TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-25-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
farmermac
Super user

Spring update fix the stability issues?

A few months ago I bought a premier box that I couldnt get to stay up. It would randomly crash as I navigated the UI, recorded shows, etc. Almost every single day I had it, I would wake up and find it stuck in a reboot loop. Obviously not normal behavior but a little research on these forums and google seemed to be pretty common. I ended up returning it after about 10 days.

I have a S3 HD XL that I love but still have an itch to get the 4 tuners and 2tb. Whats the consensus on the spring update? Has it fixed most problems? At the time my box was crashing, TiVo was promising software fixes to address the problems I was having but I wasnt willing to gamble.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

No, it is not and was not very common (hard to measure as people don't normally post who do not have issues). You certainly had a bad experience, either a bad box or some other issue causing reboots. Most here have solid machines.

New software just went in that addresses some bug fixes and provides new apps from Netflix and Youtube.

If you get one, check in here and with TiVo with your issues. These folks can help. I see from your post history that you did post your problem, but I don't see any of the troubleshooting. Could have been the box/drive/cablecard/signal or other issue.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
sharkster

I'm not sure if it was a crash, but one of my Premieres would get 'stuck' and the only way out was to restart it (unplug and plug back in). I had that happen several times with that one and only once with my other one. It (crossing fingers) hasn't happened since the update.

I had just replaced my old S2 boxes with these two Premieres in March, though, so I don't know if it was just the settling in period or if it was software problems.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
ajwees41

we just got our spring update and now it's saying cox made a lineup change and will not get past that.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
mrrjm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmermac View Post
A few months ago I bought a premier box that I couldnt get to stay up. It would randomly crash as I navigated the UI, recorded shows, etc. Almost every single day I had it, I would wake up and find it stuck in a reboot loop. Obviously not normal behavior but a little research on these forums and google seemed to be pretty common. I ended up returning it after about 10 days.

I have a S3 HD XL that I love but still have an itch to get the 4 tuners and 2tb. Whats the consensus on the spring update? Has it fixed most problems? At the time my box was crashing, TiVo was promising software fixes to address the problems I was having but I wasnt willing to gamble.
Had the same problem before the hard drive failed. After I got the free replacement unit I replaced the hard drive with a Western digital RE4 drive. The TiVo is much more responsive and rock solid.

Ray
mrrjm1 is offline   Reply With Quote