Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-26-2012, 04:52 AM   #1
coreybryant
Texan at Heart

TC CLUB MEMBER
Unable to See Media Server in Now Playing

I had to go to another Firewall since nod32 stopping checking my emails for Spam / Viruses. I chose VIPRE.

I noticed that my AutoTransfers stopped working and I could not long see the server in the Now Playing.

I was able to finally access the TiVos (Series2 and Series3) and download the programs. But that was about it.

When I open TiVo Desktop (I believe I have 2.8 version) - when I put my mouse over the TiVo Desktop, I get a rotating circle. This was happening the other day as well - but I just left the mouse over the TiVo Desktop and it finally allowed me to pick recordings. I was able to download everything.

However, when I go to the Services tab in the TiVo Desktop (and after I can finally choose this menu), I receive an error:
The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

In my services, I have TiVo Beacon listed, but nothing else. VIPRE software is running in Learning mode.

It will allow me to add ports but it also wants the name of the application (which I do not know) for these ports.

I did add C:\Program Files\TiVo\Desktop as an always allowed path.

I don't know if other services should be running - can you advise?

I have not figured out exactly how to creat a new service just yet.. I have been reading a lot of articles but they seem to just apply to servers, etc. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate (I can ask this question on another board and post that here when I get an answer).

Thank you!
Old 05-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
ggieseke

See http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/402 for a list of all the ports that need to be open.

The two "discovery" protocols that allow Desktop to see the TiVos and vice versa are Bonjour and TiVo Beacon. You have to choose one or the other (I recommend Beacon). Bonjour uses UDP port 5353 and the executable is mDNSResponder.exe in the Program Files\Bonjour directory. TiVo Beacon uses TCP and UDP on port 2190 and the executable is TiVoBeacon.exe in the Program Files\TiVo\Desktop directory.

If you just add an exception for Bonjour and every .exe file in the Desktop directory and the Plus subdirectory below it you should be OK. I've never seen a firewall that lets you exclude an entire directory at once, but I haven't played with VIPRE.

Most of those exceptions only need access to your local network, but some of them require internet access to support auto transfers. I just set them all up to have unlimited access.

You can also look at the exceptions that Desktop made to Windows Firewall when it was installed as a guide to tweaking other firewalls.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
coreybryant
Texan at Heart

TC CLUB MEMBER
I had that list for the ports, sorry I should have said that I had already looked at that KB, it just did not state what programs.

I don't use the Bonjour service - I had problems with that a few years ago - I would have to re-boot my system twice to get access to the Internet. I know they probably have updated it since, but I still don't want to use it.

I added the two ports for TiVoBeacon.

I checked the Windows Firewall - and I for the TiVo Beacon Service Properties, Windows Firewall had TCP and UDP set up with All Ports.

There were a few others listed:
TiVo Curl Service - TCP & UDP - All ports.
TiVo Desktop User Interface - TCP & UDP - All Ports.
TiVo HME Host: Port %d - TCP: 7288 - there was no program listed for this. It said It said - All Programs that meet the specified Conditions."
TiVo Diag Service - TCP & UDP - All Ports - since this says Service, should it show up in the Services MMC? I could not find it there.
TiVoServerService - TCP & UDP - All Ports. Since this says service, should it show up in the Services MMC? I could not find it there.
TiVoTransferService - TCP & UDP - All Ports. Since this says service, should it show up in the Services MMC? I could not find it there.

I'll have to find out if I need to add a starting and ending point (from VIPRE) for the ports.

The only service listed in the Services MMC was TiVoServerService. I thought there were a couple more services that were listed at some point.

When I try to access the menus in TiVo Desktop, I still have the rotating circle.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
ggieseke

I don't use Bonjour either.

The only true Windows services that Desktop uses are Bonjour and TiVo Beacon, and those are the only ones that should show up in the Services MMC. The other background processes (TiVoNotify, TiVoServer, TiVoTransfer & TranscodingService) just run without a visible window when you log on.

Have you considered using Windows Firewall instead of a 3rd-party one? In any case I'd try completely disabling VIPRE to see if that's real problem. Two programs that I know of (Xobni and Emusic download manager) can interfere with the TiVo Beacon service, usually causing it to show "Error 1359" when you try to start it.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
coreybryant
Texan at Heart

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yes, I have tried that as well - no avail.

Basically, when I go to TiVo desktop, I might be able to click on one of the menus, but then the mouse turns in a circle, not allowing me to do anything else.

I might need to re-install the program, but I am a bit fearful of this... I have all my programs stored on an external hard drive (J:\Tivo) - to make this happen, I had to map a network location.
Attached Images
File Type: png unabletostartTiVo-service.png (8.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 05-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
coreybryant
Texan at Heart

TC CLUB MEMBER
I was also asking this on another site. The individual responded that on his 64-bit machine, he had:
On my Win7 x64 machine, the TivoTransfer service is started at boot time from the
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run section of the registry, with
C:\Program Files (x86)\TiVo\Desktop\TiVoTransfer.exe

From the same section, the TivoNotify service starts with
C:\Program Files (x86)\TiVo\Desktop\TiVoNotify.exe /service /registry /auto:TivoNotify

the TivoServer service with
C:\Program Files (x86)\TiVo\Desktop\TiVoServer.exe /service /registry /auto:TivoServer

and the TranscodingService service with
C:\Program Files (x86)\TiVo\Desktop\Plus\TranscodingService.exe

in th registry. I do not have any keys relating to this. I am wondering if that could be an issue. I know I have some registry backups - I will take a look at those and see what they say
Old 05-28-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
ggieseke

Those registry entries have to be there or the software won't run, even if you run the same commands manually later.

I would also strongly recommend uninstalling it using the Remove All option, reinstall it by right-clicking the exe and run it as Administrator, and leave the default location alone. In the past, trying to install it to alternate locations or even moving the user directory to another drive has caused a lot of problems. Once it's installed and running correctly you can change the storage location for video files under File - Preferences.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
coreybryant
Texan at Heart

TC CLUB MEMBER
From my other post, I think it is the registry. I posted on another board and the user also had a 64Bit machine. I went to my other machine to take a look at the registry and found:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Run]
"TranscodingService"="C:\\Program Files\\TiVo\\Desktop\\Plus\\\\TranscodingService.exe"
"TivoServer"="C:\\Program Files\\TiVo\\Desktop\\TiVoServer.exe /service /registry /auto:TivoServer"
"TivoTransfer"="C:\\Program Files\\TiVo\\Desktop\\TiVoTransfer.exe"
"TivoNotify"="C:\\Program Files\\TiVo\\Desktop\\TiVoNotify.exe /service /registry /auto:TivoNotify"

Since these were missing, I am hoping that this will fix it. I'll check and post back
Old 05-28-2012, 11:15 AM   #9
coreybryant
Texan at Heart

TC CLUB MEMBER
I sort of cheated - I ran each of the program files from the Start - Run first to see if it worked. I can now see the TiVo Media Server on the Now Playing list.

I'll add these to the registry now and reboot. (The TiVo Desktop still has the rotating circle but hopefully that might be fixed on the reboot.)

If someone gets the chance, can you go to your Services Console (you can type Services in the Run menu or Programs - Administrative Tools - Services) and see if the TiVo Beacon Service is the only service running?

Thanks again!
Old 05-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #10
coreybryant
Texan at Heart

TC CLUB MEMBER
After the re-boot, TiVo server is working fine. It shows up in the Now Playing list on the Series2 and Series3. I can also access the TiVo Desktop software with no problems - no more "busy mouse".