TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #31
billboard_NE
North Shore MA
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,387
I should like Big Bang Theory, but I can't stand the laugh track.

In the past I watched How I Met Your Mother, but I have lost interest in it. Also Two and a Half men, have not watched a single episode without Charlie.
billboard_NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #32
Fish Man
Phish Food
 
Fish Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 0.7 miles from the Abita brewery!
Posts: 8,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbobo View Post
You can scratch Alcatraz off your list, its been cancelled.



Also cancelled
Were we only supposed to mention shows still running?

My list had several shows that aren't on anymore (Alcatraz was only one of them.) Many of the lists mentioned canceled / no longer running shows.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fish Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #33
Fish Man
Phish Food
 
Fish Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 0.7 miles from the Abita brewery!
Posts: 8,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by billboard_NE View Post
I should like Big Bang Theory, but I can't stand the laugh track.
BBT is so good I can actually look past the laugh track.

BBT is, in fact, recorded before a studio audience, but it is obvious that the audiences reactions are extensively edited and "sweetened".

I'd love it if the producers of BBT would realize how profoundly the laugh track isn't working and just go to taping without audience and not adding a laugh track. It would work fine to do this with BBT. It works (or worked) with The Office, Parks and Rec, My Name is Earl, Raising Hope, etc. etc....
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fish Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #34
JLucPicard
Registered User
 
JLucPicard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: West St. Paul - Viking Country
Posts: 3,363
TC CLUB MEMBER
Could we PLEASE not turn this into yet another Laugh Track / Not a Laugh Track thread?????

There are plenty of them out there if you want info or want to discuss that topic.

Thanks.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #35
holee
Uncertain
 
holee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 4,381
Alcatraz, Touch and Grimm.
__________________
Go Go TiVo Premier XL!
holee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #36
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt
 
jamesbobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,705
Vampire Diaries. As much as I like a good Vampire story, this seemed too much like a teen soap opera to me.
__________________
Many people suffer in this world, we should not complain about TV.
jamesbobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #37
Amnesia
The Question
 
Amnesia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 9,519
Person of Interest
NCIS: LA (love the regular show)
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #38
Johncv
Registered User
 
Johncv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Chula Vista, CA
Posts: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by holee View Post
Alcatraz, Touch and Grimm.
Why donít like Grimm? I think that one of the better shows on TV.
__________________
Johncv

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #39
Johncv
Registered User
 
Johncv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Chula Vista, CA
Posts: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
Person of Interest
NCIS: LA (love the regular show)
I want to know why some people donít like NCIS:LA? I like this show better then NCIS because I am getting tire of Mark Hammal (Gibbs). They should have killed him off when he demanded a raise.
__________________
Johncv

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #40
Johncv
Registered User
 
Johncv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Chula Vista, CA
Posts: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbobo View Post
Vampire Diaries. As much as I like a good Vampire story, this seemed too much like a teen soap opera to me.
That because it is a soap opera.
__________________
Johncv

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #41
billboard_NE
North Shore MA
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
Could we PLEASE not turn this into yet another Laugh Track / Not a Laugh Track thread?????

There are plenty of them out there if you want info or want to discuss that topic.

Thanks.
So we should just list the shows, and not the reason why?
billboard_NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #42
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force
 
dianebrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: boston'ish
Posts: 8,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
Could we PLEASE not turn this into yet another Laugh Track / Not a Laugh Track thread?????

There are plenty of them out there if you want info or want to discuss that topic.

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billboard_NE View Post
So we should just list the shows, and not the reason why?
listing the reason is fine, but but I agree with JL, turning this into another BBT laugh track thread isn't appropriate, the point has been made and seconded, there's no need to continue that part of the discussion, in fact I feel guilty even continuing with this, but the point was made, dead horse has been kicked.
__________________
"There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."
dianebrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:57 PM   #43
JLucPicard
Registered User
 
JLucPicard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: West St. Paul - Viking Country
Posts: 3,363
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by billboard_NE View Post
So we should just list the shows, and not the reason why?
Your point was not the target of my post, and was completely and totally appropriate and acceptable for this thread. I apologize if it seemed I was attacking your post.

My target was the direction of post #33, which, as dianebrat indicated, has been hashed, rehashed, rebutted and discussed to death in the BBT threads. I just didn't want to see this thread take off in that same direction.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:39 PM   #44
Beryl
Registered User
 
Beryl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,069
Harry's Law - still have hopes it will improve since I love Bates
Terra Nova
CSI Everything
__________________
HD XL
Premiere
Roamio Plus
Beryl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:23 PM   #45
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1
 
LoadStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 31,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
Harry's Law - still have hopes it will improve since I love Bates
Canceled, so don't expect any improvement there.
Quote:
Terra Nova
Canceled.
Quote:
CSI Everything
Well, CSI: Miami is canceled at least.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #46
DougF
Registered User
 
DougF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 13,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
If you go back and look at the threads here, there were LOTS of people who didn't like it...
Yeah, I remember.

I thinking more of the "Sorkin is a genius and you don't like it because it's intelligent TV and you don't get it" crowd who were trying so desperately hard to like that show. There must be at least one who will admit that they just didn't like it.
DougF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #47
fmowry
Registered User
 
fmowry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 10,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougF View Post
Yeah, I remember.

I thinking more of the "Sorkin is a genius and you don't like it because it's intelligent TV and you don't get it" crowd who were trying so desperately hard to like that show. There must be at least one who will admit that they just didn't like it.
I said I didn't like Sports Night or Studio 60. Then I realized I'm not much of a fan of anything Sorkin does.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #48
allan
I survived the Mayan
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 12,503
There's a lot of shows that I had hopes for that flopped (at least for me). The ones I can think right now include Alcatraz, Ringer, and Person of Interest. Touch is borderline; it seems just good enough for me to keep watching, and bad enough that I grumble about it. I liked Terra Nova, despite its obvious flaws.
__________________
My Tivo is too small!

BEEP
allan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:52 AM   #49
philw1776
Registered User
 
philw1776's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Seacoast NH
Posts: 2,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
The Killing

Terra Nova should have been much better but they ruined it with the teen kids.
I guess I suppressed the painful memories of "The Killing". Liked the setting and the initial premise. Like shows based on European stories, but as episode after episode of The Killing went through red herrings faster than a trawler net even before the abominable travesty of the season ending I developed a dislike for all things The Killing.

I will read the S2 thread here later this year to find out who did kill Rosie Larsen though.

And agree with those wishing one cable TV follow on to TN where the teens are eviscerated, ripped limb to limb and devoured in slo-mo by the dinos. Catharsis.

Oh and thought I'd like Ringer with SMG but didn't
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #50
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'
 
murgatroyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Berkeley CA
Posts: 23,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougF View Post
Yeah, I remember.

I thinking more of the "Sorkin is a genius and you don't like it because it's intelligent TV and you don't get it" crowd who were trying so desperately hard to like that show. There must be at least one who will admit that they just didn't like it.
I don't know why I'm biting on this obvious bit of trolling, but here we go again.

Did "Studio 60" have flaws? Of course it did. Did I like every minute of the show? Obviously not, because there is not a single TV show ever made in which every screen minute is absolutely perfect.

But did it have great moments which I enjoyed? Yes, it did. Did I think parts of it were funny? Yes. Did I think parts of it were smart? Yes.

What I don't get is why I'm supposed to apologize for enjoying it, or suck up to the people on this forum who didn't like it in order not to appear "stuck up", or something.

I don't get why those of us who were watching Studio 60 and enjoying the bits we did couldn't have a conversation about it on this forum without people coming in every single week and thread crapping in every single thread and crowing about how bad the ratings were, while those of us who liked it just wanted to talk about the people and the stories and what had happened in the actual episodes.

If anyone was acting out of desperation, it was the boo-birds who spent an awful amount of energy going out and crapping on the stuff they didn't like.

So you didn't like the show. I get that.

I don't get why it is necessary for you to project all kinds of nonsense on people who simply liked something you didn't like.
__________________
"The capacity of human beings to disappoint me is never ending." -- Ereth
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #51
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious
 
Maui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Decatur, IL
Posts: 13,303
My most notable one (based on the thread I started here once)

Mad Men - never made it past episode 4 or 5.
__________________
Only the weak are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.
Maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #52
LisaJaco
Registered User
 
LisaJaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 128
I expected to like HBO's "Girls" because i like Judd Apatow and saw the main character/writer being interviewed on some late night talk show and was impressed by her.

The first episode - unmemorable. Too many characters introduced at one time, the girls were annoying and the men were wimps. I failed to develop a connection with any of the people. The show's constantly being compared to a modern day Sex and the City but lack beautiful clothing/shoes, so add that and who wants to watch self-absorbed 20-year-olds dressed like grannies?

Not sure if I should give this another chance. I didn't laugh one time.
LisaJaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #53
robbhimself
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 312
terra nova - teen angst
alcatraz - they had a great idea, but no clue what to do with it
up all night - that one actress (with the talk show) ruined it for me
robbhimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #54
DougF
Registered User
 
DougF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 13,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
I don't know why I'm biting on this obvious bit of trolling, but here we go again.

Did "Studio 60" have flaws? Of course it did. Did I like every minute of the show? Obviously not, because there is not a single TV show ever made in which every screen minute is absolutely perfect.

But did it have great moments which I enjoyed? Yes, it did. Did I think parts of it were funny? Yes. Did I think parts of it were smart? Yes.

What I don't get is why I'm supposed to apologize for enjoying it, or suck up to the people on this forum who didn't like it in order not to appear "stuck up", or something.

I don't get why those of us who were watching Studio 60 and enjoying the bits we did couldn't have a conversation about it on this forum without people coming in every single week and thread crapping in every single thread and crowing about how bad the ratings were, while those of us who liked it just wanted to talk about the people and the stories and what had happened in the actual episodes.

If anyone was acting out of desperation, it was the boo-birds who spent an awful amount of energy going out and crapping on the stuff they didn't like.

So you didn't like the show. I get that.

I don't get why it is necessary for you to project all kinds of nonsense on people who simply liked something you didn't like.
And I didn't get why it was necessary for those who liked the show to tell those who didn't that it was because they weren't smart enough to get it.

I really couldn't care less if someone likes a show I don't. I just found the whole Studio 60 thing fascinating. From the "greatest show ever"-type comments before anyone had even seen it to the "it's the timeslot" or "it's the lead-in" blaming for the bad ratings to the already-mentioned comments about intelligence. I can't recall another show before or since that generated that kind of talk, at least to the same degree.

I didn't like the show, but I'll give Sorkin credit for having such devoted fans.
DougF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #55
dylanemcgregor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Corner of Fifth and Vermouth
Posts: 8,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaJaco View Post
I expected to like HBO's "Girls" because i like Judd Apatow and saw the main character/writer being interviewed on some late night talk show and was impressed by her.

The first episode - unmemorable. Too many characters introduced at one time, the girls were annoying and the men were wimps. I failed to develop a connection with any of the people. The show's constantly being compared to a modern day Sex and the City but lack beautiful clothing/shoes, so add that and who wants to watch self-absorbed 20-year-olds dressed like grannies?

Not sure if I should give this another chance. I didn't laugh one time.
My girlfriend worked on the pilot for this show. She said the crew called it Sex in the City for hipsters; and hipsters aren't exactly known for their pretty shoes. I've only seen two episodes of the show, and the first was before they had done the final editing. To me it is funny/painful in the same kind of way as The Office is. I sort of like it, but I can only take it in small doses. I can definitely see why people wouldn't find it enjoyable at all though.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dylanemcgregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:58 AM   #56
danterner
Not it!
 
danterner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Greenacres, FL
Posts: 9,370
(RE: The Wire)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner

I'm on episode 4 right now, and I like it but don't love it yet. I certainly don't see how it gets on people's Best Ever lists, but I'm going to keep watching and give it more of a chance.
Just finished season one last night. I can begin to see how it gets on people's Best Ever lists, now. Thinking back on the type and quality of television storytelling that predominated when this aired, it is especially amazing. It still holds up. Anxious to start season 2.
__________________
Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:43 AM   #57
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 35,151
Persons of Interest (my hope was it would be different than the typical CBS procedural but really it wasn't, just another cop show with a gimmick, didn't like the Spy show by Abrams either on NBC, which I expected to like)
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #58
markz
Hilarity Ensues
 
markz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connersville, IN
Posts: 12,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
I want to know why some people don’t like NCIS:LA? I like this show better then NCIS because I am getting tire of Mark HARMON (Gibbs). They should have killed him off when he demanded a raise.
FYP

NCIS:LA just hasn't made us (my wife & I) care about the characters the way NCIS has. Until they added Deeks (the cop) to the team we were about to cancel our SP. We like his interaction with Kensi so now there are at least two people we care about. If the show were to be cancelled, I wouldn't be too upset though I will still watch it if it is on.


As for other shows I wanted to like but didn't:

Caprica
Alcatraz
The Firm

Just couldn't get into them.

ETA:

I enjoyed Studio 60 although it wasn't near as good as the other Sorkin shows I loved!
__________________
- Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:00 AM   #59
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 35,151
Happy Endings was another one. I was starting to get into some of the "friends" style comedies that were coming around at the same time (I really liked Traffic Light, if you remember that one), but Happy Endings just fell flat to me. Seemed they were trying too hard for laughs. Of course that has turned out to be the most successful of the bunch.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #60
fmowry
Registered User
 
fmowry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 10,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Happy Endings was another one. I was starting to get into some of the "friends" style comedies that were coming around at the same time (I really liked Traffic Light, if you remember that one), but Happy Endings just fell flat to me. Seemed they were trying too hard for laughs. Of course that has turned out to be the most successful of the bunch.
I liked it at the beginning but I think it's gotten better the last 5-6 episodes.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoģ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |