TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
the-sloth
love live tivo!

Replaced HDXL w/ Premiere, can I repurpose the HDXL HDD?

If I make a backup of the disk in my new Premiere can I then restore that to the HDD in my HD XL and use it in my Premiere? I haven't opened the Premiere up yet but I just wanted to ensure all the drive specs were the same before doing anything.
the-sloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
KelleyCook

I suppose you technically could ... but why would you?

Go ebay the THX HD XL. Actually when you call to cancel service, they might even offer you a $100 lifetime, that which will bump the resale value by more than $100.

Then buy a new 1, 1.5 or 2TB hard drive.

Follow the upgrade instructions elsewhere (noting the part about voiding your warranty).
KelleyCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
the-sloth
love live tivo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelleyCook View Post
I suppose you technically could ... but why would you?

Go ebay the THX HD XL. Actually when you call to cancel service, they might even offer you a $100 lifetime, that which will bump the resale value by more than $100.

Then buy a new 1, 1.5 or 2TB hard drive.

Follow the upgrade instructions elsewhere (noting the part about voiding your warranty).
hrmmm... very good point. i forgot how much of a premium lifetime devices pull on the secondary market. that's a no brainer. thanks for keeping me in check.

for most electronics i would rather keep the warranty but I got this premiere from woot for $54 shipped so i'm more inclined to open it up and upgrade the drive.

from the research i did it looks like winmfs still hasn't been updated and everyone is using jmfs to do premiere upgrades, is that accurate?
the-sloth is offline   Reply With Quote