TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-26-2012, 10:05 PM   #361
sk33t3r

Its nto going to upgrade with the highlighted test in bootpage root=/dev/hda4 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false
HR21-200
HR20-100
DRD420re
sk33t3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:14 PM   #362
bingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk33t3r View Post
Its nto going to upgrade with the highlighted test in bootpage root=/dev/hda4 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false
Yeah, was afraid of that.

So since I think I have the slices i need is it as simple as:

bootpage -P "root=/dev/hda4 dsscon=true console=2,115200"

followed by a restart from the menus?

Should I be concerned that I can't get a test call to succeed? Is that a show stopper?

Thanks for the quick reply!
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:39 PM   #363
bingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingle View Post
Yeah, was afraid of that.

So since I think I have the slices i need is it as simple as:

bootpage -P "root=/dev/hda4 dsscon=true console=2,115200"

followed by a restart from the menus?

Should I be concerned that I can't get a test call to succeed? Is that a show stopper?

Thanks for the quick reply!
Update: With some more research I was able to force a test call and connect to the DVR service. I had to remove the routes that had been added via /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author that were effectively stopping routing to 204.176.49.2. Based on /var/log/tclient it did a bunch of work including downloading a bunch of that showcase junk that I see on my 6.4a box in the other room.

So, now it is just a matter of getting it to do the upgrade.

Hmm... Now that I've had some success, I'm getting a bit worried. This unit does have a bigger disk than it originally had. From what I can remember from years ago this particular image was constructed via the L48ADD download from PVTUpgrade and zipper. The slices I downloaded via wget from dvrupgrade.com aren't going to mess up my killhdinitrd kernel are they? I don't want to end up with the unit not seeing all of the disk!
Old 05-27-2012, 08:06 AM   #364
Pete_C

Thank-you guys for the very informative forum posts.

I am back to a stable and modded 6.4a Direct Tivo box.

Very high on the WAF.

I had forgotten most of what I had done to the box so many years ago.
Pete_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #365
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Hmm... Now that I've had some success, I'm getting a bit worried. This unit does have a bigger disk than it originally had. From what I can remember from years ago this particular image was constructed via the L48ADD download from PVTUpgrade and zipper. The slices I downloaded via wget from dvrupgrade.com aren't going to mess up my killhdinitrd kernel are they? I don't want to end up with the unit not seeing all of the disk!
I don't remember what version of the TiVo software LBA48 support first appeared with, but any series 2 box should be fine with a larger disk if you're upgrading to the latest software release (any series 1 box will need an LBA48 kernel though). If you do upgrade your software via the slices, you will lose any hacks you have with your current setup and will need to put them back into place.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:43 PM   #366
derelict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorro255 View Post
Ok I upgraded all my tivo’s to the 6.4a with cake to get my locals back. Movieloader and HME is no MRV but do not say NO to it out right. Do some testing first you can always go back to 6.2a if you don’t like Movieloader

Hope this helps you make the dissection to upgrade to 6.4a
Hi zorro,

Thanks for the post... I will consider this. Adds an extra step which I am not crazy about (looks like I need to extract any program I want to view on another tivo to a computer first in order to use movieloader). MRV is a bit more convenient.

But I may need to go this way as I found a little snag in my plans on using the 390-400 channels. Turns out NBCw is both channel 4 and channel 393 in the socal market. Channel 4 still shows up in my channel list, but is blank. But when I set shows using tivowebplus to record, they are defaulting to channel 4 and not recording due to lack of signal. I tried un-checking channel 4 from the channel list in setup, but it still shows up in the channel lineup. Anyone know how I can remove channel 4? I think that would solve my problem short term.
derelict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #367
zorro255

Quote:
Originally Posted by derelict View Post
(looks like I need to extract any program I want to view on another tivo to a computer first in order to use movieloader)
NO

Movieloader allows for TiVo to TiVo and Computer to TiVo, and TiVo to export (your watching Tivo1 and want to send a show from Tivo2 to Tivo3 you can) all need to have MFS_FTP installed and running. It's just that Movieloader needs to be running on a computer much like Tivoserver. I only backed up my shows to the computer because I was using instant cake and not the slicer to perform the upgrade. And the cake deletes all files on the hard drive.
I then sent all my shows back to the TiVo.

Movieloader has its own thread on how it works and how to run it on the other site.

Don’t forget you will lose MRV with the 6.4a upgrade but you get all your locals back.

The other downside with Movieloader you should wait for the entire show to transfer before watching it.

The upside ML allows for the deletion of shows from any TiVo. This has come in handy for me. Also with the 6.4a upgrade you get one button delete no more confirming you wish to delete the show from the now play list. Select the show and hit “Clear” and it’s deleted or should I say “Recently Deleted”.
zorro255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:38 AM   #368
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffy View Post
Any word on whether a solution is found for Series 1 boxes? When I called again on Friday, I got a rep that claimed he would be sending an email to the engineering team, and they would be able to upgrade me to 3.5d -- that I just had to keep the phone line plugged in for the next 72 hours. This rep at least knew about the software upgrade issue for Series 2 DTivo, which made me slightly more hopeful than before...
I don't expect any joy for the Series 1 DirecTivos.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #369
bingle

I went ahead and updated via slices to 6.4a by running swInstall.itcl. The local channels that had completely disappeared came back immediately, but the local CBS affiliate on channel 2, which was still "there" but with no video or audio is still showing no video or audio. It's been 8+ hours since i upgraded.

That channel having no video/audio was the initial symptom that i had encountered. It wasn't until I did a restart that the other local channels had completely disappeared from the channels received list. That channel works fine in the other room, so i know it isn't he affiliate's feed.

Any idea why this local is acting this way? Any hope that it will start working again?
Old 05-28-2012, 08:51 AM   #370
zorro255

Quote:
I went ahead and updated via slices to 6.4a by running swInstall.itcl. The local channels that had completely disappeared came back immediately, but the local CBS affiliate on channel 2, which was still "there" but with no video or audio is still showing no video or audio. It's been 8+ hours since i upgraded.

That channel having no video/audio was the initial symptom that i had encountered. It wasn't until I did a restart that the other local channels had completely disappeared from the channels received list. That channel works fine in the other room, so i know it isn't he affiliate's feed.

Any idea why this local is acting this way? Any hope that it will start working again?
Write down or print out your Season passes you will lose them. Then confirm you are running 6.4a and do a "Clear program information & To Do List" should work.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #371
zorro255

Did that work?
Old 05-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #372
bingle

Quote:
Did that work?
Yep. It took about 3 hours to run the clear, but it worked. I have all my locals back now!

Thanks to everyone for their help!
Old 05-31-2012, 07:55 AM   #373
zorro255

Running 6.4a and Lost Locals Again!!!

Was watching Chicago 7 this morning and lost local Again. I then checked another TiVo running 6.4a lost locals like when running 6.2a. Did a reboot on one TiVo, locals came back. Checked the other TiVo without the reboot, locals are back. Anyone know why?
Old 05-31-2012, 11:49 PM   #374
stlklk

Updates?

I have a Series 2 Phillips DirecTV Tivo and have been reading all of these posts on other people who have missing local channels. I have been missing mine for about 3 weeks now. Has anyone had success with normal dial in to 3.4 and getting local channels back? I am not a techie and would have no clue on how to do any of the splice or other stuff people have been doing.
stlklk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:19 AM   #375
fooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlklk View Post
I have a Series 2 Phillips DirecTV Tivo and have been reading all of these posts on other people who have missing local channels. I have been missing mine for about 3 weeks now. Has anyone had success with normal dial in to 3.4 and getting local channels back? I am not a techie and would have no clue on how to do any of the splice or other stuff people have been doing.
It does appear that a few people have had success. But over on the DirecTV forums they have thrown this over the fence and placed it in Tivo's lap.
fooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #376
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooz View Post
It does appear that a few people have had success. But over on the DirecTV forums they have thrown this over the fence and placed it in Tivo's lap.
I've seen one report with the Tivo updated itself to v6.4. I think there's still a problem that hasn't yet been resolved. I'll keep poking at my DirecTV contacts and post what I learn here. But it's quite clear that the problem must be resolved by Tivo's engineers, not DirecTV's. That's probably a big part of why this is taking so long to resolve.
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
Old 06-01-2012, 04:07 PM   #377
nmiller855

I believe there is some confusion about the software editions. For example, my Series1 Sony SAT-T60 has 3.5c but needs 3.5d to regain the missing locals.
It appears that some Series2 units may have 6.2 but need 6.4 to regain the missing locals. I have a Hughes Series2 SD-DVR40 that upgraded to the 6.4a without problem so I haven't lost my locals on that unit YET.
My solution was to move all my Season Passes for programs to my Series2 unit at least for now.
There may or may not be an upgrade for Series1 units but I haven't heard of a successful one that hasn't involved hacking or switching hard drives.
nmiller855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:40 PM   #378
spiffy

I am totally not knowledgeable on this subject; but it seems like if neither Tivo nor DirecTV can figure out the solution yet, isn't the fastest work around to just enable the East/West Coast feeds for the customers? I have Series 1; and I still have the Network feeds listed in my programming guide. Until somebody figures out a solution that doesn't involve hacking and/or opening the box, why won't D* unlock the feeds in the interim so we can have the major networks back? Please correct me if I am completely way off base.
spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #379
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
I am totally not knowledgeable on this subject; but it seems like if neither Tivo nor DirecTV can figure out the solution yet, isn't the fastest work around to just enable the East/West Coast feeds for the customers? I have Series 1; and I still have the Network feeds listed in my programming guide. Until somebody figures out a solution that doesn't involve hacking and/or opening the box, why won't D* unlock the feeds in the interim so we can have the major networks back? Please correct me if I am completely way off base.
That's not gonna happen. The local stations won't let DirecTV simply activate the DNS networks. My sources tell me that Tivo may be have a fix within a week. Keeping fingers crossed.
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
Old 06-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #380
spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by litzdog911 View Post
That's not gonna happen. The local stations won't let DirecTV simply activate the DNS networks. My sources tell me that Tivo may be have a fix within a week. Keeping fingers crossed.

Just got off the phone with DirecTV again, and was also told that because local channels are available in my area they couldn't enable remote viewing.

I'm guessing the fix is for Series 2 only?
spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:45 AM   #381
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Just got off the phone with DirecTV again, and was also told that because local channels are available in my area they couldn't enable remote viewing.

I'm guessing the fix is for Series 2 only?
Looks that way.
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
Old 06-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #382
RLJinCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by litzdog911 View Post
Wow!! As much as another week, possibly?? Truly amazing that a team of techs at TiVo could not have solved this by now...

Even though I am still at 6.2, I decided to clear program data and To Do list on my HDVR2 last night. It took about 4-1/2 hours (!), but this morning I noticed one change: in the System Information screen, where it had displayed a date of May 3 for last successful Service Data download, this morning it displayed June 2.

The day before I did another reboot for no particular reason and the only change was that I lost 2 additional local channels that I had been receiving. So now I have 3 locals (CBS and 2 CW stations) and am missing other CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS & FOX.

Cable with TiVo Premiere XL4 is looking better everyday.
RLJinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #383
wetchemistry

DirecTV says it's up to Tivo to fix, meanwhile Tivo says it's DirecTV's problem. Hmmm, I'm thinking it'll never get fixed unless you hack your DTV yourself.
wetchemistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #384
zorro255

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetchemistry View Post
DirecTV says it's up to Tivo to fix, meanwhile Tivo says it's DirecTV's problem. Hmmm, I'm thinking it'll never get fixed unless you hack your DTV yourself.
What problem are they trying to fix? The 6.2a Local missing or putting 6.4a back into the stream. They are 2 different problems in my opinion.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #385
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
What problem are they trying to fix? The 6.2a Local missing or putting 6.4a back into the stream. They are 2 different problems in my opinion.
The won't be any fix to provide those missing local stations with any software prior to the latest 6.4a version. That's why it's important that Tivo and DirecTV get this rolled out ASAP.
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
Old 06-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #386
sk33t3r

Before going through all the time and losing your season passes, I suggest trying to reauthorize your receiver via thi directv web site https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/login...uestid=3126299, it take mere second and like I said you dont loose any recordings or season passes.

If customers are still running 6,2a you will be forced to 6.4a, IMO
HR21-200
HR20-100
DRD420re
Old 06-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #387
wetchemistry

Quote:
Before going through all the time and losing your season passes, I suggest trying to reauthorize your receiver via thi directv web site https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/login...uestid=3126299, it take mere second and like I said you dont loose any recordings or season passes.

If customers are still running 6,2a you will be forced to 6.4a, IMO
skeeter, I do NOT want to come off as a jerk, but have you read the previous posts in this thread? Most people land here after DTV has them reauthorize like three times over the phone.
wetchemistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #388
sk33t3r

Im speaking from MY experience, yes I read the post, I did not call Directv, I didnt do anything over the phone, after upgrading to 6.4a i went to that link and reauthorize to get my locals back, and I have done this several times, since I was testing out and trying like hell to get standby back one other thing I had to do was run dish setup.

PS It was just a suggestion!!!
HR21-200
HR20-100
DRD420re
Old 06-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #389
zorro255

Quote:
Im speaking from MY experience, yes I read the post, I did not call Directv, I didnt do anything over the phone, after upgrading to 6.4a i went to that link and reauthorize to get my locals back, and I have done this several times, since I was testing out and trying like hell to get standby back one other thing I had to do was run dish setup.

PS It was just a suggestion!!!
Your problem sounds like a fresh image problem NOT this threads problem. That is ERROR 722. Call DirecTv and tell them “Error 722” and the automated system will reauthorize all the systems. It takes 3mins (I timed it) from “Thank you for calling DirecTv” to “Did that solve the problem?”. I find the phone call easier and faster than logging into the website and finding the right area to perform the reauthorization and one receiver at a time sending the signal.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #390
Frostwolf

The problem has hit me now in Huntsville,AL locals.

I don't have a phone line to connect to. I was offered a new box for $199 + new fees, new contract, and $99 for SD box for other room. I think not. We use MRV everyday, so 6.4a would just put me in the dog house. Sigh...
Frostwolf is offline   Reply With Quote