TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
kcarlile

Using an old Series2 with FiOS and digital converter box

I have an original Series2 (ie, the 60 GB one) with a lifetime. Finally picked up a new Premiere XL, which works great with my FiOS cable card and my HDTV. However, I don't really need/want to pay $10/month for a full on set top box for my SD TV/Tivo S2 combo.

So I bought an iView 2000STB QAM digital tuner box from Amazon ($35). I've confirmed that it can in fact tune the OTA equivalent channels from FiOS, which is great, but I am having trouble making it work with the TiVo. Naturally, of course, the channel changing is the sticking point.

iView is not listed under cable box, of course, being a cheapo box. I also couldn't find it on the OTA section of guided setup, although I got some vague response out of it using different models of STB in the listing (ie, I got it to try to change the channel, but then it powered off the box!). I was partway through the OTA list when the TiVo crashed and I had to start over again.

So I'm not sure whether to tell the TiVo I've got cable or OTA when I'm using this box. Anyone tried this sort of thing? Any tips on the IR code thing? I haven't been able to find anything on iView's website (surprise).

Thanks,
Ken
kcarlile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Most digital converter boxes on sale are for OTA only.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:28 PM   #3
shwru980r

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarlile View Post
I have an original Series2 (ie, the 60 GB one) with a lifetime. Finally picked up a new Premiere XL, which works great with my FiOS cable card and my HDTV. However, I don't really need/want to pay $10/month for a full on set top box for my SD TV/Tivo S2 combo.

So I bought an iView 2000STB QAM digital tuner box from Amazon ($35). I've confirmed that it can in fact tune the OTA equivalent channels from FiOS, which is great, but I am having trouble making it work with the TiVo. Naturally, of course, the channel changing is the sticking point.

iView is not listed under cable box, of course, being a cheapo box. I also couldn't find it on the OTA section of guided setup, although I got some vague response out of it using different models of STB in the listing (ie, I got it to try to change the channel, but then it powered off the box!). I was partway through the OTA list when the TiVo crashed and I had to start over again.

So I'm not sure whether to tell the TiVo I've got cable or OTA when I'm using this box. Anyone tried this sort of thing? Any tips on the IR code thing? I haven't been able to find anything on iView's website (surprise).

Thanks,
Ken
If the QAM channel numbers match the OTA channel numbers then I think you should run guided set up for OTA. If they don't match OTA, then you're probably not going to be able to get guide information on the S2. I don't think an S2 will tune to a channel that isn't in the guide information, so I don't think you could even do manual recordings and have the Tivo change the channel.

You'll have to get through guided set up once and then you can change the model of converter box without running guided set up again. Hopefully you can find one that has the same remote codes as the QAM box.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:29 PM   #4
kcarlile

I was having enough trouble with the box that I ultimately decided to return it. Never could find a code, the box was slow as all get out, and it finally started putting a black box over half my TV. Something CC related, but I didn't feel like messing with it. Enough already... now I know to get rid of that $10/month charge, I'll have to pay more money.
kcarlile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

FWIW, I can attest that the S2 can control both Fios' "Digital Adapter" ($4/mo.), and the SD STB ($6/mo.).

Thanks for pointing out the existence of the iView 2000STB.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
rquist

Series 2 capabilities with FioS

Can the series 2 record 1 channel while watching another when using the set top box or the digital adapter?

Thanks
rquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by rquist View Post
Can the series 2 record 1 channel while watching another when using the set top box or the digital adapter?

Thanks
With FiOS? no
assuming you have an S2 DT that is, Verizon offers no analog channels, they're all digital (at least in my experiences)
Old 05-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #8
rquist

Thanks.
rquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
shwru980r

If you've got an HDTV, then you could split the cable and run cable straight to the TV and watch the unencrypted channels using the tuner on the TV while the Tivo is recording. For the adapter, I think the first 2 are provided free of charge and subsequent adapters are around $3 per month. You could just hook up a second adapter to the TV to watch live TV while the Tivo is recording.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote