TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-21-2012, 07:32 AM   #1
I_am_not_randy

Discovery bar frustrating- Ideas for how to navigate it better ?

The discovery bar is very frustrating. If I am looking at my list of shows and I see an interesting item in the discovery bar, I have to use the up arrow to get there. That can be be very inefficient if I am at the bottom of my show list. Another thing that frequently happens is that I am the top of some list, hit the up arrow, and it wont let me go up (and you get the BONK failure sound), and then a second or two later it will let me go up, but only after it has changed to a new set of suggestions.

The most frustration is when the combination of the two occur, and I finally up arrow all the way up to the top of my show list, and then it wont let me get to the docovery bar untill it has updated it with new items.

Does anyone have any tips for how to better use the discovery bar ?
I_am_not_randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:39 AM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

Use the skip button to jump to the bottom of the list and the top of the list. When you firts hit it you will jump to the bottom of the My Shows list. When you hit it again you will jump to the top. Then just use the up key to get to the discover bar. You can also use the page down and page up to as well. But it's not as fast as using the skip key
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
JandS

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_not_randy View Post
The discovery bar is very frustrating.
100% agreed, for exactly the reasons you mention. It took us about 3 experiences of glimpsing something interesting in the DB and not being able to navigate there before the suggestion set changed to make the conscious decision to completely ignore the DB.

3x Thumbs Down to the Tivo Brains Trust for taking a passable feature and making it useless.

Thank you to aaronwt for mentioning the skip button in navigating the programs list.
JandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:23 AM   #4
PeteB

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_not_randy View Post
Does anyone have any tips for how to better use the discovery bar ?
Yes, allow it to be turned off!! Whoever designed the Discovery bar should be fired. Tying the menu selections to internet downloading is ridicuolous. A slow internet connection, and everything becomes unusable... SD Menus - faster and less ads.
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:56 AM   #5
I_am_not_randy

arronwt, thanks for the suggestion about the skip button, didnt know about that so that makes things easier in general.

PeteB, I agree completly about the slow internet thing. I am connected wirelessly and while I vasty prefer the HD interface when the connection is good, the HD interface becomes nearly unusable when the connection is marginal. However, when there is no internet connection the HD interface is fine although severely feature limited.

Tivo needs to do a better job with a mariginal connection.
I_am_not_randy is offline   Reply With Quote