TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2012, 12:14 AM   #61
mjh
Re: Member
 
mjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
After having dropped to limited basic cable I realize that I'm not really paying more than I paid 30 years ago for more local channels (including the digital x.2 and x.3 channels) than existed at that time. It's significantly cheaper after inflation.
I went even further and cut the cord completely, putting up a OTA antenna and supplementing with netflix, redbox and pyTivo. $8/mo for netflix, and about the same (on average) for redbox.
__________________
11/11-now:Premiere,45HD,lifetime,OTA
07/10-now:HDXL,150HD,lifetime,OTA
05/06-07/10:R10,136h
08/05-05/06:HDVR2,146h,RIP
12/03-08/05:HDVR2,105h
04/03-11/03:HDVR2,35h
12/02-04/03:S2SA,40h,lifetime
mjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:05 AM   #62
steve614
what ru lookin at?
 
steve614's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,604
So, is this an example of history repeating itself?

I guess TiVo was smart in not making an auto commercial skip feature available.
__________________
The Man Prayer: I'm a man ...... I can change ...... If I have to ...... I guess.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:41 AM   #63
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday
 
pdhenry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 10,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh View Post
I went even further and cut the cord completely, putting up a OTA antenna and supplementing with netflix, redbox and pyTivo. $8/mo for netflix, and about the same (on average) for redbox.
I was going to do that but Xfinity Internet with limited basic is less expensive than Xfinity Internet without cable TV.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #64
MichaelK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,299
you have to love Ergen's stones- suing them back and trying to blame them that somehow their re-transmission fees are related.

He's so out of hand it's funny.

Being a lawyer at Dish/Echostar has to be the closest thing to a guaranteed job for life as exists in this day and age.

You have to wonder if in his personal life he tells his chauffeur to aim at at pedestrians so he can sue them for denting his Bentley.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:12 PM   #65
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 15,852
I can't find the article today, but one of the articles I read about this mentioned a "hardware hack" to enable autoskipping on Tivos.

Was that completely bogus? I suspect they were just misinformed and are talking about the 30 second skip, which still requires users to enter the code to enable it. (It's a scan on Premieres by default...)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:11 PM   #66
steve614
what ru lookin at?
 
steve614's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,604
I've never heard of "auto skipping" on Tivos. I think the "undocumented" backdoor 30 SS hack is as close as we'll get in skipping commercials efficiently.
The end result is the user still has to take action to skip commercials and that is the crux of this issue.
Dish has made it possible to skip commercials without user intervention, and IIRC this is the reason ReplayTV got sued out of business.
__________________
The Man Prayer: I'm a man ...... I can change ...... If I have to ...... I guess.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:05 PM   #67
cherry ghost
Registered User
 
cherry ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I can't find the article today, but one of the articles I read about this mentioned a "hardware hack" to enable autoskipping on Tivos.

Was that completely bogus? I suspect they were just misinformed and are talking about the 30 second skip, which still requires users to enter the code to enable it. (It's a scan on Premieres by default...)
Probably the New York Times article. He changed it after being told on Twitter it was incorrect.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:16 AM   #68
Scyber
Former ReplayTV User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I've never heard of "auto skipping" on Tivos. I think the "undocumented" backdoor 30 SS hack is as close as we'll get in skipping commercials efficiently.
The end result is the user still has to take action to skip commercials and that is the crux of this issue.
Dish has made it possible to skip commercials without user intervention, and IIRC this is the reason ReplayTV got sued out of business.
ReplayTV (well technically SonicBlue since they owned ReplayTV at the time) got sued due to the Automatic Commercial Advance (CA) technology AND the Internet Sharing technology. The technology ReplayTV used for skipping commercials had been in use for years in VCRs and had never been subject to a lawsuit. While its likely ReplayTV would have still been sued with just CA, I've always felt that the Internet Sharing is really what brought it to the TV Networks attention. And the combination of the 2 was seen as very dangerous. After D&M Holdings settled with the networks, CA was left in while Internet Sharing was removed. Although CA was no longer fully automatic, it required 1 button press to skip an entire commercial break.

As for the "sued out of existence", there were many factors that lead to ReplayTVs demise. While the lawsuit was a certainly a factor, I think it has always been overhyped as a reason.
Scyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #69
WhiskeyTango
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,627
I read today that at least one network, possibly with others to follow are no longer airing ads that mention the Hopper. I think Fox was the first. Les Moonves was griping about it as well.
__________________
Keeping a job isn't about knowing how to do it, it's about knowing how to make everyone else believe you know how to do it.. --Choccy
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #70
moyekj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 8,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scyber View Post
ReplayTV (well technically SonicBlue since they owned ReplayTV at the time) got sued due to the Automatic Commercial Advance (CA) technology AND the Internet Sharing technology. The technology ReplayTV used for skipping commercials had been in use for years in VCRs and had never been subject to a lawsuit. While its likely ReplayTV would have still been sued with just CA, I've always felt that the Internet Sharing is really what brought it to the TV Networks attention. And the combination of the 2 was seen as very dangerous. After D&M Holdings settled with the networks, CA was left in while Internet Sharing was removed. Although CA was no longer fully automatic, it required 1 button press to skip an entire commercial break.

As for the "sued out of existence", there were many factors that lead to ReplayTVs demise. While the lawsuit was a certainly a factor, I think it has always been overhyped as a reason.
I agree with all this. Early on in 2000 I chose ReplayTV over TiVo because of auto-commercial skip and I'm well aware of everything ReplayTV related and was pretty active in 3rd party development for it including replaySchedule and auto-commercial skip playback using VLC-Videolan player. I always longed for an HD version of ReplayTV but realized at some point that will never happen. There is no good way to condense down to a single phrase what happened to Sonic Blue which is why I also have adopted the "sued out of existence" mantra to summarize what happened though that certainly is nowhere near the whole story.
__________________
Roamio Pro (GigE)
Elite (MoCA)
Premiere (MoCA adapter)
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #71
allan
I survived the Mayan
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 11,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
I read today that at least one network, possibly with others to follow are no longer airing ads that mention the Hopper. I think Fox was the first. Les Moonves was griping about it as well.
This morning I heard a Hopper ad on the radio. It started with "Do you hate ads? Even this one?"
__________________
My Tivo is too small!

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |