TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
CA2DC

Help Please - HD Tivo Just Got Slow as Molasses

Yesterday morning while my kids were eating cereal and watching Dora on Tivo, my HD Tivo went through an unexpected reboot. Not sure why.

Afterwards everything slowed way, way down. I hit the Tivo button, and it takes 30 seconds or more for it to register and pull up the menu screen. Every button I push on the Tivo remote takes up to a coupld minutes to get a response out of Tivo.

Pulling up the Guide takes close to 10 minutes as each line of infomation slowly appears one by one in 10-20 second intervals. If I take the 5 min's it takes to navigate to a recorded show, then there's no problem watching it. It's only when I'm asking Tivo to process a request that it's as slow as molasses. It's almost as though it's processor has slowed way down.

I've had the box for 3+ years and never had a problem. I forced a reboot and afterwards it starts out working OK for a few minutes, but then it begins to slow down again. It's virtually unusable at this point.

I was thinking that maybe it was a software update that backfired, but since I don't see anyone else complaining about this same issue I'm assuming it's not a software update prob.

Any suggestions for what might be causing this problem and how to fix it would be appreciated.
Thank you!
CA2DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #2
True Colors

Have you tried switching between the HD and SD menus?

Also, how full is your Tivo?

TC
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #3
MeInDallas

If its the Tivo HD Series 3 then it only has the SD menu.

Do you have an external drive attached to it, or just using the internal drive only? You might try running the hard drive S.M.A.R.T. test on the drive and see how it comes out. Just reboot the Tivo and when you see the yellow pause light come on hit "pause 54" on the remote and it will take you to the test screen. Then run the full test and see if it passes.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:13 AM   #4
chamelea

FWIW, my older dTiVo (non-HD) sometimes slows down due to the remote control going bonkers. It seems that the remote begins sending a continuous stream of commands, and that the receiver can't catch-up.

I just bury the IR emitter port under a blanket or my shirt and then hit the "remote off". Then, with the IR port still covered hit the power-on button. This OFF-ON cycle always cures my problem of a runaway remote unit.

Nov '12 SWM Dish w/ THR22-100
Now retired: Oct '02 Elliptical dish
Sony SAT-60, Phillips 7000, HR10-250 w/PTVnet)
chamelea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:52 AM   #5
ggieseke

There could also be another remote with a button pressed down creating IR interference. Look under sofa cushions, magazines, etc.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
CA2DC

HUGE Tivo update in process, messing things up.

I do have an external hard drive attached and it's never been a problem. Wish I'd known about that SMART test.

The drive is always full b/c it never seems to delete anything permanently unless it's out of space. I can go into my recently deleted folder and find well over 100 deleted programs.

Wife and in-laws were in crisis mode without a TV (one TV house w/ Series 3), so I called the Tivo support desk. Asked about software updates, they said nope and it was probably time to buy a new box.

Picked up a Premiere XL, got it home, set it up and guess what? This box is as slow as molasses also.

Another call to the Tivo support desk, and this time they tell me there’s a HUGE software update coming out – new Netflix and YouTube interface, etc. Boxes all over the US are having issues, the Help Desk is swamped, and they told me to connect to Tivo through the network 3 times (yes, 3 times per the tech support guidance) to get the entire update. Don’t ask me why one network connection update wouldn’t be good enough.

Tivo tech support guy said the huge software update may have caused the issues with my Series 3, though it shouldn’t have been sent to me.

I’m a bit annoyed at this point and still working to get the Premiere update fully loaded and working.

Another question though, is there any easy way to move my Season Pass list to the new Premier?
Old 06-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
Series3Sub

I seem to be experiencing the same slow down using a more replacement glo remote for the S3, but the back light was on and I found that the backlight would turn off far to soon, but if I pressed the button a 2nd time, the command would be taken as the light indicated it received the 1st attempt.

One other thing would be to clear your Thumb UP/Down list as that indeed will slow down the unit. I had a pretty big lag on another S3 and I think I rated far too many shows. Anyway, once I cleared and deleted the Thumbs up/down, man it was a sports car snappy fast machine again. It has been confirmed that a long list of Thumbs up/down does push the database to the limit and will slow down the box.

Good luck.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:21 PM   #8
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA2DC View Post
The drive is always full b/c it never seems to delete anything permanently unless it's out of space. I can go into my recently deleted folder and find well over 100 deleted programs.
You do know that programs can be permanently deleted from the "Recently Deleted" folder, don't you?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #9
CA2DC

Deleting shows

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
You do know that programs can be permanently deleted from the "Recently Deleted" folder, don't you?
Yes, though the only way I know to permanately delete them is to select them and delete them one by one which takes a bit of time. I did try selecting the "Recently Deleted" folder itself and hitting "Clear" to delete them all at once, but that didn't seem to work. That was months ago though, so maybe they've created a more efficient "permanently delete" process since then.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
sieglinde

My Tivo HD became real slow once and I just simply rebooted it and it cleared up but it sounds like yours did a reboot already.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #11
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

delete all that stuff out of the Recently Deleted Folder and see if that helps a little, does for my THD.

Roamio Pro- $99 yearly grandfathered MSD
Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
TiVo HD- 2TB w/ PLS For Sale $350
Series 2- Just sittin around
DVR40- yours if you want it
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Joe01880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #12
bshrock

Quote:
Another question though, is there any easy way to move my Season Pass list to the new Premier?
Yes, Log-in to TiVo.com then use the Season Pass® manager
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #13
lpwcomp

Quote:
Yes, though the only way I know to permanately delete them is to select them and delete them one by one which takes a bit of time. I did try selecting the "Recently Deleted" folder itself and hitting "Clear" to delete them all at once, but that didn't seem to work. That was months ago though, so maybe they've created a more efficient "permanently delete" process since then.
While the "Clear" button can't be used to delete the entire "Recently Deleted" folder, it can used within the folder. Unfortunately, you also have to confirm the delete. What I do is hold the remote in both hands with my left thumb on "Clear" and my right thimb on "Select". I then do a series of "Clear-Select". Occasionally I get ahead of myself and have to re-enter one or the other and its boring but it's the quickest way I know of to perform this task.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #14
bshrock

I don't think deleting the programs in the recently deleted folder will make any difference. If it is caused by a failing hard drive the problem most likely will come back as a fatal error. Running Kickstart 54 is your best bet.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #15
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshrock View Post
I don't think deleting the programs in the recently deleted folder will make any difference. If it is caused by a failing hard drive the problem most likely will come back as a fatal error. Running Kickstart 54 is your best bet.
Usually, a failing hard drive will cause bad video and/or spontaneous reboots, not slow response.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #16
bshrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Usually, a failing hard drive will cause bad video and/or spontaneous reboots, not slow response.
Depends on where the bad spots are and if the data can be read correctly after multiple re-reads. This is where the SMART information can be useful.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #17
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshrock View Post
I don't think deleting the programs in the recently deleted folder will make any difference. .
From my experiences with my TiVo HD you would be wrong. A lot of programs in the recently deleted folder definently effects performence.

Roamio Pro- $99 yearly grandfathered MSD
Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
TiVo HD- 2TB w/ PLS For Sale $350
Series 2- Just sittin around
DVR40- yours if you want it
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Joe01880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:46 PM   #18
HomeUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe01880 View Post
From my experiences with my TiVo HD you would be wrong. A lot of programs in the recently deleted folder definently effects performence.
I don't know about the deleted folder, I have suggestions turned on. I do know from experience that a failing hard drive can really slow down a TiVo.
Another suggestion check the remote. I just replaced the batteries in the remote connected to my TiVo HD it was responding extremely slow to commands.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:09 AM   #19
Misterbee6

Any new information?

My TiVo Premiere just slowed way down. Takes ages to respond to the remote. Any help?
Misterbee6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:56 PM   #20
Andy D

Me Too!

I just noticed my Premiere with a very slow response to my remote.

I thought it might be a too full disk so I deleted about 10 or 15 hours. No joy.

Any clue as to where to proceed much appreciated.

Andy
Andy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:03 PM   #21
Misterbee6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy D View Post
I just noticed my Premiere with a very slow response to my remote.

I thought it might be a too full disk so I deleted about 10 or 15 hours. No joy.

Any clue as to where to proceed much appreciated.

Andy
I had the same thing happen last night. Based on recommendations in this thread I ran Kickstart 54, and the drive failed the test. My Tivo is now at Weaknees getting a drive replacement. Hopefully I got it to them in time to recover my settings and programming from the old drive.

BTW, I do enjoy doing this stuff myself, but time is short. We only have one Tivo and one TV, and since my Premiere XL uses a cablecard, I don't have a cable box. So , with the Tivo in the shop, and no rabbit ears, I have no way of watching TV at the moment. Happy to pay someone else to fix it while I am at work today. But a good reminder to have some other way to receive programming if I lose the Tivo again.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:33 PM   #22
Andy D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterbee6 View Post
I had the same thing happen last night. Based on recommendations in this thread I ran Kickstart 54, and the drive failed the test. My Tivo is now at Weaknees getting a drive replacement. Hopefully I got it to them in time to recover my settings and programming from the old drive.

BTW, I do enjoy doing this stuff myself, but time is short. We only have one Tivo and one TV, and since my Premiere XL uses a cablecard, I don't have a cable box. So , with the Tivo in the shop, and no rabbit ears, I have no way of watching TV at the moment. Happy to pay someone else to fix it while I am at work today. But a good reminder to have some other way to receive programming if I lose the Tivo again.
What is "kickstart 54"? Where do I find info?

Never mind, Google is your friend.

Thanks ,

Andy

Last edited by Andy D : 10-22-2012 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Correction
Andy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #23
Misterbee6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy D View Post
What is "kickstart 54"? Where do I find info?

Never mind, Google is your friend.

Thanks ,

Andy
Scroll up to message #14.