TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > Developers Corner
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-22-2012, 11:50 AM   #31
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Small issue found with Vidmgr

I love vidmgr and thanks for developing it!

I believe I have found an issue, or I am doing something wrong and need help rectifying it.

When I access the vidmgr app on my Tivos (and I think the issue may be that I have 5 of them listed in my config file) and select the video to push, there are 4 of them listed in the display that pops up "push to xx Tivo"- to get to the 5th Tivo, I have to scroll down and that one displays. However, if I choose that 5th one to push the video to it actually selects the 4th Tivo rather than the 5th and says "queued to push to tivo 4" and pushes the video to the 4th rather than the 5th Tivo.

If I then go back up and select the 4th tivo, it pushes to the 3rd, etc.

I went into my config and reordered them so the 5th tivo is one we never push videos to but I wanted to let everyone know. Seems once you scroll past the 4th tivo, it gets off by one.

If this was not the place to post this, please let me know.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #32
jasondeangelo

VidMGR Not Transferring Video

Hi everyone...First off, I need to thank all of you for the hard work and dedication you put into this poject. Seriously, you guys go above and beyond to make Tivo so much better! I truly can't thank you enough.

That being said (lol)...I am having a bit of trouble with VidMGR. I can see my videos without issue, but when I click on one to initiate the transfer, it tells me that it has been sent to my DVR (basement) but never shows up in my Now Playing. I've followed all the guides and played around with the settings in the vidmgr.ini file, but no luck. I can post the file if you want.
I've opened up the ports on the PC firewall. Checked the port number matches in the pyTivo config.ini and vidmgr.ini. I'm clearly missing something. Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Tivo: Series 3 HD
PC: Windows 7 32bit
jasondeangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:36 PM   #33
windracer
joined the 10k club

Are you able to initiate a push from the pyTivo web interface? Do you have the correct values in tivo_password and tivo_username in your pyTivo.conf file?

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #34
jasondeangelo

I appreciate you getting back to me so quickly!

I did solve this issue, but I can’t tell you exactly what it was that I did. I tried transferring it through the pytivo web interface, and it worked without issue. I did notice, as you mentioned, that I did not have my username and password set in the config. I added that, but it still did not work…even though I did restart pytivo. I let it sit for a bit, went back, restarted pytivo again, and magically I was able to transfer the video within Tivo. Again, not sure what I did, but it works. However, I have another issue now…

While the video was transferring, I tried to play it. It gave me some sort of message that “you cannot play this until the transfer is complete, and it will take X hours, etc.”. Well, it only took 20 mins. When it was complete, I was able to play it. Isn’t the whole point of vidmgr to play while it is transferring? I’m clearly missing some sort of setting. Could this be an issue with how the file was originally transcoded? It’s an .avi.
Also, and this is just curious to me…when I click on the “info” button of the transferred video, there is a message “Due to policy set by the copyright holder, this recording: Cannot be transferred to VCR, DVD, or any other media device. To learn more, visit tivo...” Why/how on earth does Tivo know the source of this file? It happens to be legit, but still… Is it just going by the “name” of the file/movie? Could that be the issue with not being able to stream as it copies?

Again, thank you so much for all your help!
Old 05-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #35
jasondeangelo

UPDATE: Just tried another video. .MPG this time. This time I wrote down the full message: “This program is downloading. It cannot be played now because the download speed is not fast enough or not enough video has been received. Please try to play this program again after 4 hours, 5 minutes have passed.”

The transfer is already 10 mins down, and that estimated time continues to decrease, and is obviously inaccurate.

Thanks again, everyone!
Old 05-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #36
jasondeangelo

UPDATE 2: I have to apologize. The second file was a .mkv file. I just tried an .mpg and it worked! Meaning, I can play it as it copies (streams). Can you guys explain to me what this exactly means? Do I need to convert all my files to .mpg? I’m hoping not!
Old 05-23-2012, 03:04 PM   #37
windracer
joined the 10k club

I've seen that message when downloading content from Amazon, but never from pyTivo. I think it has something to do with how the TiVo is calculating the transfer speed. Your .mpg file doesn't need to be transcoded so it will copy faster than the .mkv so that's probably why you're seeing that. What's your network setup like?

As for the copyright notice, that's just the generic message TiVo puts on content that cannot be transferred (copy protection flag). It has nothing to do with the name of the file or its content, so don't worry about that. I forget the exact criteria that will cause a pyTivo-transferred video to exhibit this, but I've seen it in the past and it's not really a big deal.

|
Old 05-24-2012, 01:42 AM   #38
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondeangelo View Post
Isn’t the whole point of vidmgr to play while it is transferring?
No, it's not. The point of VidMGR is to initiate "pushes", a special type of transfer, from the TiVo rather than from a browser. If your goal is to watch videos while they're transferring, then you should use the standard pyTivo "pull" interface at the bottom of the Now Playing list. You don't need VidMGR for that. (Alternatively, you could use HME/VLC and/or Streambaby.)

Quote:
Also, and this is just curious to me…when I click on the “info” button of the transferred video, there is a message “Due to policy set by the copyright holder [etc.]
TiVo Inc. attaches this absurd notice to everything transferred via push, quite apart from any expressed wish of any copyright holders. The upshot of it is that you can't transfer the video back out (although you can stream it, Premiere-to-Premiere). You can, again, avoid this issue by using pull rather than push.

Quote:
Could that be the issue with not being able to [play] as it copies?
No.

Because push is based on the TiVoCast system (aka Video on Demand podcasts), which (depending on your Internet speed, etc.) can come in very slowly, TiVo decided not to allow instant playback unless the stream is coming in at a real-time playable rate -- to, I suppose, "improve the user experience", instead of presenting users with the equivalent of "buffering" messages.

Now, in the case of a pyTivo transfer, the stream generally is coming in at an acceptable rate, but the TiVo thinks it's running slow, because pyTivo has to give the size beforehand, and when it's transcoding, it has to overestimate -- since, if it underestimated, the video would be automatically deleted once it exceeded the given size, because the TiVo didn't clear enough disk space for it.

Certain types of files don't require transcoding: MPEG-2 program streams (as you discovered), h.264 MP4 files, and a subset of VC-1 WMV's. In this case, pyTivo can give the exact size, so you won't get the warning message, because the TiVo can see that the file is coming in as expected.

The "download speed is not fast enough" message doesn't come up with pulls, because the TiVo knows they originate from the LAN, so it doesn't feel the need to improve the user experience. (Note that pulls can only pass MPEG-2 program streams without transcoding, but that doesn't matter for purposes of avoiding the blocking.)

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #39
jasondeangelo

Thanks so much!!!! You both have been so helpful! I really apprecaite it.
Also, again, thanks for all your hard work.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:42 PM   #40
lrhorer

To add a bit to William's post:

1. Transcoding speed will make a big difference to how long the TiVo buffers the material. If no transcoding is done, the buffering time may be significantly decreased or eliminated. A faster processor on the server can make a significant difference if transcoding is being done.

2. It's a trade-off between initial buffering and buffering pauses during playback. With a pull, one may immediately start playing the program, but may then experience numerous pauses during playback, especially if the video bit rate is very high or the video is 720p. OTOH, when pushing, the amount of time spent pre-buffering the video should be very similar to the amount of time spent pausing during a pull.

3. Pushing h.264 content should eliminate any buffering. H.264 coding in a .mp4 container transfers more than 3 times faster than the same content coded as .mpg on an S3 and more than 4 times faster on a THD. I have never encountered the buffering message when pushing h.264 content.

4. The initial buffering estimates are usually quite far off. If one waits a minute or two before attempting to play, the estimated time required to complete buffering is much more accurate and much lower than the initial estimate.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:40 AM   #41
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
No, it's not. The point of VidMGR is to initiate "pushes", a special type of transfer, from the TiVo rather than from a browser. If your goal is to watch videos while they're transferring, then you should use the standard pyTivo "pull" interface at the bottom of the Now Playing list.
Well, I wouldn't quite put it like that. Watching videos while they are transferring with a pull is no problem. There may be a brief delay before one can start viewing, is all, when transferring high bit rate or 720p .mpg files. Personally I find this less annoying than pauses while in the middle of viewing the material. I eliminate both, however, by recoding everything to h.264 before storing it on the hard drive.

Quote:
Now, in the case of a pyTivo transfer, the stream generally is coming in at an acceptable rate
Well, that depends. Even with an S3, 720p content just does not transfer fast enough if it is coded as .mpg, and anything whose average bit rate exceeds 17 Mbps also generally does not transfer quite fast enough if it is coded as .mpg. With the THD, the issue is even worse.

Quote:
Certain types of files don't require transcoding: MPEG-2 program streams (as you discovered), h.264 MP4 files, and a subset of VC-1 WMV's. In this case, pyTivo can give the exact size, so you won't get the warning message, because the TiVo can see that the file is coming in as expected.
Again, that's not always true. Indeed, with most .mpg pushes, I get at least a minute or two of buffering before the program will start, even if I have both tuners disabled. Mp4 pushes are another matter, and along with the space savings, that is why I recode all my videos to h.264 in a .mp4 container.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #42
johnh123

Anyone using vidmgr on a box in the tivo beta program? PMs welcome.
johnh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:24 AM   #43
jcthorne

From prior experience, check the mind server settings in pytivo....

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #44
markmarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Here are my init scripts for pyTivo and HME for Python
Can't quite get this to work; vidmgr doesn't appear in 'Music, Photos & Showcases'.
I can successfully run vidmgr with these console commands:
  1. /usr/share/pyTivo/pyTivo.py &
  2. cd /usr/share/pyhme
  3. ./start.py &
Note that if I leave out cd then start.py doesn't pick up the config.ini in /usr/share/pyhme; instead it appears as though he is running thru a default configuration.

Code:
root@tivo-fs:/usr# find . -name "config.ini"
./share/pyhme/config.ini
./bin/kmttg/config.ini
root@tivo-fs:/usr#
All this about config.ini may be a red herring, just thought I'd mention it in case it's a clue.

There's a few things I'm not clear on in your scripts (well, more than a few but these seem to be setup related):
  1. both refer to mountnfs.sh script re path; I've left the path unaltered
  2. both scripts 'Read configuration variable file if it is present'; there is no such dir on my system

/var/log/pyTivo.log & /var/log/pyhme.log & /var/log/pyhme.err do not exist. Neither do /var/run/pyHME.pid or /var/run/pyTivo.pid.

I edited /etc/insserv.conf to add:
Code:
$pyTivo         pyTivo
I've rechecked the installation of all 4 scripts and see nothing left out, but clearly something's not right. A clue would be much appreciated!
markmarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #45
windracer
joined the 10k club

I don't know about lrhorer's init scripts, but here are mine (for Ubuntu, you'll need to change your paths accordingly where necessary):

pytivo
Code:
#!/bin/bash
### INIT INFO
# Provides: pytivo
# Short-description: pyTivo server
# Description: Start and stop the pyTivo server.
### END INIT INFO

RETVAL=0

. /lib/lsb/init-functions

start() {
        log_daemon_msg "Starting pyTivo server" "pytivo"
        pgrep -f pyTivo.py > /dev/null
        RETVAL=$?
        [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && echo "pyTivo already running: Exiting" &&
exit 1

# this call actually starts pyTivo.
        /usr/bin/python /usr/local/tivo/pyTivo/pyTivo.py > /var/log/pytivo.log 2>&1 &
        # sleep for 1 second, giving the script time to start up
        sleep 1
        pgrep -f pyTivo.py > /dev/null
        RETVAL=$?
        log_end_msg $RETVAL
        return $RETVAL
}

stop() {
        log_daemon_msg "Stopping pyTivo server" "pytivo"
        pkill -f pyTivo.py > /dev/null
        RETVAL=$?
        log_end_msg $RETVAL
        return $RETVAL
}

# See how we were called.
case "$1" in
start)
        start
        ;;
stop)
        stop
        ;;
restart|reload)
        stop
        sleep 3
        start
        RETVAL=$?
        ;;
*)
        echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart}"
        exit 1
        esac
        exit $RETVAL
pyhme
Code:
#! /bin/sh
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          pyhme
# Short-Description: HME for Python Framework
# Description:       Starts/Stops/Restarts the pyhme daemon
### END INIT INFO

set -e

DESC=pyhme

# Gracefully exit if the package has been removed.
test -x $DAEMON || exit 0

d_start() {
    cd /etc/tivo/pyhme
    /etc/tivo/pyhme/start.py > /var/log/pyhme.log 2>&1 &
}

d_stop() {
    pkill -f start.py
}

case "$1" in
  start)
        echo -n "Starting $DESC"
        d_start
        echo "."
        ;;
  stop)
        echo -n "Stopping $DESC"
        d_stop
        echo "."
        ;;
  restart|force-reload)
        echo -n "Restarting $DESC"
        d_stop
        sleep 2
        d_start
        echo "."
        ;;
  *)
        echo "Usage: pyhme {start|stop|restart|force-reload}" >&2
        exit 3
        ;;
esac

exit 0

|
Old 06-17-2012, 05:50 AM   #46
markmarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
I don't know about lrhorer's init scripts, but here are mine (for Ubuntu, you'll need to change your paths accordingly where necessary):
Thanks very much! BTW I'm running Debian, not Ubuntu. Are you running Debian?
Old 06-17-2012, 06:45 AM   #47
markmarz

Quote:
I don't know about lrhorer's init scripts, but here are mine ...
Perfect! I'm able to run these scripts while root in /etc/init.d, the daemons are running and vidmgr looks great.

But on reboot the daemons are not running. Afraid I'm pretty ignorant about linux .. is there something obvious that needs to be stated for a newbie? I don't fully understand how to get daemons running on boot re /etc/init.d and so on.

BTW as part of lrhorer's setup, I did edit /etc/insserv.conf to add:
Code:
$pyTivo         pyTivo
Should that remain in /etc/insserv.conf and is there something analogous for your scripts?
Old 06-17-2012, 08:52 AM   #48
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmarz View Post
Thanks very much! BTW I'm running Debian, not Ubuntu. Are you running Debian?
I'm running Ubuntu (Precise) but since it's Debian based ...

Quote:
Perfect! I'm able to run these scripts while root in /etc/init.d, the daemons are running and vidmgr looks great.
Great!

Quote:
But on reboot the daemons are not running. Afraid I'm pretty ignorant about linux .. is there something obvious that needs to be stated for a newbie?
To add the init scripts to boot, I do this:

$ sudo update-rc.d pytivo defaults
$ sudo update-rc.d pyhme defaults

Those two commands will add the start/stop links to your init.d scripts under the default runlevels. If you have it installed on your system, you can also use sysv-rc-conf to customize which services start at which runlevels.

Quote:
Should that remain in /etc/insserv.conf and is there something analogous for your scripts?
I've never touched insserv.conf.

|
Old 06-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #49
jbernardis

I run my programs on my NAS which is debian based and I use the same scripts and procedures as windracer. Without close inspection they appear to be identical - apparently these scripts have made the rounds :-)
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner

jbernardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:32 AM   #50
markmarz

Quote:
To add the init scripts to boot, I do this:

Both of these commands give complaints, but pytivo does come up on reboot; pyhme does not. Took a look with sysv-rc-conf and saw only pytivo was activated for runlevels 2-5. I activated pyhme with sysv-rc-conf, but it didn't fix it.

After boot, with pytivo daemon running & pyhme not, I started pyhme manually and vidmgr is happy.

Here's the errors reported by update-rc.d pytivo defaults; in my naive interpretation it's due to not specifying every possible invoke argument in the switch statement which I assumed was okay else you'd have problems.
Code:
root@tivo-fs:/etc/init.d#  update-rc.d pytivo defaults
update-rc.d: using dependency based boot sequencing
insserv: warning: script 'K01pytivo' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: Script pyhme is broken: incomplete LSB comment.
insserv: missing `Required-Start:' entry: please add even if empty.
insserv: missing `Required-Stop:'  entry: please add even if empty.
insserv: missing `Default-Start:'  entry: please add even if empty.
insserv: missing `Default-Stop:'   entry: please add even if empty.
insserv: warning: script 'pytivo' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: Default-Start undefined, assuming empty start runlevel(s) for script `pyhme'
insserv: Default-Stop  undefined, assuming empty stop  runlevel(s) for script `pyhme'
root@tivo-fs:/etc/init.d#
Here's the errors reported by update-rc.d pyhme defaults; same naive interpretation
Code:
root@tivo-fs:/etc/init.d#  update-rc.d pyhme defaults
insserv: Default-Start undefined, assuming empty start runlevel(s) for script `pyhme'
insserv: Default-Stop  undefined, assuming empty stop  runlevel(s) for script `pyhme'
I'm guessing maybe pyhme isn't activated because of the detected 'errors' in pytivo; this is the last error msg from update-rc.d pyhme defaults:
Code:

Quote:
I've removed the line I had added earlier.

I'll go ahead and start screwing with the scripts but I'll probably get myself in trouble since I don't know the language. Hoping that there's something obvious to you; figure there must be or you'd have similar problems.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #51
markmarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardis View Post
I run my programs on my NAS which is debian based and I use the same scripts and procedures as windracer. Without close inspection they appear to be identical - apparently these scripts have made the rounds :-)
As if I needed more evidence, this nails it that I must be doing something wrong!
Old 06-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #52
markmarz

Smile

I thought I'd verify that pytivo daemon was running & pyhme daemon not after reboot, so I rebooted again.

This time both daemons are running, vidmgr is happy.

Okay, then.

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #53
windracer
joined the 10k club

It might have been that line in insserv.conf. Anyway, glad it's all working for you!

|
Old 06-18-2012, 01:06 AM   #54
lrhorer

Quote:
Can't quite get this to work; vidmgr doesn't appear in 'Music, Photos & Showcases'.
I can successfully run vidmgr with these console commands:
  1. /usr/share/pyTivo/pyTivo.py &
  2. cd /usr/share/pyhme
  3. ./start.py &
Note that if I leave out cd then start.py doesn't pick up the config.ini in /usr/share/pyhme; instead it appears as though he is running thru a default configuration.
That may well be true. Jeff can chime in with more details, I expect. Note the script I use does do an explicit

Code:
RUNDIR=/usr/share/pyhme
cd $RUNDIR
What happens if you run the run scripts directly by typing /usr/share/pyTivo/pyTivo and /usr/share/pyhme/pyHME?

Quote:
Code:
root@tivo-fs:/usr# find . -name "config.ini"
./share/pyhme/config.ini
./bin/kmttg/config.ini
root@tivo-fs:/usr#
Just FYI, the double quotes in the find statement are not necessary unless there are special characters (like the wildcard character * or a space) in the name being sought. In this case `find . -name config.ini` is just fine. The config.ini file in /usr/bin/kmttg is not relevant to any issues you may have here.

Quote:
There's a few things I'm not clear on in your scripts (well, more than a few but these seem to be setup related):

1. both refer to mountnfs.sh script re path; I've left the path unaltered
Well, that is a comment that is in the System V skeleton file, but it is a good idea to leave it there. What it is saying is that (in a default Debian system) /var is not properly available for reading and writing until after the mountfs.sh script is run during boot. Any application writing to /var should not be initialized until after mountfs.sh is run and should be shut down before /var is umounted. If the System V headers are intact and the system is correctly using dependency based booting, this will automatically be addressed properly, but it is a good idea to keep the note handy so one correctly assigns the dependencies. This is salient to the majority of daemons, because daemons usually write either to /var/log/syslog or to their own file in /var/log.

Quote:
2. both scripts 'Read configuration variable file if it is present'; there is no such dir on my system
Um, I'm just about absolutely certain there is a /etc/default directory on your system. Debian would have an exceedingly hard time running without it. If you mean no /etc/default/phyHME or /etc/default/pyTivo file, then that's right, there won't be. Again, this is a comment from the skeleton file. (You can take a look at the skeleton at /etc/init.d/skeleton. It is intended as a template for all init files in /etc/init.d.) If no such file as $NAME exists in /etc/default, nothing happens, either good or bad. If it does exist, then it is sourced as part of the init script. Any commands, variables, whatever from the named file are inserted into the script at that point. Since the file does not exist, nothing gets inserted. It's an easy and straightforward way to keep the init files uniform across many installations and invariant from release to release while at the same time allowing for great variability of the init configurations both from installation to installation and in general as time passes.

For more info, look up "dependency based booting in Linux".

Quote:
/var/log/pyTivo.log & /var/log/pyhme.log & /var/log/pyhme.err do not exist. Neither do /var/run/pyHME.pid or /var/run/pyTivo.pid.
They won't until the scripts run successfully. The .pid files are created near the bottom of each $NAME run file. You can see the next to last line is

Code:
echo $! > $PIDFILE
That writes the PID of the application to the /var/run/pyTivo.pid or /var/run/pyHME.pid file, as the case may be. The system variable "$!" contains the PID of the most recently run command in the script. The variable $PIDFILE is assigned at the top of each script, and is the name of the file where the PID of the daemon is kept.

The .log and .err files are created when the applications write to what would normally be stdout and stderr. These streams are re-directed by the run scripts when nohup is invoked. (Actually, the .err file redirection is disabled in the scripts I posted.)

Quote:
I edited /etc/insserv.conf to add:
Code:
$pyTivo         pyTivo
That registers pyTivo as a service. Note the two lines near the top of the pyHME init script:

Code:
# Required-Start:    $remote_fs $syslog $network $pyTivo
# Required-Stop:     $remote_fs $syslog $network $pyTivo
This insures that the specified services remote_fs, syslog, network, and pyTivo have had their init scripts run at boot time before pyHME is started and that in this case pyHME is stopped before those same four services are stopped whenever a runlevel is entered that shuts down any or all of those services. Typically this would be during shutdown or perhaps when dropping to single user mode. Usually, any dependent daemons are shut down before the services upon which they depend are shut down, but there can be exceptions. An obvious one is where an init script does not start a daemon, but rather initializes some utility that then terminates. In that case, the Required-Stop line would have noting in it beyond the colon. The two lines labeled Default-Start and Default-Stop contain the runlevels where the scripts are started and stopped. Usually, unless the service is a system default, the union of the two lines will contain every number from 0 - 6. There should never be a duplicate between the two. If the service is a system default, then the Default-Start line will have an S in it and the Default-Stop line will be empty. This means the service is started only at boot time, before any runlevel is entered.

In any case, to simplify, registering pyTivo as a service and then specifying it as a Required-Start and Required-Stop makes sure the update-rc.d utility creates the init links so that pyTivo is started before those scripts are run and that they are stopped cleanly before pyTivo is shut down. I'm not sure, strictly speaking, that it would cause a huge problem if vidmgr or jukebox tried to do something with pyTivo not loaded, but the action would most certainly fail. Other HME for Python apps could not care less.

Quote:
I've rechecked the installation of all 4 scripts and see nothing left out, but clearly something's not right. A clue would be much appreciated!
As I mentioned above, with both utilities unloaded, what happens if you run the run files directly? If they both work, then unload them again and run the init files, first with `/etc/init.d/<utility> start` and then with `/etc/init.d/<utility> stop`.

Check the files permissions.

Last edited by lrhorer : 06-18-2012 at 03:01 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:18 AM   #55
lrhorer

Quote:
Those are not valid System V dependency-based init scripts, I'm afraid. At a bare minimum, every System V init script is required to have the following, with each line modified to fit the script parameters:

Code:
#! /bin/sh
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          skeleton
# Required-Start:    $remote_fs $syslog
# Required-Stop:     $remote_fs $syslog
# Default-Start:     2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop:      0 1 6
# Short-Description: Example initscript
# Description:       This file should be used to construct scripts to be
#                    placed in /etc/init.d.
### END INIT INFO

# Author: Foo Bar <foobar@baz.org>
#
# Please remove the "Author" lines above and replace them
# with your own name if you copy and modify this script.
Without this header, insserv cannot proplerly assign the link names in the /etc/rcX.d directories. Non-dependency based booting can live without the headers, but non-dep booting can get very manual and can easily wind up with dependency conflicts if one is not very careful.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:25 AM   #56
lrhorer

Quote:
He is running Debian. After he logs in (assuming he does not log in as root) he can simply issue the `su` command to assume the mantle of root. Sudo is then not necessary. In a secure environment, disabling root logins, especially via ssh, is not really necessary. Preventing a su to root is blankly stupid, if you ask me. It's one of the things I really dislike about Ubuntu. Let the sysadmin decide what security is appropriate. The distro maintainers should keep their paternalistic noses out of it. [/rant]

Quote:
It may not be absolutely necessary in this case, but since vidmgr and jukebox both depend on pyTivo being loaded, I prefer to make sure pyTivo is running before loading HME for Python and that HME for Python is stopped cleanly before pyTivo is shut down. With dependency-based booting, by far the best way to insure that is to register the service (in this case pyTivo) upon which the dependent apps depend.

Last edited by lrhorer : 06-18-2012 at 01:33 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:14 AM   #57
lrhorer

Quote:
Both of these commands give complaints, but pytivo does come up on reboot; pyhme does not. Took a look with sysv-rc-conf
I definitely do not recommend the use of sysv-rc-conf for managing any dependency based System V distro. It's probably OK to view it, but I would let insserv manage it.

Quote:
and saw only pytivo was activated for runlevels 2-5. I activated pyhme with sysv-rc-conf, but it didn't fix it.
Well, look at the errors, if any, from the scripts as I mentioned. I definitely do not recommend using non-compliant init scripts, but of course it is your system, not mine.

Quote:
Here's the errors reported by update-rc.d pytivo defaults
I suggest you read through the man page for update-rc.d and insserv.

Quote:
in my naive interpretation it's due to not specifying every possible invoke argument in the switch statement which I assumed was okay else you'd have problems.
No. The errors you encountered are due to the missing LSB tags at the top of the init headers in the init scripts. The Required-Start, Required-Stop, Default-Start and Default-Stop tags are required to be there, even if they are blank beyond the colons. Failure to have the proper tags will likely result in the links being named inappropriately, which in turn may cause the daemons to fail.

Code:
root@tivo-fs:/etc/init.d#  update-rc.d pytivo defaults
Those are all errors due to insserv not knowing what to do with the scripts. This will in turn cause the links to either be wrong or not be created at all. Take a look in /etc/rc2.d (runlevel 2, which is the default boot runlevel for Debian), for example:

Code:
RAID-Server:/etc/rc2.d# ll
total 24
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 Dec 25 09:22 .
drwxr-xr-x 165 root root 16384 Jun 17 16:29 ..
-rw-r--r--   1 root root   677 Dec 31  2010 README
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    17 May 30  2011 S01dirmngr -> ../init.d/dirmngr
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    15 Nov 24  2011 S01ncidd -> ../init.d/ncidd
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    17 May 30  2011 S01netperf -> ../init.d/netperf
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    18 Nov 24  2011 S01sip2ncid -> ../init.d/sip2ncid
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    14 May 30  2011 S01sudo -> ../init.d/sudo
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    17 May 30  2011 S02rsyslog -> ../init.d/rsyslog
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    17 May 30  2011 S03apache2 -> ../init.d/apache2
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    15 May 30  2011 S04acpid -> ../init.d/acpid
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    17 May 30  2011 S04anacron -> ../init.d/anacron
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    13 May 30  2011 S04atd -> ../init.d/atd
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    14 May 30  2011 S04atop -> ../init.d/atop
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    14 May 30  2011 S04cron -> ../init.d/cron
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    14 May 30  2011 S04dbus -> ../init.d/dbus
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    15 May 30  2011 S04exim4 -> ../init.d/exim4
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    17 May 30  2011 S04galleon -> ../init.d/galleon
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    17 May 30  2011 S04hddtemp -> ../init.d/hddtemp
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    22 May 30  2011 S04hotkey-setup -> ../init.d/hotkey-setup
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    25 Dec 25 09:22 S04isc-dhcp-server -> ../init.d/isc-dhcp-server
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    20 May 30  2011 S04kerneloops -> ../init.d/kerneloops
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    14 May 30  2011 S04lirc -> ../init.d/lirc
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    14 May 30  2011 S04lisa -> ../init.d/lisa
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    21 May 30  2011 S04loadcpufreq -> ../init.d/loadcpufreq
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    15 May 30  2011 S04mdadm -> ../init.d/mdadm
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    18 May 30  2011 S04netatalk -> ../init.d/netatalk
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    13 May 30  2011 S04ntp -> ../init.d/ntp
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    13 May 30  2011 S04nut -> ../init.d/nut
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    23 May 30  2011 S04openbsd-inetd -> ../init.d/openbsd-inetd
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    25 May 30  2011 S04policycoreutils -> ../init.d/policycoreutils
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    19 May 30  2011 S04pppstatus -> ../init.d/pppstatus
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    16 May 30  2011 S04pyTivo -> ../init.d/pyTivo
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    15 May 30  2011 S04rsync -> ../init.d/rsync
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    18 May 30  2011 S04sendmail -> ../init.d/sendmail
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    17 May 30  2011 S04sensord -> ../init.d/sensord
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    23 May 30  2011 S04smartmontools -> ../init.d/smartmontools
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    27 May 30  2011 S04speech-dispatcher -> ../init.d/speech-dispatcher
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    13 May 30  2011 S04ssh -> ../init.d/ssh
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    17 May 30  2011 S04sysstat -> ../init.d/sysstat
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    19 Dec 25 09:22 S04tftpd-hpa -> ../init.d/tftpd-hpa
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    17 May 30  2011 S04winbind -> ../init.d/winbind
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    22 May 30  2011 S05avahi-daemon -> ../init.d/avahi-daemon
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    19 May 30  2011 S05bluetooth -> ../init.d/bluetooth
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    22 May 30  2011 S05cpufrequtils -> ../init.d/cpufrequtils
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    16 May 30  2011 S05dhcdbd -> ../init.d/dhcdbd
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    19 May 30  2011 S05fetchmail -> ../init.d/fetchmail
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    13 May 30  2011 S05hal -> ../init.d/hal
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    25 May 30  2011 S05network-manager -> ../init.d/network-manager
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    20 May 30  2011 S05pulseaudio -> ../init.d/pulseaudio
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    15 May 30  2011 S05pyHME -> ../init.d/pyHME
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    17 May 30  2011 S06openvpn -> ../init.d/openvpn
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    14 May 30  2011 S07cups -> ../init.d/cups
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    13 May 30  2011 S07gdm -> ../init.d/gdm
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    13 May 30  2011 S07kdm -> ../init.d/kdm
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    18 May 30  2011 S08bootlogs -> ../init.d/bootlogs
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    15 May 30  2011 S08samba -> ../init.d/samba
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    17 May 30  2011 S15portmap -> ../init.d/portmap
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    20 May 30  2011 S16nfs-common -> ../init.d/nfs-common
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    27 May 30  2011 S17nfs-kernel-server -> ../init.d/nfs-kernel-server
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    18 May 30  2011 S18rc.local -> ../init.d/rc.local
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    19 May 30  2011 S18rmnologin -> ../init.d/rmnologin
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    23 May 30  2011 S18stop-bootlogd -> ../init.d/stop-bootlogd
The links in each runlevel are asserted in alphabetic order. Insserv has assigned pyTivo the name S04pyTivo, which means it will run prior to pyHME which has been assigned the name S05pyHME. Init will run the scripts with a "start" parameter whenever entering any runlevel from a runlevel where the script is run with a "stop", indicated by the name being KxxpyTivo. In those directories, pyTivo will have a higher number with the K prefix, so it is killed after pyHME.

Quote:
I'm guessing maybe pyhme isn't activated because of the detected 'errors' in pytivo; this is the last error msg from update-rc.d pyhme defaults:
Code:
No. Other than assigning the link names in proper order, insserv doesn't really care what pyTivo does. It's possible running HME for Python before pyTivo is loaded will jam it up, but I'm not sure. If not, then simply having an error when running insserv won't stop it from coming up. If the links don't exist at all, though, then of course it won't ever come up. Ditto if there are errors in the scripts themselves.

The first task is going to be making sure the scripts work at all. Then we can worry about insserv.

Quote:
I've removed the line I had added earlier.
It probably won't hurt if it isn't there at this point. It definitely will never hurt if it is there, as long as the pyTivo header is correct. The body of the init script itself could be a fracking mess, and insserv would never know it.

Quote:
I'll go ahead and start screwing with the scripts but I'll probably get myself in trouble since I don't know the language. Hoping that there's something obvious to you; figure there must be or you'd have similar problems.
I strongly suspect his system is not doing dependency based booting. It may have an older init version, or else he has legacy boot ordering enabled. Insserv will have dependency based booting disabled if there is a file named .legacy-bootordering in the /etc/init.d diretory. Absent that file, insserv will implement a boot order based upon the fields in the init script headers.

Once again, see the man pages for update-rd.d and insserv.

Last edited by lrhorer : 06-18-2012 at 03:30 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:24 AM   #58
lrhorer

Quote:
As if I needed more evidence, this nails it that I must be doing something wrong!
Well, not exactly. Their systems are not the same as yours.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:29 AM   #59
lrhorer

Quote:
It might have been that line in insserv.conf. Anyway, glad it's all working for you!
No, insserv.conf is only referenced when insserv is run, and that is only when update-rc.d is run. This will, however, happen whenever he upgrades or adds any boot-time system utilities, so I really suggest he gets his boot scripts straightened out. It could save him a lot of grief in the future. Non-dependency based booting is a lot less strict than dependency based booting, but it is also a great deal frailer and a lot harder to maintain.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:09 AM   #60
markmarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
No, insserv.conf is only referenced when insserv is run, and that is only when update-rc.d is run. This will, however, happen whenever he upgrades or adds any boot-time system utilities, so I really suggest he gets his boot scripts straightened out. It could save him a lot of grief in the future. Non-dependency based booting is a lot less strict than dependency based booting, but it is also a great deal frailer and a lot harder to maintain.
Thanks for the detailed lessons; I'll go back to your dependency based booting code when I get a chance. I see the advantages and it'd be good to understand. Meantime it's all working, fragile though it may be. Thanks again to you & all!