TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-27-2012, 12:14 AM   #61
mjh
Re: Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
After having dropped to limited basic cable I realize that I'm not really paying more than I paid 30 years ago for more local channels (including the digital x.2 and x.3 channels) than existed at that time. It's significantly cheaper after inflation.
I went even further and cut the cord completely, putting up a OTA antenna and supplementing with netflix, redbox and pyTivo. $8/mo for netflix, and about the same (on average) for redbox.
08/05-05/06:HDVR2,146h,RIP
12/03-08/05:HDVR2,105h
04/03-11/03:HDVR2,35h
12/02-04/03:S2SA,40h,lifetime
mjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:05 AM   #62
steve614
what ru lookin at?

So, is this an example of history repeating itself?

I guess TiVo was smart in not making an auto commercial skip feature available.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:41 AM   #63
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh View Post
I went even further and cut the cord completely, putting up a OTA antenna and supplementing with netflix, redbox and pyTivo. $8/mo for netflix, and about the same (on average) for redbox.
I was going to do that but Xfinity Internet with limited basic is less expensive than Xfinity Internet without cable TV.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #64
MichaelK

you have to love Ergen's stones- suing them back and trying to blame them that somehow their re-transmission fees are related.

He's so out of hand it's funny.

Being a lawyer at Dish/Echostar has to be the closest thing to a guaranteed job for life as exists in this day and age.

You have to wonder if in his personal life he tells his chauffeur to aim at at pedestrians so he can sue them for denting his Bentley.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:12 PM   #65
mattack

I can't find the article today, but one of the articles I read about this mentioned a "hardware hack" to enable autoskipping on Tivos.

Was that completely bogus? I suspect they were just misinformed and are talking about the 30 second skip, which still requires users to enter the code to enable it. (It's a scan on Premieres by default...)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:11 PM   #66
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I've never heard of "auto skipping" on Tivos. I think the "undocumented" backdoor 30 SS hack is as close as we'll get in skipping commercials efficiently.
The end result is the user still has to take action to skip commercials and that is the crux of this issue.
Dish has made it possible to skip commercials without user intervention, and IIRC this is the reason ReplayTV got sued out of business.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:05 PM   #67
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I can't find the article today, but one of the articles I read about this mentioned a "hardware hack" to enable autoskipping on Tivos.

Was that completely bogus? I suspect they were just misinformed and are talking about the 30 second skip, which still requires users to enter the code to enable it. (It's a scan on Premieres by default...)
Probably the New York Times article. He changed it after being told on Twitter it was incorrect.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:16 AM   #68
Scyber
Former ReplayTV User

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I've never heard of "auto skipping" on Tivos. I think the "undocumented" backdoor 30 SS hack is as close as we'll get in skipping commercials efficiently.
The end result is the user still has to take action to skip commercials and that is the crux of this issue.
Dish has made it possible to skip commercials without user intervention, and IIRC this is the reason ReplayTV got sued out of business.
ReplayTV (well technically SonicBlue since they owned ReplayTV at the time) got sued due to the Automatic Commercial Advance (CA) technology AND the Internet Sharing technology. The technology ReplayTV used for skipping commercials had been in use for years in VCRs and had never been subject to a lawsuit. While its likely ReplayTV would have still been sued with just CA, I've always felt that the Internet Sharing is really what brought it to the TV Networks attention. And the combination of the 2 was seen as very dangerous. After D&M Holdings settled with the networks, CA was left in while Internet Sharing was removed. Although CA was no longer fully automatic, it required 1 button press to skip an entire commercial break.

As for the "sued out of existence", there were many factors that lead to ReplayTVs demise. While the lawsuit was a certainly a factor, I think it has always been overhyped as a reason.
Scyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #69
WhiskeyTango

I read today that at least one network, possibly with others to follow are no longer airing ads that mention the Hopper. I think Fox was the first. Les Moonves was griping about it as well.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #70
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scyber View Post
ReplayTV (well technically SonicBlue since they owned ReplayTV at the time) got sued due to the Automatic Commercial Advance (CA) technology AND the Internet Sharing technology. The technology ReplayTV used for skipping commercials had been in use for years in VCRs and had never been subject to a lawsuit. While its likely ReplayTV would have still been sued with just CA, I've always felt that the Internet Sharing is really what brought it to the TV Networks attention. And the combination of the 2 was seen as very dangerous. After D&M Holdings settled with the networks, CA was left in while Internet Sharing was removed. Although CA was no longer fully automatic, it required 1 button press to skip an entire commercial break.

As for the "sued out of existence", there were many factors that lead to ReplayTVs demise. While the lawsuit was a certainly a factor, I think it has always been overhyped as a reason.
I agree with all this. Early on in 2000 I chose ReplayTV over TiVo because of auto-commercial skip and I'm well aware of everything ReplayTV related and was pretty active in 3rd party development for it including replaySchedule and auto-commercial skip playback using VLC-Videolan player. I always longed for an HD version of ReplayTV but realized at some point that will never happen. There is no good way to condense down to a single phrase what happened to Sonic Blue which is why I also have adopted the "sued out of existence" mantra to summarize what happened though that certainly is nowhere near the whole story.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #71
allan
I survived the Mayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
I read today that at least one network, possibly with others to follow are no longer airing ads that mention the Hopper. I think Fox was the first. Les Moonves was griping about it as well.
This morning I heard a Hopper ad on the radio. It started with "Do you hate ads? Even this one?"

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote