TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
Donbadabon
Geocacher

The Pitch on AMC - Spoilers

Anyone check this out yet? It just started on AMC.

The basic idea is a company wants a new ad to promote something, and they have 2 ad agencies come in and give their pitch.

The episode I saw was Subway. They wanted to promote their breakfast sandwiches to the 18-24 year old demographic. So both agencies go back and come up with ideas.

It was pretty interesting to see the two agencies come up with their ideas.
And one of the men that was the manager of his group was a complete tool. One of those guys that don't give any creative feedback, but just sits in silence staring at you.

The only bad thing is they didn't show the final commercial, which I thought was kind of strange.

I added it to my SP.

Here is the official description from AMC:

AMC's new original series The Pitch offers viewers an intense, gripping, never-before-seen glimpse inside America’s top ad agencies.
Each week watch two agencies as they compete to win a new client the only way they can: by going head-to-head in a cut-throat, winner-takes-all showdown, a presentation known as The Pitch.
With only seven days to prepare, the pressure to perform is intense.
The whining, the brainstorming, the blue-sky thinking: it’s all here as the teams work around the clock and pray for the moment of inspiration that will win them the job and keep their companies alive.
The drama is real, the stakes are high, and the clock is ticking.
From the producers of Undercover Boss.
Witness the pressure…The passion…The Pitch.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

We recorded episodes 1 and 2 and only watched episode 1 (subway). I enjoyed the show and was flabbergasted by the final decision as we greatly preferred the other company's campaign proposal.

On the other hand, the show had actual subway ads running during commercial breaks and they were pretty terrible, so maybe it makes sense...
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
Donbadabon
Geocacher

I agree, I would've chosen the other (losing) concept and then had them refine it.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
nyny523
Oy

I watched both episodes.

In both cases, I would have gone with the losing campaigns.

Interesting show, though.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #5
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

I believe they also have it on Netflix if you missed an episode or 2.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
pmyers

I'll check it out.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #7
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post
In both cases, I would have gone with the losing campaigns.
I agree with you.

Spoiler:
I really liked the 'Trash Can' idea, but I think if they had done something as simple as putting dots in between the words, like 'Trash...Can' or putting the word 'Can' in a box like they showed earlier, that might've helped. But I guess the winning team won because of their phone idea with the mouths.
For Subway, the winning team really didn't have to do any work. They just went out and found someone already getting hits and used them.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #8
Zevida
witless and unarmed

I work in marketing and I've worked at a digital agency and I like the show. I liked the second episode better than the first.

First episode:
Spoiler:
I thought the "breakfast zombie" idea was best, but their execution was poor. I do not think zAMbie works as a reference for zombie and the obnoxious chick-fil-a like diction didn't make sense. I would have selected them but refined it quite a bit.

Oops, I thought this was the second episode, but it is actually the third one.

Third episode:
Spoiler:
I agreed with their choice here, I liked the "help" idea. Again, it needed some refinement, but it was a great start. The losing agency rubbed me the wrong way by going down the path of a single brand when told explicitly not to. The money truck idea was terrible. You do not want to show people breaking their own stuff. The superhero idea was better, but the negative of the money truck dragged them down overall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:25 PM   #9
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
Third episode:
Spoiler:
I agreed with their choice here, I liked the "help" idea. Again, it needed some refinement, but it was a great start. The losing agency rubbed me the wrong way by going down the path of a single brand when told explicitly not to. The money truck idea was terrible. You do not want to show people breaking their own stuff. The superhero idea was better, but the negative of the money truck dragged them down overall.
Spoiler:
I hated the "Real American Heroes" idea. The over-the-top use of military-style imagery is already done to death in the home improvement sector, there was no wow factor there, and it felt very cookie cutter.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #10
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Third episode:

Spoiler:
I finally chose the winning team. The woman breaking the toilet was just dumb. And the 'Heroes' theme was just dumb. Someone coming in to fix your drain isn't keeping America's economy afloat.
Finally the losing team just seemed smarmy to me. They annoyed me from the minute I saw them.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #11
Swirl_Junkie

I like this show, but would have chosen the losing team in almost every match so far. Did anyone else find the cinematography a cut above most other things like this? They really make it more dramatic, with the angles and interesting shots they take.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #12
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Would anybody mind if we turned this into a spoilers thread? I don't think there's enough interest for episode threads. I can PM a mod and ask them to add spoilers to the title.

