Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #181
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
And he was probably talking manuscript pages, which would probably be about 100-120 pages of actual printed book.
The way I've heard, 200 pages from GRR would cover the action of a single character entering a room.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #182
audioscience
Droppin' Science *

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
The way I've heard, 200 pages from GRR would cover the action of a single character entering a room.
Naw, it's about 1 chapter each for 5 characters that he'd be jumping between.
audioscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #183
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

His books may be massive, but they are by no means uneventful.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #184
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
His books may be massive, but they are by no means uneventful.
I don't know about that. All the shows so far have consisted of people walking in and out of rooms!
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #185
LordKronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerock View Post
I LOVE these books and the show. I don't want to spoil it for anyone. Heck even the thing I put spoiler tags around isn't really a spoiler. I made a joke about something happening in a yet unwritten Book 8.
Now that was a pretty dick move. I've been one who has been open to reading spoilers because I want to know a little more about the books and backstory, and people here are pretty respectful not to put major info in the spoiler tage, so I don't generally feel there's any harm in reading spoilers (though I try to approach it with caution). When I opened your spoiler tag and read that somebody died, I quickly closed the tag and tried not to look at anything more in your post. I didn't want to fully understand the context of your spoiler so it was at least a partial mystery. Thus I didn't even see the part that indicated it was joke about book 8.

I was pretty pissed when I read that, and I sent you a PM asking you to fix it. Obviously I realize now it was just a joke, but it wasn't very funny.
LordKronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #186
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
I don't know about that. All the shows so far have consisted of people walking in and out of rooms!
Except they say eventful things in between, and often kill each other. Eventfully.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #187
LordKronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
Well hopefully he'll have the next book done and out before the show catches up.
You better hope for more than just the next book, unless you want the show to go on a 5 year hiatus before coming back for the final season.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #188
audioscience
Droppin' Science *

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordKronos View Post
Now that was a pretty dick move. I've been one who has been open to reading spoilers because I want to know a little more about the books and backstory, and people here are pretty respectful not to put major info in the spoiler tage, so I don't generally feel there's any harm in reading spoilers (though I try to approach it with caution). When I opened your spoiler tag and read that somebody died, I quickly closed the tag and tried not to look at anything more in your post. I didn't want to fully understand the context of your spoiler so it was at least a partial mystery. Thus I didn't even see the part that indicated it was joke about book 8.

I was pretty pissed when I read that, and I sent you a PM asking you to fix it. Obviously I realize now it was just a joke, but it wasn't very funny.
I lol'd.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #189
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioscience View Post
I lol'd.
Thanks. I feel less of a jerk now.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #190
DUDE_NJX

The problem is, his "spoiler" implies that the character is safe for a long while - which is a huge spoiler in itself.
DUDE_NJX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #191
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE_NJX View Post
The problem is, his "spoiler" implies that the character is safe for a long while - which is a huge spoiler in itself.
Unless he was, er, joking...
Old 05-24-2012, 02:52 PM   #192
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE_NJX View Post
Sorry I was careful to choose a character that is alive at the point where the series is and had him die in some future event. But I in no way was trying to imply that the character lived until that pretend future event. Having said that I'm not implying the character doesn't live until that future event. I'm no longer implying anything either way. I am 100% untrustworthy and anything I say should be assumed to be a complete fabrication.

Any problem that I've caused was unintended on my part but I take full responsibility for it and comletely understand if you want to put me on ignore.

I can only take solace in the fact that I have clearly illustrated how hard it is to joke about anything happening in this series. It just doesn't work. I should have stuck with the Harry Potter thread.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:55 PM   #193
LordKronos

Quote:
Disclaimer: The spoiler above is intentionally (and I thought obivously) FAKE . I thought would be funny because it is from a book that doesn't exist yet. Except that as an upset PM made me realize, non readers might not know that there is no book 8 so it wasn't obviously a joke. Though in my defense I did state that the only fake thing I could do is reference a book that hasn't been written. Sorry for the confusion. You the reader are not in anyway the only person who doesn't get my sense of humor.
Well, I see you edited your post. Just so you know, my issue wasn't that I didn't get your joke. The problem was that I didn't even realize it was a joke. The instant my eyes got to the word died, I was like "oh crap, close this all before I read one word more, so I can at least be surprised by the details of it". Thus I never even SAW the part of your post that made it an obvious joke.

And if this forum had the feature, I would have gone and blocked all posts from your account since you apparently (or at least I thought) didn't have sense enough to keep HUGE events like that out of it. And I wasn't planning on reading your PM reply either for the same reason. It was only because I couldn't block you that I saw your post further down indicating it was a joke.

We're good, and I'm not mad at you. I just think a joke where someone might never realize it was a joke isn't a very good one. But who knows...maybe I'd be laughing if I hadn't spent 5 minutes pissed about it
Old 05-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #194
allan
I survived the Mayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordKronos View Post

I did the same thing, but I saw "book 8" in the corner of my eye, and realized it was a joke.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #195
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Why does every GoT episode thread end up a discussion on the books and whether talking about them is a spoiler or not?

I think the show stands great on it's own merit, books or no books. And there's a thread to discuss book vs. TV Show for those so inclined.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #196
audioscience
Droppin' Science *

Ignore it?

There's obviously plenty of people here who haven't read the books who enjoy talking about some of the book elements as well.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:55 PM   #197
Shaunnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Why does every GoT episode thread end up a discussion on the books and whether talking about them is a spoiler or not?

I think the show stands great on it's own merit, books or no books. And there's a thread to discuss book vs. TV Show for those so inclined.
Here we go.

Shaunnick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #198
Ereth

Quote:
Sorry I was careful to choose a character that is alive at the point where the series is and had him die in some future event. But I in no way was trying to imply that the character lived until that pretend future event. Having said that I'm not implying the character doesn't live until that future event. I'm no longer implying anything either way. I am 100% untrustworthy and anything I say should be assumed to be a complete fabrication.

Any problem that I've caused was unintended on my part but I take full responsibility for it and comletely understand if you want to put me on ignore.

I can only take solace in the fact that I have clearly illustrated how hard it is to joke about anything happening in this series. It just doesn't work. I should have stuck with the Harry Potter thread.
In the vein of discussing comedy (which always ruins the humor), I would have recommended choosing a far more ridiculous book number (like, say 146) and putting that first. That would have sold the joke better.

Example: In book 146, I was really surprised when Captain Kirk and the Enterprise showed up. Dragons really are no match for phasers, it turns out.

This is ludicrous enough that nobody would take it seriously, and the "book 146" part at the very beginning of the sentence informs them that what is coming next isn't real, and you avoid the backlash. Unless there's personal issues that causes someone to read your posts with animosity regardless of their content, anyway.

It's a stronger punchline to save the reveal towards the end, but the risk is greater, too, that they'll take you seriously, and then there's no laugh at all.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:32 PM   #199
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
I am 100% untrustworthy and anything I say should be assumed to be a complete fabrication
Done!
Old 05-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #200
stellie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post

Example: In book 146, I was really surprised when Captain Kirk and the Enterprise showed up. Dragons really are no match for phasers, it turns out.
What! You're saying that the dragons will live until book 146? And not even a spoiler tag!
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:08 PM   #201
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

It's pretty obvious Ereth didn't even bother reading Vol. 146, but just read the dust jacket copy. Because if he'd read the whole book, he'd know that the dragons totally had Kirk and Spock for lunch.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:50 AM   #202
Barmat

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioscience View Post
Ignore it?

There's obviously plenty of people here who haven't read the books who enjoy talking about some of the book elements as well.
So maybe we should have a 3rd thread or a 4th or a 5th.

A thread for just the book readers.

A thread for the TV viewers.

A thread for the book readers to spoil the TV viewers.

A thread for the book readers to spoil other book readers.

A thread for TV viewers to spoil book readers.

When does the madness end?
Barmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #203
BrettStah

It should be pretty straightforward - this is the "TV Show Talk" forum, and discussions about the Game of Thrones TV show should be about the TV show - but apparently it's not that simple, since tons of people keep bringing up the books every time a new thread is created about the newest episode.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #204
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettStah View Post
It should be pretty straightforward - this is the "TV Show Talk" forum, and discussions about the Game of Thrones TV show should be about the TV show - but apparently it's not that simple, since tons of people keep bringing up the books every time a new thread is created about the newest episode.
And some people spend more time arguing this point than actually contributing to the episode discussion which is truly more annoying.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:19 AM   #205
Aniketos

Maybe we can rehash this torrent stuff to just to really derail this conversation. I've kept out of the book talk stuff, but honestly, half the conversation is taken up with a meta commentary about what is and what isn't allowed. I think several off topic posts arguing about rules has got to be far more annoying than a spoilered post that can quickly be moved past. Or should we rehash the conversation about email notifications not being spoilered?

To keep this on topic, I like how Roz got beat up this episode! She's the worst!
Aniketos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #206
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniketos View Post

To keep this on topic, I like how Roz got beat up this episode! She's the worst!
I hope Roz (Ros?) continues to be the Forest Gump of the show...
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #207
LordKronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniketos View Post
Maybe we can rehash this torrent stuff to just to really derail this conversation. I've kept out of the book talk stuff, but honestly, half the conversation is taken up with a meta commentary about what is and what isn't allowed. I think several off topic posts arguing about rules has got to be far more annoying than a spoilered post that can quickly be moved past. Or should we rehash the conversation about email notifications not being spoilered?
Man, can't we just talk about whether or not we can talk about the books? Do we really need discussion about whether or not we can discuss whether or not we can talk about the book?
Old 05-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #208
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
HBO bills her as Ros. For fear of mentioning the books, what do they show? Roz or Ros? It bugs me not to be sure about stupid things.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #209
LordKronos

Quote:
Great, now you've got me imagining Forest Gump working as a prostitute.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #210
jehma

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
HBO bills her as Ros. For fear of mentioning the books, what do they show? Roz or Ros? It bugs me not to be sure about stupid things.
Ros
jehma is offline   Reply With Quote