TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-26-2012, 06:09 PM   #31
LordKronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queue View Post
Japan has a tv show to find the next American Ninja!?
The japanese show is called Sasuke (pronounced soss-kay), and it's been running for 27 seasons (14 years). I'm not sure what the translation for Sasuke is, but it's been referred to as Ninja Warrior, and it has been aired in many countries. About 5 years or so ago, the show began letting a team of americans compete (before that individual americans were allowed to apply and qualify for the show). In america, they aired a show called American Ninja Warrior that was all about the selection process of this team of americans. The finale of each season was the americans going to japan to compete on the Sasuke show.
LordKronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:56 PM   #32
mattack

(I watched it almost completely at 1.5x, even the competition.. usually when I use that on reality shows, I watch the 'main parts' at normal speed.. e.g. on America's Got Talent, until an act gets boring, I watch it at normal speed.. then watch the rest + judging + filler at 1.5x.)

But even with that semi-backhanded compliment, this was entertaining. The salmon ladder.. wow. I don't quite get how they go forward on the rings right after that, though? Are people just sliding themselves forward?

I've liked Wipeout, but wished it had actually finishable stunts. One of the guys on the Engadget HD podcast called this something like "Wipeout with real athletes". I don't think that's QUITE an accurate description, but it's not 100% wrong.

The "go straight up the 15 foot wall" one is pretty unfair though. I can't imagine ANYONE short, despite how in shape they are, being able to do that.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:49 AM   #33
NatasNJ
Bone marrow lover!

This upcoming week "Northeast Regional" one of the contestants is a former ANW contestant that opened up a Parkour gym in my area and I trained with him. Chris Wilizeski (I think I spelled that wrong) Anyway. He started posting pics of him running the course on his facebook from the event. Hopefully he makes it to Vegas. Based on his skills last year he should be a LOCK.
NatasNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:22 AM   #34
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
But even with that semi-backhanded compliment, this was entertaining. The salmon ladder.. wow. I don't quite get how they go forward on the rings right after that, though? Are people just sliding themselves forward?
Speaking of the salmon ladder, they're building one at my Crossfit gym. Can't wait to fail at it!

Approaching the rings, they're sliding themselves forward, but it catches on the bends in the bars. At that point they either just hang there and use their strength to lift the left hand over the bump, or start bouncing up & down to bounce up and over. I've noticed the more successful people have been doing it as a combination of strength and momentum (never let yourself completely get caught on a bend). Remember the one IT guy? He lost his momentum and was hanging there for a good minute and a half, trying to get over the last hump.

Quote:
I've liked Wipeout, but wished it had actually finishable stunts. One of the guys on the Engadget HD podcast called this something like "Wipeout with real athletes". I don't think that's QUITE an accurate description, but it's not 100% wrong.
Wipeout is more cartoony, silly obstacles, and the silliness makes them impossible to pass.

Quote:
The "go straight up the 15 foot wall" one is pretty unfair though. I can't imagine ANYONE short, despite how in shape they are, being able to do that.
Again, it's momentum. Watch the guys who are successful at it closely vs. the guys who miss. Typically when they miss, their momentum isn't as great and they more or less try to jump from where they lose it to the top of the wall. Taller guys have the advantage after losing momentum, but if you never lose it, height isn't a factor.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:12 PM   #35
TheMerk
Always Bid First

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance
Again, it's momentum. Watch the guys who are successful at it closely vs. the guys who miss. Typically when they miss, their momentum isn't as great and they more or less try to jump from where they lose it to the top of the wall. Taller guys have the advantage after losing momentum, but if you never lose it, height isn't a factor.
True. Frosti wasn't very tall and he got passed the warped wall.

/
/
/

TheMerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #36
omnibus
cowboy, yee-ha

Yesterday, sunday 7/9, G4 broadcast 3 straight hours all of the 1st section of the finals course. According to my Dish network EPG there's more scheduled for this week but all reruns of qualifying rounds and none of the last 3 sections of the finals. WTF!!!!
Old 07-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #37
NatasNJ
Bone marrow lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnibus View Post
Yesterday, sunday 7/9, G4 broadcast 3 straight hours all of the 1st section of the finals course. According to my Dish network EPG there's more scheduled for this week but all reruns of qualifying rounds and none of the last 3 sections of the finals. WTF!!!!
These should be last 3 airings.

7/23/12 (Mo.) 8:00 PM NBC (#416-120) FINALS
7/16/12 (Mo.) 9:00 PM NBC (#415-60) FINALS
7/9/12 (Mo.) 9:00 PM NBC (#414-60) FINALS
NatasNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #38
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMerk View Post
True. Frosti wasn't very tall and he got passed the warped wall.
Yeah, I guess I was wrong. IIRC, one 5 foot 4 guy, maybe Frosti, made it.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote