TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-25-2012, 11:02 PM   #1
Hcour

It's My Favorite Time of Year for TV!

I watch very few series in "real time", as they're broadcast week-to-week. Instead I prefer to wait until the season ends, then watch the whole season over the course of a few weeks. I enjoy the freedom of being able to watch at my leisure. I don't have to wait until next week if a particular episode intrigues me as to how such-and-such is going to play out in the next ep. There's also better continuity to the story overall when the whole season is compressed into a few weeks rather than months and months (often with breaks lasting for weeks).

Recently I've watched the latest seasons of Justified and Southland and I'm looking forward in the next few months to watching 30 Rock, The Killing, Game of Thrones, and Grey's Anatomy.

Anyone else prefer watching their fav series this way?
Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

I do with some shows that I simply didn't have time for when they aired or caught on later because of the good things people said on this forum.

For the most part, I can't wait and need to watch soon after they air. I HATE the long breaks some shows take though.....like Revenge!!!
Old 05-26-2012, 06:13 AM   #3
tvlandfanJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcour View Post

I do this with a [new] series if I feel it may be cancelled. I remember Jimmy Smits had a new series last year I think. I saved it just in case. When the series was quickly cancelled, I never had to invest time in it. I usually don't wait until the end of the season like you. A few years ago, I watched the entire run of "The Black Donnellys" over a weekend only to find out the day I watched the last episode, the show was cancelled. I guess I should have waited a couple more weeks.

Your method would be especially useful this year with series such as Missing and Awake airing double digit episodes only to be cancelled.

Jim
tvlandfanJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:40 AM   #4
Boston Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvlandfanJG
I do this with a [new] series if I feel it may be cancelled. ... Your method would be especially useful this year with series such as Missing and Awake airing double digit episodes only to be canceled.
Even though canceled, Awake was an excellent show and well worth watching despite its short run. Highly recommended.
Boston Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:08 AM   #5
tvlandfanJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Fan View Post
Even though canceled, Awake was an excellent show and well worth watching despite its short run. Highly recommended.
I couldn't agree more! What passes for creativity in television today is to take a successful show based in one city and create a clone based in another city. Tell me, what is the difference between [Insert name]NY, [Insert name]LA and [Insert name][Insert City]?

It's disgusting that shows based on a creative premise like Awake go un-watched while the imbecilic masses can't wait for the next knockoff of "Dancing With The Biggest Loser".

When Newton Minnow called American commercial television a "vaste wasteland" in the 1960s, I bet he never thought he'd live to see this! "Reality Television" makes me long for the days of "My Mother the Car". ; )

Jim
Old 05-26-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

OMG tvlandfanJG, thank God you're here! We desperately need to know whether we're all imbeciles based on the TV shows we choose to watch. So glad you've stepped up to the plate. Please, continue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:56 AM   #7
sieglinde

This is simply entertainment. This is not a great civilization building activity. I don't think people are stupid because they enjoy three varients of CSI or like the endless sitcoms that are all the same. This is simply entertainment not high culture.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #8
tvlandfanJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
OMG tvlandfanJG, thank God you're here! We desperately need to know whether we're all imbeciles based on the TV shows we choose to watch. So glad you've stepped up to the plate. Please, continue.
Glad I could help Lambertman. BTW, I like your signature line. Have you read it lately? ; )

Jim
Old 05-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #9
tiams

When people refrain from watching a show until they know whether it has been cancelled they are increasing the likelihood that it will be cancelled.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #10
sieglinde

Good point. I think I waited until almost the entire season had been broadcast before I watched the second episode of Smash. I loved it and finished it. Thankfully it was renewed.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:42 AM   #11
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvlandfanJG View Post
I do this with a [new] series if I feel it may be cancelled.
Your method would be especially useful this year with series such as Missing and Awake airing double digit episodes only to be cancelled.

Jim
Quote:

It's disgusting that shows based on a creative premise like Awake go un-watched

Jim
On the one hand you recommend not watching shows like Awake and on the other hand you cry about it going unwatched.

Shows get cancelled BECAUSE nobody watches.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:55 AM   #12
tvlandfanJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Shows get cancelled BECAUSE nobody watches.
That was the point of my post. The Television industry gives us the same thing over and over until they beat an idea to death. I guess people are okay with that. That's why shows with a different twist like Awake go unwatched.

Jim
Old 05-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #13
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
When people refrain from watching a show until they know whether it has been cancelled they are increasing the likelihood that it will be cancelled.
This is exactly what I was thinking. If more people did what the OP did, then pretty much whatever he watched would be cancelled. Unfortunately, the current landscape of TV depends on advertising and ratings are based on viewers who watch either live or within a couple of days.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #14
tiams

Quote:
That was the point of my post. The Television industry gives us the same thing over and over until they beat an idea to death. I guess people are okay with that. That's why shows with a different twist like Awake go unwatched.

Jim
You yourself recommended not watching Awake.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #15
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
This is exactly what I was thinking. If more people did what the OP did, then pretty much whatever he watched would be cancelled. Unfortunately, the current landscape of TV depends on advertising and ratings are based on viewers who watch either live or within a couple of days.
I feel like going on a crusade to get people to stop doing what the OP does because it is ruining good show's chances of staying on the air.

Reality shows never get cancelled in the middle of a season. Why? Because people watch them as they air. Hardly anybody saves up a whole season of Survivor or TAR or The Bachelor or The Biggest Loser. They watch weekly because they don't want to be spoiled about who goes home each week and they want to participate in the water cooler talk. Therefore they stay on the air.

I should say "we" instead of "they" because I enjoy many reality shows. I also enjoyed Awake while I was the only one watching each week.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #16
tvlandfanJG

Quote:
That's true if you have a Neilson box. Many people no longer watch television in real time. Whether they wait one day or 8 weeks to watch a show on their Now Playing List, it probably doesn't matter except that they're probably not telling their friends to watch.

Jim
Old 05-26-2012, 10:44 AM   #17
tvlandfanJG

Quote:
You yourself recommended not watching Awake.
Actually, I never said that.

Quote:
I do this with a [new] series if I feel it may be cancelled. I remember Jimmy Smits had a new series last year I think. I saved it just in case. When the series was quickly cancelled, I never had to invest time in it. I usually don't wait until the end of the season like you. A few years ago, I watched the entire run of "The Black Donnellys" over a weekend only to find out the day I watched the last episode, the show was cancelled. I guess I should have waited a couple more weeks.

Jim
The originator of this thread raised the idea of saving shows to watch after the season. My point was, by doing this, one could choose to delete without watching shows that had already been cancelled.

I loved Awake because it was different. It wasn't just a retread of a current show in a different location.

For that matter, I was starting to get into Missing too. Oh well...

Jim
Old 05-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #18
Zevida
witless and unarmed

I used to do that with 24. I'd watch the first few episodes of the season, get mad at having to wait, then stop watching and wait for the DVDs. I think this is because I saw the first two seasons on DVD so it spoiled me.

I'm going through the same thing with Mad Men. I watched 1-4 on Netflix. Now I'm watching season 5 live and I'm enjoying it a lot less. I'll probably not watch the next season live.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:20 PM   #19
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
This is simply entertainment. This is not a great civilization building activity. I don't think people are stupid because they enjoy three varients of CSI or like the endless sitcoms that are all the same. This is simply entertainment not high culture.
I agree 100%. I see this argument so much with poorly rated shows.

A: "Show X is great."

B: "But I don't think it's that good."

A: "Oh yeah? Well you're dumb!"

Seriously, what is this, the third grade? I watch different types of shows for different reasons. How does that reflect on my intelligence level?
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #20
WhiskeyTango

As for the reason Awake failed, there were several factors going against it, the "intelligence" of the show being the least of those. It was a 10pm show where ratings are lower across all networks than their earlier counterparts. It was on NBC, a network with abysmal ratings outside of Sunday Night Football and The Voice. It was on NBC at 10pm on Thursday where there hasn't been a successful show since the days of ER and where two shows, Prime Suspect and The Firm, had already failed this year. NBC has realized this is a dead zone for them right now which is why they opted to air Rock Center with Brian Williams in that slot next fall.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #21
WhiskeyTango

Back on topic, I record my shows, some I watch close to the air date, others get saved up. It just depends on what I am in the mood to watch and I try to keep myself involved in maybe 7 or 8 shows at a time so I don't get spread too thin and forget what is happening. So while I'm watching those, others I fall behind on. When I get caught up and finish one show, I'll start another. I don't have a Nielsen box so it makes no difference when I watch a show.

This is a great time of year for me because I can get caught up on a bunch of shows now that the spring season has ended but the summer season hasn't yet started, not because I now have full seasons of shows to watch.

Last edited by WhiskeyTango : 05-27-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:37 AM   #22
Cereal_Killer

Quote:
That’s a great idea and I will be doing it, starting now, for any new series. I wish I did it for “Game of Thrones - Season2”, but it is too late now.

Like many others, I hate the weekly wait. I also hate the incredibly long breaks, seemingly every other week, for any show I’m interested in.

Never again!! Luckily, I don’t get spoiled where I work so that won’t be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
…Seriously, what is this, the third grade? I watch different types of shows for different reasons. How does that reflect on my intelligence level?
I also agree with this. We watch what we want to watch, some are dumb some are a little less dumb.

I find very few shows “intelligent”. However, if I find a show entertaining I will watch it.
Cereal_Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #23
tiams

Quote:
Seriously, what is this, the third grade? I watch different types of shows for different reasons. How does that reflect on my intelligence level?
People like to say that anyone who watches reality shows are stupid because it makes them feel superior. Same goes for people who say they don't watch TV. I always laugh at those people because they are usually lying.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #24
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
I agree 100%. I see this argument so much with poorly rated shows.

A: "Show X is great."

B: "But I don't think it's that good."

A: "Oh yeah? Well you're dumb!"

Honestly, I think of myself as an intelligent person. I don't watch TV to challenge my intelligence. I watch TV to escape my world and be entertained for the period of time the show is on. If it's reality, sitcom, police procedural or fantasy show like GoT. My TV show list is so varied, I'd love to see someone put me into a category of TV viewers.

Quote:
People like to say that anyone who watches reality shows are stupid because it makes them feel superior. Same goes for people who say they don't watch TV. I always laugh at those people because they are usually lying.
I do give my best friend hell for watching all the "real housewives" shows but that's mostly just to get her going.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #25
Hcour

OMG! Apparently I'm going to be responsible for the death of television!

I never go to theaters, either. I prefer to watch my movies on DVD or BD on my home theater. I suppose they'll stop making movies now, too.

I just feel terrible. I've killed the entertainment industry.
Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #26
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

The problem with watching TV series this way is that it is much harder to come here and post about it. I enjoy the conversation on this site about many shows and sometimes miss out on that when I don't start a series early enough.

It also becomes tough to read news stories. I always read TV news and some headlines just ruin it. The other day I was a but behind on one of my favorite shows. I had not yet watched the season finale and I read a headline that said "Will XXXXXX return next season?" It ruined the season finale a little since I knew that was going to be one of the cliff hangers.

I am very much looking forward to the Netflix model where they release the entire season all at once.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #27
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

I tend to avoid a new show at first and dig into it after it's been on for 2-3 seasons. Longevity seems to be a decent way of determining quality... though that's not always true.

My blog:
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #28
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

I can do this on my TiVo which is in SD but on my HD TV I only have the DVR from Verizon and it is the older smaller one (should see if I can upgrade at no cost or whatever) so I am limited on what I can fall behind on.

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #29
rambler

A hard drive crash kinda turned me off this method a few years back. Lost a lot of shows!
rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:09 AM   #30
Chris Gerhard

Quote:
I never go to theaters, either. I prefer to watch my movies on DVD or BD on my home theater. I suppose they'll stop making movies now, too.

I just feel terrible. I've killed the entertainment industry.
I do the same but fortunately many people still go to the theater or we would never get to see big budget blockbusters, none could be made. Made for TV movies and low budget independent films are all that could be made if everybody did what we do. I might go see "The Avengers" today, if the granddaughters decide to do that or grandmother may send me home to care for the dogs, I never know until showtime. It will be my first trip to the theater this year if I go.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote