TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
just_lele

Ebay tivo showed lifetime, but it doesn't have it?

I recently bought a tivo on ebay--a series 2 with lifetime. There was a picture of the screen showing its TSN and that it had lifetime. When I got it, I started setting up, saw that it said lifetime and called tivo while doing guided setup. It then changed to 7: never set up. The tivo people said there was NO lifetime service on this box, but at one time it did have a plan.

Any ideas? Tivo customer service was less than helpful.

Thanks.
just_lele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
windracer
joined the 10k club

Not much you can do other than contact the seller. Are you sure the TSN was the same as the screenshot? Maybe the seller transferred the lifetime service to another box once he sold it to you.

If you do a search here you'll find other threads from people who've had problems buying TiVos with supposed lifetime service off of eBay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
just_lele

Thanks for the reply--I'm POSITIVE that it said lifetime when I turned it on and checked. And the tsn on the ebay posting matches the box.

I can return it, at my expense. I guess I have to. I'm just so aggrivated--I know this is the only kind of box that works with AFN and we are being sent overseas.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
cannonz

If it says lifetime in ebay ad, just open a dispute (after contacting seller) ebay will give you link to print shipping label you won't have to pay shipping.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_lele View Post
Thanks for the reply--I'm POSITIVE that it said lifetime when I turned it on and checked. And the tsn on the ebay posting matches the box.
It could have had lifetime when the seller turned it off. Then he transferred the service to a new box, and shipped the TiVo to you. You turn it on, it still says "lifetime" since that's what it had when it was turned off, but then it connects to the TiVo service for the first time and updates its status and you lose the lifetime.

Hopefully this is just a misunderstanding and you can resolve it with the seller.

|
Old 05-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
oregonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonz View Post
If it says lifetime in ebay ad, just open a dispute (after contacting seller) ebay will give you link to print shipping label you won't have to pay shipping.
Normally the buyer has to pay return shipping in an ebay dispute. It is up to the seller to decide whether to pay for return shipping or not. If you are not well versed in ebay procedures, do a bit of research before proceeding with a dispute and even before communicating any more with the seller. You have rights as a buyer and some power, but you can end up forfeiting some of the rights or the power if you proceed incorrectly. For example, if the seller is a regular seller, they care about their feedback, so you have some power there. But if you say anything like "pay the return shipping or I'll give you bad feedback" then that is considered feedback extortion and any feedback you leave could be removed and an experienced seller knows it. This forum is a great place to get the Tivo-related info you need, look at the ebay discussion forums for the ebay info you need.
oregonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #7
cannonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonman View Post
Normally the buyer has to pay return shipping in an ebay dispute. It is up to the seller to decide whether to pay for return shipping or not. If you are not well versed in ebay procedures, do a bit of research before proceeding with a dispute and even before communicating any more with the seller. You have rights as a buyer and some power, but you can end up forfeiting some of the rights or the power if you proceed incorrectly. For example, if the seller is a regular seller, they care about their feedback, so you have some power there. But if you say anything like "pay the return shipping or I'll give you bad feedback" then that is considered feedback extortion and any feedback you leave could be removed and an experienced seller knows it. This forum is a great place to get the Tivo-related info you need, look at the ebay discussion forums for the ebay info you need.
Just recently had someone sell me bad drive refused to refund I opened dispute ebay sent link to print shipping label. It may be new but I guarantee he will not have to pay shipping back. I would tell seller problem if he refuses refund and shipping start dispute.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #8
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
It could have had lifetime when the seller turned it off. Then he transferred the service to a new box, and shipped the TiVo to you. You turn it on, it still says "lifetime" since that's what it had when it was turned off, but then it connects to the TiVo service for the first time and updates its status and you lose the lifetime.

Hopefully this is just a misunderstanding and you can resolve it with the seller.
Not sure how the seller could have transferred the lifetime to another box. Tivo doesn't do that unless it is an S1 put in service before a certain date or possibly if you claim a box as broken they will charge a reduced fee to lifetime a similar box. From what I've read here, that fee is usually $149 which is more than the seller would have paid for another S2 with lifetime so it doesn't seem to make sense. What could have happened is that the seller took the drive from the lifetimed box and put it into another S2 before shipping it.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:

I can return it, at my expense. I guess I have to. I'm just so aggrivated--I know this is the only kind of box that works with AFN and we are being sent overseas.
Now that the status has changed, does the System Info page still show the same TSN and does it match the label on the back? If the drive was swapped into your box from another box that had lifetime, then the intial display would be the TSN and status for the other box. After the connection to Tivo the TSN would change if it doesn't match what is on the motherboard. I have swapped lifetime motherboards into better cases before so the label does not match the System Info screen. Any of this is possible if the seller thought that the TSN and/or lifetime sub was actually somewhere on the hard drive. The TSN is in a chip on the motherboard and the subscription is tied to the TSN. That's why upgrading to a new hard drive does not affect the sub.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:01 PM   #10
ComputerLover

tivo's back..tivo service number#... call tivo customer or support... if tivo service number# lifetime .. they will answer yes or no?
ComputerLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:26 AM   #11
Series3Sub

OP: Assuming you've tried to work it out with seller, you should open a dispute and ask for FULL REFUND. If ebay finds in your favor, and based on what you've written on this thread, you will receive a full refund and no shipping charges.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #12
just_lele

The seller is being great about it. Refunding me in full, including what I pay to ship it back. Have not opened an ebay dispute--hopefully won't need to.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:19 AM   #13
windracer
joined the 10k club

Good to hear! Did they offer any explanation as to why the lifetime service was missing?

|
Old 05-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #14
sharkster

Just an FYI, in case you are not a seasoned ebay/paypal user -

Be sure to keep an eye on things just in case the seller is trying to dink you around until you run out of recourse time. I believe you have 45 days, from the sale date, to deal with it. Sometimes a seller will act like they are being agreeable and then will stretch things out until you are screwed. With electronic purchases I'm always super careful on ebay.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #15
oregonman

Quote:
The seller is being great about it. Refunding me in full, including what I pay to ship it back. Have not opened an ebay dispute--hopefully won't need to.
Make sure you get delivery confirmation on the return shipping. It is required if you end up needing to open a dispute.
oregonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:55 AM   #16
unitron

Quote:
I recently bought a tivo on ebay--a series 2 with lifetime. There was a picture of the screen showing its TSN and that it had lifetime. When I got it, I started setting up, saw that it said lifetime and called tivo while doing guided setup. It then changed to 7: never set up. The tivo people said there was NO lifetime service on this box, but at one time it did have a plan.

Any ideas? Tivo customer service was less than helpful.

Thanks.
And the moral of that story is when buying a TiVo with Product Lifetime Service you get the TSN, call TiVo or use the chat function on the support page, and tell them you're thinking of buying it, here's the TSN, what's the account status?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #17
JACKASTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonz View Post
And you will get full refund for the fradulent service this ebayer sold you. I have had a few problems with ebay sellers and found that once a dispute is open with Paypal its amazing how fast you get your money back or its resolved. Bare in mind that you have a limited window to open a dispute.
JACKASTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #18
shwru980r

An S2 without lifetime service isn't worth the cost to ship it back. Make sure the money is refunded before you send it back. The seller could have you send it to another address with a different zip code that isn't linked to their seller account. If they never actually refund your money and you have to file a dispute, your confirmation number will be rejected because it has the wrong zip code.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #19
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Not sure how the seller could have transferred the lifetime to another box. Tivo doesn't do that unless it is an S1 put in service before a certain date or possibly if you claim a box as broken they will charge a reduced fee to lifetime a similar box. From what I've read here, that fee is usually $149 which is more than the seller would have paid for another S2 with lifetime so it doesn't seem to make sense. What could have happened is that the seller took the drive from the lifetimed box and put it into another S2 before shipping it.
That's not true.

TiVo had a program to transfer lifetime from your series 2 to a series 3 for $199 for quite some time.

Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #20
cannonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKASTOR View Post
And you will get full refund for the fradulent service this ebayer sold you. I have had a few problems with ebay sellers and found that once a dispute is open with Paypal its amazing how fast you get your money back or its resolved. Bare in mind that you have a limited window to open a dispute.
You should have read the messages from seller, he was so confident messages we sent back and forth would win him dispute despite how the opposite it actually was. Ten minutes after opening dispute I got mail with shipping label link telling me I would get refund when he received package.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #21
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
And the moral of that story is when buying a TiVo with Product Lifetime Service you get the TSN, call TiVo or use the chat function on the support page, and tell them you're thinking of buying it, here's the TSN, what's the account status?
That's great advice. Thank You! I have a S2 with Lifetime that I want to sell and I wondered how a potential buyer could know for sure that it does, indeed, have Lifetime.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #22
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
This does not work if the seller is a fraud as he could give you a TSN that has lifetime and send you a TiVo without Lifetime, the best way is to look at his feedback and if you get a bad deal open a dispute so your covered, (if the dispute is solved without problems you can still give the seller good feedback and the dispute does not hurt the seller) than send back the unit and have tracking for that shipment.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #23
lpwcomp

If it were me, I would open a dispute with e-bay. I don't see any way this could be an accident.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote