TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
davewil58

Noisy fan on HD XL

I have had my HD XL for 2.5 years. Now, all of a sudden the fan is noisy sometimes when it runs. Does anyone have any suggestions on a replacement fan and how difficult is it to install. Thanks in advance!
davewil58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
daveak
Series 3 Novice

If you can replace a computer fan, then you can do this one - I have done it myself. I just cannot remember the size you will need - someone here will likely post the right size, but you could always just take the fan out and measure it yourself.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
dwit

Very simple to install. About the easiest repair job on a Tivo. You will need to open the Tivo up, which itself requires a torx driver(a screw driver for sort of star shaped screws). There are online guides to be found detailing the task, if you need help(recommended).

You can get the official replacement fan from weaknees.com for about $20 or so(total shipped price, last I checked).

You can find Tivo replacement fans on ebay for about $10 shipped, which people seem satisfied with.

You can also use appropriately sized computer case cooling fans from places like newegg, etc. If you go that route, make sure it is deemed(labeled, etc) to be a "quiet" or "silent" fan. Some computer fans can be very noisy.

If you do some searching here, you will be able to find threads on the topic for more details.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

If your handy see this post #5 in this thread for how to lubricate the fan. That post is for a TiVo Premiere but the technique may also apply to the TiVo HD XL.

I found it quite easy to do and made a LOT of difference. The fan in my Premiere went from raising hell to quieter than a mouse.

Good luck

Roamio Pro- $99 yearly grandfathered MSD
Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
TiVo HD- 2TB w/ PLS For Sale $350
Series 2- Just sittin around
DVR40- yours if you want it
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Joe01880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

The fan's size is a 70mm x 70mm x 25mm. It does not matter if it has 2 or 3 wires as only the red and black are used.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe01880 View Post
If your handy see this post #5 in this thread for how to lubricate the fan. That post is for a TiVo Premiere but the technique may also apply to the TiVo HD XL.

I found it quite easy to do and made a LOT of difference. The fan in my Premiere went from raising hell to quieter than a mouse.

Good luck
Yep, the TivoHD/HDXL's are similar to the Premieres in how the fan is attached to the case.
I was going to link that thread, but you beat me to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote