TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
daveak
Series 3 Novice

Overnight HD Test Question

The TiVo has been showing this screen, "Seek time vs Distance on /dev/hda, Test Passed," for over an hour now with no changes to the screen. The test (This was the overnight test) has been ongoing for more than 12 hours now and for the first couple hours, when I checked, things were happening. I was asleep for the last 2/3s of the test.

And what are all the green dots anyway, just a graph to look at as it continually adds green dots? (It's not doing anything now).

Thank you for helping.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:29 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveak View Post
The TiVo has been showing this screen, "Seek time vs Distance on /dev/hda, Test Passed," for over an hour now with no changes to the screen. The test (This was the overnight test) has been ongoing for more than 12 hours now and for the first couple hours, when I checked, things were happening. I was asleep for the last 2/3s of the test.

And what are all the green dots anyway, just a graph to look at as it continually adds green dots? (It's not doing anything now).

Thank you for helping.
Now you know why I never let the TiVo do the hard drive testing, but pull the drive and put it in a computer and use the manufacturer's own diagnostic software.

I hate to say this, but probably better not to interrupt it 'til it's done if you want it to be able to boot.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
daveak
Series 3 Novice

I did pull the plug. It re-booted just fine.

The new 2tb drive has already shipped, I have already decided to replace it due to random freeze-ups and rebooting. However, now that I have done some testing and ran the kickstart that puts you in the GSOD (57?), the random freezing and rebooting has stopped. We are at three years with a 1tb external HD with a 3.5 year old refurbished original S3 (who knows how old the internal drive really is). I figured it was time to replace the HDs with one large single drive anyway. My only concern at this point is pulling some programming off without random rebooting.

Of course it is always possible it was not a HD causing the issue... though that should be it.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:27 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveak View Post
I did pull the plug. It re-booted just fine.

The new 2tb drive has already shipped, I have already decided to replace it due to random freeze-ups and rebooting. However, now that I have done some testing and ran the kickstart that puts you in the GSOD (57?), the random freezing and rebooting has stopped. We are at three years with a 1tb external HD with a 3.5 year old refurbished original S3 (who knows how old the internal drive really is). I figured it was time to replace the HDs with one large single drive anyway. My only concern at this point is pulling some programming off without random rebooting.

Of course it is always possible it was not a HD causing the issue... though that should be it.
You can use that 1TB drive as a middleman, use WinMFS to go from the original 160 to the 1TB as though you were setting up the 1TB to be the new internal, and specify a swap partition size of 1000 and tell it to expand.

That should get you the 1TB with a third MFS pair and no extra space at the end to keep jmfs from working.

Then you use jmfs to copy the 1TB to the 2TB and then expand by adding a single MFS partition.

That way you use the whole drive, none of the partitions are over 1.1 TB, and you know you've got enough swap space if it ever needs it to fix itself.

1GB of swap space is only like 15 minutes or less of best quality video, so it's not a huge sacrifice. Use WinMFS to supersize the 1TB before going to the 2TB and that'll probably make up the difference right there.

You can "borrow" the HD's eSATA jack to connect the external to one of your PC's internal SATA ports if you don't want to disassemble the external.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote