Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #61
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmowry View Post
I liked it at the beginning but I think it's gotten better the last 5-6 episodes.
A lot of people said that, but my DVR is overcrowded as it is. Too overcrowded to give it another chance. Oh well.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #62
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougF View Post
And I didn't get why it was necessary for those who liked the show to tell those who didn't that it was because they weren't smart enough to get it.
I don't think anybody said that.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #63
fmowry

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
I don't think anybody said that.
I'm not sure why you are so upset about a show DougF said he didn't like in a thread about shows people didn't like.

Plenty of people always rave about every show in which Sorkin is involved. How "smart" it is. Boring, but smart.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #64
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Another show...Luck. I thought I would like it, but I found it a total bore.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:03 PM   #65
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougF View Post
And I didn't get why it was necessary for those who liked the show to tell those who didn't that it was because they weren't smart enough to get it.

I really couldn't care less if someone likes a show I don't. I just found the whole Studio 60 thing fascinating. From the "greatest show ever"-type comments before anyone had even seen it to the "it's the timeslot" or "it's the lead-in" blaming for the bad ratings to the already-mentioned comments about intelligence. I can't recall another show before or since that generated that kind of talk, at least to the same degree.
Arrested Development spawned similar conversations.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #66
Todd
Stig Twins are Here!

The Office.

"Money is fungible, no?" - Turtleboy
Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:54 PM   #67
reddice

Bones. I tried watching the Pilot twice when it premiered in 2005 and could not finish the episode. Can't believe that show is still on. Boring.
reddice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:01 AM   #68
ncsercs
DirecTivo fan.......

Pan Am but too much CIA plot.

New Girl, love Zooey but way too much quirky factor.

Every day I beat my own previous record for the number of consecutive
days I've stayed alive. - George Carlin - 1996

1 TiVo Series3 / 1 DTV H24 / 2 DTV HR24
ncsercs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:31 AM   #69
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsercs View Post
How many episodes did you give this? She was grating the first half dozen but then they found their groove and the show is spectacular now.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:35 AM   #70
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
Bones. I tried watching the Pilot twice when it premiered in 2005 and could not finish the episode. Can't believe that show is still on. Boring.
I would have quit on many shows based on just the pilot. So many times the pilot is filmed way before the rest of the season and things have drastically changed in the mean time. Characters were rewritten/replaced, etc.

I know in the first season one of the characters was a spoiled rich kid who's parents donated LOTS of money to where Bones and he work. After the first season, that was no longer mentioned and he is now a likable character.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #71
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsercs View Post

This
Old 05-22-2012, 07:52 AM   #72
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
How many episodes did you give this? She was grating the first half dozen but then they found their groove and the show is spectacular now.
How many was I supposed to give it? I gave it 3. I think that's a fair amount. Do you usually stick with shows you don't like more than 3 episodes? There must have been something about the show you did like to overlook the annoyance of the show's star.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:55 AM   #73
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
How many was I supposed to give it? I gave it 3. I think that's a fair amount. Do you usually stick with shows you don't like more than 3 episodes? There must have been something about the show you did like to overlook the annoyance of the show's star.
I'd say 3 episodes is fair. There are some shows that take longer than 3 shows to find their groove, but if they lose you after 3 episodes, then obviously that's not the show for you.

I always give a show at least 2 episodes. If I kinda like it, I may give it more, but if it's totally unwatchable after 2 episodes, I am out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #74
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I didn't love it but I had the SP already set (and an open slot during that time) and watched it in the background while doing other things. I later went back and watched them all over again. I'd say episode 6 is where it really found it's footing, that was the Thanksgiving episode and by episode 8 I was fully on board and rewatching.
So no, if I hated it, I'd have stopped after the first few. I'm just saying maybe give it another try and I think in the long run you'll like it.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:06 AM   #75
Chris Gerhard

"Fringe" for me. I watched the entire first season, purchased it on Blu-ray after reading raves about the show. I was underwhelmed but I recorded season 2 and was recording season 3 and would watch an episode every now and then but finally just deleted all remaining episodes. I usually like stupid science fiction but that show makes "Lost" look plausible. The show appears to be written by physicists, biologists, chemists, scientists, doctors and the absolute best minds available, they make absolutely certain nothing included in the script has even the remotest resemblence to anything that could theoretically be real.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #76
Zevida
witless and unarmed

I don't think the Jess character got any less quirky. They just started fleshing out the other characters so it wasn't quite as much Jess-centric all the time. I've loved it from the start.

- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:29 AM   #77
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmowry View Post
I'm not sure why you are so upset about a show DougF said he didn't like in a thread about shows people didn't like.

Plenty of people always rave about every show in which Sorkin is involved. How "smart" it is. Boring, but smart.
He can not like Studio 60 all he wants. I just don't want him to put words in my mouth. I (a member of the set "likes Studio 60") don't think that he (a member of the set "doesn't like Studio 60") is stupid. We simply have different tastes.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:00 AM   #78
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
The Office.
I actually tried really hard to like 'The Office' a couple of years ago. I started watching the reruns each day. It was just hellish. I could not like it no matter how hard I tried. I like some dum bass type comedies, but this was just too far below the bar for me. I couldn't even get a 'love to hate' on with Carell's character. I just wanted to run over him with my car.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote