TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: Poll: Your Home Network
Ethernet 160 78.05%
Powerline 19 9.27%
MoCA 37 18.05%
HomePNA 0 0%
Wireless 126 61.46%
None or Dial-up 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 05-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
Beryl

Poll: Home Network

My home network is Powerline based:

Xfinity Cable Internet (up to 40 Mbps)
Netgear 200 Mbps Powerline AV with four adapters
Two 4-port switches (office & family room)
4-port Asus Wireless N router
~20 internet devices including Tivos, Slingplayer, Vulkano, several multimedia devices, game console, Skype phones, cameras, desktop, laptops, printers, tablets and smartphones

Although my Powerline works well (~ 25Mb/s down & 6.5Mb/s up), I thinking about turning my desktop into a real server and optimize the throughput by upgrading to a 500 Mbps Powerline system, wait for a 1Gbps one, or scrap it for another similarly low-cost option. I don't foresee running Ethernet.

Please vote and describe your configuration in a post (e.g. DSL, Cable, Wireless Broadband). I'd like to learn from what others have done.

(If there is an existing poll on this topic, please let me know -- a search didn't yield anything close in the last 5 years.)
Old 05-25-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
fyodor

MoCA is the way to go. 80-90 megabits/s transfers between premieres with almost no configuration necessary. Do a search and you'll see that virtually everyone has gotten similar results.
fyodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
dsa1971

moca
dsa1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:24 PM   #4
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

I can't say enough good things about MoCa.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:34 PM   #5
aaronwt
HD Addict

My network uses Gigabit Ethernet, MoCA, and wireless with five Access Points(two 5GHz N, two 2.4 Ghz N, and one b/g)
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 05-25-2012 at 11:55 PM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:47 PM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Mostly ethernet here. Just a PC and 3 Tivos connected, one of them utilizing a TiVo wireless N adapter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:06 AM   #7
Series3Sub

Ethernet provides a really robust transfer among Series 3's and 4. Ethernet for the entire house for all PC's and other devices means, no problems.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:34 AM   #8
bazadata

Smile I didn't understand the question

Fiber optics supply me with light beams from underground. It's a good system.
bazadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:46 AM   #9
atmuscarella

I checked Ethernet and Wireless and use Ethernet where ever possible. I currently have about 15 things using Ethernet and 3 using wireless.

I have Frontier DSL which provides 5-6 Mbps.

I currently have 3 routers in use, the one provided from Frontier which is a SpeedStream combined modem/router/wireless. I don't use the wireless on it as I don't use any wireless devices near it. I do have 2 other routers providing wireless an old D-Link connected to an external antenna broadcasting wirelessly to an out building that we a computer in. The second is a SMC used as a wireless bridge in the opposite end of the house as the SpeedStream. I use a tablet and Internet Radio with it.

Thanks,
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:19 AM   #10
mr.unnatural

Hard-wired gigabit ethernet. Gigabit router connected to the WAN with an Actiontek wireless router connected to the LAN side for my FIOS boxes along with a 24-port managed gigabit switch feeding every room in the house with multiple connections. I currently only have one FIOS box in the house that requires guide data, hence the need for the Actiontek router. I don't use wireless for streaming, but we have several laptops and it's more convenient for surfing the web with them if they're not tethered to a hard-wired connection.

All other rooms are served by their own standalone HTPC and an unRAID server containing about 15TB of Blu-Ray movies and DVDs as well as numerous TV shows in mkv format. Total capacity of the server is over 20TB with plans for additional expansion. The standalone PCs all share a HDHomeRun Prime triple cablecard tuner and a standard dual tuner HDHomeRun for ATSC broadcasts. My primary HTPC also has an InfiniTV 4 quad cablecard tuner and two dual-tuner Hauppauge 2250 PCI-e ATSC/QAM tuners. My sole remaining active Tivo was decommissioned about two months ago and we haven't missed it one bit.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:05 AM   #11
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

I have Comcast HSI and tortise-slow Verizon DSL with a combo of gigabit ethernet and dual band wireless N.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:57 AM   #12
shaown

For my 1100 sq ftt, two floor apt (brick and metal walls - WiFi nightmare). I have 30 mb Cable coming into a current Gen Time Capsule (feeding Tivo, Apple TV, Blu-Ray), feeding my living room with ethernet and dual band WiFi N. Gigabit Ethernet upstairs through the wall to the Master bedroom feeding my PC, Printer, etc off a gigabit dlink hub. Ethernet Run to my TV still in my Mstr Bedroom, which has an Airport Extreme for better signal upstairs and Feeds my Tivo upstairs. Finally, Moca Run from the Master Bedroom to my Office - Feed the Tivos in there and provided ethernet for any PCs there.
3 S2DT, 1 Phillips S1, 1 HR10-250 HDTivo, 1 S1 DTivo, 3 S2 DTivos, 1 THD 1Tb
shaown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:28 PM   #13
WestTx

I recently installed the 500Mbps Netgear XAVB5001 adapters and see about ~70Mbps so I would expect you to see about double your current throughput although little, if any, of the gain will be seen on Tivo xfers. My Netflix use shows full strength HD signal and, after only a couple of movies, I've seen no lag or dropouts.

I typically see ~11Mbps xfers from Tivo to PC on both wireless and powerline xfers. I see ~16-18Mbps Tivo-to-Tivo xfers.
And, the Premiere typically tops out at ~26Mbps. And, as has been reported in other threads on the subject, if I edit a show (e.g. using VRD to cut commercials) the transfer rates of those mpegs drop significantly.

I have not attempted MoCA because I currently have a cable amp installed right smack in the middle of the installation and I really don't try to move any media that would benefit.

I'm in a 10-year old house so I suspect the wiring is as good as can be expected and my equipment is:
Linksys 54G router
2 wirelessly connected TivoHDs
1 powerline connected TivoHD
1 wired Premiere
Cable provided internet service with 10M down and 600K up.

Les
dead Tivo Series 2 w/Lifetime
WestTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:56 PM   #14
Beryl

In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have allowed multiple selections in this poll because nearly everyone with Internet has some Ethernet connections thereby inflating the Ethernet results. 4 of my 20 devices are on Ethernet. All additional "wired" connections are Powerline so I didn't select Ethernet.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #15
lrhorer

All three switches in the house are Gigabit Ethernet. The main switch is a TRENDnet 24 port managed switch. The satellite switches are 5 port unmanaged switches at TV locations where I need 2 or more drops. The TiVos, of course, only link up at 100M, but throughput on the network often exceeds 3000 Mbps, sometimes peaking at about 4200 Mbps.

The firewall is a Motorola SBG6580 Wireless Cable Gateway. It is a combination DOCIS 3.0 modem and wireless router. There are no permanent wireless clients, but I do have a laptop that is turned on from time to time and a Kindle. The Kindle and other "alien" devices can attach to an unsecured public VLAN created by the router. That VLAN is blind to the traffic on the LAN, including the laptop.

Only the TiVos, my Vonage ATA, and the SBG6580 are limited to 100M. The aggregate traffic to and from the three TiVos has occasionally topped 180 Mbps.

The house has 10 rooms and 4500 sq ft, excluding the garage.

Last edited by lrhorer : 05-26-2012 at 10:24 PM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:19 PM   #16
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have allowed multiple selections in this poll because nearly everyone with Internet has some Ethernet connections thereby inflating the Ethernet results.
I doubt it. As a telecommunications engineer, I don't recommend anything but Ethernet. (My company won't even sell any native LAN services other than Ethernet, OC-N, and FibreChannel, with Ethernet outselling the other two by more than 50:1.) Since solutions other than Ethernet and 802.11x tend to be more expensive, it is hardly surprising the results are what is seen in the poll.

Nothing (in the consumer world) has the security, reliability, or speed of a wired Ethernet connection. The outright cost of wired Ethernet is usually lower than any medium except in some cases wireless, and the cost per unit bandwidth just makes the others look perfectly silly. Very affordable 1000BaseTx networks can easily achieve a real world throughput well over 10,000 Mbps. The very best wireless networks can aspire to 200 Mbps. In ideal conditions, MoCA can manage an aggregate maximum 800 Mbps and is limited to 16 nodes, if my information is current.

A major advantage of MoCA for a DVR is the infrastructure (i.e. 75 Ohm coax) probably already exists. In my case, while this is true of my 3 TiVos, it is not true of the bulk of the workstations in the house. Of course, I could have pulled coax to those locations as easily as Cat5, and for only a little more expense, but the other limitations would still have applied, including the cost of the MoCA bridges.

I definitely never recommend wireless unless it is absolutely necessary. Indeed, my sister-in-law called me today having trouble with her wireless link to my sister's house. We spent nearly two hours getting her link back up from 0 to more than 24 Mbps, and she has a high quality pair of high powered APs with high gain antennas providing the link, with no sources of interference for miles. Wireless is just not reliable, and it is very slow, especially when one has numerous clients. (Which is not the case for my SIL, though.)

Last edited by lrhorer : 05-26-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:45 PM   #17
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
The outright cost of wired Ethernet is usually lower than any medium except in some cases wireless, and the cost per unit bandwidth just makes the others look perfectly silly.
That's not true in many cases. The cost and labor running ethernet cable throughout the house can be expensive and a hassle. Most people already have Coax cable running through the walls making MoCa a much more viable solution.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #18
Beryl

Quote:
The outright cost of wired Ethernet is usually lower than any medium except in some cases wireless, and the cost per unit bandwidth just makes the others look perfectly silly. Very affordable 1000BaseTx networks can easily achieve a real world throughput well over 10,000 Mbps.
Ethernet can be installed in 3 rooms for about $200? The last time I asked about it, I was given a quote that exceeded $2000! If this is the case, I can increase my Ethernet use by over 50%.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:59 PM   #19
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
Ethernet can be installed in 3 rooms for about $200? The last time I asked about it, I was given a quote that exceeded $2000! If this is the case, I can increase my Ethernet use by over 50%.
The installer I hired charged me $35 a drop x 12 drops. The price, of course, will vary with the house construction. $2000 is absolutely ridiculous for drops run to 3 rooms no matter what sort of house you have. Most modern (post 1960) houses have hollow, uninsulated interior walls and easy access to the interior walls from an attic or from under the house, or both. If access to outer walls is necessary and the owner insists no external visibility, it can be more difficult, and many older homes had fire-breaks even in interior walls. These can make running cables much more difficult, but not $700 difficult. A Diversibit can easily penetrate fire breaks, and while getting to an exterior wall may require lying on one's belly, it should not be that difficult for anyone who is relatively young and agile. If the walls are brick, it provides more of a challenge, but even then, $700 a drop is absurd.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:20 PM   #20
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
That's not true in many cases. The cost and labor running ethernet cable throughout the house can be expensive and a hassle. Most people already have Coax cable running through the walls
In most cases, if coax is already running to the location, then re-pulling coax + cat5 is not very difficult. If the coax drops are run on the exterior, then running a cat5 beside it is not at all difficult.

It's not free, of course, but in most cases the hassle is minimal. Now, wireless is a little different matter. There are some cases where wireless is practical while running any sort of cable presents major issues, but if the coax has already been put in place, it usually means running cat5 behind it will not present a big headache. There are of course, exceptions, and the easiest thing is to run both coax and cat5 whenever one is first running the cable. In a brand new house, I recommend telecom conduits with pull strings. If one can afford it, fiber is a great idea, but that gets expensive in a hurry (for a house).

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
making MoCa a much more viable solution.
It's only a viable solution if one is willing to live with its drawbacks and the installation of cat5 is prohibitively expensive. With MoCA bridges running $70 - $200 each, and a new Cat5 run usually costing about the same or less, it's no huge decision to go with Ethernet, especially since the $70 adapters are usually only capable of a total of 175 Mbps, while Cat5e drops are easily capable of N x 1000 Mbps, where N is the number of drops. Note if one runs Cat6, it will be capable of N x 10,000 Mbps. Ten G copper interfaces are just starting to become available, and are still very expensive, but in 5 - 10 years I expect them to be nearly as cheap as 1G interfaces are today.

There is a reason (several, actually) why Ethernet devices abandoned coax interfaces years ago.

Last edited by lrhorer : 05-26-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:30 AM   #21
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I definitely never recommend wireless unless it is absolutely necessary. Indeed, my sister-in-law called me today having trouble with her wireless link to my sister's house. We spent nearly two hours getting her link back up from 0 to more than 24 Mbps, and she has a high quality pair of high powered APs with high gain antennas providing the link, with no sources of interference for miles. Wireless is just not reliable, and it is very slow, especially when one has numerous clients. (Which is not the case for my SIL, though.)
That's why you need multiple Access points to provide plenty of coverage and bandwidth to make sure it is not over saturated. I have five Access Points now in my 1350ft condo. So I can get maximum throughput from my wireless devices by not having any AP saturated.

If I were in a house I would have even more APs to provide the proper coverage. Most people only use one or two APs in their houses which causes many problems since signal strength will be low in certain areas as well as the APs being way oversaturated with too many wireless devices for the one or two APs.

IN my setup I can connect a TiVo to a wireless Bridge and get identical performance to when it is connected to MoCA or to my GigE backbone. But this is only because I have the bandwidth available over Wi-Fi
Old 05-27-2012, 06:55 AM   #22
Chris Gerhard

Problem free wireless here even though I would of course prefer ethernet be wired throughout the house but that isn't going to happen. My most demanding use is Vudu at around 5Mbps and it works at all locations it is set up. Transfers between TiVos works well enough when needed and I have about 20 devices on my network.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #23
classicsat
Astute User

bazadata: The question is the home network, as in how the various devices in your home get their Internet/network connections and share data/content/resources amongst themselves, not how your home gets its Internet.

My home network is mostly wired Cat5e Ethernet (the basement is open, and I have an accessible chase to the upstairs). For now, only my netbook computer uses wireless. For network equipment, I have a basic wireless router, plus an Ethernet switch, all 10/100. I have three desktop PCs, one TiVo, and an Xbox 360 connected to the wired network.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #24
mr.unnatural

It cost me nothing to install ethernet in my home other than the cost of the wiring, wall plates, and keystone jacks and whatever time I needed to invest in the installation. CAT6 patch cables from monoprice.com are dirt cheap, as are CAT6 keystone jacks and wall plates. You may even be able to beat monoprice's cost if you search the net. I have a patch bay in my wiring closet (also from monoprice) that uses keystone jacks as well. You'll need to purchase a decent punch block tool for terminating the wiring at each end and it's well worth the investment.

Get a 1000' roll of CAT6 ethernet riser cable online for a whole house job. If you've only got a few rooms to serve then look on ebay for partial rolls. Contractors sell leftover cable for a fraction of the original cost of a full roll. They buy the cable in bulk, charge the customer an inflated rate for the amount of cable they use, and sell the leftover cable cheap. I've purchased rolls of 300'-500' of ethernet cable for a lower cost per foot than if I had bought an entire 1000' roll.

There's no need to pay anyone to run ethernet wiring throughout your house unless you're either too darn lazy, completely inept, or have lots of disposable income, in which case you're got no cause to bitch about the cost. Find a central point where you can run wires between floors if you live in a multi-story dwelling and run wires from a central location to each room.

If you're in a condo or an apartment then that's another ballgame altogether. You'll have to work with your landlord or condo association to run any additional wiring.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:37 AM   #25
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
My network uses Gigabit Ethernet, MoCA, and wireless with five Access Points(two 5GHz N, two 2.4 Ghz N, and one b/g)
I might need to get a AP to help with congestion on my dlink 615, when my nephew brings in his clan in to use my 20MB connectiion. He is going to Collage this fall in town for 1-2 yrs, in dorms but I'm sure he will be here to do laundry and what not. He had a GPA of 3.6 while taking 2 AP courses.

I came so close to buying one in the past.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:10 PM   #26
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon WIlkinson View Post
I might need to get a AP to help with congestion on my dlink 615, when my nephew brings in his clan in to use my 20MB connectiion. He is going to Collage this fall in town for 1-2 yrs, in dorms but I'm sure he will be here to do laundry and what not. He had a GPA of 3.6 while taking 2 AP courses.

I came so close to buying one in the past.
Yes the Dlink 615 can only handle so much wireless traffic. I setup one at my girlfriends house.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #27
Jonathan_S

My home network is primarily hardwired ethernet (100mbit; haven't upgraded the switches for gigE).
Desktop, game console, printer, tivo all wired but I do have an AirPort Express to provide wireless to the laptop and mobiles devices. It also allows me to stream itunes or airplay to my receiver (Toslink).

Internet is FIOS; with an old PC acting as a fw/router