TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #31
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
Wait, I'm confused by this. I though MoCA uses coax only?
If you are using Moca to Moca devices yes, but take the standard premiere and the XL they dont support moca,so you are converting the network on the coax, back to Ethernet for the device
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #32
BigJimOutlaw

The moca adapter connects to the Tivo by way of the ethernet port for all Tivos except the Elite/XL4, which has it built-in. So those boxes are limited to the speed of the Tivo's ethernet port, which is technically 100 mbps for the Premiere, and lower for any older hardware.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:08 AM   #33
socrplyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
The moca adapter connects to the Tivo by way of the ethernet port for all Tivos except the Elite/XL4, which has it built-in. So those boxes are limited to the speed of the Tivo's ethernet port, which is technically 100 mbps for the Premiere, and lower for any older hardware.
Actually, I believe all Premieres are limited to 100Mbps. The XL4's chipset (BCM7413) only has the capability of 2 100Mbps ports on it (I sincerely doubt they are bonding two of them for 200Mbps throughput), which means that even when connecting to MoCA or Gigabit Ethernet there is only the ability to throughput 100Mbps to the Tivo.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:26 AM   #34
haplo888

The instruction posed earlier mention using Rev A, C or D, but there have been issues with A and we should use later revisions.

Looking online I'm finding revisions F-I. Can anybody confirm that these even later revisions can also be easily converted (turning off wifi, ect.) to a MoCA router? Or should we look for a Rev C/D?

Thanks,
Haplo
haplo888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:41 AM   #35
compnurd

I have one that is an A and has no issues
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:02 AM   #36
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrplyr View Post
Actually, I believe all Premieres are limited to 100Mbps. The XL4's chipset (BCM7413) only has the capability of 2 100Mbps ports on it (I sincerely doubt they are bonding two of them for 200Mbps throughput), which means that even when connecting to MoCA or Gigabit Ethernet there is only the ability to throughput 100Mbps to the Tivo.
They must be doing something because when I measured the speed on my first Elite I could hit peak throughput speeds of 130Mb/s from the gigabit Ethernet port. But this was also when having the box deal with a bunch of streams. I have not tested anything with the new software. With the old software last year it would let you initiate too many streams and the box would reboot.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:03 AM   #37
HenryFarpolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by haplo888 View Post
The instruction posed earlier mention using Rev A, C or D, but there have been issues with A and we should use later revisions.

Looking online I'm finding revisions F-I. Can anybody confirm that these even later revisions can also be easily converted (turning off wifi, ect.) to a MoCA router? Or should we look for a Rev C/D?

Thanks,
Haplo
I have used a Rev D and am currently using a Rev F, both without issues.
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:05 AM   #38
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by haplo888 View Post

Thanks,
Haplo
The older Actiontecs are only MoCA 1.0. The newer ones are MoCA 1.1.

I think Rev. F was the first one to support MoCA 1.1.

And since MoCA 2.0 chips were just released hopefully Actiontec has a MoCA 2.0 router soon. Especially since any new TiVos next year should have MoCA 2.0 capability as well.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #39
socrplyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
They must be doing something because when I measured the speed on my first Elite I could hit peak throughput speeds of 130Mb/s from the gigabit Ethernet port. But this was also when having the box deal with a bunch of streams. I have not tested anything with the new software. With the old software last year it would let you initiate too many streams and the box would reboot.
I don't know what to tell you other than, everyone else seems to get around the 80-90 Mbps realistic max of a 100Mbps link. The 130Mpbs may be an aberration of the measurement method (transfer speeds are hard to measure realistically). Even on that one, you said that you measured 95Mbps average. That is a very high efficiency for a 100Mbps link, but not unheard of however.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:55 AM   #40
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrplyr View Post
I don't know what to tell you other than, everyone else seems to get around the 80-90 Mbps realistic max of a 100Mbps link. The 130Mpbs may be an aberration of the measurement method (transfer speeds are hard to measure realistically). Even on that one, you said that you measured 95Mbps average. That is a very high efficiency for a 100Mbps link, but not unheard of however.
Yes, peaks are not an average, but it is impossible for a 100Mb/s connection to get 130Mb/s peaks. If I measure speed from a 100BT connection I will not see any peak speeds like that.
The bandwidth monitor program measures the throughput average as well as the peaks.

I'll need to set it up again one day to see what I get with the Spring software. But I don't have as many TiVos now so I can't push it to it's limit any more.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #41
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
And since MoCA 2.0 chips were just released hopefully Actiontec has a MoCA 2.0 router soon. Especially since any new TiVos next year should have MoCA 2.0 capability as well.
Do you mean if and when they release a Series 5? Or would you expect TiVo to implement a running change to start using MoCA 2.0 chips in Series 4 (XL4) production? Have they been known to do running changes? And are production lines still running for the XL4? I thought they might be just shipping from a large initial production run.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #42
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny

Do you mean if and when they release a Series 5? Or would you expect TiVo to implement a running change to start using MoCA 2.0 chips in Series 4 (XL4) production? Have they been known to do running changes? And are production lines still running for the XL4? I thought they might be just shipping from a large initial production run.
In the S5 or Six tuner box. They probably wouldn't change an existing box. It would be in a new model.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #43
aaronwt
HD Addict

I was messing around today and setup both my Elites using MoCA. I had needed to update my DLink MoCA adpaters to the newer firmware for awhile which made them MoCA 1.1 compliant instead of the 1.0 compliance they had initially. So I figured I might as well mess around with the MoCA for now.

Just looking at the transfer speed history it seems to be the same as when connected to my gigabit Ethernet Backbone. The only issue with my setup this way is that I can only get a 100Mb/s connection to my TiVo Desktop PC since the Dlink MoCA adapters only have a 100Mb/s Ethernet port. So speeds when transferring from multiple TiVos to TiVo desktop would be much slower. But fortunately I'm not using TiVo Desktop very much any more so it's not really an issue.

So I'll leave it connected like this for awhile and maybe leave it or switch back to the GigE ports on my Elites. (On my main Elite I used the ethernet port to connect a two tuner Premiere to the network. That seems to work very well too. Same speeds)