I agree that the show itself seems to be well done cinematicly. It is a cut above other reality competition shows that do the rehash before and after every commercial break. It comes off as very professional. I like it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Old 05-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #13
Donbadabon
Geocacher

I don't mind, go for it.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #14
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I've not seen episode 3 but so far I would have picked the losing teams. Especially in episode 2 because of the additional factors beyond the actual quality of their pitch.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #15
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Spoilers added to the title - thanks anonymous mod who did that!

Hopefully they will rerun episode 2. I'm very interested to watch since everyone liked the lose better. I'll have to duck out of the thread until they show it.

- billypritchard
Old 05-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #16
Mikeyis4dcats

I preferred the Trash Can. campaign for Waste Management, however a couple of things that lead to them losing based on a blog I read. WM specifically told the teams (but it was not shown) that they HATE the term trash. Secondly, the campaign was supposed to be primarily social media. The Ad Store did not target that market at all (and if you look at their twitter, you'd understand why - they tweet about once a month on average). They are dinosaurs amongst cave men.
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #17
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Most recent episode - Frangelico

I thought that the winner did a better job of hitting the goals of the brief, but I still wasn't all that impressed with the campaign. I would have liked to see more creative from them, especially around the bottle and branding. OTOH, that's hard to do in six days.

The losing team that had the idea for stories, their "sweet spot" idea was pretty weak, so I agreed they needed to ditch it, but I don't think that the all-women agency had any better idea. The stories just didn't refresh the brand as much as they wanted. The idea to make the bottle clear was great, though.

Episode before - Pop Chips

I thought both agencies here were weak

One agency went in and threw a ton of ill-formed ideas up against the wall. I think they were critically disabled when their key strategy guy had his gall bladder removed during the project. The creative guys were just out of control with the most random crap. There was no cohesive strategy.

The agency that won annoyed me because I thought the idea was stupid. You don't have the "Greatest Viral Video Ever" just because you say you do. The head guy claimed the idea as his own even though his original idea was the worst and his worker bees cobbled it together into something halfway decent. I didn't like this idea either, but at least it was a total strategic idea, not a bunch of random stunts.

- billypritchard
Old 05-22-2012, 04:17 PM   #18
Donbadabon
Geocacher

I agree, in the Pop Chips episode, poor Greg. It appears the weight on the business lies on his shoulders. He gets taken out by a medical emergency and the rest of them just sit there looking at each other, wondering when Greg is coming back.

He needs a raise.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #19
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
I agree, in the Pop Chips episode, poor Greg. It appears the weight on the business lies on his shoulders. He gets taken out by a medical emergency and the rest of them just sit there looking at each other, wondering when Greg is coming back.

He needs a raise.
And a partnership.

And a corner office.

If I am Greg watching this episode, I am demanding everything but the kitchen sink!
Old 05-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #20
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyis4dcats View Post
I preferred the Trash Can. campaign for Waste Management, however a couple of things that lead to them losing based on a blog I read. WM specifically told the teams (but it was not shown) that they HATE the term trash. Secondly, the campaign was supposed to be primarily social media. The Ad Store did not target that market at all (and if you look at their twitter, you'd understand why - they tweet about once a month on average). They are dinosaurs amongst cave men.
Finally watched the first EP with Waste Management and I would agree with this synopsis of both this project and my impression of The Ad Store: that they are one dimintional and are out of touch with today's media.

I liked the Trash Can idea better but the other team had much better execution and a finger on the pulse of current media that the other team didn't.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #21
Zevida
witless and unarmed

That's still the only one I haven't seen yet!

I thought you must be mistaken about The Ad Store, because I knew it was in one I'd seen. I guess they did two episodes, as they were in Frangelico and in the Waste Management episode.

- billypritchard
Old 05-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #22
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Frangelico - Maybe it was editing, but Kovel/Fuller seemed to take it much more serious than The Ad Store, which, btw to me is the worst name ever if you want someone to take you seriously. It reminds me of The Room Store (You can put it all together, to save you more, at The Room Store).

The Ad Store had a good point about the shape of the bottle, but I think Kovel/Fuller, instead of complaining about the shape, had the right idea where they incorporated that shape into a keyhole for the print ad.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #23
pmyers

So I think I'm 4 episodes in and am loving it.

My only complaint is the overuse of "Viral"....but I guess that's probably a big issue in advertising. I don't consider commercials to be viral.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #24
Zevida
witless and unarmed

The most recent episode was pretty good. I think that JDRF did a pretty terrible job in rebranding because I had no idea what they are - but as soon as they said they used to be Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation I knew exactly who they were. Rebrading agency fail.

I thought the "One Less Prick" idea was definitely edgier and more interesting. But, it also probably would have only appealed to a younger demo and would have the potential to draw complaints from older generations. If the brief had been specifically to target 18-24 demo, it would have been perfect.

The "Be the voice of one" was bland and generic - so exactly what they wanted! Broad appeal. I didn't think it was anything special. I did not get the laughs at the end of the spoken rally cry, though, why are they laughing? I didn't think that worked.

You could definitely see the strength of each agency shine through. Muse has typically been highly-targeted and minority focused came up with an edgy campaign that would play well to one demo. The other agency is used to doing broad campaigns that appeal more on a mass scale and that's what they came through with. I don't think Muse had much of a chance at this one.

- billypritchard
Old 05-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #25
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I hate that the companies coming in with multiple pitches keep winning. It's called "the pitch" and not "the pitches." Sure, it probably works that way normally, but it feels like cheating to me in the context of the reality show.

On the plus side, I have a slightly increased interest in JDRF, whereas I am less likely than ever to drink frangelico by itself.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #26
Donbadabon
Geocacher

JDRF - I couldn't stand Scott from Bozell. I've worked with guys like him, and they have this 'role' they play where they are the negative nancy's, and they make sure everyone knows that's just who they are. So annoying. He couldn't even stop pouting during the pitch.

I agree, 'One less prick' was very edgy, and very targeted. It would be similar to saying 'Give diabetes the finger'. The message is there, but the negative connotation can override that message.

I liked the T.O.D. idea when they came up with it, but at the presentation they lost me. They just didn't go a good job selling it. It seemed rushed.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:48 PM   #27
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
I liked the T.O.D. idea when they came up with it, but at the presentation they lost me. They just didn't go a good job selling it. It seemed rushed.
I liked TOD too. The way it was edited, they made it seem like they were not getting a positive reception to TOD so they moved quickly to second idea. I'm not sure if that is true to what happened, or editing.

Having multiple ideas to present seems pretty true to advertising and pitches. I don't have a problem with that.

- billypritchard
Old 05-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #28
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

The TOD campaign was ok; the t-shirt was poorly designed because it was easy to miss the "don't" and most people would do just that from a distance.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #29
mattack

Even though I hate "regular" advertising (that's why I have Tivos and had VCRs before that), and this show is effectively product placement.. it's still entertaining.. I only watched the Subway one so far.

(People claim Undercover Boss is essentially product placement too.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:01 AM   #30
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

Man, Chris Burch is a HUGE asswipe. And really, both agencies were full of them as well. I'd go insane if I had to work in a toxic environment like Womenkind, and the "redhead" on the other side and her interplay with the Jon Hamm lookalike was irritating beyond description.

Neither agency wowed me this week. Womenkind's presentation felt like an in-store branding effort rather than an ad campaign. DiGo's felt like a magical wonderland of unicorns and chocolate, and I didn't think they meshed with the brand as well as Burch apparently thought they did.