TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
Brad Bishop

Like SDV / Hate the Tuning Adapter

I'm with Charter and this is really just a complaint.

I think SDV is a great idea. More channels in less bandwidth. No need to broadcast channels no one is watching.

The Tuning Adapter is such a pain, though - at least with Charter.

When they first hooked it up they just kept swapping through tuning adapters across 2 days until they got one to work (about 10 of them).

Then they finally found one and, if it loses contact with the head-end it can take it a while to reconnect. I actually put it on it's on UPS just to try to prevent this.

Well, yesterday they were working on the cable and for some reason my TA got knocked out. I'm on day 2 now of trying to get the thing reconnected and get my channels back.

I have a service call setup for tomorrow morning (just adding to the pain) and I know what they're going to do: Swap out tuning adapters until one takes.

They won't look at, nor even seem to be concerned about, the fact that they go through 10 of them and only one connects so maybe, just maybe, there's something else in play here.. Nope... Just keep swapping them out until one takes.

It's incredibly frustrating.

If I could I'd just go DirecTV - too many trees in the way, though.
Brad Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
ADG
Allan

I use Cablevision (Optimum). I have two S3's and an Elite. One of the S3's has had a tuning adapter hooked up for a year or so and I refuse to use it on either of the other units - it's simply unreliable. When it works it's great, but about once a month or so the unit loses contact or reboots (the front light flashes rapidly) and Cablevision needs to send it a signal and then the tivo needs to be rebooted in order for it to connect again. I've tried several adapters and all have exactly the same issue. The Elite is my "primary" unit and the S3's are essentially backups. The technology simply isn't reliable enough to be used on my primary tivo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
Johnwashere

I had a lot of issues the first few months I had mine setup with Time Warner. They have been doing pretty well on my HD and premiere lately. Ive had mine for over a year and about every couple months I just have to restart my TA to work properly. Guess Im just lucky.
Johnwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
Brad Bishop

Normally the last thing I want to do is to restart it. For me, once it loses connection it's pretty much gone for the better part of a day OR until a service truck rolls and they start swapping them out.

I just don't get how this would be considered normal (keep swapping them out - eventually one will take) without them looking a little deeper to see why it's not working. The TA is little more (or perhaps better put: just a little less) than a cable modem. Cable modems are reliable. Why can't the tuning adapter be just as reliable? Why, if I have a cable modem, can't I just have the TiVo communicate with their servers through that? I know it's not an option and there was some talk about it a few years back but why it wasn't the primary way it this kind of stuff was to be handled is beyond me.

It just all seems:
- ill conceived
- poorly implemented
- plagued with problems and no one seems to care (somehow the boxes from the cable companies can communicate flawlessly with the nodes but TAs can't)
Old 05-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #5
stlbluesfan74
Mike

Man, this is exactly what I don't want to hear. I just recently kicked Directv to the curb and will be making the switch to Charter next week.
stlbluesfan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
Brad Bishop

Figured it out:

- The connector in the wall plate seemed to have been bad.
- When putting the wall plate back on it seemed to kink the cable just enough to make it so that the TA wouldn't connect (it wasn't really a kind but more of a fairly tight bend - I wouldn't have normally thought that it would have been a problem)
- found a few cables that the TA just would not work with.

Now it pops up every time within 3-5mins (still silly slow but really consistent).

Hopefully this will help others.

Appointment cancelled!

My thoughts: The TA is much too sensitive.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
rainwater

Whatever you do, never use the cables supplied by Charter with the tuning adapters. In two different locations, I've seen issues with those white cables that come with the adapter. But using any decent cable easily fixed connections issues.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote