TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
yunlin12
Tivonation Citizen

Angry Lost many older recordings on PXL

A few days ago I lost a bunch of recorded shows. I was watching a web video downloaded through a "season pass", after it finished, I was prompted to delete it, which I did. Then the menu backed out to a folder saying there is no more shows in the folder. Then I went back to my now playing list, and noticed my disk usage went down from ~65% to 24%. I looked around, and all shows that were marked with a yellow dot had been deleted, as well as all suggestions. I rebooted it, thinking it might be an indexing glitch, but after reboot, and waiting overnight, the shows remained gone.

I don't know if this was triggered by me deleting the web video. I watched another web video earlier. It had a few more episodes stored in a folder. When I was prompted to delete one episode after finished watching, I was backed out to the folder view, also saying there was no other episodes in the folder, while in fact the folder shouldn't have been empty. This raised my suspicion of indexing issue.

Not sure what I can do. This kinda sucks. I had whole season of a couple shows that I hadn't gotten around to watch, now they are all gone

PS, have not gotten 20.2.1.1, still on the previous SW
Tivo S3 750GB (decommissioned)
Tivo HD 750GB (adopted by parents)
Tivo Premiere
Tivo Premiere XL
yunlin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
compnurd

Did you check the previously deleted items folder?
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
mattack

I know you say that your disk usage changed, so I can't explain this.

However, I will bring up a bug that has been there since at least the S3/TivoHD days (which are what I have). Probably occurs on S2s as well.

The "folders" are virtual folders, and IMHO, the Tivo software is VERY poor at making the UI "consistent".

VERY VERY VERY often, when deleting an item, the folder will TEMPORARILY tell me there are no more items. However, USUALLY if you wait a while (and it can be like 10 seconds), the items will "come back". There are times when the item you deleted somehow made that virtual folder 'go away' however, so the other items really still are in other folders in now playing.. they just won't come back to that folder. (e.g. there were 10 items in the folder, you delete 1.. now it tells you there are no items left.. and it WON'T eventually show up with the other 9 items.)

This actually is one of the scariest bits of UI in Tivo software, especially because I have a few weird somewhat-corrupted Tivo drives where the whole Now Playing list DOES disappear (and I have to reboot -- I have now bought a new drive to hopefully play around and try to revive the content -- I get an error 58 when it's in this weird blank-now-playing situation if I try to record something).
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #4
yunlin12
Tivonation Citizen

I checked the recently deleted folder the next day, after rebooting/waiting overnight to see if the indexing fixed itself. There was nothing in that folder. I also found cases where people reported that turning on grouping causes some shows to disappear in the NPL, so tried turning off grouping also, but no help.
Tivo Premiere
Tivo Premiere XL
Old 05-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
moyekj

I think what happens is sometimes for web videos, HMO videos (from pyTivo or TiVo Desktop) or MRV the estimated size of the download is way too high which then causes the receiving TiVo to delete shows (and empty out Recently Deleted). I had this happen recently too. I had a series folder containing 20 shows that I was going to get around to watching during the summer, but after MRV of an NBA game from Series3->Premiere 20 shows went to 5 shows even though at the time I was only 50% capacity (I don't have suggestions enabled). i.e. I lost 15 shows for no good reason. Because they were recorded months ago they didn't survive in Recently Deleted either since they were older than any shows remaining in there. Most of the time I only use MRS and I'm really weary about using these other download methods now because of this.
I don't trust keeping shows on a TiVo anymore for long term purposes and since my cable provider is not Draconian and TTG is not blocked for most shows I think I'll have to start backing up to PC shows I want to watch at a much later time down the road.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
yunlin12
Tivonation Citizen

Mine is a P2XL with 1TB, and Tivo suddenly cleared out 40% of that. Hard to believe the SW could screw up this badly, but the theory does sound plausible. Oh well, the silver lining is this actually made me think about which of those shows I actually really cared to watch, and after the initial shock, I'm not as upset as I should be. I guess I'll be trimming my Season Passes soon
Tivo Premiere
Tivo Premiere XL