TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

I'm FREE! FREE from Private Practice!

There are only a half-dozen or so shows that my wife is interested in watching, so I watch those with her (Good Wife, Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice, Blue Bloods, In Plain Sight (now over), and a couple of others I can't think of).

Last night when we finished watching the latest episode of Private Practice, she said "You know what? I don't want to watch this show any more. They just make the same mistakes over and over."

I verified that she really wanted me to delete the SP, and she did. So I did.

And now I'm free!

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
andyw715

I can't wait for that day.
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

The things we do for our spouses.
TiVo'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

That's why my wife and I have Our Shows, Her Shows, and My Shows. She watches crap like Private Practice and Grey's Anatomy on her own time, and I watch crap like Animation Domination and Mad Men on my own time. Then we come together and watch those things we both enjoy.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #5
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Ah... single life
Old 05-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

This is why we have separate TVs. I don't have to watch his stupid American Idol or whatever talent show is on or whatever's on TruTV.

He doesn't have to watch my documentaries. Or Jersey Shore.
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
allan
I survived the Mayan

I don't live with my GF, so it's not an issue, but I know for a fact that she watches at least one (and probably more) shows that make me upchuck.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCantAngieRead View Post
This is why we have separate TVs. I don't have to watch his stupid American Idol or whatever talent show is on or whatever's on TruTV.

He doesn't have to watch my documentaries. Or Jersey Shore.
Oh, ditto that!! I can barely stand to watch TV with my husband. Plus, he watches stuff that I would not get caught dead watching, but my main complaint is that he never shuts the fack up!

Him - Talk talk talk talk talk - oh, who is that? What is happening? What's going on?

Me - I need a Valium. sigh

Separate TV is a very very good thing! We get along swimmingly that way. Otherwise, I probably would have killed him by now.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
whitson77
Director Level

My wife watches every show I watch except for the three I watched with my kids. Thundercats, Legend of Korra, and The Clone Wars.

My wife watches these shows that have zero interest for me.

The Practice
Glee
Grey's
The Mentalist
Fairly Legal
The Vampire Diaries
Missing - Cancelled
The Firm - Cancelled

Sometimes, you just have to have your own shows.
whitson77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:47 PM   #10
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
That's why my wife and I have Our Shows, Her Shows, and My Shows. She watches crap like Private Practice and Grey's Anatomy on her own time, and I watch crap like Animation Domination and Mad Men on my own time. Then we come together and watch those things we both enjoy.
She watches so few shows that I don't mind sitting with her for those. Just a bit more "together" time.

Then she goes to bed and I watch "my" shows.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
Old 05-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #11
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

I just watch the game on my iPad whenever she watches show I don't like. Winter I'm stuck!
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #12
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post

Last night when we finished watching the latest episode of Private Practice, she said "You know what? I don't want to watch this show any more. They just make the same mistakes over and over."

I verified that she really wanted me to delete the SP, and she did. So I did.

And now I'm free!
Your not truly free until the new season starts and see hasn't changed her mind. The next season is only going to be 13 episodes and will probably wrap things up.

Your wife might decide she wants "closure".
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #13
CorgiMom28
In search of a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
Ah... single life
LOL! Exactly!
Old 05-21-2012, 09:38 PM   #14
Flop

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
Ah... single life
+1. All the shows on my TiVo are "my shows"

...except for this one..hey that one too... hey who recorded those?!?! I swear I don't watch that junk! Stop looking at my SP list!!
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:33 PM   #15
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCantAngieRead View Post
This is why we have separate TVs.
You're halfway there. We have separate TVs, separate TiVos and separate TV rooms. I have my shows, she has hers, and there are a few we share.

The funny thing is, I know what kind of shows she likes, and sometimes I'll bug her to watch one I just know she would enjoy. But nooooo...

And then for some reason, she'll finally watch an episode, maybe because a friend watches it, or she heard something good about it, and she loves it. And conveniently forgets that I've been bugging her to try it.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:07 PM   #16
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
We got rid of my wife's SP this season as well. Whatever they are doing it seems to be driving women viewers away.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:10 AM   #17
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
My wife and I watch most of the Network Prime Time stuff together during the evenings after the kids go to bed. The only other TV she watches is in the morning to catch-up if she fell asleep on the couch. I watch a ton of stuff she doesn't watch and a lot of Sports. We just got HD in the bedroom so I've been splitting my time in both TV rooms. It IS nice to have a second setup.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:29 AM   #18
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flop View Post
+1. All the shows on my TiVo are "my shows"
...except for this one..hey that one too... hey who recorded those?!?! I swear I don't watch that junk! Stop looking at my SP list!!
Ha! There may be one or two on my SP list that I'd claim to be someone else's too. It's okay, everyone has their guilty pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
The funny thing is, I know what kind of shows she likes, and sometimes I'll bug her to watch one I just know she would enjoy. But nooooo...
And then for some reason, she'll finally watch an episode, maybe because a friend watches it, or she heard something good about it, and she loves it. And conveniently forgets that I've been bugging her to try it.
Well duh. Don't you know that's how us women are?
Old 05-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #19
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:

Welcome to my marriage. Happens to me all the time. I tell her something. She doesn't believe it, or ignores it. But as soon as she hears it from someone else? It's GOLD!

Old 05-22-2012, 10:50 AM   #20
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
Welcome to my marriage. Happens to me all the time. I tell her something. She doesn't believe it, or ignores it. But as soon as she hears it from someone else? It's GOLD!
Wow, I thought that was just men. I can tell my husband something and he seems to completely disregard it. But let some other guy tell him the same thing and he comes home with this major revelation. ha!
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #21
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

We used to always watch TV together. I'd watch Sex & the City with her (which I hated) and she'd watch sports with me (which she hated). That was long, long ago. Now there are a few shows we both like and watch together (Breaking Bad, for instance) but otherwise when it's time for TV, we are in separate rooms watching different shows. We even have our own separate Tivos.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #22
markz
Hilarity Ensues

I was so glad that Desperate Housewives finally came to an end. I didn't stop watching it because I had stayed with it so long and knew it was finally ending. However, I grew to hate the characters. Very few of them were nice people with redeeming qualities. I would not want to be friends with them or live by them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #23
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
I was so glad that Desperate Housewives finally came to an end. I didn't stop watching it because I had stayed with it so long and knew it was finally ending. However, I grew to hate the characters. Very few of them were nice people with redeeming qualities. I would not want to be friends with them or live by them.
We watched season one together and I bailed after that, pretty much for the same reasons. Also, when the show started, it had a dark comedy element to it that I liked, but that quickly went away and it became just another soap opera.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #24
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Quote:
You're halfway there. We have separate TVs, separate TiVos and separate TV rooms. I have my shows, she has hers, and there are a few we share.
Yep, we have that, too. Mine's in the bedroom, his in the living room. I record a few things in there to watch during the day, but he doesn't use mine at all (I have the crappy TV.

And I guess, technically, now we share a TiVo. (We moved to DirecTV. and have a whole house setup.)
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #25
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
Your not truly free until the new season starts and see hasn't changed her mind. The next season is only going to be 13 episodes and will probably wrap things up.

Your wife might decide she wants "closure".
I checked with her on this today. She said "no way".

I believe her - she really doesn't like to sit down and watch TV.