TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #1591
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
There is some space somewhere on the original drive's MFS partitions that TiVo has reserved for recording advertising on, like when it records 30 minutes of paid tv to get the movie trailers and junk for which it puts a link at the bottom of every menu page. I think that stuff is called showcases.

Supersizing "unreserves" that space. Doesn't mean it won't record that stuff if that space is still available, just that it can no longer count on the space not having already been filled with something you wanted to record.
I'm pretty sure that what it does is reduce the amount of reserved space rather than eliminate it. By default, the TiVo reserves @10% which would be 200GB for a 2TB drive. Way more than it needs.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #1592
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I'm pretty sure that what it does is reduce the amount of reserved space rather than eliminate it. By default, the TiVo reserves @10% which would be 200GB for a 2TB drive. Way more than it needs.
I bow to your greater wisdom.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:08 PM   #1593
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
Yes--the copy remains the same size as your original drive, not utilizing the empty space after that. After the copy, the expand adjusts the file system tables to utilize the new space for data.
To be a tad more specific, expand creates extra MFS partitions in the extra space, provided you don't already have the maximum number of partitions allowed by a TiVo.

If you're starting with the original drive, you still can add partitions.

If you've upgraded once already, maybe not.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #1594
rhoelzer

I admit I haven't read every page of this thread but I've done some searches and haven't found anything to help.

I'm trying to upgrade to a 2TB drive from the stock 320 and can't get either of 2 computers to recognize the original drive with MFSLive.

I've got a fairly new Dell desktop using internal SATA and I've tried a WD external USB enclosure. I've tried the boot CD, booting to flash drive, and WinMFS. I've also tried with the USB on my laptop.

Can anything think of something I might be missing?

I've upgraded S1 and S2 drives back in the day when everything was manual commands so I don't have a problem doing that if I have to. Is there a quick guide for doing it manually? And I'd assume the first thing I need to do is run a command to make sure the drives are there as far as the software is concerned.

Any help and minimal flaming would be much appreciated..
rhoelzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #1595
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoelzer View Post
I admit I haven't read every page of this thread but I've done some searches and haven't found anything to help.

I'm trying to upgrade to a 2TB drive from the stock 320 and can't get either of 2 computers to recognize the original drive with MFSLive.

I've got a fairly new Dell desktop using internal SATA and I've tried a WD external USB enclosure. I've tried the boot CD, booting to flash drive, and WinMFS. I've also tried with the USB on my laptop.

I've upgraded S1 and S2 drives back in the day when everything was manual commands so I don't have a problem doing that if I have to. Is there a quick guide for doing it manually? And I'd assume the first thing I need to do is run a command to make sure the drives are there as far as the software is concerned.

For starters, what TiVo do you have that you want to upgrade?

For Premiere, the method of choice is the jmfs, so you're in the right thread. Hard to tell what you're maybe missing with so little detail, though. The jmfs boot CD (different from the MFSLive one you mention) is pretty idiot-proof. It tells you what drives it recognized, and it essentially defaults to "dupe the only TiVo drive attached to the only non-formatted drive attached". Hard to go wrong there.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #1596
unitron

Quote:

Are you talking about a Premiere?

Do you also have an external attached to that TiVo?

The only thing you can use to upgrade a Premiere (at least for now) is jmfs.

The MFS Live cd will show you the partition map

pdisk -l /dev/sd"whicheverletterthedriveis"

but

mfsinfo /dev/sd"whicheverletterthedriveis"

will choke on the S4 structure because it differs from the S1 through S3 structure somewhat, and the original MFS Tools and their successor, MFS Live, were written before the S4 came out, as was WinMFS, with which you should never touch an S4 drive.

Also, there is currently no way, as there is for S1-S3, to make a backup image of an S4 drive.

The only thing you can do is use another drive of equal or greater size and something like

dd_rescue

to "Xerox" it.

Which is what jmfs does (except I think it uses

ddrescue

or some other

dd

variant), and then it adds another MFS partition in the extra space and rewrites the partition map and all the partition headers to properly incorporate it so the TiVo can and will use it.

You really should go back and read the first several posts of this thread at least before you do something irreversible that will make you an unhappy camper.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #1597
rhoelzer

Yep, it's a Premiere.

It is the jmfs, this image. premiere_linux_inc_supersize_jmfs-rev104

When it boots it just tells me it doesn't see a Tivo drive and gives me the options to retry, shut down, or exit.

Mostly wondering if it's just the computer and the enclosure I happen to have aren't working..

The desktop is a Dell Inspiron 620 and BIOS is current.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
For starters, what TiVo do you have that you want to upgrade?

For Premiere, the method of choice is the jmfs, so you're in the right thread. Hard to tell what you're maybe missing with so little detail, though. The jmfs boot CD (different from the MFSLive one you mention) is pretty idiot-proof. It tells you what drives it recognized, and it essentially defaults to "dupe the only TiVo drive attached to the only non-formatted drive attached". Hard to go wrong there.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #1598
unitron

Quote:
Yep, it's a Premiere.

It is the jmfs, this image. premiere_linux_inc_supersize_jmfs-rev104

When it boots it just tells me it doesn't see a Tivo drive and gives me the options to retry, shut down, or exit.

Mostly wondering if it's just the computer and the enclosure I happen to have aren't working..

The desktop is a Dell Inspiron 620 and BIOS is current.
Does the 320 still work just fine in the Premiere?

When you boot the computer with it attached, hit the delete key or what ever is necessary to go into the BIOS/CMOS settings and see if the computer itself is recognizing the drive.

I think the jmfs cd will allow you to do

fdisk -l

or

pdisk -l

which should show you if the jmfs is finding the drive at all.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #1599
rhoelzer

That's what I was looking for.

fdisk -l doesn't show either drive. They are there in the BIOS.

Looks like jmfs doesn't like the Dell. And no real options in the BIOS that look like they could be causing a problem.

I've gotten rid of all of the older computers I used to have sitting around so don't have anything else to try.

Seems like I remember seeing something about manually loading a driver or being able to get it added to jmfs.

Or my other option would be to go find a couple cheap enclosures, is there a list of compatible enclosures that are available at the major retailers?

Or will I run into the same problem that the USB isn't supported either? I checked the WD enclosure I have and it doesn't see it either.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #1600
unitron

Quote:
That's what I was looking for.

fdisk -l doesn't show either drive. They are there in the BIOS.

Looks like jmfs doesn't like the Dell. And no real options in the BIOS that look like they could be causing a problem.

I've gotten rid of all of the older computers I used to have sitting around so don't have anything else to try.

Seems like I remember seeing something about manually loading a driver or being able to get it added to jmfs.

Or my other option would be to go find a couple cheap enclosures, is there a list of compatible enclosures that are available at the major retailers?

Or will I run into the same problem that the USB isn't supported either? I checked the WD enclosure I have and it doesn't see it either.
Are you trying to upgrade a Premiere?

Are you already using an external drive with it?

Do you have a bootable copy of the MFS Live cd?

If the answer to that last question is yes, see if

fdisk -l

finds the drive when you boot with it.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:01 PM   #1601
rhoelzer

Yes it's a Premiere.

No external drive.

Using bootable flash, CD doesn't seem to boot right, adds to thought that the motherboard/drive controller isn't supported.

See my last post about fdisk not showing the drives.

And the drive is still good in the Premiere.

Quote:
Are you trying to upgrade a Premiere?

Are you already using an external drive with it?

Do you have a bootable copy of the MFS Live cd?

If the answer to that last question is yes, see if

fdisk -l

finds the drive when you boot with it.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:56 AM   #1602
copwriter

I'm having a similar problem. I have a brand new Premiere that has the cable card installed and programmed, and the box itself is activated with TiVo.
  1. I downloaded, burned to a CD, and ran the jmfs v.1.04 files by booting to the CD.
  2. The TiVo drive and a brand-new, out-0f-the-box WD 20EURS drive are in side-by-side slots in a Kingwin dual SATA drive dock, connected to the computer by USB.
  3. When the guide script loads, it reports no TiVo drives found. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the dock several times and rebooting. Same result.
  4. fdisk shows the internal HD in the computer and both the TiVO and the WD20EURS drives (as /rev/sdb and /rev/sdc, respectively), with the appropriate drive capacities, so the computer is seeing the two drives.
  5. When I couldn't get the guide script to recognize the TiVo drive, I tried using the ddrescue command to copy the TiVo drive to the WD20EURS. The command took several hours and completed with 300 GB showing as transferred.
  6. I didn't know how to run the EXPAND command from the command line (Linux noob), so that didn't happen.
  7. Putting the WD20EURS in the Premiere causes it to flash lights and loop. I don't think there's anything on the drive the TiVo can read.
  8. Replacing the original TiVo drive in the Premiere causes the Premiere to boot normally, with everything there that was there before.
I'm basically back at Square One. Since the computer and the Linux setup can see the drives, why can't jmfs see that one of them is a TiVo drive? If anyone has any suggestions, please be explicit with regard to Linux commands, as I am close to flying blind here.
copwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:20 AM   #1603
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by copwriter View Post
I'm having a similar problem. I have a brand new Premiere that has the cable card installed and programmed, and the box itself is activated with TiVo.
  1. I downloaded, burned to a CD, and ran the jmfs v.1.04 files by booting to the CD.
  2. The TiVo drive and a brand-new, out-0f-the-box WD 20EURS drive are in side-by-side slots in a Kingwin dual SATA drive dock, connected to the computer by USB.
  3. When the guide script loads, it reports no TiVo drives found. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the dock several times and rebooting. Same result.
  4. fdisk shows the internal HD in the computer and both the TiVO and the WD20EURS drives (as /rev/sdb and /rev/sdc, respectively), with the appropriate drive capacities, so the computer is seeing the two drives.
  5. When I couldn't get the guide script to recognize the TiVo drive, I tried using the ddrescue command to copy the TiVo drive to the WD20EURS. The command took several hours and completed with 300 GB showing as transferred.
  6. I didn't know how to run the EXPAND command from the command line (Linux noob), so that didn't happen.
  7. Putting the WD20EURS in the Premiere causes it to flash lights and loop. I don't think there's anything on the drive the TiVo can read.
  8. Replacing the original TiVo drive in the Premiere causes the Premiere to boot normally, with everything there that was there before.
I'm basically back at Square One. Since the computer and the Linux setup can see the drives, why can't jmfs see that one of them is a TiVo drive? If anyone has any suggestions, please be explicit with regard to Linux commands, as I am close to flying blind here.

"[*]The TiVo drive and a brand-new, out-0f-the-box WD 20EURS drive are in side-by-side slots in a Kingwin dual SATA drive dock, connected to the computer by USB."

There's your problem. jmfs has to see the drives connected directly to SATA ports.

You could try booting with the MFS Live cd v1.4 (get zip of .iso image at mfslive.org) and "Xerox"-ing the original drive to the 2TB by

dd_rescue -v /dev/sd"x" /dev/sd"y"

where "x" is the drive letter assigned to the original drive and "y" is the letter assigned to the 2TB.

Do not get them reversed or you will overwrite the original drive with the 2TB's zero-y emptiness.

Since the data has to travel out the USB of the dock into the computer and be turned around and sent back the way it came, expect it to take a while. Quite a while.

After that finishes, type in

poweroff

without doing any looking at either drive with any of the other utilities on the MFS Live cd v1.4

Then disconnect the original drive and connect the 2TB directly to a SATA controller, boot with jmfs, and tell it to expand.

That might work.

If you have any other hard drives attached to that motherboard, like say the one with Windows on it, or any other data you value, better to disconnect them while all of this is going on.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:36 PM   #1604
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by copwriter View Post
[*]The TiVo drive and a brand-new, out-0f-the-box WD 20EURS drive are in side-by-side slots in a Kingwin dual SATA drive dock, connected to the computer by USB.
There's your problem. While it should work if the drives are in separate docks, even if connected by USB, JMFS will not work with a dual dock. Actually, I'm not sure that any of the TiVo upgrade tools will work with a dual dock.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #1605
Merle Corey

Quote:
See my last post about fdisk not showing the drives.

And the drive is still good in the Premiere.
Is your PC in AHCI mode? It's a BIOS setting for how to handle the disks, and AHCI is standard on newer systems as it delivers better performance.

If that's the case, you'll need to turn off AHCI to get this done. The other option should be "IDE" or "ATA" or possibly even "Legacy" or similar.
Merle Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:06 AM   #1606
copwriter

Quote:
There's your problem. While it should work if the drives are in separate docks, even if connected by USB, JMFS will not work with a dual dock. Actually, I'm not sure that any of the TiVo upgrade tools will work with a dual dock.
You nailed it. I took the cover off a PC, disconnected the SATA cables to the internal HDs and re-attached them to the new and old TiVo drives, and re-ran JMFS. Worked the first time, in the computer and in the TiVo. Many thanks for your help. Comer, appreciation fee for your work is enroute.
copwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #1607
mosborne

JMFS Live CD download

Hi:
Is there a new link to download the image? It appears the link is broke to mediafire. If it is still working, please let me know and I'll work the problem on my end.
Thanks
mosborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #1608
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosborne View Post
Hi:
Is there a new link to download the image? It appears the link is broke to mediafire. If it is still working, please let me know and I'll work the problem on my end.
Thanks
http://mfslive.org always has the links (ETA for theirs. Hold on, I'm seeing if I can find jmfs one.

They are:

WINMFS: http://www.mfslive.org/winmfs

Linux Boot CD: http://www.mfslive.org/download.htm
Old 05-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #1609
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Here, haven't tried it yet, maybe give this a shot:

http://www.general-files.com/files-r/rev104/
Old 05-22-2012, 11:52 PM   #1610
ShinySteelRobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
2TB is the best value, and no issues upgrading from a stock TiVo 320GB HDD.

1st Choice
WD20EURS, 2TB WD AV-GP same model in the Elite/XL4 - "Designed to last in always-on, streaming digital audio/video environments such as PVRs, DVRs and surveillance video recorders."
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita.../dp/B0042AG9V8

2nd Choice
WD20EARX, 2TB Caviar Green Desktop Drive
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita.../dp/B004VFJ9MK
Earlier this year I upgraded with a 2TB EARX drive, but it started becoming glitchy (pixelization, spontaneous reboots, etc). The SMART test kickstart reported a failing drive.

After I copied everything over to a EURS, it's been smooth sailing. I definitely recommend the EURS over the EARX if at all possible. The price premium over the EARX is only about 10% online.
ShinySteelRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #1611
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinySteelRobot View Post
Earlier this year I upgraded with a 2TB EARX drive, but it started becoming glitchy (pixelization, spontaneous reboots, etc). The SMART test kickstart reported a failing drive.

After I copied everything over to a EURS, it's been smooth sailing. I definitely recommend the EURS over the EARX if at all possible. The price premium over the EARX is only about 10% online.
I don't think one bad drive makes a case that the EARX are NG, I have been using them for a few years now and never had a problem, I am sure others have also.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #1612
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I don't think one bad drive makes a case that the EARX are NG, I have been using them for a few years now and never had a problem, I am sure others have also.
I thought the EARX has only been available for a little over 1 year.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #1613
mosborne

Thanks, it is downloading now.
mosborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #1614
lessd

Quote:
I thought the EARX has only been available for a little over 1 year.
Yes, your correct as i upgraded some of my TiVos I got at the end of 2010 sometime in early 2011, so my use of years was incorrect.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:48 AM   #1615
Slother93

Thanks comer!
Slother93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #1616
JoeTaxpayer

I used this to upgrade a Premiere to 1.5TB and it's been great.

I have a 2TB Premiere Elite (or whatever they call it) on order. Will this SW work on the Elite as well?
Given that the drive is the weak link in my life, I was thinking to just back up the fresh drive and lock it away. Then, when the day of failure occurs, I can be up again in minutes, stress free.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:03 PM   #1617
b13

Exclamation Ok,did I miss a step?

So the last TIVO upgrade I did was from a Stock 320GB Western Digital to a 1TB Western Digital.

I did this roughly 3+ years ago...yeah the good old days. Let's put it this way I did it before this tool was out and everything was command line :-) No "fast gui" or Multiple Choice Interface.

Anyways, 1st let me give props to the coder/script writer. The interface is fast easy and user friendly

Ok now on to my problem. I copied the data from my WD 1TB to my new 2TB Drive.After 6-10 hours of data copying it asked me "do you want to expand" I selected yes.

Once the Tivo booted it complained about not having an expanded drive.... ?

To my suprise the COPY worked/the tivo works/all my shows copied. However, the remaining other terrabyte is not being used

My Tivo shows roughly 150HD Hours and I am still @ 89% Full (which is what I was on with the 1TB Drive)

Did I miss a step?
b13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:18 PM   #1618
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTaxpayer View Post
I used this to upgrade a Premiere to 1.5TB and it's been great.

I have a 2TB Premiere Elite (or whatever they call it) on order. Will this SW work on the Elite as well?
Given that the drive is the weak link in my life, I was thinking to just back up the fresh drive and lock it away. Then, when the day of failure occurs, I can be up again in minutes, stress free.
As far as I know the only thing you can do with an Elite drive is "Xerox" it byte by byte to another drive with the

dd

utility or one of the newer utilities that do the same thing a little less cryptically, like

dd_rescue

which, in addition to dd, is on the very handy to have MFS Live cd (free image available at mfslive.org), or with what I think jmfs uses,

ddrescue

Booting into Windows and trying to take a look at the drive with WinMFS is apparently risky for S4 models, and leaves you with a TiVo that won't boot.

As far as I know, 2TB is the upper limit per drive for not just the later S3 models but the S4 platform as well, so you'll have to get another 2TB, and not a 2.5 or 3

And then there's the question of which implementation of "advanced format" by which drive maker might be used on the drive you buy and whether the TiVo can get along with it.

So "dd" the Elite drive to the new drive and try the new drive in the Elite and if it works leave it there and put the original drive in a very safe place for future reference after clearly labeling it and putting a big "Do not use for anything else" on it.

Any of the commercial, proprietary, closed source copying utilites, like Ghost, are possibly designed without TiVo drive structure strictly in mind, and I wouldn't think one could be sure they wouldn't screw something up.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:30 PM   #1619
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by b13 View Post

So the last TIVO upgrade I did was from a Stock 320GB Western Digital to a 1TB Western Digital.

I did this roughly 3+ years ago...yeah the good old days. Let's put it this way I did it before this tool was out and everything was command line :-) No "fast gui" or Multiple Choice Interface.

Anyways, 1st let me give props to the coder/script writer. The interface is fast easy and user friendly

Ok now on to my problem. I copied the data from my WD 1TB to my new 2TB Drive.After 6-10 hours of data copying it asked me "do you want to expand" I selected yes.

Once the Tivo booted it complained about not having an expanded drive.... ?

To my suprise the COPY worked/the tivo works/all my shows copied. However, the remaining other terrabyte is not being used

My Tivo shows roughly 150HD Hours and I am still @ 89% Full (which is what I was on with the 1TB Drive)

Did I miss a step?
You upgraded a Premiere drive?

Or an S3 HD?

The Premiere's stock drive is a 320, but MFS Live and WinMFS do not work on it.

You can use either on an S3 HD (or HD XL), but the stock drive on the HD is only 160GB

Anyway, what happened is somehow you didn't completely fill that 1TB drive, and there's a little space at the end which shows up in the partition map as an Apple Free partition. (You can learn a lot more about this in the S3 jmfs thread).

jmfs works by adding a single 16th partition (that's the TiVo per drive limit, 16 partitons) instead of a pair the way MFS Live and WinMFS do.

If it sees that Apple Free partition it'll copy it along with the rest of the drive to a larger drive, and then expand by adding that single partition, but because of the Apple Free at 16, the new jmfs added partition is partition 17, and since the TiVo limit is 16 per drive, the TiVo thinks #17 is on a separate drive, and the only separate drive it knows about is an external.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #1620
b13

Ok, so where do I go from here? Do I need to recopy the image?

Can i repair the current drive in my tivo with a few linux commands to get that partion showing in the tivo GUI?

I have a Series 4 TIVO aka Tivo Premiere

Quote:
You upgraded a Premiere drive?

Or an S3 HD?

The Premiere's stock drive is a 320, but MFS Live and WinMFS do not work on it.

You can use either on an S3 HD (or HD XL), but the stock drive on the HD is only 160GB

Anyway, what happened is somehow you didn't completely fill that 1TB drive, and there's a little space at the end which shows up in the partition map as an Apple Free partition. (You can learn a lot more about this in the S3 jmfs thread).

jmfs works by adding a single 16th partition (that's the TiVo per drive limit, 16 partitons) instead of a pair the way MFS Live and WinMFS do.

If it sees that Apple Free partition it'll copy it along with the rest of the drive to a larger drive, and then expand by adding that single partition, but because of the Apple Free at 16, the new jmfs added partition is partition 17, and since the TiVo limit is 16 per drive, the TiVo thinks #17 is on a separate drive, and the only separate drive it knows about is an external.

b13 is offline   Reply With Quote