TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #331
thegreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windstar View Post
Can anyone provide a dial-in phone number that was used successfully for the update to 6.4a?
This # was successful for me: 1-847-841-0035
thegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #332
tomc585

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreen View Post
interesting, one would think that it wouldn't matter which number you dialed into but hey....you never know.

HR21-200
SD-DVR320
D11-100
tomc585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #333
poman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreen View Post
I tried that one, didn't do anything special for my HDVR2.

I'm starting to think the only way to get the update is to hack.
poman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:36 PM   #334
fooz

Got my locals back. Switched to Dish with 2 Hoppers /3 Joeys, sent my HD DVR and 4 access cards back today. Couldn't be more satisfied.

Funny thing is they have put more effort into "getting me back" then trying to fix/satisfy me before canceling me. Heck they offered a new HD DVR and 4 HD boxes along with some other special pricing to come back. If they had offered to upgrade my 3 Tivos to an HD DVR and 2 boxes I would still be a customer and would be locked in to 2 more years.
fooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:24 AM   #335
derelict

I also lost the locals on my three Samsung SIR-4080's in the Los Angeles market. Fortunately I can still get these on channels 390-400.

It looks like upgrading to 6.4 is not an option for me since MRV is a must have feature... I think I can live with the inconvenience of finding ABC on 397 instead of 7 if I can keep MRV. I just wonder what is going to happen next that will render my poor DTivos obsolete.

Can anyone tell me if there are any options out there that will enable something like MRV and the ability to extract shows for archiving? Since the new DVRs and Tivos are not hackable, I think I am out of alternatives....
derelict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #336
Pete_C

Redid upgrade:

1 - Manually upgraded to 6.4A
2 - ran zipper
3 - rebooted and cleared everything
4 - local Chicago channels (2,5 & 7) came back a few minutes after with reboot.
5 - plugged in phone line and enabled dial out
6 - manually configured Chicago number
7 - validated dial up.
8 - configured some scheduling for wife

Wife tested and I watched.

Playback of anything recorded on 2,5 & 7 would result in a reboot after about 15 minutes.

Playback of any other channels recorded worked fine.

Something is different.

Ordered the Linux "branded" OTA tuner for the new MediaPortal box (I mistakenly stated MythTV before). I have XBMC running on on a few Aopen Digital Engines now recently replacing a "few" Patriot PBO's around the house. I also have a TVersity / Playon TV server that I have been using for a couple of years now.

Last edited by Pete_C : 05-23-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Pete_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #337
zorro255

I use to use MRV all the time. Now I use Movieloader all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derelict View Post
I also lost the locals on my three Samsung SIR-4080's in the Los Angeles market. Fortunately I can still get these on channels 390-400.

It looks like upgrading to 6.4 is not an option for me since MRV is a must have feature... I think I can live with the inconvenience of finding ABC on 397 instead of 7 if I can keep MRV. I just wonder what is going to happen next that will render my poor DTivos obsolete.

Can anyone tell me if there are any options out there that will enable something like MRV and the ability to extract shows for archiving? Since the new DVRs and Tivos are not hackable, I think I am out of alternatives....

Ok I upgraded all my tivo’s to the 6.4a with cake to get my locals back. Movieloader and HME is no MRV but do not say NO to it out right. Do some testing first you can always go back to 6.2a if you don’t like Movieloader

Steps I took.

Code:
1.	Running 6.2a I install MFS_FTP in /enhancements/varhacks/mfs_ftp (been running for years actually)
2.	Backed up All my shows to the computer using MFS_FTP using a FTP client 
a.MFT_FTP is key for Movieloader. So get it running in 6.2a first.
b.If your new to MFS_FTP transfer the TMF files ONLY.
3.	Move your MFS_FTP folder to your computer for easy reinstalling or make the folder a .tar file. (You will thank yourself later)
4.	Image the Tivo with cake. (one TiVo got a harddrive size increase.)
5.	“Cleared and Deleted every thing” 
a.	They say it is not needed but does no harm (you choose)
6.	Follow the on screen instructions for the Satellite.
7.	Follow the on screen instructions for the Phone
8.	Force a Call in then reboot.

Up to now it is an unhacked Tivo

Now for the Zipper.

1.	Grab a Superpatch that will work with 6.4a from the other site.
2.	Rip the drive out again.
3.	Zipper it up
4.	Install the drive
5.	Rebooted twice like normal
6.	Run tweak. DO NOT REBOOT.
7.	DO NOT REBOOT  The next steps might be issues that should go on the Zippers and rbautch threads.
I am making a note hear for those who have not upgraded and want to quickly get MRV function and locals back. Sometimes TiVo reboots during acquiring signal after running tweak. My solution is simple. 

8.	 Edit the etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author 
a.I ftp it to my computer and ftp it back for the first time install. After this I use Hackman
9.	Find were it says sleep 30 change to sleep 90 this is long but it should work.
10.	Also add another sleep 90 before starting TivoWeb if installed 
11.	Also make sure the “export HOSTNAME” does not include special characters like # or ‘. If it does comment the “export HOSTNAME” out or change the name
12.	mount -o remount,rw /
13.	FTP rc.sysinit.author back
14.	Reboot.

(If you already rebooted before editing the author file. Just wait till the Acquiring signal comes up then QUICKLY go to “Read Messages and Settings”->”Settings”->”Satellite”->”Repeat Guided setup” QUICKLY get to the confirming setup screen then wait a few minutes after this screen is done. Letting rc.sysinit.author finish. Then finish acquiring signal step. Finally make the right changes and reboot)

15.	Now install MFS_FTP and have it start automatically after the (2) 90 second sleeps by adding /enhancements/varhacks/mfs_ftp/mfs_ftp.tcl & to the end of the etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author
16.	(Optional) add echo 'Done' | /enhancements/varhacks/hack/bin/out2osd -d3 &>/dev/null to the end of etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author and it just lets you know on the TV screen that the tivo is up and running. 
17.	Enable HME under “Music, Photos, & More”
18.	Verify MFS_FTP is running then start Movieloader on your computer 
a.	It might take 1 minute longer after MFS_FTP is started to get all the way up and running.
19.	Your MovieLoader.properties file should look something like this
Tivo1=ftp://0.0.0.0:3105/tmf/
Tivo2=ftp://0.0.0.0:3105/tmf/
Computer=C: \TivoBackupVideos\

Hope this helps you make the decision to upgrade to 6.4a

Last edited by zorro255 : 06-15-2012 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Typo
zorro255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:24 PM   #338
Captain 80s

Great post... maybe we need to start a new thread in the underground section?

And.... oh no... my wife can't believe the time I spent getting all of our 6.2a's where I wanted them. So it begins again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorro255 View Post
Ok I upgraded all my tivo’s to the 6.4a with cake to get my locals back. Movieloader and HME is nothing to laugh at. It’s no MRV but do not say NO to it out right. Do some testing first you can always go back to 6.2a if you don’t like Movieloader

Hope this helps you make the dissection to upgrade to 6.4a

Last edited by Captain 80s : 05-23-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Captain 80s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #339
zorro255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain 80s View Post
Great post... maybe we need to start a new thread in the underground section?
Someone already did.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=487593

Last edited by zorro255 : 05-23-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #340
zorro255

On another note I reimaged my R10 to 6.1 image that I still had and let it call in every day and rebooted. I wanted to see how long it would take to get 6.4a. Never got 6.4a. That was last Sunday over 11 days ago. It is an unhacked tivo. I finally just reimaged it with 6.4a cake. Are we sure that 6.4a is in the stream?
Old 05-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #341
Captain 80s

I've had a stock 6.2a making successful daily calls since mid April... <crickets>
Old 05-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #342
zorro255

Is there any official update from DirecTv for the customers who don't want to open there tivo? Or should customers be learning how to install 6.4a using a cake or the slicer if they don't want to hack them?

2 months is WAY TO LONG.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #343
Captain 80s

I eagerly modified my Tivo and unplugged the phone line, so personally I'm not too upset about the work I'm doing now to get my units updated. But, I'm comfortable opening boxes, telnet-ing, ftp-ing, configuring bios for cdroms to boot, etc. I keep an old HP with no hard drives handy just for imaging and running Spin-Rite on all my drives.

But, I'm pretty sure I've read reports of people claim they've had stock units hooked up to phone lines since they've got them and they're not up to date. That's not
cool.

I think Instantcake will be their best bet, but you're still cracking boxes and hooking drives up to computers. I think a lot of people just don't want to get into that.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:10 AM   #344
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Is there any official update from DirecTv for the customers who don't want to open there tivo? Or should customers be learning how to install 6.4a using a cake or the slicer if they don't want to hack them?

2 months is WAY TO LONG.
No update. Crazy, huh?
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:50 AM   #345
spiffy

I've used InstantCake years ago to replace the dead drive in my SAT-T60, so I don't mind doing it again, as daunting as it was. However, it's been several days already, and I still haven't heard back from DVRUpgrade about whether their current version of InstantCake will bring me up to 3.5d. Does anybody know??

Meanwhile, D* actually told me to keep the phone line plugged in until Friday (translation: don't bug them until then) and see what happens, which I found totally unacceptable.
spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:53 AM   #346
Windstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by litzdog911 View Post
No update. Crazy, huh?
I sure hope you are not being sarcastic, because it is BEYOND crazy. It is totally unacceptable.

I have two HDVR2's that have been continuously connected to a phone line for the past 10 years. I have replaced drives and power supplies in both units several times. We have always been subscribed to the full package with extras, which now comes to well over $150 a month. Without going into Quicken, simple math tells me I have paid DTV well over $15,000 since becoming a "customer". This does not include the cost of drives, power supplies, down time, my time, time spent listening to my wife complain, etc.

We have been without locals for over a month and a half. I have spent untold hours on forums, on the phone with DTV, forcing calls, trying different dial in numbers, blah, blah, blah. To no avail.

After all the $$$ I have paid DTV wouldn't you think that if they can't fix what they broke in a reasonable amount of time that, at the very least, they would just send me two new boxes that work. Is expecting to enjoy what I am paying for as a "customer" crazy? I certainly don't think so.
Windstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:34 AM   #347
Ken Crane

I am pessimistic that DTV/TIVO will ever fix the problem of the missing local channels. Jump back to 2008/2009 - my phone was permanently connected & calling in successfully when the 6.4 software came available & it didn’t upgrade then. Also in this time frame the daily telephone call stopped being able to connect not only for me but most if not all Tivos. There are threads one can search if interested re this on DBS Talk & Tivo community. DTV could not or couldn’t be bothered to apparently fix this daily connect in 2008/2009 so I disconnected the phone. Jump to the present: 2012: DTV upgrades something in their system & people with Standard definition Tivos lose local channels. DTV has now ‘miraculously’ fixed the phone ‘call in’ connect problem & I have been able to connect every day for the last 7 weeks but have not received the 6.4 software upgrade. Could DTV/TIVO fix this problem? – I have no doubt if it was system wide affecting thousands of customers it would be fixed by now.
My receiver/TV details are:
· Tivo model number - SAMSUNG SIR-S4080R
· Tivo current software version - 6.3e – 01—2-381
· Tivo Service Number - 381-0000-EO5D-BF78
· My Tivo does NOT have any "modifications" to its original software
· TV brand & model number? SONY – KV-32XBR48
· My Tivo is connected to my TV via – COAX

Quote:

2 months is WAY TO LONG.

Ken Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:01 AM   #348
wetchemistry

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooz View Post
Got my locals back. Switched to Dish with 2 Hoppers /3 Joeys, sent my HD DVR and 4 access cards back today. Couldn't be more satisfied.

Funny thing is they have put more effort into "getting me back" then trying to fix/satisfy me before canceling me. Heck they offered a new HD DVR and 4 HD boxes along with some other special pricing to come back. If they had offered to upgrade my 3 Tivos to an HD DVR and 2 boxes I would still be a customer and would be locked in to 2 more years.
Fooz, let us know how much you like/ dislike the Dish Hopper.
wetchemistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #349
RLJinCT

Quote:
No update. Crazy, huh?
It is definitely crazy... I remember when I unplugged my DTivo from the phone line 4 or 5 years ago, it was because DTV had just put out an update (6.3?) that was making my receiver restart 20 times a day. So I bought a new larger drive from Weaknees that had 6.2 pre-installed and never had another problem, until 2 weeks ago. I reconnected phone line on Sat. 5/18 and have calling in daily, but no update. Still on 6.2.

I'm giving this another week. I can get the exact same programming for the same price from Metrocast Cable in my area, and I'll buy the Tivo Premiere XL4, which I know I'll be happy with.
RLJinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #350
fooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetchemistry View Post
Fooz, let us know how much you like/ dislike the Dish Hopper.
So far I am happy.

I do have an issue from the install that they are supposed to correct this Saturday (the installer hooked me up with 2 single node switches instead of 1 duo node). But, I can say I am happy that DirecTV decided to give me the boot instead of fixing the problem. So be careful if you complain too much about them crippling your Tivos they will be happy to cancel you with very little notice.

I really was looking to get an HR34 but read about some real issues with it and I have had no real issue with my Hoppers & Joeys.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #351
fooz

It looks like DirecTV is throwing it over the fence now.

"..the problem is in Tivo's hands now. Hopefully they'll figure it out soon."
Old 05-25-2012, 04:47 PM   #352
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windstar View Post
I sure hope you are not being sarcastic, because it is BEYOND crazy. It is totally unacceptable.

No sarcasm. It's truly dumbfounding that it's taking this long to sort out this problem. But I'll pass along any information I hear from my DirecTV contacts.
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
Old 05-25-2012, 09:25 PM   #353
wetchemistry

I like how over at the DTV forums - on my thread that was deleted - the "company wanna-bes" kept sayin' that the 6.4a upgrade was in the stream, "the phone call was just to authenticate the upgrade.". Then a few people got upgraded via "phone call" and all was well. But now, that a few people can't upgrade, and for some it's been 8 weeks, it's ALL Tivo's fault. Whatever, DTV dropped the ball, and now the "company wanna-bes" are blaming Tivo. C'mon......
Old 05-25-2012, 11:51 PM   #354
RLJinCT

There seem to be two separate issues (if I understand correctly): the inability of our receivers to update to 6.4 seems to be an authentication issue with TiVo; the fact that many of us cannot receive local channels was caused by a change that Directv implemented that was incompatible with software versions earlier than 6.4.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:04 AM   #355
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
I like how over at the DTV forums - on my thread that was deleted - the "company wanna-bes" kept sayin' that the 6.4a upgrade was in the stream, "the phone call was just to authenticate the upgrade.". Then a few people got upgraded via "phone call" and all was well. But now, that a few people can't upgrade, and for some it's been 8 weeks, it's ALL Tivo's fault. Whatever, DTV dropped the ball, and now the "company wanna-bes" are blaming Tivo. C'mon......
Dude, we're only reporting what we're hearing from our DirecTV contacts. Latest word is that Tivo has figured out the problem and successful downloads should be starting in the next day or so. Let's hope so.
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
Old 05-26-2012, 07:23 AM   #356
wetchemistry

Quote:
Dude, we're only reporting what we're hearing from our DirecTV contacts. Latest word is that Tivo has figured out the problem and successful downloads should be starting in the next day or so. Let's hope so.

Reporting it as news received from a third party is different than writing ,"we will fix it," etc.... I'll give you a pass, you have been helpful over at the DTV forums, but there are some over there that take "volunteer" to a whole new level.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #357
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Reporting it as news received from a third party is different than writing ,"we will fix it," etc.... I'll give you a pass, you have been helpful over at the DTV forums, but there are some over there that take "volunteer" to a whole new level.
Kinda hard to pin this on TiVo IMO once the TiVo/DirecTV relationship changed (I think in 2002) so that all TiVo support for the combo units was funneled through DirecTV. Even TiVo employees here that had been forthcoming about the combo units prior to that change began referring to them as "their product" while providing the DirecTV toll free number.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:41 AM   #358
RLJinCT

Quote:
Thank you, litzdog911, for keeping us informed. I, for one, am grateful.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #359
spiffy

Quote:
Any word on whether a solution is found for Series 1 boxes? When I called again on Friday, I got a rep that claimed he would be sending an email to the engineering team, and they would be able to upgrade me to 3.5d -- that I just had to keep the phone line plugged in for the next 72 hours. This rep at least knew about the software upgrade issue for Series 2 DTivo, which made me slightly more hopeful than before...
spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #360
bingle

I encountered the "missing locals" issue today here in Orlando.

Unit is a caked, zippered HDVR2 running 6.2-01-2-321 with telnet access via USB (no access via serial).

As I was already toying with ditching my 3 HDVR2 units and DirecTV in general for Comcast, I'm not terribly interested in paying for the slicer and hopefully will never need my hacks again (which were sparingly used anyway). I also no longer have easy access to an IDE based box to play with the drive on.

But, I'm having a problem trying to force an upgrade to 6.4a.

I used wget to pull down the slices for 6.4a

FamRm-TiVo# echo mls /SwSystem | tivosh
Directory of /SwSystem starting at ''

Name Type FsId Date Time Size
---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----
6.2-01-2-321 tyDb 3965 03/21/05 00:54 724
6.4a-01-2-121 tyDb 6663989 05/26/12 21:46 780
ACTIVE tyDb 3965 03/21/05 00:54 724

BUT, my unit hasn't phoned home in years (fakecall.tcl is installed) and bootpage shows that zipper (correctly) set upgradesoftware to false

FamRm-TiVo# bootpage -p
No device name given, assuming /dev/hda
root=/dev/hda4 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false

I thought that maybe forcing an actual call via the phone settings might trigger the "pending restart" despite fakecall.tcl and the upgradesoftware=false but I can't for the life of me get to actual make a successful call. Most of the time it fails during negotiating but also sometimes doesn't even manage to get an answer. It didn't have a phone number set, so I put in ,4076481375,, as the dial prefix as that is the number that an unhacked HDVR2 in the bedroom is using to actually dial in. No real change in behavior as far as I can tell. Most of the time it fails negotiating.

Any suggestions on how I can get the unit to complete the upgrade to 6.4a? Again, I won't be terribly disappointed with losing my hacks as long as I can retain my recordings and get my locals back.

Thanks!
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote