?

Thanks,

TC
Did you find the respective threads on these SW items? I'm far from an expert on these but I do use them sparingly. If you look under Control Panel/Programs and Features, you should see Python installed (I think version 2.7.2 was recommended). have you been able to get kmttg to run and see your Tivos? It is a Java program so you need that installed for it to work. I also found that it was best for me to put the kmttg folder under my Documents folder instead of under Program Files because the kmttg configuration file was being blocked from updates by Windows when it was under Program Files. Assuming that you can get a kmttg window up (just need to double click on kmttg.jar to start), you can go to File/Configure/Tivos and check the boxes for "Start NPL jobs" and "Look for Tivos on network". Make sure those changes get saved to the configuration file (status appears at the bottom of the kmttg window and then hopefully you will see tabs for your networked Tivos. Clicking on a tab should bring up what is in your "Now Playing" list. There are other things under the configuration where you can point to the directory structure for the necessary programs. There is also a configuration tab for pyTivo.

My understanding is that programs that run under Python are similar to programs that run under Java. Right or wrong, starting pyTivo is as easy as double clicking on the pyTivo.py program. I put the pyTivo folder under my kmttg folder and then set kmttg to point to that path. When you start pyTivo, it should bring up a window that is labeled "pyTivo". It looks a lot like a DOS window. Before you do that, however, you need to edit the pyTivo.conf file, mostly to tell it where your videos will be located. When pyTivo runs, I see it located the IP addresses of my networked Tivos. After that, your Tivos should show a "MyMovies" entry in your Now Playing list. Select MyMovies and it will show you what is on your PC, just like selecting another Tivo that is in your list. Personally, I don't mess with the pyTivo "push" option. I just fire up pyTivo, and then go to my Tivo and request a transfer from MyMovies - just like transferring from another Tivo.

To sum it up, I use the kmttg interface to grab stuff from my Tivos, decrypt them if I want, and have them deposited in what I've identified as the MyMovies folder. If I want to get them back on the Tivo I fire up pyTivo and then request a transfer from the Tivo. Hope you can get it all working.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
True Colors

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me.

The newest version of kmttg is installed on my computer. It does open. And it does see the list of shows that i have recorded on my tivo. The only problem with kmttg is a minor one -- it does not display the remote control image properly. But i can deal with that later.

The newest version of Python is installed on my PC. It does give me a command line window.

I figured that maybe python is running(or maybe not). I tried to open pytivo, but it opened a command line window which quickly disappeared.

I guess that is where i am stuck. I do not know what to do now. I cannot figure out how to configure python. Or pytivo. Or how to configure kmttg to interface with these things.

I am a moderately technical person and i have read the message forum and other documentation. But i am still stuck.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

In case you had not found them, here are links to the applicable threads:

kmttg:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...ghlight=pytivo

pyTivo:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=328459

pyTivo wiki:
http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/PyTivo

Here is a link to a zip file that contains what I am using for pyTivo. Look at the differences in the pyTivo.conf file (mine) and the pyTivo.conf.dist (the distributed file):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39572185/pyTivo.zip
Old 06-01-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
pig_man

Quote:
The newest version of Python is installed on my PC. It does give me a command line window.
Which version of Python did you install? I think you need an older version of Python for pyTiVo.

[goes to look for info...]

Ah, found it:

"A Python interpreter, versions 2.4 to 2.7 are compatible"
pig_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:41 AM   #6
True Colors

I installed Python 2.7.3. Is that a problem?

I am able to open the Python command line window and I am also able to open the Python GUI.

Now what? Do I need to use the Python application to open a pyTivo file? Do I need to configure something?

TC
Old 06-02-2012, 08:54 AM   #7
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
I installed Python 2.7.3. Is that a problem?

I am able to open the Python command line window and I am also able to open the Python GUI.

Now what? Do I need to use the Python application to open a pyTivo file? Do I need to configure something?

TC
See my posting #4 above. Check out my version of the config file to see what needs to be changed. Then just double click on the pyTivo.py file to bring up the pyTivo command line window. No need to do command lines in that window unless you want to use pyTivo that way. Just go to your Tivo and look under "Now Playing" for the MyMovies folder and do transfers.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
True Colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Check out my version of the config file to see what needs to be changed.
What is the specific name of the config file? I see a few things in your zip file with the word "config" in them.

Also, how do I open it? I assume that I need to use the Python GUI to open the file that you are referring to?

Thanks,

TC
Old 06-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #9
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
What is the specific name of the config file? I see a few things in your zip file with the word "config" in them.

Also, how do I open it? I assume that I need to use the Python GUI to open the file that you are referring to?

Thanks,

TC
Copy the text below into a Wordpad document and save it as "pyTivo.conf". Edit the path names for your computer and put in the correct values for tivo_password, tivo_mak, and tivo_username.

[Server]
port = 9032
ffmpeg = C:\Users\Tom\Documents\kmttg\ffmpeg\ffmpeg.exe
tdcat = C:\Users\Tom\Documents\kmttg\tivodecode\tdcat.exe
tivo_password = xxxxxxx
tivo_mak = yyyyyyy
tivo_username = whatever@zzzz
tivodecode = C:\Users\Tom\Documents\kmttg\tivodecode\tivodecode.exe

[MyMovies]
type = video
path = C:\Users\Tom\Documents\kmttg\Videos

[_tivo_SD]

[_tivo_HD]
Old 06-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #10
True Colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Copy the text below into a Wordpad document and save it as "pyTivo.conf". Edit the path names for your computer and put in the correct values for tivo_password, tivo_mak, and tivo_username.
I know what my mak address is, but what is my tivo password and user name?

TC
Old 06-03-2012, 12:33 AM   #11
lpwcomp

Quote:
I know what my mak address is, but what is my tivo password and user name?

TC
It is the user ID and password you use to login to your account at tivo.com

--------------------------

Open a command prompt, cd to the directory that contains pyTivo.py and enter "pyTivo.py". Post the messages that it gives you.

Also do a dir >lst.txt and post the contents of lst.txt.

You do not need kmttg to do the pushes. You can do it directly from the pyTivo browser window. (localhost:9032). Personally, I prefer pulls to pushes but you should do it the way you prefer. Have you created metadata for the files?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote