Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-31-2012, 02:23 PM   #121
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDawg View Post
BTW while Toni will take issue with its claims of "landscape accuracy" this video describes filming in the foothills of the Carpathian Mountains in Romania:

http://www.history.com/shows/hatfiel...mes-appalachia
Interesting.. thanks!
Old 05-31-2012, 06:45 PM   #122
Queue
UnbowdUnbentUnbrokn

I read that Anse was a shortened version of the German name Anselm. Devil was a nickname he picked up somewhere along the way.
Queue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:47 PM   #123
cheesesteak
Meh.

For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why the Hatfields brought Cotton Top with them on the raids.

Thank goodness Bad Frank met a violent end. Jim Vance, too.

I liked this miniseries a lot. I hope the History Channel does as good a job on whatever the next project is.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts

Last edited by cheesesteak : 05-31-2012 at 07:09 PM.
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:26 PM   #124
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
NBC Nightly News said it was #2, after "High School Musical 2".

I have no idea if this is a distinction between quick overnights vs the more in depth ratings, or big cities vs. whole country (or even if the "separate" groups I mention are really two ways to describe the same division).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:35 AM   #125
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
NBC Nightly News said it was #2, after "High School Musical 2".

I have no idea if this is a distinction between quick overnights vs the more in depth ratings, or big cities vs. whole country (or even if the "separate" groups I mention are really two ways to describe the same division).
I have seen H&M's listed as the #1 not-sports ad supported cable show. I wonder if HS Musical ran without ads making H&M's #2 over-all but #1 with ads.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:01 AM   #126
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Potato....po-tah-toe....it's doing well. We're through the first two hours and they were spectacular....

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:50 AM   #127
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
I have seen H&M's listed as the #1 not-sports ad supported cable show. I wonder if HS Musical ran without ads making H&M's #2 over-all but #1 with ads.
It has to do with Disney only running commercials for Disney, so it's not really ad supported.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #128
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

cherry ghost -- LOVE your avatar ...lifelong, diehard Blackhawks fan here...

XL4
Old 06-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #129
Queue
UnbowdUnbentUnbrokn

So how many facts in this were correct? How much was supposition or changed to be more dramatic?

I thought this was very good but I couldn't find information if Hatfield really deserted the Civil War.

And how did Nancy marry Frank Phillips, I thought she was already married to Johnse?
Queue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #130
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queue View Post
So how many facts in this were correct? How much was supposition or changed to be more dramatic?

I thought this was very good but I couldn't find information if Hatfield really deserted the Civil War.

And how did Nancy marry Frank Phillips, I thought she was already married to Johnse?
A lot was changed but IMO not to the point where it affected the story. For example the Wall Hatfield (Powers Boothe) character was a compilation of two Hatfield judges/magistrates- "Preacher Anse" Hatfield and Walls "Deacon" Hatfield.

"Desertion" is hard to figure- from my own family letters I know that my ancestors from this area regularly stopped fighting in the war to go back home for a spell. When the crop was in or the baby born they went back to fighting. They literally took vacations from the war.
If you browse through the muster rolls you see them present, not present, and back and forth.

The real reason I popped back in here is to tell y'all that The History Channel is airing a documentary tomorrow June 2 at 4pm est- America's Greatest Feud: The History of the Hatfields and McCoys.
Two hours, made in 2012 so seems to be new.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #131
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
...The real reason I popped back in here is to tell y'all that The History Channel is airing a documentary tomorrow June 2 at 4pm est- America's Greatest Feud: The History of the Hatfields and McCoys.
Thanks! Recording set...

XL4
Old 06-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #132
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
The real reason I popped back in here is to tell y'all that The History Channel is airing a documentary tomorrow June 2 at 4pm est- America's Greatest Feud: The History of the Hatfields and McCoys.
Already setup! Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #133
nirisahn

Quote:

Thanks! Will record.
nirisahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:09 PM   #134
jdfs
Unspecial Member

Is this being reshown or available by any electronic / ondemand means (other than torrents)?

HDR112 196 hrs - Retired
Tivo Premier with Extender
Tivo Premier #2
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini
jdfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #135
Byteofram
Survivor of C-bus

Yes...History channel is reshowing all the parts multiple times. Sat they are showing them starting at 5pm I believe in a row.
Byteofram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #136
Azlen

Considering the debate on whether or not it should be considered a Western, I found this article slightly relevant.

Will The Success Of ‘Hatfields & McCoys’ Spur A Wave Of Western-Themed Series?

http://www.deadline.com/2012/06/will...themed-series/

Just two weeks ago, TV networks’ infatuation with period Westerns seemed to have waned. Of the slew of such projects put in development by the broadcast networks last season, only one, NBC’s The Frontier, had been picked up to pilot, and it didn’t make the cut to series. At the same time, TNT passed on its own period Western pilot, Tin Star. Two weeks later, History’s Hatfields & McCoys burst into the scene, drawing huge crowds. Yes, its viewership skewed older, which is understandable given the historic subject matter, but there were plenty of 18-49-year-olds among the 13-14 million who tuned in for each episode to get the broadcast networks’ attention. And the timing is perfect as pitch season is just around the corner.....
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #137
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Also, this article from ew.com is tagged with the keyword "Westerns" and says:

'Hatfields & McCoys': 5 things to expect from History's miniseries

Quote:
3. Delight at seeing Costner doing another Western. It’s more than just how comfortable he looks in costume, on horseback, and carrying a pistol. It’s that you believe he understands backcountry justice, which makes a scene like the one in part 3, when Devil Anse takes his loose-lipped son Johnse fishing — and sits behind him — all the more suspenseful.
It's also tagged with the keywords "Middle-Aged Butt-Kicking". That made me laugh!

So, in my opinion, no it is not a Western in the strictest sense of the word, but it is definitely very similar to the Western genre. If you were to remove the names of the families and locations, people would assume it's a Western. Only by using historical names would people know it was Kentucky & W Virginia.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #138
tlc

Stumbled on this blog of a Hatfield descendant sharing some oral family history as compared to the mini-series.

Some good details, including Johnse was not in love, he was a player! She's answering questions in the comment sections as well.

Last edited by tlc : 06-01-2012 at 07:34 PM.
tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:29 PM   #139
mattack

Quote:
Interesting, searching netflix (to rate the miniseries), I found a 1974 documentary (with a Biography icon.. guess they bought the rights to air the show), called "Hatfields & McCoys: An American Feud". It's 50 minutes (so presumably aired in an hour long timeslot back then.. fewer commercials, ya know).

There's also ANOTHER 2012 Hatfields movie
http://dvd.netflix.com/Movie/Hatfiel...l&trkid=222336
but it's only 90 minutes long.. Christian Slater is the big name.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #140
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfs View Post
Is this being reshown or available by any electronic / ondemand means (other than torrents)?
You can also watch it directly off the History Channel site:

http://www.history.com/shows/hatfiel...-mccoys-part-1

The History Channel Store is selling both DVDs and Blu-rays of it for those who have to have physical media. I could swear I saw History Channel mentioning its availability on iTunes and Amazon on Demand but for some reason neither have it.

Last edited by RonDawg : 06-01-2012 at 11:18 PM.
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:25 AM   #141
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc View Post
Stumbled on this blog of a Hatfield descendant sharing some oral family history as compared to the mini-series.

Some good details, including Johnse was not in love, he was a player! She's answering questions in the comment sections as well.
That is a great blog, thanks for sharing!

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:22 AM   #142
nirisahn

Amazon has the dvd and blu-ray. I didn't see a digital version of any kind, not even to buy or rent via download let alone streaming.
nirisahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #143
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
I quite enjoyed this miniseries.

The amount of family members each side was able to bring to the feud is totally foreign to me.

Before watching I did not know the two families were based in different states.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:21 PM   #144
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Good stuff. I ended up siding with the Hatfields in a large way.

So where did Randall get the money to fund his side of the feud?
uncdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:24 PM   #145
purwater
I make tasty water

I found myself thinking the whole time that the Hatfields didn't want a feud (other than Jim) and the McCoys always seemed to be trying to start something. Perry Cline seemed to be stirring the pot most of the time. Not sure how accurate the history was for the miniseries.
purwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:54 PM   #146
2004raptor

Just finished it tonight. Pretty good. The closer to the end it got the more I wanted it to last longer.
2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:44 AM   #147
mike_k

TC CLUB MEMBER
Watching part 1. I just can't figure out why Costner thinks that he can play the part of a 25 year old.
mike_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:06 AM   #148
stujac

Quote:
Originally Posted by purwater View Post
I found myself thinking the whole time that the Hatfields didn't want a feud (other than Jim) and the McCoys always seemed to be trying to start something. Perry Cline seemed to be stirring the pot most of the time. Not sure how accurate the history was for the miniseries.
I agree. I definitely came down on the side of the Hatfields. It was telling to see McCoy run out the back door and allow the possibility of his entire family being burned out while he ran away. Religion was his crutch. I loved that Devil wasn't having any of it.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:26 AM   #149
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stujac View Post
I agree. I definitely came down on the side of the Hatfields. It was telling to see McCoy run out the back door and allow the possibility of his entire family being burned out while he ran away. Religion was his crutch. I loved that Devil wasn't having any of it.
It is a bit ironic that you use the Hatfields burning and shooting women and children to death as an example of why you prefer them to the McCoys...

I think the McCoys were monsters to begin with, and the Hatfields turned into even bigger monsters.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #150
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

I think there is more than enough blame to go around on both sides.
I don't see anyone being right anywhere, just buttloads of unnecessary tragedy and suffering.