TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #31
nmiller855

The first many times, it would not search for a signal so I just kept trying. I was finally able to get past that but I still don't have most of the local channels. I spent today moving season's passes on local channels to my smaller unit & all the other channels to the bigger one so I don't really care if I ever get them back. I'm lucky because I have extra units. I would be much more upset it that were my only unit.
nmiller855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:19 AM   #32
notanonymus

It sure is suspicious seeing all these systems go at once...I'm pretty suspicious by nature, but putting that aside for the moment, it does appear that for some reason or another, malicious or by mistake, a lot of fully legal machines are not self-updating as they should to get the latest software version. One of these was mine!...and it looks like that misery loved company...

What I have learned from looking here and there in the web, and in some emails with techs, is that these first gen Tivos NEED to be running at least version 3.5c, and preferably 3.5d, the latest version. I got mine runing with some effort a few days ago by building a new hard-drive around an ISO downlaod InstantCake, from DVRupgrade.com. Getting the download was easy, but moving it over the drive was not so easily done. It took having an ATA style optical drive and the target hard drive on the same harness.....and that took literally rebuilding one of the computers here with old hardware...even had to go asking around for an old optical drive to acomplish the task. I suggest purchasing a NEW drive pre-configured from DVRupgrade or WeakKnees, ready to install...they are realy pretty easy to exchange in the old Tivo boxes... The new program acted pretty bad for a while...Initializing took longer than I expected....It got to a place where commands from the remote were taking a minute to 70 seconds to be acted on....eventually I rebooted 4 times, and reset all the parameters, and now it is working as designed....except for one thing...I do not yet have the correct phone number from DirecTV to enter into the Tivo, but for now it is working, and as soon as I get that number I'll program it in, and make sure it functions like "ET" in the movie of that same name...that it gets instructions to "Phone Home"!

Bottom line, newest version of how the menu contents is broadcast by DirecTV requires 3.5c or 3.5d. Also it seems that many boxes are failing to correctly order and receive their version updates, meaning we have to make that happen ourselves, either by somehow forcing a download VIA DirecTV system, or going around them and getting a fresh load from a reputable and reliable vendor. Doing your own image requires a bit of expert operation of vintage computer hardware, so I suggest just ordering a loaded drive and installing it. Some of these receivers are 10 years old, and the original drives are near shot from heavy use anyway, so why not get a fresh one? The cost is reasonable and the fix seems to work.....I have yet to be convinced that the Tivo will phone in properly and continue to update itself as it should, but that knowledge will come with time after I get the phone programed and I see a software release change at some time in the future. During all of my troubles, DirecTV was as good a useless...were it not for a few forums and a few aftermarket vendors with the answers, I would have had to spend a LOT of extra money for a new Tivo, enhanced digital services to feed it, and more ....Thank goodness all we lost was a week of incoming programs and about 40 bucks...of course, not counting the extra old-stock hard drive my husband had laying about. Even if we had purchased a new drive, that would still have been under 200 for decent size one delivered, and to keep an old "lifetime subscription" Tivo machine up and running, that is still cheap.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU with the early gen Tivo DirecTV machines....It looks like there is a fix, but it probably won't come from a self-download upgrade. If you force yours to get the curent update, your in luck...if not, well, get ahold of WeakKnees or DVRupgrade and spend a few bucks....These guys BOTH know how the system works from the inside out and CAN get them running.....usually with a new drive with the latest version preloaded and your at-home install.

I'm staying subscribed to this thread to see how you all fare....
JC ~ notanonymous ~
Cheers to all.....

Last edited by notanonymus : 05-10-2012 at 12:28 AM.
notanonymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #33
IBEmerson

A minor update from the one who started the thread:

Apparently DirecTV didn't like moving my card from my old tivo to the one with the updated software, as the next day it told me I had the wrong card installed.

So, while I *could* have just swapped hard drives and done a 'clear and delete everything', or backed up that drive and restored on mine (and then do a clear & delete everything), I decided to make it a 'learning experience'.

Serial BASH was still working, so I put the card back into my tivo & powered it up. I checked for any updates using

echo mls /SwSystem | tivosh

and found that 3.5 was in there (NOT 3.5d). I then ran FinishSwInstall.tcl manually to see what if any error occurred, but it succeeded and rebooted. It was then able to finish booting, "update the database", and I now could detect most but not all channels.

Since I had a Tivo with 3.5d, I took a chance and dd'd the kernel and tar'ed the root using an old Turbonet install cd (v1.1). This is slightly dangerous since it does NOT include any 'database' update.

Still, it booted, and after a 'clear and delete guide info and to-do list', all the channels are back. Soon I'll pull the drive and actually install the turbonet drivers, but I wanted to try only 1 thing at a time.

The bad news is that I lost serial bash. I hope its my cable. Also, since there was no 'database update', System Information still reports 3.5 and an 'emergency install' would downgrade the system.

UPDATE: The old Turbonet Install CD worked flawlessly, and I have telnet and all the channels again!

IBEmerson

Last edited by IBEmerson : 05-11-2012 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Add the bad news
IBEmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #34
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Hmm, maybe I should see if I still have bash over serial enabled on my DSR6000 and see if the 3.5d slices are on there.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #35
IBEmerson

Yes, you'll need the slices. It turns out that updating the Tivo without updating the 'database' caused the old 3.5 to be re-installed, resulting in a reboot loop. I'm going to do a backup of the drive with 3.5d, then put it into the tivo and do a clear & delete everything. While I've been learning and having fun, enough is enough.

IBEmerson
IBEmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:06 AM   #36
ghostrider3000

I have two old RCA and Samsung 80 hour DirecTivos that both had problems in the past month or so, one with the guide going out and the other with 1 local channel not coming in anymore. I waited until the TV season was over and I just now tried to reset both of them but they both get stuck at either 70% or 79% when reaquiring data thru the satellite.

We don't have a landline (just cellphones), and only had one hooked up just once to set DirecTV up like 7 years ago. So if I hook a landline up again now and force it to call, is there much chance it will get the update needed to fully acquire data? Or will that probably not fix it at this point?

Also if I pay $50 to have direcTV come out, they won't be able to fix the boxes anyway, correct?

Last edited by ghostrider3000 : 05-19-2012 at 12:18 AM.
ghostrider3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:56 AM   #37
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
You might get lucky with the box making a call, but you have to get it to boot first. Try unplugging the sat feeds and then press the DirecTV button when it says "searching for satellite".
Old 05-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #38
ghostrider3000

I can hit the DirecTV button on the remote while it continues to try to acquire the satellite info, (it stops at 70% each time and starts over and over). This allows me to go to the now playing list or make a test call or whatever I need to do at anytime, so does that mean it already booted? So can I make the daily call (or is it the test call?) while it continues to try to acquire data, and then it should download the update via phone call while it still is trying to acquire data and then the next time it hopefully will get past 70%?

Or is it necessary to unplug the satellite connections and press the DirectV button just when it starts to search for satellites to catch it at the right time and make the call and then replug in the satellite connection?

Thanks for the help. I just want to make sure I know what to do and see if there is at least maybe a 25% chance this will work before I hookup a phone line again for just a few days before disconnecting.
ghostrider3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #39
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yes, if you can get to settings, it booted. Have it make a call.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:49 PM   #40
spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
Try this.

Disconnect the satellite cables.
Power cycle the box
When it gets to "searching for satellite", press the TiVo button
Hook it up to a phone line and have it make a call.
Reconnect the satellite feeds
Restart the box
Sorry, I'm a little unclear about the last step (Restart the box) -- do you mean power cycle the box again, or do another reset from the setup menu, or?

I am a little late into this, I've only lost my local channels since last Thursday, and I am still on 3.5b. However, following the above steps did not update my software. I was on the phone with D* all morning today, and they told me to keep my SAT-T60 connect to a phone line for the next 24 hours and see what happens (one of the CSR I talked to said at some point D* will make a call to MY box instead of my box calling D*, which I've never heard of before.)

I am now having to run out to get a line splitter in order to keep the DirecTivo plugged to the phone line and still be able to use the telephone. But frankly I'm a little dubious about D*'s instruction. I really haven't had much issues with the hardware until maybe a few months ago, where the acquiring of sat data has started to slow way down and doesn't finish the first round -- but repeating the step seems to always fixed the problem, so I haven't given much thoughts until the major network channels have gone missing.

Is there really no way to get the update without resorting to spending more money? I even tried asking D* today if they can just enable national feeds for now so I can still record the shows, but no.
spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:08 AM   #41
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Restart using the menu is best. You don't have to spend anything.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:05 AM   #42
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffy View Post
Sorry, I'm a little unclear about the last step (Restart the box) -- do you mean power cycle the box again, or do another reset from the setup menu, or?

I am a little late into this, I've only lost my local channels since last Thursday, and I am still on 3.5b. However, following the above steps did not update my software. I was on the phone with D* all morning today, and they told me to keep my SAT-T60 connect to a phone line for the next 24 hours and see what happens (one of the CSR I talked to said at some point D* will make a call to MY box instead of my box calling D*, which I've never heard of before.)

I am now having to run out to get a line splitter in order to keep the DirecTivo plugged to the phone line and still be able to use the telephone. But frankly I'm a little dubious about D*'s instruction. I really haven't had much issues with the hardware until maybe a few months ago, where the acquiring of sat data has started to slow way down and doesn't finish the first round -- but repeating the step seems to always fixed the problem, so I haven't given much thoughts until the major network channels have gone missing.

Is there really no way to get the update without resorting to spending more money? I even tried asking D* today if they can just enable national feeds for now so I can still record the shows, but no.
FWIW, I have a 3.5c box that I've had fruitlessly phoning in for a couple of weeks in addition to not having heard of a single recent report of anyone with a S1 box getting the 3.5d software update without pulling the drive and doing it themselves. It is not unreasonable to think that DirecTV has decided that the costs of supporting 10 year old hardware are not worth it and you just happened upon a clueless CSR who knows nothing about TiVo.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:28 AM   #43
clherv

I have an SAT-T60 also. Bought around 2000. You can see old posts here. Upgraded hard drive myself around 2003. Bought lifetime subscription around 2002.

Now, the box's only function is to remind me of the old days, and let me watch shows I already recorded.

FIOS was isntalled Wednesday.

A sad day, but a new chapter.
clherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #44
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbourgeo View Post
Hmm, maybe I should see if I still have bash over serial enabled on my DSR6000 and see if the 3.5d slices are on there.
I finally got around to giving this a shot. I was able to get a bash prompt on my DSR6000 running 3.5c via ppp over serial using a knoppix boot cd on my old Dell laptop with a serial port. This DSR6000 hasn't made a phone call since 2007 but has been actively subbed the entire time.

As luck would have it, I did have the 3.5d slices on board:

Code:
bash-2.02# echo mls /SwSystem |tivosh
Directory of /SwSystem starting at ''

Name                      Type        FsId      Date  Time   Size
----                      ----        ----      ----  ----   ----
3.5c-01-1-001             tyDb     1934658  10/20/09 03:26    708
3.5d-01-1-001             tyDb     2509959  10/20/09 03:25    684
ACTIVE                    tyDb     1934658  10/20/09 03:26    708
Since I had nothing to lose, I tried a manual install the 3.5d software:

Code:
bash-2.02# ./installSw.itcl 3.5d-01-1-001
05/22:17:44:11: ./installSw.itcl:  id of /SwSystem/ACTIVE is 105695998
05/22:17:44:11: ./installSw.itcl:  id of /SwSystem/3.5d-01-1-001 is 123798229
05/22:17:44:11: ./installSw.itcl:  Installing "3.5d-01-1-001".
05/22:17:44:11: ./installSw.itcl:  Removing old package files
05/22:17:44:11: ./installSw.itcl:  Getting packages from database
05/22:17:44:18: ./installSw.itcl:  Executing jpm install of utils-1-1.cpio
05/22:17:44:20: ./installSw.itcl:  Executing updateroot /dev/hda /install /var/packages
Path prefix is /var/utils/

Searching /etc/fstab for current root

Old root is on /dev/hda4, new one goes on /dev/hda7

Creating new filesystem on /dev/hda7

Mounting new root filesystem on /install

Building basic filesystem skeleton on /install

Build directories
Uncompressing /var/packages/GZbin-1-1.cpio
Uncompressing /var/packages/GZetc-1-1.cpio
Uncompressing /var/packages/GZetccombo-1-1.cpio
Uncompressing /var/packages/GZkernel-1-1.cpio
Uncompressing /var/packages/GZlib-1-1.cpio
Uncompressing /var/packages/GZprom-1-1.cpio
Uncompressing /var/packages/GZsbin-1-1.cpio
Uncompressing /var/packages/GZtvbin-1-1.cpio
Uncompressing /var/packages/GZtvlib-1-1.cpio
Install /var/packages/GZbin-1-1.cpio into /install
Install /var/packages/GZetc-1-1.cpio into /install
Install /var/packages/GZetccombo-1-1.cpio into /install
Install /var/packages/GZkernel-1-1.cpio into /install
Install /var/packages/GZlib-1-1.cpio into /install
Install /var/packages/GZprom-1-1.cpio into /install
Install /var/packages/GZsbin-1-1.cpio into /install
Install /var/packages/GZtvbin-1-1.cpio into /install
Install /var/packages/GZtvlib-1-1.cpio into /install
Install /var/packages/utils-1-1.cpio into /install
Checking /install/etc/fstab

newroot is 7, copying fstab from fstab.alternate
   Creating symlink for /install/etc/mtab
   Dismounting /install and checking its integrity

Remounting /install read-only for comparison

pretend to Verify /var/packages/GZbin-1-1.cpio in /install
pretend to Verify /var/packages/GZetc-1-1.cpio in /install
pretend to Verify /var/packages/GZetccombo-1-1.cpio in /install
pretend to Verify /var/packages/GZkernel-1-1.cpio in /install
pretend to Verify /var/packages/GZlib-1-1.cpio in /install
pretend to Verify /var/packages/GZprom-1-1.cpio in /install
pretend to Verify /var/packages/GZsbin-1-1.cpio in /install
pretend to Verify /var/packages/GZtvbin-1-1.cpio in /install
pretend to Verify /var/packages/GZtvlib-1-1.cpio in /install
pretend to Verify /var/packages/utils-1-1.cpio in /install
Dismounting /install

Modifying bootparams to point to /dev/hda7

Flipping root, setting boot parameters to 'root=/dev/hda7  runideturbo=false'

OK, reboot the system to use the new root filesystem

05/22:17:47:18: ./installSw.itcl:  Attempting reboot...

After a reboot, I had a working DSR6000 running 3.5d! I took a quick 3.5d backup with the old MFSLive 1.4 CD I had hanging around, so I have an insurance policy if I have a disk failure and this is the terminal software release for the S1 DirecTiVo units.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #45
SkipPi

good work there!!!

As a side note in this thread
my DSR6000 did the 70% hang up as we have been
talking about.
It also hangs at the 28% when checking the sats

In another post I tell how I got it to
boot.
SteveL's pushing of the TiVo button would not work on my unit

It then made the call but my software is still 3.0
as has been said.

I let the unit sit in standby for 24 hours and Holloa!
sometime
during this period it made it past 70%
and is now working as it used to.

I have to unplug the unit in about a month as
we are moving to another campsite.
Hope the magic works again.
SkipPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #46
toivo

Me Too!

Hope it is ok to just add to this post as it sems like I have the same problem.

SAT T-60, stuck at 70 or 79% Completely original receiver and TIVO, with lifetime subscription, I have not done anything with it. I however have not had it plugged into a phone line for a very long time, 2300 or so days. The drive is still good as I can watch previously recorded stuff, but I can not ge any live TV, even though I am at 90% on the dish signal, which is typical, and the best I usually get.

Our power company called with a planned power outage, so I powered everything down in the house, and turned off the UPCs. (Darn outage never happened.) Then I powered everything back up ,and TIVO is stuck at the 70 or 79% acquiring screen. I have tried and tried to do the on/off, unplug dish, without any luck. I beleive I am running the 3.5c software, and will check when I get home.

Any idea's for me?

thanks -Neil
toivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:02 AM   #47
toivo

Well, it has been a few days. I tried to get the T60 to make a call. It connected and negoiated for a new hours, and ended up failing the call.
Forcing it to make the daily call it says dailing... then housekeeping, then failed couldn't connect.

My software version is 3.1.0c2-01-1-011 if that makes a difference.

Not sure what to do next, except maybe order a hopper.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:35 AM   #48
toivo

OK, so I had an idea, maybe my phone # was out of date. I went into configure, and entered 800 as my area code. It went through a whole phone test, and then said there was no local numbers. This time however, it came up with a different list of phone numbers, so I was able to change my local number. A phone test was just successful.

Now force a call home (kinda painful after 2322 days without a daily call!)
I went through prepare, dail, config, setting time, and download, and took about 15 minutes.

Now it is 'loading data' with an estimated time of 103 minutes. It then said suceeded, in about 15 minutes.

I deceided to make it do another call. same results.

After all of that, it is no better then it was, and shows the same software version. Still hangs at 70 or 79%.

I keep reading on the net that I need version 3.5c or 3.5d. I found this on dtvs website: http://www.directv.com/see/landing/dvr35_upgrade.html
Is there anyway to easily install a more up-to-date software version?
Old 05-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #49
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by toivo View Post
Is there anyway to easily install a more up-to-date software version?
Assuming that DirecTV will not be providing the update via the official means, it depends on what you mean by "easy". If you are comfortable modifying your TiVo to get a bash prompt, you can see if you have the 3.5d slices on your system and install manually like I did here or you can acquire a 3.5d backup from a sympathetic SAT T-60 owner or purchase the InstantCake boot cd for the SAT T-60 (after verifying with dvrupgrade.com that it has software version 3.5d) and re-image a hard disk yourself.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #50
spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbourgeo View Post
Assuming that DirecTV will not be providing the update via the official means, it depends on what you mean by "easy". If you are comfortable modifying your TiVo to get a bash prompt, you can see if you have the 3.5d slices on your system and install manually like I did here or you can acquire a 3.5d backup from a sympathetic SAT T-60 owner or purchase the InstantCake boot cd for the SAT T-60 (after verifying with dvrupgrade.com that it has software version 3.5d) and re-image a hard disk yourself.
I've emailed DVRUpgrade twice already last week, trying to confirm whether their current InstantCake has 3.5d, but can't get them to answer me. Their release notes does not indicate if the latest version (2/1/08) has 3.5d; the version before that (9/07/07) has only 3.5c. They indicated on their web site that they do not offer support on InstantCake; but is it really that much of a trouble to just verify if the software we need is on the iso???
spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #51
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffy View Post
I've emailed DVRUpgrade twice already last week, trying to confirm whether their current InstantCake has 3.5d, but can't get them to answer me. Their release notes does not indicate if the latest version (2/1/08) has 3.5d; the version before that (9/07/07) has only 3.5c. They indicated on their web site that they do not offer support on InstantCake; but is it really that much of a trouble to just verify if the software we need is on the iso???
I believe 3.5d was released around June 2008, so it is quite possible that the latest has 3.5c (released around September 2007) if those dates are correct. For some reason InstantCake seems to have been put on the back burner and the price has doubled, which is a shame since it was a useful product for many TiVo owners.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #52
jetstreme

I had the same problem with my T60 since early May. I finally decide to purchase the InstantCake yesterday. I can confirm that it is indeed version 3.5d. Everything is up and running now and I got back all my lost channels. It also handles larger hard drives, so now I have 350 hours.
jetstreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:29 PM   #53
SkipPi

can anyone tell me the date this notice was posted
by Direct TV?

http://www.directv.com/see/landing/dvr35_upgrade.html
Old 05-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #54
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipPi View Post
can anyone tell me the date this notice was posted
by Direct TV?

http://www.directv.com/see/landing/dvr35_upgrade.html
I believe 3.5d came out around June 2008, so it's already been about four years since the last software update.

Last edited by sbourgeo : 05-31-2012 at 06:35 AM. Reason: four, not for
Old 05-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #55
toivo

OK, here is a strange update here.

On Sunday, after leaving the tivo on for a couple of days, I noticed the message light was on. I checked it out, and the guide came up. This is the first time that it came up since the problem. The channels would not tune it, but the guide came up. I went into setup again, and had the same problems.

I messed with it some more, with the boot, unplug ritual. Still no joy. So I started looking at things to replace it, and had a busy couple of days, so didn't make up my mind.

Yesterday, noticed the message light again, so switched over to the tivo input, and the darn thing was working, and had even TIVOed 2 programs for me. No, I can't say what I did - not convinced that I really did anything. I now have the phone line plugged in, which is the only thing different then before. I did not do setup again, but did check the software version, and it did not change from before. I'm stumped. Donít know what happened, but it is still working 24 hours later, and I have recorded, watched live and recorded programs.

I'm still going to upgrade, but at least it is on by time frame. If you guys want me to check something, just let me know.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:54 AM   #56
SkipPi

thanks Daddio for the date of the software upgrade
but I would like to know when the
post appeared on the website.

Has it been there for four years?
or
has the mothership realized the problem and
is now doing something about it?

My unit is a DSR6000 and the upgrade says for DSR6000R

Maybe that is why mine did not upgrade?
It has been constantly connected to the phone line except when
traveling between campgrounds.

Toivo: my DSR6000 did the same thing after
letting it sit in standby for a couple days.

working as normal now running 3.1 software
but what will happen when we change campgrounds?

I have no access to a PC that can be configured to
load instantcake (all laptops here) so I may be forced
into buying a complete upgrade hard drive. :^(
Old 05-31-2012, 10:37 AM   #57
unitron

Quote:
thanks Daddio for the date of the software upgrade
but I would like to know when the
post appeared on the website.

Has it been there for four years?
or
has the mothership realized the problem and
is now doing something about it?

My unit is a DSR6000 and the upgrade says for DSR6000R

Maybe that is why mine did not upgrade?
It has been constantly connected to the phone line except when
traveling between campgrounds.

Toivo: my DSR6000 did the same thing after
letting it sit in standby for a couple days.

working as normal now running 3.1 software
but what will happen when we change campgrounds?

I have no access to a PC that can be configured to
load instantcake (all laptops here) so I may be forced
into buying a complete upgrade hard drive. :^(
Get somebody whose dropbox account isn't already jammed to the gills like mine is, make an image file of the IC cd and let them download it and burn a copy and use it with an old IDE computer and the right size hard drive, then they can make an image from that with the MFS Live cd or WinMFS and upload it to dropbox and you can download it from there and restore.

Or you could mail them the IC cd, or a burned copy of it, and they could put the images on cd and mail them to you.

But they wouldn't have to have that model TiVo, just the old computer and the right size drive temporarily available as a middleman.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:49 AM   #58
SkipPi

thanks Unitron
but we live in a travel trailer
and move around

and have no old IDE PCs only laptops

Last edited by SkipPi : 05-31-2012 at 01:56 PM. Reason: removed picture
Old 05-31-2012, 11:11 AM   #59
unitron

Quote:
thanks Unitron
but we live in a travel trailer
and move around
and have no old IDE PCs only laptops
Well, obviously you have internet access, so upload IC to dropbox, get someone with an older PC to use it and take the resulting drive and make an MFS Live image or a WinMFS one and upload that to dropbox, and you download that and use the MFS Live cd or WinMFS to restore to the drive of your choice (provided it's at least as large as the original drive).

If you don't have a dropbox account I can send you an invite and that way we both get extra free space (it's a free account, but you can pay for more space if you aren't a cheapskate like me).

What size is the original drive in that TiVo?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011

Last edited by unitron : 05-31-2012 at 11:12 AM. Reason: removed image to save bandwidth
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:56 PM   #60
SkipPi

thanks again Unitron for the reply

the hard drive is a 160GB

I do not have a drop box account.
If I can get you some free storage space
I'd be happy to help.

We live as I said in a campground ..
Oceanlakes in Surfside Beach SC

I do not have the computer experience to
follow what you mean by
use it and take the resulting drive and make an MFS Live image or a WinMFS one and upload that to dropbox,
and you download that
and use the MFS Live cd or WinMFS to restore
to the drive of your choice (provided it's at least as large as the original drive).

I have been researching MFS Live and could
possibly do it from their instructions.

Plus
I don't know anyone with a desktop PC,
everyone I know has a laptop.
So
I could buy a USB 2 to IDE adapter.

sorry for the picture, I didn't know loading
from my server used that much bandwidth.