TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-18-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
hummingbird_206

Grey's Anatomy 5/17/2012 Flight (season finale)

Haven't finished watching yet, but wanted to start a thread so discussion could happen without spoiler tags!
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
hummingbird_206

Bye bye Lexie! I won't miss her.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
Satchel

i'm guessing that we'll never see them get rescued...if past seasons are any indication we'll see them 6 months later...I could be wrong though...
Satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
MasterCephus

so I guess they'll use this plane crash (i.e. Lexi's death) as a rallying point to keep as many people as they can to come back. The actors who don't come back will just be written off as dead and those that come back will just have some tough memories of the experience.

I guess it was a good season ender, but seriously, there's got to be some law of averages here that keeps a specific of people from going through all that they have been through (bomb, shootings, plane crash, etc). Even Yang made a joke of it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(transfer almost any video to your Tivo!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a GUI based application to create metadata for pyTivo files
MasterCephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
jehma

It was OK. I think the best disaster was the shooting - much more dramatic tension than this one. It's hard to take it seriously (the plane crash and the post-boards migration) when you know that it's likely that all of them except for a few will wind up back at Seattle Grace.

I did like the parallel scene where they were draining the fluid around Mark's heart at the same time as Owen & Teddy doing the same thing in the hospital, especially since those two were the army field doctors. And not one of them has ANY idea how to make a fire?

I thought Lexie's death was sad, but she wasn't doing much this past season besides pining over Mark. Teddy's character had run it's course as well.

I also liked the contrast between the nonsense at the hospital and the life and death struggle at the plane crash, and that they didn't even know they were missing (although it was completely unrealistic, but I'll let that slide). I wish we had gotten farther before the cliffhanger, but Owen's growing concern was an interesting place to stop.
jehma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

A couple of things bugged me.

1) the obvious: why aren't they all dead?
2) isn't it taking people at Seattle Grace an awfully long time to clue in to the fact that the plane is overdue?

3) are flare guns stored unloaded? (I'm assuming that's why it didn't work, because the flare gun was in one place and the flares ended up somewhere else.)

Last edited by murgatroyd : 05-19-2012 at 06:26 PM. Reason: typos
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:43 PM   #7
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Multi-Quoting a couple of posts from the end of the thread for "Migration" as well as one from this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori View Post
Finale spoiler

Spoiler:

Wow. I really thought that it would be Arizona. Huh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehma View Post
Finale spoiler:

Spoiler:
They seemed to really be foreshadowing it with the Arizona-centric episode with her friend and again in the finale with Callie's speech. I was surprised too, especially since she was coughing up blood and no one seemed to notice.

Casting spoiler + finale spoiler:

Spoiler:
I read that Jessica Capshaw is pregnant and coming back, so I guess they'll use her recovery to cover up the pregnancy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
Bye bye Lexie! I won't miss her.
I agree that the writing they've done for Lexie this year is pretty stupid, but I did like some of the stuff they did with Lexie on the show overall.

Also agree with Lori and jehma that they were telegraphing pretty hard that Arizona was going to buy the farm.

BTW, I don't know if anyone else here is enough of an old fart to remember the National Lampoon Radio Hour. Was I the only person watching and thinking:

Spoiler:
"I can't die with one shoe on!"

Old 05-19-2012, 01:55 AM   #8
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
A couple of things bugged me.

1) the obvious: why aren't they all dead?
They are. They are in purgatory...

Oh, wait, wrong show. Sorry. Oceanic 815 broke up at 20,000 feet and they survived. Apparently you can survive anything on TV!

And I had the same comment as about the pilot of Lost. Not a single person knows the first thing about survival. They didn't plan to be rescued and they didn't look for water to survive until rescue. Panic had clearly set in.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.

Last edited by Ereth : 05-19-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:35 AM   #9
lew

No sign of fire after the plane crashed. Must of run out of fuel.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #10
hummingbird_206

Well, they couldn't have the plane catch on fire because the rescue helicopter would have seen the smoke.

They all seem too stupid to live, but I guess in a way it can be rationalized that they are all smart but have little common sense...I'm reaching...I got nothin' else.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #11
DrEvil
Evil Member

I thought I heard the pilot say that they had lost an engine.

Now why the plane would crash with only one engine out and not declare an emergency with air traffic control is another only on TV mystery.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #12
Wheens

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEvil View Post
I thought I heard the pilot say that they had lost an engine.

Now why the plane would crash with only one engine out and not declare an emergency with air traffic control is another only on TV mystery.
Also, there should have been a copilot; required for that type/ class of aircraft.
Secondly, the ELT is rugged and nearly crash proof , so the chances of it not surviving a crash where nearly all humans on board did is unlikely.
Wheens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #13
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
No sign of fire after the plane crashed. Must of run out of fuel.
All the unspent fuel conveniently ended up somewhere else. Maybe it's where the copilot went.

Maybe that's why they crashed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheens View Post
Also, there should have been a copilot; required for that type/ class of aircraft.
Can anyone guess what aircraft it was supposed to be, or did they just rent random 'crashed airplane bits' from the stock bits-n-pieces prop store? The crash site is remarkably uncluttered, so maybe they couldn't afford to make or rent very many parts.

Edited to add: Meredith (and all the others) are in shock. So what are the odds that she, or any of the other city folks, would be able to wander around looking for Derek and not find him and then make her way back to the crash site again?

Pretty convenient, that.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 05-19-2012 at 06:39 PM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #14
mrdazzo7

I've only seen a couple of episodes of this show but as a writer I can't help but love me some disaster-related season finales so when I read this one was about a plane crash I figured I'd check it out. I'd previously watched the bomb episode and the shooting rampage one, so I know the people who make the show can do good suspense TV... those episodes reminded me of ER, which I still miss.

I'm vaguely familiar with most of the characters from those episodes and from reading way too many TV websites, and I read a synopsis of the prior episode so I wasn't fully lost... as someone who's not a fan of the show, I thought the episode was very good. Despite the picking apart going on over the realistic portrayal of the crash, I thought the suspense and drama of it were solid--the pain, fear, shock and hopelessness, etc.

From a TV writing standpoint, I thought it was well done the way everyone was set up to be moving on to different things and how this will change everything... I read there were cast negotiations a while ago so this was excellent for handling that no matter what happened--even though it ended without a resolution, the effect of the incident could easily be the catalyst for anyone involve to leave--either they die in the first episode of next season, or just decided they don't want to work for what is apparently the worlds most dangerous hospital anymore.

One thing I wasn't clear on was where they were going. I read in the synopsis from the earlier episode something about going to Boise for a conjoined twins case, but I don't get it...why would a team of surgeons from a Seattle hospital be taking a private jet to another state for surgery? I also thought it was weird that a plane full of doctors who were scheduled to perform a surgery don't show up and all the lady does is leave some messages for one guy? I guess dramatic license, but that was just odd.

I thought the death scene was well done too. I don't have any investment in that character but the way that played out was rough (death scenes get me, what can I say)... felt bad when they said she was the main chick's sister... I didn't know that and I was all "damn, that sucks..."

So anyway, there's my .02 (keep the change). From a non-fan of the show, I thought it was good. It sucks that the show is a relationship drama first and a hospital show second because they do some solid work in the other areas, but I just can't sit through the rest of it. ER had a lot of relationship stuff in it but it wasn't the focal point (plus let's face it, ER was just better)... I loved the chaos of ER and especially loved the big "event" episodes, which is why I tune into this show from time to time...nostalgia I guess.

And I have to say, the main chick has to be the most grating character I've ever seen. How anyone could sit through 8 years of that is beyond me.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #15
CraigK
(unspecified)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdazzo7 View Post
One thing I wasn't clear on was where they were going. I read in the synopsis from the earlier episode something about going to Boise for a conjoined twins case, but I don't get it...why would a team of surgeons from a Seattle hospital be taking a private jet to another state for surgery?
They did a successful separation of conjoined twins earlier this season. I'm thinking that Boise needed more expertise than they had so they asked for help. The earlier operation on Grey's Anatomy took two teams of surgeons 18 hours to complete.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:46 PM   #16
Merrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdazzo7 View Post
And I have to say, the main chick has to be the most grating character I've ever seen. How anyone could sit through 8 years of that is beyond me.
My hubby gave up on the show in season one because he couldn't stand her. She's a lot less annoying now than she was in the early years. I think. Maybe I just grew used to her. *laugh*
Merrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:06 AM   #17
Ereth

I liked her better when she was dark and twisty.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote