TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #241
BigJimOutlaw

Oh good, according to Megazone Tivo is going to be at The Cable Show next week. Maybe we'll get some more tidbits about either of these boxes on Monday. From Tivo's press blurb:

"New this year, TiVo is showcasing its whole-home and TV-everywhere solutions, which offer the same award-winning TiVo experience on every screen, big or small. "

Tivo showed off the Premiere Q and Preview at this event last year. Maybe we'll get lucky and see some hardware.

Article: http://www.gizmolovers.com/2012/05/1...how-next-week/
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #242
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

As Big Jim noted TiVo will be at The Cable Show this week and I have an appointment to meet with them on Monday morning and I'll certainly be looking for clarification on their plans.

What I said earlier about the IP STB coming to retail is my understanding of what I've been told to date. But I don't work for TiVo, clearly, and I can't speak for them. And plans can always change right up until the last second so until the boxes are actually on retail shelves nothing is 100% certain. But my understanding is that the IP STB will be offered to both MSOs and via retail, while the TiVo Preview is unlikely to come to retail.

I've seen questions on why the MSOs would want the IP STB instead of the Preview - and that's simple: cost. The Preview is more expensive as it has more hardware, and it requires a CableCARD - more cost again. Look at other offerings out there, like the DISH Hopper. The tuners are on the main box and the client boxes stream from those tuners. That's the concept for the IP STB. You could have an XL4 with IP STBs and only have one CableCARD for the home. (Or perhaps an XL6, which would max out what an M-Card can do.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #243
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Oh good, according to Megazone Tivo is going to be at The Cable Show next week. Maybe we'll get some more tidbits about either of these boxes on Monday.
Maybe...

davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #244
tomm1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
Maybe...

i see an IPad and a phone. Im looking forward to both Megazone and Zatz write ups!
tomm1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:25 PM   #245
MichaelK

had the "everything delivered" shot from the amazon prime threads railing about the "one box" ;-)

But can't wait to hear the reports!
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:06 AM   #246
BigJimOutlaw

Can't quite make out the devices in the bedrooms but thanks for the tease.

Looks like it's either flat or shaped like the bottom of a pyramid. lol.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:10 AM   #247
BigJimOutlaw

http://www.lightreading.com/document...&site=lr_cable

BOSTON -- TiVo Inc. (NASDAQ: TIVO), the creator of and a leader in advanced television services, including digital video recorders (DVRs), for consumers, content distributors and consumer electronics manufacturers, today announced two major enhancements to its whole-home viewing solution. Its IP set-top box, delivers the TiVo experience on secondary televisions throughout the home. TiVo Stream, provides transcoding to enable content viewing on mobile devices.

Through these new products, operators working with TiVo can give their subscribers the content they want on any screen within the home, including secondary televisions, tablets and smart phones and all through the same easy-to-use TiVo interface. For example, the IP set-top box compliments the home’s primary TiVo DVR by extending the TiVo experience onto secondary TVs including live and recorded television viewing. TiVo Stream delivers content to a customer’s tablet or mobile device, creating a cohesive viewing experience no matter how they choose to watch their programs. Both products are optimized for operator distribution, including automated provisioning and activation, and the low-capital costs that operators demand.

Tom Rogers, President and CEO, TiVo Inc. said, “Consumers not only want an enjoyable TV experience, but now demand choice and the flexibility to watch content on multiple devices and screens within the home. TiVo has worked with our operator customers to create a suite of affordable companion devices that deliver a cohesive experience regardless of the screen the customer wants to use.”
Old 05-21-2012, 12:14 AM   #248
BigJimOutlaw

So we have one of the names.

The transcoder is the Tivo Stream. The IP box is still nameless apparently.

The press release suggests they're both MSO products, which is expected. But this doesn't rule out retail.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 05-21-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:43 AM   #249
BigJimOutlaw

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...IP_Set_Top.php

"TiVo plans to release both products at retail and through select cable operators. The company said it will announce details on pricing and availability for both the IP set-top box and TiVo Stream in the coming months. "
Old 05-21-2012, 06:29 AM   #250
davezatz
Funkadelic

My post is up and here's a pic from The Cable Show floor.

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2012-05/...r-fall-launch/

Highlights:
  • TiVo transcoder gets a name: Stream
  • TiVo IP-STB remains nameless
  • Summer retail launch for both moved to fall

PS My partner Mari is going to try and get us better pictures later today. Although, MZ may beat us to the punch and I'm sure he'll have a deeper dive as he typically does.

PPS There will be a press release. Not sure what time it'll cross the wires. 8AM is typical for TiVo.

Last edited by davezatz : 05-21-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:55 AM   #251
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
My post is up and here's a pic from The Cable Show floor.

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2012-05/...r-fall-launch/

Highlights:
  • TiVo transcoder gets a name: Stream
  • TiVo IP-STB remains nameless
  • Summer retail launch for both moved to fall

PS My partner Mari is going to try and get us better pictures later today. Although, MZ may beat us to the punch and I'm sure he'll have a deeper dive as he typically does.

PPS There will be a press release. Not sure what time it'll cross the wires. 8AM is typical for TiVo.
SO is the box on the right the TiVo Stream? If it is, then that looks much larger and different than the picture a couple of posts up. The IP STB looks small but has a funky shape.

Although the IP STB is what I'm mainly interested in. I plan on selling my Premiere XL and replacing it with the IP STB. And I'll probably get the TiVo Stream box just for the heck of it.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:57 AM   #252
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
SO is the box on the right the TiVo Stream? If it is, then that looks much larger and different than the picture a couple of posts up. The IP STB looks small but has a funky shape.
The box on the left is the IP STB. The box on the right is the Preview. The Stream is not in this photo.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:01 AM   #253
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
The box on the left is the IP STB. The box on the right is the Preview. The Stream is not in this photo.
OK. Thanks.

Do they show how the IP STB will work with multiple Elites errr XL4s in the home? How does it decide what tuner to grab?
Old 05-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #254
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Do they show how the IP STB will work with multiple Elites errr XL4s in the home? How does it decide what tuner to grab?
My pics were taken before the show floor opened and I'm not actually in attendance... We'll have to wait for Gabe (Tech of the Hub) or Megazone to fill us in after they go hands on.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #255
Aero 1

will the ip box be moca?

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #256
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
will the ip box be moca?
Yah, it has MoCA. Presumably, we'll also be able to use Ethernet in lieu of MoCA for retail.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:43 AM   #257
Aero 1

Quote:
Yah, it has MoCA. Presumably, we'll also be able to use Ethernet in lieu of MoCA for retail.
sweet. i was counting on moca so i dont have to run a drop to my kitchen.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:46 AM   #258
aindik

Does my provider have to bless the IP STB or can I just use it?

Will the Stream be able to stream to competitor STBs (like Roku or AppleTV) or just mobile devices? If I could replace 3 DVRs with one XL4, one Stream, and 3 AppleTVs, that would be pretty cool. If I need to buy 3 IP STBs, that would be less cool.

Can the IP STBs do Amazon stuff? If so, Prime streaming, or download only?
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #259
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
Does my provider have to bless the IP STB or can I just use it?

Will the Stream be able to stream to competitor STBs (like Roku or AppleTV) or just mobile devices? If I could replace 3 DVRs with one XL4, one Stream, and 3 AppleTVs, that would be pretty cool. If I need to buy 3 IP STBs, that would be less cool.

Can the IP STBs do Amazon stuff? If so, Prime streaming, or download only?
The IP STB is supposed to replicate the functionality of the Premiere, minus those CableCARDs. So I'd think it'd do Netflix (for retail). Amazon is interesting - their app hasn't been updated and they download the videos, versus stream. Not sure if the IP STB will have sufficient storage or if they would support it.

Right now the Stream is being pitched for smartphones and tablets. Could they make a Roku client? Probably. Will they? Probably not - they'd want you to buy the IP STB instead. Apple TV only has apps from companies/services Apple has partnered with, so I doubt you'll see it there.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:00 AM   #260
aindik

Quote:
The IP STB is supposed to replicate the functionality of the Premiere, minus those CableCARDs. So I'd think it'd do Netflix (for retail). Amazon is interesting - their app hasn't been updated and they download the videos, versus stream. Not sure if the IP STB will have sufficient storage or if they would support it.
If I d/l an Amazon video to my DVR, can I watch it on another TV via the IPSTB? Can I watch it on my iPad via the Stream?

Quote:
Right now the Stream is being pitched for smartphones and tablets. Could they make a Roku client? Probably. Will they? Probably not - they'd want you to buy the IP STB instead. Apple TV only has apps from companies/services Apple has partnered with, so I doubt you'll see it there.
If I have to buy a TiVo IP STB for TiVo, an AppleTV for iTunes and Airplay, and a Roku for Amazon Prime, I'm going to run out of HDMI inputs pretty fast.

Can the Stream do live TV, or only recordings?
Old 05-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #261
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
If I d/l an Amazon video to my DVR, can I watch it on another TV via the IPSTB? Can I watch it on my iPad via the Stream?
Unknown, but I doubt it. Of course, this problem would go away if Amazon would produced an updated Instant Streaming app for TiVo.

Quote:
Can the Stream do live TV, or only recordings?
Yes, it can do live TV in addition to recordings.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:12 AM   #262
aindik

Quote:
Yes, it can do live TV in addition to recordings.
Sweet. Any restrictions on that?
Old 05-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #263
sbiller

Quote:
Sweet. Any restrictions on that?
There shouldn't be any restrictions on live TV. It will essentially "steal" a tuner from the base Premiere unit.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #264
sbiller

Quote:

I expect that at some point it would make sense for TiVo to support smart TVs and other 3rd party devices like Roku, ATV, etc. I suspect they won't be making a lot of money (if anything) on the IP-STB. Once a customer has a TiVo gateway device in their home, they've locked them into the TiVo eco-system which should be their goal. We know that Charter, as an example, wants to lower their capital expense by supporting smart TVs and other customer provided media devices.

The catch with Smart TVs is the Smart TV vendor would need to write the app to support TiVo. If there aren't a lot of devices in the field, it wouldn't pay for the TV maker to devote the engineering resources to write the app.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #265
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
I expect that at some point it would make sense for TiVo to support smart TVs and other 3rd party devices like Roku, ATV, etc. I suspect they won't be making a lot of money (if anything) on the IP-STB.
Doubt it. Us retail customers are just gravy at this point. Their core business/customer is the cable industry and there's no need to integrate into those devices for them - the Stream is about 'second screen'.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #266
innocentfreak

It will be interesting to see how well the Stream box does in offloading.

According to the Multichannel article we should see some transcoding built into the new models in 2013. I am thinking this is the first mention of a new TiVo model?

http://www.multichannel.com/blog/BIT...Vo_Stream_.php

Quote:
Eventually, TiVo expects to embed transcoding features directly into its DVRs, in products to be released in 2013, Klugman said. The company hasn’t divulged what transcoding technology it would use for that.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #267
muzzymate

These boxes sound amazing and I can't wait to add them to my existing Premiere setup. Now if TiVo could hurry up with that developer SDK so we can get an expanded app lineup.

My Tivo Wishlist for it to truly be the "One Box" that it set out to be includes:

- Additional video sources including but not limited to: HBO Go, Epix, ESPN3, VUDU, Vimeo, MLB.TV, NBA, NHL, AOL HD, Amazon Prime Streaming...
- Unified Playlists - I'm curious to see how the IP-STB handles multiple TiVos on the network. I'd love on the Premiere and the new IP-STB top to be presented one list regardless of where the content is. Now that streaming is enabled, this shouldn't be that difficult.
- A better media serving PC/Mac application that's integrates in with TiVo's excellent search; TiVo Desktop doesn't handle hundreds of videos well nor does it fit with the rest of the TiVo UI. Streambaby functions well but is complicated to setup for novices and isn't integrated with Search.
muzzymate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:12 AM   #268
jmpage2

It's great to get confirmation that these two new boxes are coming to retail... it's awful to find out we could be waiting till the end of the year to get them.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #269
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
It will be interesting to see how well the Stream box does in offloading.

According to the Multichannel article we should see some transcoding built into the new models in 2013. I am thinking this is the first mention of a new TiVo model?

http://www.multichannel.com/blog/BIT...Vo_Stream_.php
I guess I'll be selling my Elites sooner than I thought.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #270
fyodor

You won't be able to the IP STB to your existing retail setup. Read the press release again. The IP STB will only be able to stream from a Tivo Premier Q (The provider box) whereas the the streamer can stream from either a Premier or Premier Q.

They don't want to lose out on the subscription fees by having people replace their second retail premieres with IP STBs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzymate View Post
These boxes sound amazing and I can't wait to add them to my existing Premiere setup. Now if TiVo could hurry up with that developer SDK so we can get an expanded app lineup.

My Tivo Wishlist for it to truly be the "One Box" that it set out to be includes:

- Additional video sources including but not limited to: HBO Go, Epix, ESPN3, VUDU, Vimeo, MLB.TV, NBA, NHL, AOL HD, Amazon Prime Streaming...
- Unified Playlists - I'm curious to see how the IP-STB handles multiple TiVos on the network. I'd love on the Premiere and the new IP-STB top to be presented one list regardless of where the content is. Now that streaming is enabled, this shouldn't be that difficult.
- A better media serving PC/Mac application that's integrates in with TiVo's excellent search; TiVo Desktop doesn't handle hundreds of videos well nor does it fit with the rest of the TiVo UI. Streambaby functions well but is complicated to setup for novices and isn't integrated with Search.

fyodor is offline   Reply With Quote