TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-21-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
stlbluesfan74
Mike

Does Charter Communications have a Cable Card?

OK, so I am probably being lazy here but does anyone know if Charter Communications offers a cable card for the Tivo Premiere box. Right now I am only using it for OTA channels.

The main cable companies that I hear about are Verizon and Comcast, neither offered in my area.

Thanks in advance
stlbluesfan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
cptlapcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlbluesfan74 View Post
OK, so I am probably being lazy here but does anyone know if Charter Communications offers a cable card for the Tivo Premiere box. Right now I am only using it for OTA channels.

The main cable companies that I hear about are Verizon and Comcast, neither offered in my area.

Thanks in advance
Yes they provide an M cable card and tuning adapter.
cptlapcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #3
stlbluesfan74
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptlapcat View Post
Yes they provide an M cable card and tuning adapter.
Wow. Thank you for the quick answer. I may have to look into that.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
SirMontego

FCC rules REQUIRES all cable company to offer multistream cable cards.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-know-your-rights
SirMontego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #5
sharkster

I have Charter and had to get cable cards recently, when I replaced my two Series 2 boxes with a couple of Premieres. I am very glad that I had the cable guy come to my house to install the cable cards (and, previously unbeknownst to me, the tuning adapters).

They recycle these cards, just like they always did with cable boxes, and we had some failure problems. He was able to get one card installed (not without a lot of hassle) and had to come back the next day to do the other one because the other card just flat would not work. I suggested he bring extras to make sure. Fortunately, he did so and the first one he tried was a brand new (actually new) card, which worked easily.

I'm glad I didn't deal with that myself or some bad things might have happened in my house. Just sayin' ... It was not the easy job that the instructions led me to believe.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
stlbluesfan74
Mike

Well it's good to hear that you eventually got it working. I did decide to get Charter. I'm having it installed next weekend. Hopefully all goes well. Thanks for the advice about having the guy bring a bunch of cards.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlbluesfan74 View Post
Well it's good to hear that you eventually got it working. I did decide to get Charter. I'm having it installed next weekend. Hopefully all goes well. Thanks for the advice about having the guy bring a bunch of cards.
Hope it goes well! It's really great not having the cable box anymore, PLUS it opened up the HD channels. I didn't have HD service before so, when the cable guy was going through checking channels I thought 'wow, the reception is better than ever'. He said that those were the HD channels. I told him that I didn't get HD and he says 'well, you do now'. He went on to say that they don't bother to block the HD channels when you go from the boxes to the cards so it's not a problem and I'm not doing anything wrong. woo hoo! Price went down (getting rid of two boxes) and now I have HD.

Love the Premieres, for the most part, having gone from S2, single tuner, boxes, so I'm in TV heaven.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote